Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 413 Old 12-11-2005, 06:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by XBRSteve View Post

Mine is starting to have a ghosting like effect around objects. Could this be caused by the lamp diminishing? How do you check the lamp hours?

Has anyone who had the ghosting effect changed their bulb yet?. The Pinkish ghosting on my set is getting worse and is especialy noticeable in HD when there is contract between a dark object and bright background. The ghosting is getting noticeable on any programing as well and very annoying. I have not changed the bulb yet and the set is going on three years old. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as the Sony people seem to have no clue about anything, and I'd like to avoid the $250 service call when changing the bulb might refresh my Wega.Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 413 Old 12-11-2005, 07:29 PM

Replacing the lamp did not solve that pinkish ghosting on my set. My set is about as old as yours.
post #183 of 413 Old 12-11-2005, 09:14 PM

Thats upsetting, I tried changing the image revision as well in the setup menu with no change. Any other things that can be done to solve this problem?, it almost looks like a convergence problem (although I know that shouldn't happen with and LCD projector).
post #184 of 413 Old 12-12-2005, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

I had this problem back 2 years ago. You have to go into the sevice menu to adjust it even more that what the setup menu can do. UMR gave me the answer right after I posted. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post3113091

By the way I think the photo says it all about my Lamp.

" I say down with stretch-O-vision and any channel to use it! "
post #185 of 413 Old 12-12-2005, 12:14 PM

Thanks for the info, I'm going to check it out and try it. Was it complicated?
post #186 of 413 Old 12-12-2005, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

If you have never been into the service menu I would start at the begining of that thread. UMR does a great job describing it. Once you get used to navigating through the sevice menue it's not really that hard.

post #187 of 413 Old 12-12-2005, 01:30 PM

Couch Patato,
Thanks, seems to have worked. PQ seems a bit different now, but maybe its my eyes playing tricks. Seems that I have 7800 hours on the original bulb. Trying to decide whether I should just get a new bulb now as well.
post #188 of 413 Old 12-12-2005, 04:09 PM

Couch Patato,
So I'm in the service menu at the D GM TG gategory, but I can't find out what to do at that point. Cab you tell me what to do at that screen.
post #189 of 413 Old 12-12-2005, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Well, you need to change the value of "V POS D" in cat. "D GM TG" up or down. Watch the ghosting to see if it changes. It should. When the ghosting is gone then that's where to leave it. Then save the new setting. Then In the setup menue start with auto. If that does not work then try 1 to 3. I did send you a PM by the way.

post #190 of 413 Old 12-12-2005, 05:01 PM

Thanks CP,
Did the trick. I greatly appreciate the help. Now I might actualy start doing some of UMR's tweaks.
post #191 of 413 Old 12-12-2005, 06:52 PM

Daso,

Great! I'm very much a newbie with respect to messing with the service menu. I did download Version 5 of the tweak guide, but still not confident with what I am doing. Could you post some detailed description of what you did, and I'll give it a try as soon as my wife gets off the TV.

-- Dan
post #192 of 413 Old 12-12-2005, 09:34 PM

Dan,
I am a newbie to the service menu as well, and had the great fear of destroying my beloved GWII with a bad command. I followed the directions to get into the service menu,
I then scrolled down to the category "D GM TG" and then changed the value in "V POS D" to 3 (got rid of the ghosting). I went back and forth to the setting a few times before I got the nerve to make the change and save it. All said, it took a minute or two to get this done. Follow the directions of Couch Patato and UMR to be sure.
post #193 of 413 Old 02-14-2006, 01:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It looks like this is a regular adjustment needed on most GW sets. I finally had to go in and make this adjustment after the image ghosting became intolerable at 8800 hours. Worked perfectly. Incremented V POS D from 30 to 32.
post #194 of 413 Old 02-14-2006, 10:35 AM

I recently baught a Sony A10 think that it would be at least as good as my XBR850. I figured that a two year old CE divice would be not match for the newer models. Boy was I wrong...the A10 doesnt even come close to the performance of the 850 on so many different levels.

