How's your GWII doing - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 413 Old 02-04-2008, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a problem with my replacement lamp I’m on my second one and they both didn’t
look right (very dark, hotspots, out of focus). I ordered a XL2000U lamp but noticed the bulb in the housing is smaller and is 120W not 100W like the OEM bulb I took out.

Does anyone know if their new bulb is different than the original (inside the housing).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 413 Old 02-04-2008, 11:23 AM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
The common terminology, I have seen used, is as follows:

Sony, and most other vendors, sell the lamp assembly, this is the lamp with the bulb already installed.

A few vendors sell just the bulb, to be installed in the lamp, by the customer.
post #273 of 413 Old 02-04-2008, 11:52 AM

The bulb is my concern, it doesn’t look like the original 100W bulb that I took out.
post #274 of 413 Old 02-05-2008, 11:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteG View Post

I have a problem with my replacement lamp I'm on my second one and they both didn't
look right (very dark, hotspots, out of focus). I ordered a XL2000U lamp but noticed the bulb in the housing is smaller and is 120W not 100W like the OEM bulb I took out.

Does anyone know if their new bulb is different than the original (inside the housing).

I'd have to say it's not the XL200U lamp then. It sould only be 100w.

Di you get just the lamp. Or the Housing with the lamp?

" I say down with stretch-O-vision and any channel to use it! "
post #275 of 413 Old 02-06-2008, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by QZ1 View Post

The common terminology, I have seen used, is as follows:

Sony, and most other vendors, sell the lamp assembly, this is the lamp with the bulb already installed.

A few vendors sell just the bulb, to be installed in the lamp, by the customer.

I've not seen any "common terminology" for this unfortunately, and in any case don't agree with yours. Couch Patato gets it right IMO: there's the lamp, and there's the Housing with the lamp. Alternatively the "lamp holder/assembly" perhaps.

BTW a Sylvania professional I met many years ago used to say in her presentations, making fun of that commonest of terms: "It's a lamp, not a bulb. Bulbs grow in Holland!"
post #276 of 413 Old 02-06-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch Patato View Post

I'd have to say it's not the XL200U lamp then. It sould only be 100w.

Di you get just the lamp. Or the Housing with the lamp?

I got the housing and lamp (XL2000U) from "laptops for less". and I agree with you
its the lamp thats wrong and I told them the two housings I got had the wrong lamp in them, they were smaller and 120W they were not the same as the one I took out.

They told me it was the right lamp and I couldn't have a refund just a replacement, so another one is on its way(3rd). I said the number on the box is right but the wrong lamp in it,
with no luck.

http://store.l-f-l.com/cgi-bin/cp-ap...P=BAC-shopping
post #277 of 413 Old 02-07-2008, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Good luck. I bought a generic lamp and assembly from laptops for less and it flickered. I sent it back, but the replacement also flickered. I was out $150 and ended up buying direct from Sony. No more flicker. Live and learn.
post #278 of 413 Old 02-07-2008, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I bought my LAMP and HOUSING in one solid unit (looks exactly the same as the NIB unit) for $144+$25 shipping to Canada.. took 48 hours to get across the border.. YMMV

http://www.electrified.com/Catalog/I...0%20%20XL-2000

PSN: Wrassle
360: Burnt of Wrassl
post #279 of 413 Old 02-08-2008, 06:14 PM

Did these "aftermarket" bulbs come in Sony boxes?? I bought one from Sony and it cleary is in a Sony cardboard box. I would only buy OEM lamp from Sony if you can. As I recall, it was only about $200 from them.

Also, bought GWII in Nov 2002, 7200+ hours, still going strong. New bulb sitting in closet for 2+ years!
post #280 of 413 Old 02-10-2008, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteG View Post

I have a problem with my replacement lamp I'm on my second one and they both didn't

The next generation of GW TVs - i.e., "GW III" - increased the wattage to 120, IIRC. The GW II is 100w.
post #281 of 413 Old 02-11-2008, 06:18 AM

The GWIII shouldn't use the XL2000U lamp than, I think they got a bunch of XL2000U boxes with the wrong bulb in them.
post #282 of 413 Old 02-11-2008, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Not sure if anyone's tried: installing 120w lamp in place of the original 100watt? Wondering if it works or if maybe the GWII's power supply isn't up-to starting and driving it w/o flicker. If it DOES work, what's the picture like...

