How's your GWII doing - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 413 Old 02-27-2004, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In addition to the electrostatic hum coming from fan area (not the fan itself), I now notice there is a somewhat faint vertical bar on right side of picture, when viewing material in 4:3. The ghost-like bar appears to be reddish/orange in color. It is about 1/2 inch thick. This seems to be a recent development. (I have had the set for about 8-9 months).

Ideas?

Though I very much like the GWII's picture quality- I have definitely NOT been impressed with Sony's quality control. For a $4000 set, I expect more.

Not to mention Sony techs who have no idea how to fix the set... any recommendations for Sony warranty techs for the NoVA / DC area?

THX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 413 Old 02-27-2004, 09:03 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Originally posted by TheGloucesterman
In addition to the electrostatic hum coming from fan area (not the fan itself), I now notice there is a somewhat faint vertical bar on right side of picture, when viewing material in 4:3. The ghost-like bar appears to be reddish/orange in color. It is about 1/2 inch thick. This seems to be a recent development. (I have had the set for about 8-9 months).

This is probably an image revision problem. Try the user menu first. The service menu adjustment usually works if the user menu is not effective.
post #93 of 413 Old 02-27-2004, 03:04 PM

Thanks- that did help. Substantially lessened the ghosting- but even with best user menu setting, it is still visible.

Can this be fixed in the service menu?

Any ideas why this would deteriorate over time?

thx again
post #94 of 413 Old 02-27-2004, 03:43 PM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Originally posted by TheGloucesterman
Thanks- that did help. Substantially lessened the ghosting- but even with best user menu setting, it is still visible.

Can this be fixed in the service menu?

Any ideas why this would deteriorate over time?

thx again

Service Menu Ghosting tweak. Use this if you still have ghosting problems after adjusting Image Revision. Set Image Revision to Auto before adjusting this.

D GM TG (Category)

V POS D -

I am not sure why this changes over time, but several people including myself have seen this. I think it could be an issue with ground loops and changing equipment, but I don't really know.
post #95 of 413 Old 03-13-2004, 09:23 PM

My 50"GWII is one year old today with about 1650 hours on it. UMR's tweaks done except for gray scale and filter. Picture tilt was fixed on warranty by shimming the optical block and is fine now. No visible pixel problems from my seat (11' back) and no other real issues. The fans might be slightly louder than new but still quite quiet. I can't detect any dimming of the picture up to now, so, overall, I'm very pleased with this set.
post #96 of 413 Old 03-15-2004, 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by randall
After earlier reporting here my total satisfaction with my 15-month old GWII, a series of green blobs have just cropped up (some have called them crop circles) in the screen. Major culprit seems to be dust on LCD panels. Here are some threads reporting similar GWII/III issues:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=346599

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=350368

For me they appear as a trail of overlapping quarter-sized green circles spanning about four inches. Will be utilizing my extended warranty -- thank goodness I have it.

OK .. got my baby back from Ultimate Electronics today.* The green blobs/dust particles have been cleared away, but my baby came back bruised! The top edge of the base now has 1/4" dent, and a bit of the plastic at very bottom edge has been chipped away. It's very minor, and I don't think it'd show up in a picture. The bruising is akin to what might happen if you knocked your furniture with a vacuum cleaner. But all you GWII owners know how that foot sticks out at you. It can't be seen from a normal viewing position, but using a dead pixel analogy, it can be seen about 3 feet away.

What to do? Ignore it? Insist that the foot be replaced and risk further damage? When it was picked up from the house, I signed a form indicating there was no exterior damage so I'd have a strong case. When it was returned, another copy of the same form indicated the damage. The delivery guys had me sign it to indicate they picked it up (from the shop) that way.

This is kind of like what you go through after you've used movers for a big move. You notice minor scuffs on your furniture that weren't there before. Since this issue is not specific to the GWII, let me know if there's a better thread this should be posted to.

*The other story: After 9 business days of just checking with the receptionist, I asked to speak directly to the tech. He said he couldn't find anything wrong! I had him turn on the set while on the phone, and literally had to instruct him where to look. The good news is that he took care of it on the spot, but how long would it have sit there if I didn't call?
post #97 of 413 Old 03-17-2004, 07:22 PM

I have an opportunity to sell my GWII for $2900... debating if worth it.
Still hear static hum near fan- havent had tech come yet. Somewhat annoying. Overall still happy with picture, but wonder if it would be worth selling and looking for something else "down the road.'' From what I gather, the GWIIIs are not a quality improvement over the IIs. hmm.... What would you do?
post #98 of 413 Old 03-18-2004, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The new ones are crap. What would you buy? That sounds like a good price to get for a TV that old.

About the tilt, I think I know what it is - it appears to be some barrel distortion or misalignment of the lens - if you look closely, the top and bottom tilt into the middle of the image on the left side.

I've seen this with my 20mm Nikkor lens - not so much that there's distortion, but if the lens is not absolutely square with the rest of the path, one side or the other can exhibit this squeezing.