I have since returned the A10...
post #195 of 413 Old 02-14-2006, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox-SJ View Post

I recently baught a Sony A10 think that it would be at least as good as my XBR850. I figured that a two year old CE divice would be not match for the newer models. Boy was I wrong...the A10 doesnt even come close to the performance of the 850 on so many different levels.

I have since returned the A10...

I also saw your query over in the SXRD thread about 2006 sets being clear of green issues. FWIW, I'm currently on day 21 of my 60" SXRD Nov build eval and its not looking good. I think I'm going to try an exchange for a Jan build.

I also have the KF50XBR800 (aka GWII) with about 2050 hrs on it, is this what you mean by a XBR850? What did you find better about the XBR800/850 over the A10?
post #196 of 413 Old 02-16-2006, 06:25 PM

Replaced bulb just before christmas @8005 hrs, still worked, I thought maybe it was causing the image revision to be off, but the bulb did not fix that, found post by umr how to fix that, looks like brand new again!
post #197 of 413 Old 02-25-2006, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Hi fellow GWII owners. I had done the UMR tweaks long ago and about six months ago that same purple shadow to the left of black was seen on the display. It was not very noticeable until a few weeks ago. That's when I went searching. I had to change VPOS-D (under D-GMTG) from 30 to 31 and it went away. This is probably a coincident, but a few days later the lamp blew. Since I had just been in the service menu I had documented 6,848 hours. I had a replacement bulb on hand that I ordered probably 2 years ago. All I can say is WOW, the picture looks brand new again. I didn't notice how much dimmer it had gotten. It was still perfectly viewable even in daylight, but I'd say the picture is 20-30% brighter than it was just a few hours ago. Time to order a new backup bulb I suppose.

Thanks again for this thread. Without it I don't know how I would have figured out how to get rid of that reddish purple ghost from the image. (I had tried image revision in the user menu before the service menu change.)

Here's a picture of what I was seeing:

post #198 of 413 Old 02-25-2006, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nullman View Post

Hi fellow GWII owners....

Cool, glad you found and cured the problem and thanks for documenting it here.

My 50" GWII is doing great with only 2100 hours (3 years old now) on the first lamp. I liked it well enough after tweaking I hated to sell it (after getting the new and larger 60" SXRD) so today we just moved it to secondary duties for the kids area TV. I hope to keep it there if I can convince the wife that its not 'too big' for the spot!
post #199 of 413 Old 02-27-2006, 06:48 PM

Just words of encouragement. I have my GWII for about 3 years and my first bulb had a lamp time of 17,489. I have the TV on practically all day and night!!

My second bulb got burnt just under 5,000 hours. I'm not sure why. But I'm giving Sony a benefit of a doubt, since I did turn it on and off more often (2 year old runs by and press the Power button!!!>.<); I bought the lamp 1.5 years ago; lower fan rpm from wear. My main suspect is the power on and off, since the bulb is still a filament inside an unsealed bulb. The thing was that the first bulb still works just clicks off after 30 seconds. The second bulb literally exploded in bits inside....

I just bought 2 more lamp, and told them that if one of these blows in less than a year (8,700+ hours), they going to get all 3 of my bulb and a letter from my lawyer!!! I figure, I pay $150 for a lawyer to write a letter about the bulb with 3 spent bulb.
post #200 of 413 Old 03-01-2006, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

My bulb exploded to. The TV was on and had been for a few hours and I heard a POP and the TV went off. I was hopeful that it was only the bulb, and it was.

I do have a question. I am now noticing a slight magenta tint in the upper 1/2" of the screen. It goes from the left until about the middle of the screen, getting lighter as you move down or right from the top left. Admittedly, I had been messing around in the SM a few days before while fixing the VPOS D setting as mentioned in my previous post. I don't recall seeing this tint until after I replaced the bulb. I thought that maybe I had tightened the bulb to tight or didn't seat it properly, so I checked that but it didn't fix the problem. If the TV were CRT I'd say it almost appears that the TV needs to be degaused in the upper left. Any ideas? This could just be hopeful thinking, but it appears to be a lighter magenta tint today than it was when I first installed the new bulb.