P.S. bdoyledimou, is it clear from your assy from Electrified that it is not a Sony? Their website says "Mfr - Sony" but then has a note below "For factory OEM replacement click here" instead.
post #283 of 413 Old 02-11-2008, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post

Not sure if anyone's tried: installing 120w lamp in place of the original 100watt? Wondering if it works or if maybe the GWII's power supply isn't up-to starting and driving it w/o flicker. If it DOES work, what's the picture like...

Yes I have, thats why I've had problems the last few weeks the 120W bulb does not work right in my GWII.
post #284 of 413 Old 04-14-2008, 06:34 AM

Just replaced my first lamp in GWII purchased in March 2003. 22520 hours. Bought the new bulb about 4 years ago.
post #285 of 413 Old 04-14-2008, 06:41 AM

Keep a close eye on the pix, I believe this is what triggers the blue LCD to fail .The very bright lamp tends to sear the well worn panel.Look for blue blotching, streaking,striping ,in the coming weeks.
I believe the Sony light engine replacement extends to aug.08.
post #286 of 413 Old 04-14-2008, 07:35 AM

Sorry for the cross-post, but probably should have posted this here the first time. Posted this on the "UMR Does GWII" thread, but is more applicable here.

I was having a problem with the GWII not turning on reliably, and a lamp replacement did not alleviate the problem.

Replaced the ballast (aka "lamp driver" aka "lamp power block" - Sony PN 146851015 $263) this weekend, and it was a successful fix for the above.

Research was requesting the number of blinks of the lamp LED. There was no blink code, it was just blinking repeatedly with no pattern. Repeated attempts to turn the set on would eventually turn it on and stay on, but it frequently took 3-4 times to get the set to turn on. As mentioned before, a lamp replacement didn't fix it.

So, a successful fix for the record. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and help.

Thanks,
/templeofdoom
post #287 of 413 Old 04-14-2008, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshightower View Post

Just replaced my first lamp in GWII purchased in March 2003. 22520 hours.

That's >12hours of On time per day! I don't think so!!!!???!!! Whaddya think, Couch Patato, is this possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by templeofdoom View Post

Replaced the ballast (aka "lamp driver" aka "lamp power block" - Sony PN 146851015 $263) this weekend, and it was a successful fix for the above.

Many thanks for posting your successful repair experience!

Though the cost is just a LITTLE bit high, isn't it!
post #288 of 413 Old 04-14-2008, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post

Many thanks for posting your successful repair experience!

Though the cost is just a LITTLE bit high, isn't it!

Yup, I agree, price seems high. But it is direct from Sony. I found a guy on ebay but he was charging a few dollars more than Sony and wanted to add a core charge above that until return of core...

And the Sony came with a core return slip, I might even get back a portion of the $263... (not counting on it though).
post #289 of 413 Old 05-03-2008, 07:11 PM

My GWII has a new problem.

There is some discoloration in the blue channel. Some of the blue pixels appear lighter than others in a wide and changing pattern that looks like it could be dust on the LCD.

This pattern appears all the way across the picture but changes like a shifting sand dune. It moves around, sometimes better than other times but never goes away. I don't see it moving, just notice over weeks that it changes.

I am thinking it could be dust on the LCD. I have replaced the bulb unit twice and I noticed it soon after the second replacement. The bulb unit is a Sony part.

Has anyone else seen something like this? Any way to disassemble enough of it to clean inside?

TIA
post #290 of 413 Old 06-02-2008, 09:38 AM

I purchased my GWII in 2003 and replaced the lamp assembly last year. I recently noticed significant SD ghosting and found the UMR image tweak in about 30 seconds, and made the correction in about 10 minutes and now the picture looks great! Otherwise no problems whatsoever with this unit. We are still very pleased with it.

Damon
post #291 of 413 Old 06-15-2008, 11:09 AM

Just check my KF-50XBR800 and it has 14,771 on its original bulb. I am looking into purchasing a replacement bulb XL-2000U. Has anyone purchased and installed a bulb in the last couple of months? Where did you get it from and at what price? Bulb only or entire casing w/bulb?

Thanks!
post #292 of 413 Old 08-27-2008, 01:03 PM

just google 'Sony XL-2000U replacement bulb' and you'll get a handfull. Also try OneKall.com.