Ron
post #99 of 413 Old 03-18-2004, 09:54 AM

UUronl:

The picture tilt (normally left side down) still seems to be all too common a condition even with today's GWIIIs and some Samsung DLPs. I believe that you are correct with your assumption that the lens is not exactly square with the mirror or screen. It is well known that these extremely wide angle lenses will produce some barrel or pincushion distortion which is mildly evident on my set, but the optical block definitely was not projecting a picture that was level with the bezel. This was corrected by shimming up one side the optical block which worked, but is not ideal. I am left with a level picture but with slight trapezoidal distortion at the top (as others have mentioned here) that could probably be corrected with some vertical adjustment, but I don't want to press my luck. This is a lot less annoying than the horizontal tilt that is often evident with he amount of graphics (tickers, etc) that are common to today's programming.

There really should be mechanical adjusters on the optical block mount to allow for variances in the construction of the set's chassis.
post #100 of 413 Old 04-16-2004, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

I have noticed some flicker, but only when the image is all or mostly green. I see it easily on ratings before a trailer (where the whole screen is green with white text), or watching golf. Does it make any sense that green would be the only color to flicker?
post #101 of 413 Old 04-16-2004, 10:20 PM

I've had my 50" GWII on a stand that won't hold my new M&K S150 center speaker. I also cannot fit all of my components in my current stand.

I'm looking at the Salamander Synergy Triple20. A friend of mine has his 60" GWIII XBR on this stand and it works great, but the GWIII's screen is about 5" closer to the bottom of the TV than the GWII. I'm worried that if I put the GWII on the Triple20 that I'm going to be sitting too far below the optimimum viewing angle (because the TV will be higher than it is now on my ~15" tall stand). My viewing distance is about 11'.

Has anyone put a GWII on this stand? Do I have anything to worry about?

Thanks,
Tom
post #102 of 413 Old 04-17-2004, 08:47 PM

Liked: 17
I get the same flicker on green. It's not all greens, but I can always see it when watching "The Family Guy" and Lois has her green shirt on (it's animiated, so the green shirt is basically a big blob of the same shade of green, so it stands out). The Tivo fast forward/progress bar also flickers.
post #103 of 413 Old 04-17-2004, 10:30 PM

tlavelle - I've got a couple Salamander Single 20s connected by 2 bridges in the middle. I couldn't fit my center channel in the triple 20. Same hight though, just a little bit wider. I've got the 60" GWIII, and haven't noticed any viewing problems with the TV on the stand - as a matter of fact, HDTV is down right stunning when sitting at a normal distance.

Hope that helps..
mdk2
post #104 of 413 Old 04-18-2004, 07:43 PM

mdk2 - do you have the WE or the XBR? I know that the Triple20 works great with the 60" GWIII XBR - my friend has that setup now. I'm concerned because the bottom of my GWII's screen is about 5" higher than the bottom of the GWIII XBR's - I'm worried that my set will be too high and I'll be off the ideal axis for viewing.

Now, if you have the WE, which I believe has a similar distance between the bottom of the base and the bottom of the screen (~12"), then your feedback would be very relevant to my question. If you have the GWIII XBR on the 21" Salamander, though, then you've got the same screen height now that I have with my GWII on a 15" stand, which I consider to be perfect.

Maybe I'm worrying over nothing - at an 11-12' viewing distance the difference in vertical viewing angle that 5" of stand height makes is probably pretty small; I'd just like confirmation that the GWII works fine on a 21" stand before I pull the trigger on the Triple20.

Thanks,
Tom
post #105 of 413 Old 04-18-2004, 08:00 PM

tlavelle - I have the KF-60WE610. We have fold-up chairs in the room while waiting for the theater seats to arrive, so our seating distance tends to float between 9" and 11". I feel as though I'm looking ever so slightly up at the screen - If I look straight ahead, my eyes hit the screen about 1/3 the way up instead of 1/2 way up...

mdk2
post #106 of 413 Old 05-16-2004, 07:24 PM

I ahve started to see a green shadow that is offset to the left? Any ideas?
post #107 of 413 Old 06-05-2004, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Does anyone here have-or-use a scalar (e.g. iscan hd) or HTPC or one of the new receivers (that up-converts all incoming video to component)? I have a Tivo and DVD and Laserdisc and other video inputs that I would like to switch-and-convert for output to my 60XBR800 on 3 component cables, rather than try to run cables from all these to my GWII.

Trying to make it thru the maze of options and it's pretty mind-boggling! Who does the above and are you happy w/your solution?
post #108 of 413 Old 06-06-2004, 09:10 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Laserfan,

Whether the receiver or GWII converts the incoming signal to component is not terribly important unless the receiver does a poor job of it. The electronics in the the GWII are very good. I would not waste any sleep over this. Converting 480p to 720p or 1080i for these TV's is not the best solution either. The TV must scale the signal to 768p. The only good reason to have a DVD player that sends 720p to these sets is for PAL. Anything else is degrading the image to some extent. Although it may be slight at best.

