Hitachi LCD V500 Issues Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1811 Old 08-28-2004, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm about to do a Rent-to-own at www.rent-a-center.com since I have no credit or cash.
I see they have this Hitachi 50V500A model and am curious about it so I started reading these threads on here.
Is this the best LCD/CRT projector available for this price range like that was stated earlier in these threads? Or is one of the other models offered at the Rental place better choice.
www.rent-a-center.com
I think the way it works is that the sett is under full warranty by the rental store untill its paid off then the warranty is gone.

Also. Would it be a good idea to use a good solid surge protector with these sets? Like a Trip litte ISO4? Not some Office Max plastic pos strip.

Can I get any advice on this? Thank you

*Analog fans may be blind but Digital fans are deaf*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1811 Old 08-30-2004, 08:07 AM

To all the experts,
I know the 50v500 smudges are well documented.....mine have been on my set since it arrived in march '04. But here's the twist..

I know they appear worse on light background's, for instance the HD Olympic swimming events it was very noticeable.

But my smudges seem to DISAPPEAR for long periods of time, I can go weeks without seeing them AT ALL, and I'm looking for them. I know content varies, but Even when light backgrounds appear, the smudges aren't there. I logged 6 hours on the set this weekend, never a glimpse of a smudge. And my smudges are in two places, and rather large, they are very easy to pick out when they are there.....

I'm sure they are there the whole time, but what causes them to appear? I dont think it is content based, is it environmental?

Anyway I have a Hitachi tech coming out on Friday, and I'm going to be hard pressed to get a replacement screen if I cant show him the smudges.

Is there anything I can do to make them MORE noticeable for the tech, besides showing him WHITE backgrounds.(I'm searching my dvd's for those too)

Andy Stine
post #453 of 1811 Old 08-30-2004, 08:18 AM

Hey Andy. Do you have a digital or polaroid camera? If so, try and take a picture of the smudges and show them to the tech. Good Luck.
post #454 of 1811 Old 08-30-2004, 08:36 AM

noticed something on my 60v500a the other night and though i'd mention it - it may be connected to some problems people are seeing.

during the olympics, i saw what looked a bug landing on the face of someone who was being interviewed. looked a bit closer and it appeared instead to be a bug on the camera lens instead of on the person's face. the bug moved when the camera moved slightly. then eventually, i came to realize that the bug was inside my set, near the screen. not sure how it got there, but maybe it's attracted to the bright light, although in this particular case it looked more like a fly than a moth.

anyway, i wonder if it is possible that some smudges or other picture defects may be caused by this kind of thing - an insect landing or getting getting inside and maybe getting stuck on or near the bulb.
post #455 of 1811 Old 08-30-2004, 02:31 PM

From what I can gather these smudges may be temperature dependant. They seem to appear and stay for longer periods when the set is cool. Since it is summer out, the only thing I can suggest is hope for a cool night and leave the windows open so the room with the set is cool. Then when powered on they should appear. Or, like the others suggested, take a good dig photo of it to prove you are not seeing things.

Simon "Uwish"

love all things geeky
post #456 of 1811 Old 08-31-2004, 11:55 AM

Hello everyone.

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before because I couldn't find anything when I did a search on this thread for it. Anyhow, I have a Dish 811 receiver hooked up via DVI to my Hitachi 50v500. Recently I have noticed that my picture is kinda blurred and off, both HD and SD. I'm not sure how to describe the symptom. There seems to be a slight shadow or ghost for everything being displayed on the tv. I really notice it whenever I display the channel guide. Letter and lines have a distinct shadow to the left of them. I'm not really sure if this is a problem with my tv or with the receiver. I have switched it to component and is experiencing the same issues. I have a Zenith DVB318 dvd player that can upscale 480i to 720p and 1080i via both component and DVI. I'll test tonight to see if I get the same effect with that dvd player on the same inputs too. I was just curious to know if anyone else who might be experiencing this issue? I just noticed this during the Olympics. Any suggestions as to what this is?
post #457 of 1811 Old 09-01-2004, 04:07 AM

My buddy had the same issue on his 50V500 as well. Service Tech came out and went into the Service Manual and fix the Ghosting on it. It is very easy to do yourself if you have a service manual. But if its under warrenty have them fix it. I bought the service manual the other day and went into it last night and ghosting seems ok on my 50V500a. THere are so many little tweaks you can do but havent had a chance to look through the whole manual yet. Hope this helps. But it is a very simple fix.
post #458 of 1811 Old 09-01-2004, 06:39 AM

Thanks for the info jmeitz! It's good to hear that there is a simple fix for this. Had me worried for a moment there. I thought the LCD panels were out of alignment or something. Thanks for the 411.
post #459 of 1811 Old 09-02-2004, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Also make sure your sharpness is turned all the way down.