Thanks,
Mike
post #201 of 413 Old 03-01-2006, 07:28 AM

Quote:

... I do have a question. I am now noticing a slight magenta tint in the upper 1/2" of the screen. It goes from the left until about the middle of the screen, getting lighter as you move down or right from the top left. ...

My GWII has a slightly pinker right side than the left side (on the original bulb at 2100 hrs). It's only noticable on white white screens, otherwise not a big deal at the small level of difference I see. I don't know if that is a result of my bulb aging or the LCD panels and I don't recall if it was there at the beginning either.
post #202 of 413 Old 03-02-2006, 11:36 AM

Quote:

My bulb exploded to. The TV was on and had been for a few hours and I heard a POP and the TV went off. I was hopeful that it was only the bulb, and it was.

I do have a question. I am now noticing a slight magenta tint in the upper 1/2" of the screen. It goes from the left until about the middle of the screen, getting lighter as you move down or right from the top left. Admittedly, I had been messing around in the SM a few days before while fixing the VPOS D setting as mentioned in my previous post. I don't recall seeing this tint until after I replaced the bulb. I thought that maybe I had tightened the bulb to tight or didn't seat it properly, so I checked that but it didn't fix the problem. If the TV were CRT I'd say it almost appears that the TV needs to be degaused in the upper left. Any ideas? This could just be hopeful thinking, but it appears to be a lighter magenta tint today than it was when I first installed the new bulb.

Thanks,
Mike

OMG, I thought I was the only one with the strange 1/4" magenta streak on the top of the screen after I replace the bulb. I've been looking all over for a solution, but still no luck. If anyone find anything, please post. Thanks in advance.
post #203 of 413 Old 03-03-2006, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicmoon88 View Post

OMG, I thought I was the only one with the strange 1/4" magenta streak on the top of the screen after I replace the bulb. I've been looking all over for a solution, but still no luck. If anyone find anything, please post. Thanks in advance.

Ah, the Internet...where you're rarely the only one. Mine too is 1/4" not 1/2" (was a typo). I still see it, but it does seem to be lightening. I am curious, did you reset the timer for the bulb in the SM after you replaced it? I did. The magenta bothers me enough that I am still trying to solve it. How long have you been suffering with the problem?

If I understood your previous post you have two bulbs now. Have you tried both? Do you see the upper left tint with both? If my bulb is defective (or old), I'd order another one if I knew it would make the problem go away.
post #204 of 413 Old 03-05-2006, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
No problems here. Initially I had a little ghosting, so I went into the basic menu and I think I did some kind of "shift" of an ms or something (???) and it took care of things. No problems at all.
I should mention that during the Olympics, when they (NBC) went from 16:9 HD to commercial-land of 4:3 SD, the screen made a "popping" sound every time. A friend with an SXRD said it was an NBC thing, as his consistently did it too. Never noticed it with anything else.
post #205 of 413 Old 03-21-2006, 10:57 PM

Lost my first bulb on a GWII tonight. I can't even begin to guess the hours on it. This display is about 3 yrs and on all the time. The hr count has to be huge. I have noticed its been dimming quite a lot for a long while. I'll be shopping in the AM for a replacement not having one on the shelf. Any advice on lamp purchase? (best price, shipping, reliablity of vendor?)

It cannot be true. UMR is gone! This is so wrong on so many levels. Reading this, - I will go cry over my dead display now.

PS. this is the II thread but for those who keep track, a generation GW1 in the family just lost its first lamp 2 months ago.
post #206 of 413 Old 03-21-2006, 11:38 PM
Advanced Member

I think most have order them from Sonystyle.com. I order mine a year ago & got it in about four days. I have yet to have to use it though. Still waiting for the original to die.

The latest problem I've had with my GWII is that it will shut down for 30 sec. or so & then fire back up. Very strange. I think maybe the temp sensor is doing it but the room temp is only 68 or so. I does not do it evey day but when it does it's doing it two or three times in an hour or so.

