Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 1811 Old 01-26-2004, 05:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All,

[Just repeating a problem I had and posted on the main post.]

I got vertical blue and white bars a couple of times last Saturday. I let the set sit for 30 minutes, and it came back on, and has operated nicely since. Called a Hitachi recommended service center and will let them know of this so that it is documented.

I and one other have noted this issue.

As an added protection, I did procure a Monster Power HTS3600 power center, just to provide some surge protection and voltage control. I'm wondering if a voltage sag would cause this?

Steve

There goes the E55 AMG when you have a HT to feed...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1811 Old 01-26-2004, 05:59 PM

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by FaxMan
RickGGGGGGG,

BTW, did you know that if the TV is off and it detects a signal via Input2 it will automatically turn on?

=Fax
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds like a few of you hold the exclusive on this one. I certainly can't duplicate it. Might be a STB issue.

Bruce

I always seem to know just enough to get into trouble !!
post #63 of 1811 Old 01-26-2004, 06:50 PM

Bacffin - that's a setting you can turn on or off. I don't remember the name (movie something or other), but it will turn the TV on when it detects a signal from a certain input. Supposed to make it easy to watch a DVD - it sees you started a movie and turns everything on for you.
post #64 of 1811 Old 01-26-2004, 07:16 PM

Ah...More coolness! Got to really read the manual more and play with it! Thanks for the info.

I always seem to know just enough to get into trouble !!
post #65 of 1811 Old 01-26-2004, 08:01 PM

Here is a picture of the blue and white stripes.
LL

Steve

There goes the E55 AMG when you have a HT to feed...
post #66 of 1811 Old 01-26-2004, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by steveeg1961

Steve,

That's messed up dude. Call for service immediately.

I had Sex with Hitachi. Well, I mean Hitachi raped me. Worse yet, I paid $2600 for the priviledge.
post #67 of 1811 Old 01-26-2004, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Fax,

Don't have a rug you mofo. What is there is real you piece of sack.

I had Sex with Hitachi. Well, I mean Hitachi raped me. Worse yet, I paid $2600 for the priviledge.
post #68 of 1811 Old 01-26-2004, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Yo Ho's who's sets are on/offin.........yo houses are haunted

post #69 of 1811 Old 01-26-2004, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by rsingleton
I also posted this on the main thread - how loud is the fan supposed to be? I got my set yesterday and am surprised at how loud it is.

Dude, the fan is so damn loud it scares my cat. Earplugs are the solution.

post #70 of 1811 Old 01-27-2004, 09:08 AM

Ive had a 50V500 for a few months now and I have a few problems that I have seen.

First, when scenes are dark, i get this kind of greenish cast in the dark grey areas. This doesn't seem to affect the brighter areas of the picture.
I have also noted that when the screen fades from a dark scene to totally black that I get greenish ghosting for a few seconds. Does anyone else see this? I have calibrated using DVE but it has not seemed to help.

In some cases I was not sure if this was artifacting from Dish networks signal, But now I am sure it is not since I see it on DVDs as well. I have not checked to see if I see this under HD mode, It mainly occurs through 480p and SD model on my Dish receiver.

Second, I see flickering of colors (especially faces). It seems like a persons complexion changes shades of reddish to slightly greener. I am wondering if these two things may be related.

Anyone else see this?

JLuksch
post #71 of 1811 Old 01-27-2004, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

r u using BE? if you are then turn it off and see if that helps. also, make sure you have not enabled auto color or sumpin.

post #72 of 1811 Old 01-27-2004, 09:36 AM

Also take a look at your contrast mode, I use normal. I think automatic does strange things.

-Spike
post #73 of 1811 Old 01-27-2004, 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by manpig
Why in the heck would a woman buy a whole pig if she can get a MP Schnitzel for free?