David
post #460 of 1811 Old 09-02-2004, 08:09 PM

Well well. This is ONE TASTY CROW I am eating.

I just got DVE from Amazon and did a QUICK calibration. Amazing difference.

I had been using "DVD Essentials" that I had back from 1996-7 and I knew the pluge was not quite as good as I could have used. I took a vew minutes and got the colors really balanced. DVDs looked much better right away.

So, I jumped over to one of the quintessential "underwater" HDTV shows on DiscoveryHD and though the picture looked like crap; then I remembed (duh) the the base settings are per-channel. WOW. When I got the brightness and contrast set right the picture seemd to jump out of the screen. Very nice.

Ok, so only one problem that came up in my little process: I realized that the picture alignment is quite a bit high. Using the DVE with the framing tools I realized that my picture is aimed too high (the "5% Safe Action" frame is actually all the way off the top of the screen). The bottom is just at the border of the overscan screen. Does anyone know what would be involved in adusting that, or should I (like I said in my last post) just bite the bullet and get a full ISF cal?
post #461 of 1811 Old 09-03-2004, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by aressa
So, I jumped over to one of the quintessential "underwater" HDTV shows on DiscoveryHD and though the picture looked like crap; then I remembed (duh) the the base settings are per-channel.

Per Input, not per channel.

Wired
post #462 of 1811 Old 09-03-2004, 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by wired711
Per Input, not per channel.

That's what I meant...
post #463 of 1811 Old 09-07-2004, 06:22 AM

A few weeks ago, Manpig returned to the thread to tell of his orange tint problem and easy fix.
I saw it, replied how the same thing happend to my tv.
I called for service.
The "technician" said, "oh yeah, thats a light engine replacement"
I said, "hold on bub, i think you can fix that via the service menu."
He says "These sets dont have a service menu"
I say, hold on"
i get online, and print off both Manpig's post AND Uwish's posts about the problem and the service menu fix.
He says, "hold on"
goes out to his truck, and comes back and says, "Oh, I didnt bring that service manual, i will have tocome back."
2 weeks later, they sent a different guy out, who sits down in front of my TV, and easily corrects the orange/pink hue problem.
He called it a white ballance problem.
Anyway, thanks Manpig and Uwish for stearing me in the right direction.
post #464 of 1811 Old 09-07-2004, 08:20 AM

Wow! No SM? Hum was this his first Hit? Good thing this forum is around, imaging the headaches you would have gone threw with a new LE and re-calibration etc...

I to had to convince my tech about the smudge issue using this forum as a reference. Glad to be able to give something back!

Simon "Uwish"

love all things geeky
post #465 of 1811 Old 09-10-2004, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Crazy MB, Uwish, Hithos:

First, glad to hear that Crazy is back to normal (pardon da pun). I had been wondering what happened on your set.

I reported my problem and the fix that was done and everything was hunky dory for about 5 weeks and then it happened again. My warranty was fixin (texan for "getting ready") to expire and I quickly called for service. They came out the other day (same tech as before), and the first comment out of his mouth was "man, this is unreal. This is the first time I have had a call back on this issue". I was ready this time. I had a camcorder set up on a tripod and focused on the viewing area of my Hitachi. I thought this might freak him out but he did not even comment on it. I turned the camera on and recorded his whole procedure. I have not viewed the tape yet but am hopeful that it is clear enough to see exactly all the steps he went thru.

He basically did exactly what he did last time. He got into the service menu and toggled thru various settings and recorded on paper what they were.
Then he re-initialized the LCD's ( i think that is what he called it) which consisted of three screens: red, green, and blue. He then went back thru and wrote down the final settings. It also looked like he may have changed a couple of them slightly. When he was done, the set looked fantastic again. I told him I was worried that this had happened twice and my warranty was expiring etc and he told me I better get an extended warranty. lmao. I told him I was not sure he had fixed my problem because even tho he is making my set look good, he had not determined what was causing the problem to occur. He then said he would contact Hitachi and discuss this with them and call me back. He called the next day and they have recommended him replacing some circuit board on my set and they think that is the culprit. He told me as soon as they get the board that he would come out and replace it. I will report later which board he replaces in case Crazy who is temporarily normal later needs the info.