Also, when I go to turn it on it will fire up for a second( as in the fans kick on) but the bulb never lights & then the fans turn off. I have to hit the power button again to get it to turn on properly.

Oh, by the way. UMR is still around. He posted on the original UMR does the GWII just a few days ago. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=196558

post #207 of 413 Old 03-23-2006, 03:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch Patato View Post

I think most have order them from Sonystyle.com. I order mine a year ago & got it in about four days. I have yet to have to use it though. Still waiting for the original to die.

The latest problem I've had with my GWII is that it will shut down for 30 sec. or so & then fire back up. Very strange. I think maybe the temp sensor is doing it but the room temp is only 68 or so. I does not do it evey day but when it does it's doing it two or three times in an hour or so.

Also, when I go to turn it on it will fire up for a second( as in the fans kick on) but the bulb never lights & then the fans turn off. I have to hit the power button again to get it to turn on properly.

Oh, by the way. UMR is still around. He posted on the original UMR does the GWII just a few days ago. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=196558

Mine did something similar. Turned out only to be a sticky power button on the remote. I'm on my second Sony remote and it too is already a little sticky. They seem very intolerent to contamination from guacamole, burbon, peanuts, etc.
post #208 of 413 Old 03-28-2006, 11:13 AM

Quote:

Ah, the Internet...where you're rarely the only one. Mine too is 1/4" not 1/2" (was a typo). I still see it, but it does seem to be lightening. I am curious, did you reset the timer for the bulb in the SM after you replaced it? I did. The magenta bothers me enough that I am still trying to solve it. How long have you been suffering with the problem?

If I understood your previous post you have two bulbs now. Have you tried both? Do you see the upper left tint with both? If my bulb is defective (or old), I'd order another one if I knew it would make the problem go away.

I think I figured out somte things:

1) The magenta streak across the top, is probably caused by the natural sagging of the TV casing, kinda like a newly built house. If you push back the TV a bit, the streak disappears due to the angle displacement of the mirrors. Theres only 2 fixes to this, one, use the straps to anchor the TV to the wall at the top so the weight is no longer causing the sag. Two, which I don't suggest, is to open the optical engine, and re-adjust your mirrors!!!

2) The Bulb issue..... I reset my counters. and yes the first bulb is at 17,000+ hours. The HG lamp is the same type they use in street light, high pressured mercury sodium arc lamp. These lamps usually are rated at 10,000-24,000 hours. The life can be extended by cooling the lamp, since high temperature will prematurally burn the metal encased in the arc. The reduced hours from the second lamp seems to be caused by the aging or dust in the cooling fan. Since then, I cleaned it out and increase the fan time in the service menu from 10min to 15 mins.

My latest issue is trying to connect my gaming PC to the GWII with an Geoforce 6800 GS card. It sems that I have to connect to it with a DVI instead of component even if the manual says not to. Stay tune!!
post #209 of 413 Old 03-31-2006, 02:12 PM

I hate to be a bother....but my eyes are falling out trying to read through the 50+ pages of UMR does GWII thread. On black background! I have tried several downloads of the PDF file links I've found, scattered throughout the thread they are not funtioning for me.
I'm getting ....IE cannot open file not available link dead? (something like that).

I would dearly love to get my hands on UMR entire tweak manual (with or without his backup support )

Right now I'm looking for
1: How to access and change V POS D. I read through several pages but cannot find a post with the total description. I may be not utilizing search correctly? I just get UMR's whole thread (50+ pages ) when I search that keyword.
2: How to access the bulb life screen (I just replaced one want to see how long the last lasted)
3: How to reset bulb hr counter.

Edit: I do not have enter SM either. I found [POWER], [DISPLAY], [5], [Vol+], [POWER]. all within 4 secs/seperatly. I just keep hot quitting my new bulb. EEK! regardless of the [POWER] fore or aft; I leave off.

I think I have found/ and printed post how to enter SM, but beyond that I cant' find details.
Thanks very much for any guidance!
post #210 of 413 Old 03-31-2006, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

PM me with your e-mail addy & I'll send it to you.

As far as resetting the bulb timer here ya go.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post4163950

Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page