From the The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language regarding "schnitzel":

German, from Middle High German snitzel, diminutive of sniz (slice)....i.e. small or thin slice
post #74 of 1811 Old 01-27-2004, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

I hope it's ok to jump in here. I pick up my 50v500 on Monday (I have another thread about box size if anyone knows). I plan on putting it in a built in cabinet. It will only have about 1/4" on each side and 1/2" on the top. It will be a tight fit. Should I be worried about airflow and overheating? I plan on cutting a large portion of the back out to allow some airflow.
post #75 of 1811 Old 01-27-2004, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by bdouble
From the The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language regarding "schnitzel":

German, from Middle High German snitzel, diminutive of sniz (slice)....i.e. small or thin slice

Well well Mr. English Professor: Ain't ya eva hear of a WIENER SCHNITZEL?

post #76 of 1811 Old 01-27-2004, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by RxMan1
I hope it's ok to jump in here. I pick up my 50v500 on Monday (I have another thread about box size if anyone knows). I plan on putting it in a built in cabinet. It will only have about 1/4" on each side and 1/2" on the top. It will be a tight fit. Should I be worried about airflow and overheating? I plan on cutting a large portion of the back out to allow some airflow.

i think the box size was posted in the orig thread. u might try a search for it there. there is no intake filter on the Hit so you don't have to worry about that being covered up. i read in one of the Sony LCD threads that the input air comes in thru the speakers..........same with Hit???????? dunno. if so, the speakers are on the front left and right and the others are on the sides near the bottom so you might be restricting that area a bit but i would think you would still get air flow. the outflow is in the back on the left side as you face the tv.

post #77 of 1811 Old 01-27-2004, 10:57 AM

Quote:

Well well Mr. English Professor: Ain't ya eva hear of a WIENER SCHNITZEL?

yes, literally a "thin breaded veal cutlet"

not sure if connotations like 'diminutive', 'thin' or 'cutlet' were what you were going for.....just trying to help a brother out
post #78 of 1811 Old 01-27-2004, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by steveeg1961

Yeah, that's what I'm seeing on my set. The lines on my set will slowly appear and then disappear.

Yesterday, the set turned on properly. Well, I've recorded the problem on my digicam, so if the set turns on without a glitch tomorrow I can just show it to the Sears tech.

I SEE RAINBOW @_@
post #79 of 1811 Old 01-27-2004, 01:12 PM

I had the Sears tech out yesterday to deal with my "red push" issue (lack of green). Turns out it was a matter of going into the "service" menu and resetting the color balance there. Very bizarre how a TV could tell itself not to display green anymore...! I thought for sure it was an LCD panel failure. I guess thats why I am not a TV repairman!

So, the lesson is, if the color suddenly gets whacked on your TV, go into the service menu and check things out. I know I saw a post here somewhere about how to access the service menu...?

-DrumAnBass

Quote:

Originally posted by drumanbass
2 questions - how long did it take the techs to get a replacement light engine, and how long did they think it would take to install?

Looks like I am going to be in the same boat; seems that my green LCD panel died on my 35 day old 50v500... Have a Sears repair tech coming out on monday.

-DrumAnBass

post #80 of 1811 Old 01-27-2004, 02:08 PM

Did you see what settings in the SM he changed?
post #81 of 1811 Old 01-27-2004, 02:38 PM

For those who have seen the blue and white colored bars, I have also seen them a few times. They have appeared when I have turned on the TV before the television has completely turned off (flashing blue light is still on).

How I corrected it was to turn off the TV, unplug the power cord for 15 seconds and then plugged the power back in.

What I suspect is that the processor(s) sometimes get totally confused and won't reset properly when the the power cycle is not followed properly.

Similar things happen when turning on and off computers and other such devices. From my background, this can be hard to design so that this situation won't happen.
post #82 of 1811 Old 01-27-2004, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by casey10s
For those who have seen the blue and white colored bars, I have also seen them a few times. They have appeared when I have turned on the TV before the television has completely turned off (flashing blue light is still on).

How I corrected it was to turn off the TV, unplug the power cord for 15 seconds and then plugged the power back in.

What I suspect is that the processor(s) sometimes get totally confused and won't reset properly when the the power cycle is not followed properly.

Similar things happen when turning on and off computers and other such devices. From my background, this can be hard to design so that this situation won't happen.

So you are saying by unplugging the power cord for 15 seconds will eliminate this problem forever?

I SEE RAINBOW @_@
post #83 of 1811 Old 01-28-2004, 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by fourizonly

So you are saying by unplugging the power cord for 15 seconds will eliminate this problem forever?

This will not eliminate the problem forever, it will just reset the processor(s) so that the TV will work properly. If I turn the TV on too soon again. this problem may occur again. This is just to get the TV back to normal operating mode.