Lastly, the tech had a 3 page printout from the Hitachi Service website that told him exactly how to fix the problem. I asked him to email me a copy and he said no. C'mon dude I said to him, but he was relentless in not doing it. He started talking about people who get sm info off the internet and get into their sm and jack things up etc and they have to fix the mess assuming Hitachi will cover it etc. Lmfao. I didn't have the heart to tell him it was probably our favorite site AVS.

PS: for those who did not read my earlier post discussing this problem it has to do with the whole picture having an orangish pinkish hue. This is not the problem some have reported where only sections of the picture is out of whack. In this case, the whole screen has the problem.

Pig

I had Sex with Hitachi. Well, I mean Hitachi raped me. Worse yet, I paid $2600 for the priviledge.
post #466 of 1811 Old 09-10-2004, 02:30 PM

manpig,

Great info. You did the right thing in pushing for the true cause rather than accepting what appears to be temporary fixes to the symptoms. I wish you lots of luck with the new circuit board. Let us know how everything goes. Are you going to actually consider getting an EW? Can you still get one?

Wired
post #467 of 1811 Old 09-10-2004, 05:20 PM

Yo pig how's it going?

Thanks for the info. Looks like I got a similar problem A big orange/pink round blob that is about 20" in diameter and feathers out on the sides. It is really visible on black screens, otherwise you would hardly know it was there. Is this the same thing?

You can get an extended warranty. I just did. It was through Satisfusion who supplies them for all Hit products. They actually let me know my original was going to expire (ya...OK).

I'm going to wait for the weather to get a little colder and recreate the smudgies and call them in to fix it. Then I'm gonna sell it to my son and buy the 60v810. Man am I cruel or what...

BTW, Where has "A" been?

Bruce

I always seem to know just enough to get into trouble !!
post #468 of 1811 Old 09-10-2004, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Wired and Bruce,

Can't believe you dude be still around. Haven't heard from Agirl in quite awhile which is my fault cuz I kinda clamoured this dealio and that is a different story. I rededicated myself to my real job but felt obliged to come back and report on this problem. Circuit City sent me an offering to get an extended warranty which I will bite the bullet and probably buy. I have never bought a freekin ew in my life. It will cost me close to 5oo for 4 years but it probably is worth it. For what I saved on my initial buy it probably makes financial sense but gd it chaps my azz to do it.

Bruce, my problem and I think Crazies prob who is now normal, is a total degregation of the screen to a pinkish orangish hue. It looks like total caca when it happens. It affects the whole enchilada. left to right and top to bottom. right normal? lmao. that cracks me up bout him finally bein normal. oh btw to your son Caveat Emptor!

laterz,'

Pig

I had Sex with Hitachi. Well, I mean Hitachi raped me. Worse yet, I paid $2600 for the priviledge.
post #469 of 1811 Old 09-11-2004, 05:07 AM

Yep, I'm still around, not posting much, just reading. I never bought an EW either, so I feel the spanking too.

Watch out when they tell you 4 years. I would bet that the 4 year ew starts from the day you bought it, not today. I just got the 2 year plan for 299, but it is actually only good for one year. I can't remember what the cost was for a plan when I bought the unit, but I remember it was a good chunk of change. Might have been the better deal to get it then.

It sounds like my problem is different than yours. As soon as the weather gets colder, I'll get both the smudgies and blob issue fixed. Uwish mentioned it could be a power supply or LE problem, but no one was definite for sure.

Talk to you later,

Bruce

post #470 of 1811 Old 09-11-2004, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Piggy,

Let us know how it goes. I bought the EW when I picked up the set. I hate buying EW's, but there are some things that I think are really deserving of it. One of them are RPTVs. Too much new technology and things changing from year to year. Not exactly what I would call stable.

Also Piggy,

Watch that video taping and give us the dibs. I'ld like to have this on file in case it happens so I can avoid having to wait for the service call.

Chris
----------------------------------------------
post #471 of 1811 Old 09-12-2004, 11:10 PM

Hey Bacfin and Piggy,

Sorry to hear about your new woes. I am calling Hit tommorrow and checking on the purchase of EW. My initial purchase of the 50 was early Oct. 03, the 60 was delivered in March 04, I think. Have you contacted Hitachi directly? Long term trouble...loyal customer....maybe they will assist.
post #472 of 1811 Old 09-13-2004, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Hos,

I tried to contact Hitachi direct concerning extending my warranty period and I did it via email. I got a nonvalid page result. I guess that part of their website doesn't work. I asked the service tech who worked on my tv if it is possible to extend your warranty thru the manufacturer and he thought it was not possible or at least he had never heard of someone doing it. I thought I read here somewhere that someone had, but could be wrong. The EW I am talking about taking is thru CC and it is called the City Advantage Plan. They want like $509 for 4 years and I called today to verify the time period and the lady said it would start on the day I purchase the plan. I have until Oct 1 to make the decision. I also asked if the bulb is included and she promised me it was although she would not send me something in writing saying it was. She just said this question comes up all the time and that the bulb is covered. I would feel better about forking over the 500 if someone I knew could tell me they had a bulb replaced at no charge under their warranty. Surely, I will go thru a bulb or two during that period and it would make this plan feasible.