Stick with a quality 480p player and you will be getting the best PQ available on a GWII. I use a Denon DVD-3800 with all the tweaks. It is fabulous for NTSC. However, PAL would benefit from proper 720p scaling.
post #109 of 413 Old 06-23-2004, 08:08 AM

Well they took my baby away yesterday!

A couple of days ago, my GWII started turning itself off. The standby light would start flashing and the screen would go blank then it would come back on about 30 seconds later. It was very intermittent (couple times a day) but then it started happening with great frequency . . . until it wouldn't stay on for more than a minute (even when cold).

The service guy came and said he didn't know what was going on so he had to take it in and hook it up to a computer.

BTW, I bought it in January 2003 and hadn't had ANY problems with it until just now! Thank god I got the extended warranty . . . I am interested to see how much this costs to fix.
post #110 of 413 Old 06-23-2004, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

Did you try unpluging the lamp assem. at all & resetting it? I dought it is the lamp but ya never know. Hope they get it back to you soon!

" I say down with stretch-O-vision and any channel to use it! "
post #111 of 413 Old 06-24-2004, 08:14 AM

I did a search on Sony's website and this must be a known problem, since it is listed in their knowledge base. It suggests to unplug for 30 secs to reset (which I tried). It then says that it needs service if this doesn't work.

I am staring at a 27" JVC 15 feet away and it is killing me!
post #112 of 413 Old 06-24-2004, 11:31 AM

I just installed my HD Tivo and was calibrating Overscan using the HDNET test patterns (using DVI input). I was adjusting MID1 DHPH to center the horizontal image. I started at 131. As the value crossed from 139 to 140 there was a notable increase in brightness of perhaps 20%. Any ideas why adjusting the image across a specific point would lead to an abrupt increase in brightness?
post #113 of 413 Old 07-01-2004, 06:04 PM

I've had my GWII for about a year and a half now and it's still running great! Thought I might've had a problem a coupla months ago when I noticed some strange intermittant color shifts but after doing some research, discovered it was the DirecTv/Tivo system feeding the screen and not the GWII. Whew!!! Meanwhile, I've been trying out Hi-Def cable lately (Adelphia has a no-contract trial, so what the heck) and the few HD channels they offer are amazing to see on that screen. It's what the set was meant for.

But to go along with that great image, I've decided to upgrade my sound system. I've started with a new, larger, center channel from B&W. What a difference, esp. for movies! Like HD for audio! Only problem is where do I put the damn thing? It's 18" wide x 12" deep and 20lbs. -- and that was the SMALLER one!

Underneath the screen it either blocks the components (I have the Sony stand) or slightly higher it blocks the GWII's IR sensor, et al. Obviously it would be best above the screen. But I certainly don't want to teeter it on that narrow rail. I've seen some other brands of RP sets that actually have a shelf and brace that flips up on the back. Anyone have any idea whether such a solution exists for the GWII?

Looking at the back, I notice some threaded screw holes (yes I know in the manual they talk about attaching guy-wires to the wall for stability), but I also notice some other indents and even a small 2x3 panel almost at the bottom of the sloping back. Any idea what this is for? Could it be a possible socket for a shelf brace? It seems to have its cover glued on so I don't want to pry any further than my fingernail will take me.

BTW, the set is free standing away from the wall in a giant loft-style setting so wallmounting or cabinetry doesn't seem to be an option. Any ideas?
post #114 of 413 Old 07-01-2004, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Accidentally shot mine while cleaning my .357. My wife is not happy.
post #115 of 413 Old 07-01-2004, 07:51 PM

Wow! I really hope your kidding. If you're not, then your wife has a right to be unhappy. You were cleaning a loaded gun?
post #116 of 413 Old 07-01-2004, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

BTW, the set is free standing away from the wall in a giant loft-style setting so wallmounting or cabinetry doesn't seem to be an option. Any ideas?

You might try suspending it from the ceiling with some high strength "nearly invisible" wire. In addition to solving your problem it might make for a good conversation or two.

Jimbo

Jimbo--------Bomb's Away
post #117 of 413 Old 07-02-2004, 06:03 AM

I'm a newbie so be gentle...LOL!

Where is the GWII settings that umr posted. I cannot find them off of the links posted. I'm hoping to obtain that incredible picture that every one is raving about. Any help is most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jr
post #118 of 413 Old 07-02-2004, 06:11 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Originally posted by Jr Lew
I'm a newbie so be gentle...LOL!

Where is the GWII settings that umr posted. I cannot find them off of the links posted. I'm hoping to obtain that incredible picture that every one is raving about. Any help is most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jr

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...95#post3770895
post #119 of 413 Old 07-02-2004, 06:18 AM

Man, that was quick! I can't wait to adjust my settings and watch 'Nemo'.

My 3 year old thanks you.

Jr
post #120 of 413 Old 07-02-2004, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

I see quite a few people complaining about increased fan noise. I've had my GWII for over a year and the noise starts to be a little annoying. I've read most of the posts about this and can't find one that offers a fix for this problem. Did I miss it?
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page