I have a computer that I sometimes have to do the same thing if I get a power glitch. There is no hard reset button on it just a soft one. The same for this TV.
post #84 of 1811 Old 01-28-2004, 10:02 AM

Quote:

r u using BE? if you are then turn it off and see if that helps. also, make sure you have not enabled auto color or sumpin.

BE is off and so is all of the auto functions.

I am beginning to think that my gray scale is off in the lower IRE scales. I may try to hire a ISF tech to set greyscale and see if this helps.

As for the flicker, has anyone gotten into the SM and adjusted flicker? Red and Blue seem to flicker very slightly, but green can only be adjusted down but still flickers to much(?). I was going to check out sets at the store to compare relative flickering in each color on an independent set..

JLuksch
post #85 of 1811 Old 01-28-2004, 12:25 PM

Hey folks,

Last night, while watching tv, my power went out twice. This obviously caused my 60V500 to shut down without properly cooling the bulb... are occasional events such as this deadly for my bulb -- will they significantly shorten the life of the bulb?

Should I consider getting a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) for the TV?

SteveO
post #86 of 1811 Old 01-28-2004, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

SteveO,

Not sure anyone could accurately predict what a power off with no fan would do to your lamp. It ain't good that's forsure. Is this a common occurrance where you live? If so, then I would buy a UPS. Those lamps ain't cheap. I saw today someone post that the Sony lamp is only $200.
That really pizzes me off.

post #87 of 1811 Old 01-28-2004, 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jluksch
Ive had a 50V500 for a few months now and I have a few problems that I have seen.

First, when scenes are dark, i get this kind of greenish cast in the dark grey areas. This doesn't seem to affect the brighter areas of the picture.
I have also noted that when the screen fades from a dark scene to totally black that I get greenish ghosting for a few seconds. Does anyone else see this? I have calibrated using DVE but it has not seemed to help.

In some cases I was not sure if this was artifacting from Dish networks signal, But now I am sure it is not since I see it on DVDs as well. I have not checked to see if I see this under HD mode, It mainly occurs through 480p and SD model on my Dish receiver.

Second, I see flickering of colors (especially faces). It seems like a persons complexion changes shades of reddish to slightly greener. I am wondering if these two things may be related.

Anyone else see this?

It sounds like you may need a service call.

I have not heard of anyone complain with problems such as yours and I followed this thread from the very beginning archived thread. I posted settings in there I believe on page 27 to help people get started.

Flicker is caused by Black Enhancement; turn it off.

The Hitachi black scenes are black with no green tint, if you can't adjust it out then there is something wrong with your set.

Tint control on peoples faces has never been a problem.

HD Rules
post #88 of 1811 Old 01-28-2004, 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by spikedog007
Did you see what settings in the SM he changed?

Unfortunately I was at work and my wife dealt with the repair dude, and she see exactly what he did, other than that he went into the service menu...

-DrumAnBass
post #89 of 1811 Old 01-28-2004, 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by PoolShark
It sounds like you may need a service call.

I have not heard of anyone complain with problems such as yours and I followed this thread from the very beginning archived thread. I posted settings in there I believe on page 27 to help people get started.

Flicker is caused by Black Enhancement; turn it off.

The Hitachi black scenes are black with no green tint, if you can't adjust it out then there is something wrong with your set.

Tint control on peoples faces has never been a problem.

Thanks, I saw one message towards the beginning of the Hitachi LCD thread, describing the greenish tint, but you are right I have not heard of anyone else complaining or noting this. At first I was not sure if Dish network artifacting was a problem. Movies that appear to be a problem are Clint Eastwoods "unforgiven", Ghost Ship, and others that are inherently dark movies..

I guess I should call Hitachi.. Thanks

JLuksch
post #90 of 1811 Old 01-28-2004, 05:05 PM

srs148,
The fact that there is a power outage and you're fan does not cool down the bulb properly will not damage the bulb. The only thing you need to be concerned with is if it happens often, then it will shorten the life of the bulb. How much??? It's hard to tell. As was mentioned by manpig, if it happens often, getting a backup is a good idea.
This happened the second day I had my 50V500 and I was nervous too but I feel pretty confident that when the EEs and Reliability weenies designed the TV, they took into consideration improper cool down of the bulb (ie. power outage) in calculating the MTBFs (mean time between failures) of the bulb.
Besides, I think other components are more susceptible to damage during an abrupt power outage rather than the bulb when talking critical failure.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Hitachi , Lcd Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page