To Chris, hello and yes I will try to document the entire procedure when I have time. Has anyone heard from Faxdude? Did the hurricanes get him?
Hope not. I think Ahardt traded her Hit in for a Wega and is too ashamed to come here and tell us. LmFaO

post #473 of 1811 Old 09-13-2004, 10:43 AM

Hey Pig. I am pretty sure that Hitachi can steer you towards an EW. You many have to call them though. Forget the email thing with them. As for CC, if you have a store close, then go in and get the scoop on the EW and the bulb issue. Good luck man.
post #474 of 1811 Old 09-13-2004, 10:46 AM

Try satisfusion.com pig, that is who Hitachi steered me to.

Bruce

post #475 of 1811 Old 09-13-2004, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bacffin
Try satisfusion.com pig, that is who Hitachi steered me to.

Bruce

Bruce, didn't you say in an earlier post that you paid like 300 for a 2 year that in actuality was good for 1 year? I could be wrong on this (I'm from Texas ya know), but it would seem that the 4 year that is actually for 4 yrs and covers lamps for $500 from CC would be the way to go. Are you on the board of directors for Satisfusion or what?

post #476 of 1811 Old 09-13-2004, 04:02 PM

watch it pig or I'll hit ignore

Yes they are charging me for 2 years and I am getting only one but I only need the EW to get it fixed, then sell it and upgrade to the newer and bigger model.

They offer other plans. Give them a call and see if they can beat the plan CC is offering you. Just trying to give you other options.

Bruce

post #477 of 1811 Old 09-14-2004, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Hos,

Couple of things. First, I got an email from CC saying that presently even tho the lamp is technically a consumable, that CC is covering lamp replacements under their protection plans.

Next, I watched the video of my orange/pink sucky picture fix about 10 times and have the following to report. If your picture ever does this, I would not try to fix it yourselves tho because it is an easy fix from service and they really need to document it when it happens.

He basically just went into the sm or what they call the i2c mode. He toggled thru some of the pages and recorded the current settings on a piece of paper. He did not change anything at this point. My settings as he did this were the ones listed in the service manual which kinda suprises me. He cliced on LCD Adjust and recorded some stuff. Then he clicked on Ghost and again recorded some stuff. I asked him at this point if he was making changes and he said no that he was recording data in case he screwed up something during the next step. His next step was where the action took place and all he did was to do a Memory Initialization. Once he did this, it took care of the problem. After, he toggled thru everything and made sure none of the settings changed and as far as I could tell nothing had. Before he left, he told me he would call Hitachi Tech support and report my problem and he anticipated that they would have him change out the Drive Module. I wonder if the drive module is what is shown on page 151 and 160 in the service manual? I seem to recall the A models having a couple of parts different from the non A models. This could be one of them. I would bet Crazy who is now Normal has a non-A model.

Laterz,

Pig

post #478 of 1811 Old 09-14-2004, 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by manpig
I think Ahardt traded her Hit in for a Wega and is too ashamed to come here and tell us. LmFaO

She is on Vacation this week. I talked to her on Sunday. She still has her TV and is not buying another :P

My warranty is coming up in October as well and I am starting to think about the EW. I do have the smudge issue but only in the winter time. I haven't seen it since April or so but I have no doubt it shows up due to cold weather.

How much does a bulb cost?
post #479 of 1811 Old 09-14-2004, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Hello Mike,

How have you been? Tell A I said Yo when she returns. I bought a replacement bulb from some place in Florida right after I bought my set for about $165 no tax but plus shipping. Here is the company: http://www.vancebaldwin.com/pages/Parts-HIT1.htm They were selling for $300 everywhere else.

Regarding the EW's, I was one of the first to buy this TV. I do think Hitachi has changed a few things on their production since. I really think the early buyers might need a EW, and for everyone else it is probably a coin toss. I wonder how many people have had to change a lamp. Mine never burned out but I did replace it when I started having problems.

post #480 of 1811 Old 09-14-2004, 10:38 AM

I guesstimate about 4500 hours on my set and I have not had to change the bulb yet.

Bruce

Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Hitachi , Lcd Hdtv

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page