post #91 of 1811 Old 01-29-2004, 05:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by manpig
SteveO,

Not sure anyone could accurately predict what a power off with no fan would do to your lamp. It ain't good that's forsure. Is this a common occurrance where you live? If so, then I would buy a UPS. Those lamps ain't cheap. I saw today someone post that the Sony lamp is only $200.
That really pizzes me off.

MP, it's actually not a common occurrance for the power to randomly go out, but we were in the middle of a snow/sleet/rain storm, so my guess is that everytime the power went out, someone had just slid into a utility pole!

Regardless, the sub-$100 investment in a UPS probably isnt a bad idea...btw, how much do our lamps cost?

One thing I noticed after the power came back on was that the TV automatically came on as well... there must be some circuitry that senses if it was shut down properly or not...

SteveO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1811 Old 01-29-2004, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

SteveO,

Lamp link: http://www.partsolver.com/Product.as...ModelID=374014

Haven't heard if anyone ever found a better deal than this. Prob not. I wish AVS would hook us up with one of their famous power buys on the lamp. Are u listening Barry?

I had Sex with Hitachi. Well, I mean Hitachi raped me. Worse yet, I paid $2600 for the priviledge.
post #93 of 1811 Old 01-29-2004, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Interesting: I just called the lamp supplier and they said they have a new part from Hitachi on the lamp and it is $178.50. I tried to talk to their corporate account people to set up a HitHo discount but I got disconnected.
They have zero stock right now btw. I asked if the new lamp comes housed in the little case ours is in and they did not know. I am guessing it is.

I had Sex with Hitachi. Well, I mean Hitachi raped me. Worse yet, I paid $2600 for the priviledge.
post #94 of 1811 Old 01-29-2004, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

here is the new link: http://www.partsolver.com/Product.as...artMfg=Hitachi

post #95 of 1811 Old 01-29-2004, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

called these guys and was quoted $170. asked about qty discount on 10 and was quoted $157. anyone interested in a qty dealio?

http://www.vancebaldwin.com/pages/Parts-HIT1.htm

post #96 of 1811 Old 01-29-2004, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

last post: I worked a deal with this last group to get the lamp at $165.26 + shipping on qty 1. No tax unless u live in FL. I ordered 1. They have 5 more in stock. If anyone is interested in this deal then pm me for details.

post #97 of 1811 Old 01-30-2004, 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Crazy MB
HI all.
New Owner and extremely satisfied-except...now I know the stuck pixel thing is a given with these TVs, but i was under the impression that they would not be noticeable from a normal viewing distance. I however have one bright blue pixel in the bottom right corner of the screen that is visible on all dark scenes, or when there are black bars, and most of the time for that matter. Since this pixel distracts from the viewing experience, can the set be replaced-even if just one pixel, or is there a fix?
And it is not like i get up close and inspect for these things, it is just incredibly noticeable.
Thanks
MATT

Not an issue, an update on an issue...
I posted this a few weeks ago. Funny thing though. The pixel was noticeable about 80% of the time. We recently got TWC's newest HD cable box(they were out when i got the tv and had te old 2 piece unit) the moto 6200. Now, i can not see the blue pixel--even on black screens--unless I get up close to the screen. At first I though that somehow the cable box helped, but I havent seen the pixel during dvds either. So, hurray. Any ideas? Is the pixel becoming less bright? Dying? Getting unstuck?
I am overjoyed that I might not have to go through the return process. (knock on wood).
MATT
post #98 of 1811 Old 01-30-2004, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Matt,

that is good news. ahardt believes that if you are nice to your pixels and talk to them sweetly, that the bad ones will improve.

post #99 of 1811 Old 01-30-2004, 09:31 AM

Quote:

Matt,

that is good news. ahardt believes that if you are nice to your pixels and talk to them sweetly, that the bad ones will improve.

Evidently, cursing at your TV and threatening to return it works as well.
My theory, TVs need discipline.
post #100 of 1811 Old 01-30-2004, 11:15 AM

Quote:

ahardt believes that if you are nice to your pixels and talk to them sweetly, that the bad ones will improve.

somehow I didn't picture ahardt being the nurturing type...guessing she's more in the tough love camp, though her post to grizzledbiker a couple of weeks back nearly brought tears to my eyes... it was just dripping with kind, gentle sweetness

Quote:

Originally posted by ahardt
Grizzledbiker,
....You add nothing constructive to this thread. Occasionally, you posted something mildly non-offensive, but that type of posting has become more infrequent.....