ScottPro
Conifer Mountain, CO
post #293 of 413 Old 09-06-2008, 07:54 PM

Anyone having a problem with a very slight greenish "tinge" on the right side of the screen?? I just started noticing this recently. The bottom right corner appears to be slightly green and it runs up the right side of the screen. Very ligth and not horrible (yet).

Obviously spending big $$ on these older units isn't something I really want to do.
post #294 of 413 Old 10-23-2008, 06:08 AM

MChilli - I am seeing something I think very similar to you, but in my case its in the lower center of the screen ... I'm going to try and attach a jpeg I created to simulate what I am seeing. Is it the same as what you're seeing only in a different part of the screen ?

Anyone have any suggestions ?

Only thing I might add is that I recently replaced the bulb after the set was going off on its own upon first start up for the day, some 1-3 minutes after start up, and it would do this 2-3 times before staying on. I did not notice the red light blinking pattern. I saved the old bulb and even had another spare to swap out to see what effect it had on the greenish tint. The greenish tint is there regardless of the bulb unit installed.

Take a look at the jpeg attachment. BTW I have a Sony 60XBR800 unit purchased I want to say in 2002.

Ideas ? Thanks in advance.
LL
post #295 of 413 Old 10-23-2008, 07:35 PM

Ouch, that would be quite noticeable. The slight green tint or fringe is on the right side of the screen, just barely there, running from top to bottom. I also kept my old buld, I have not tried putting it back in to see if the problem somehow comes from a new bulb, I will do that at some point.

If you keep the bulb, you can just buy a new light and keep the housing, saving about $100. I found a source on Amazon selling the bulb. Didn't buy one, the first bulb lasted almost 6 years.

Not sure what to do about this, love the set, fits the room well. Hate to see it go bad, might not for years yet to come. Sorry to see Sony exit the rear projection market.
post #296 of 413 Old 10-24-2008, 12:53 PM

So far its not so noticeable but bothers me just knowing its there and therefore not delivering the best picture (yes I'm an engineer).

So I guess I need to decide if its worth paying someone to come out and take a look at it or try something on my own (cleaning, etc). I was hoping, of course, that someone would chime in and tell us what part it was (hopefully not the optical block - big bucks) so that I could attempt the repair myself.

Also sorry to see Sony exit the RP market but more so since they didn't provide a flat panel LCD replacement for the 60+ inch models. I am in need of another large TV but have been waiting for Sony to offer an affordable flat panel 60 or 70 inch version ... and waiting and waiting.
post #297 of 413 Old 10-24-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crsanders View Post

So far its not so noticeable but bothers me just knowing its there and therefore not delivering the best picture (yes I'm an engineer).

So I guess I need to decide if its worth paying someone to come out and take a look at it or try something on my own (cleaning, etc). I was hoping, of course, that someone would chime in and tell us what part it was (hopefully not the optical engine - big bucks) so that I could attempt the repair myself.

Also sorry to see Sony exit the RP market but more so since they didn't provide a flat panel LCD replacement for the 60+ inch models. I am in need of another large TV but have been waiting for Sony to offer an affordable flat panel 60 or 70 inch version ... and waiting and waiting.

Looks like the dreaded OB to me. Sorry guy.

Also, i looked at Sony's web site, they are taking orders for the 70 inch lcd, but it is not cheap, 16K bucks.
post #298 of 413 Old 10-24-2008, 05:24 PM

I was afraid you were going to say that ...

Regarding the 70" LCd, that's why I used the keyword "affordable" ... I think they're getting such high scrap rates on the larger panels and their so new ... be a while before they get affordable. But thanks for making me go look and gasp !!
post #299 of 413 Old 10-25-2008, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crsanders View Post

The greenish tint is there regardless of the bulb unit installed.

Looking at the pic, I wonder if it's possible that one of the panels or filters got overheated somehow. You don't have a lot of power failures, do you? Or (horrors) your GWII on a wall switch? Sorry, but I had to ask...wondering how this would happen.
post #300 of 413 Old 10-26-2008, 02:03 PM

Being in S Florida, we have a great deal of power issues, which is why I have whole house surge suppression installed plus local surge suppression at the unit along with an uninterruptible power supply to deal with the rapid power outages, those that are down and up again in a second or less. Unit is powered on and off with the remote only (ie no wall switch, allows the fan to keep running).

Since I posted I've found a ton of others out there, mostly with the newer model, who have had similar issues corrected with a new optical block, but that is so expensive, makes you consider scrapping and getting a new set.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page