....I suppose it's possible that you have some sort of an illness or disorder that prevents you from understanding and responding to unstated social cues and rules of conduct- if this is the case, I truly apologize for being so hard on you when you're doing the best you can. If you don't have an illness, then I don't know what your problem is. Your negative attitude may, however, be an explanation for the discord in your marriage (the details of which probably would have been more suitable for another forum, possibly Dr. Phil?). Perhaps a reevaluation of the way you interact with people is in order?

actually the only reason I had tears in my eyes was because I was laughing my a$$ off. btw, where has the queen been lately? I feel like I need some discipline.
post #101 of 1811 Old 01-31-2004, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jluksch
Thanks, I saw one message towards the beginning of the Hitachi LCD thread, describing the greenish tint, but you are right I have not heard of anyone else complaining or noting this. At first I was not sure if Dish network artifacting was a problem. Movies that appear to be a problem are Clint Eastwoods "unforgiven", Ghost Ship, and others that are inherently dark movies..

I guess I should call Hitachi.. Thanks

jluksch

I also have this tint you describe. I mostly see it while watching SD D*. I also experience strange color on peoples faces time to time. It looks like the picture changes from flesh tones to animated people, especially on black people. I was thinking it was due to poor signal strength. I was watching Pale Rider in HD the other day and when Clint was in the cabin at knight the dark walls looked like they were moving and had a green tint to them. But this movie was made in 1985 so I thought again poor quality source.

If you get service to come out and look and yours and there is a problem with the set let us know. I thought I was just being to picky.

I have also noticed a 1/4" vertical line three inchs in on the right side of the screen that is lighter in color then the rest of the screen. It is more noticable on light scenes. Has anyone else seen this?

My fan can be heard over normal listening volume of the tv?
post #102 of 1811 Old 01-31-2004, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bdouble
btw, where has the queen been lately? I feel like I need some discipline.

Around and reading, I assure you.

I regret to inform you all that my fingers were broken in a horrendous television tweaking accident, the details of which I will not go into to protect the innocent (me). The doctor says they will heal in 4-6 weeks, so expect me back and posting by then. I will say that my tv is perfectly tweaked at this point, which is good because the hit remote is now MIA- as I said, I won't go into details, but believe me, achieving the perfect tweak wasn't easy. Think I'll prolly get hazard duty pay.

Due to said injury, it has now taken me 5 1/2 hours to type this short post. See yas.

"Quote."
post #103 of 1811 Old 01-31-2004, 01:50 PM

Well my 50V500 crapped out after 9 days-the Friday before the Super Bowl

The problem was that the picture lost both resolution and color accuracy. The picture was blotchy, the screen was overly bright and the color was waaaay off (reds and yellows were way to hot). Up to this point, I'd had no problems with the set--the picture had been superb.

After explaining to Hitachi tech support what had happened and what I had tried, they told me the set needed service. Since I had purchased it at Circuit City, I called them and am now have a replacement on order. CC is giving me a display model to use for the Super Bowl (to watch my Patriots play), which I thought was extraordinarily great service.

When I was talking to Hitachi, I really didn't have to describe the problem much to the rep. I got the impression that this was a known issue.

Oh well...
post #104 of 1811 Old 02-02-2004, 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by socd
jluksch

I also have this tint you describe. I mostly see it while watching SD D*. I also experience strange color on peoples faces time to time. It looks like the picture changes from flesh tones to animated people, especially on black people. I was thinking it was due to poor signal strength. I was watching Pale Rider in HD the other day and when Clint was in the cabin at knight the dark walls looked like they were moving and had a green tint to them. But this movie was made in 1985 so I thought again poor quality source.

If you get service to come out and look and yours and there is a problem with the set let us know. I thought I was just being to picky.

I have also noticed a 1/4" vertical line three inchs in on the right side of the screen that is lighter in color then the rest of the screen. It is more noticable on light scenes. Has anyone else seen this?

My fan can be heard over normal listening volume of the tv?

I also suspect this. I have dish network and get this on older movies, but I also get it using DVDs, so I dont think the entire problem is the bad uplink of satellite TV.

I was watching the news yesterday and if I look closely at faces, the faces shift colors from reddish flesh tones to greenish flesh tones. I have been trying to observe what is going on so I can duplicate it for the service tech when I get them to come over..

JLuksch
post #105 of 1811 Old 02-03-2004, 03:21 PM

Is there any way to get PIP to fill up the screen? I can get two 50% windows side by side, but can't get rid of the bars.
post #106 of 1811 Old 02-03-2004, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

I finally got my 50v500a hooked up yesterday. I have been watching DirecTV connected via S-Video and I have to say the picture looks horrible. I like to watch alot of sports. I can't even watch a basketball game for more than a few minutes without getting a headache. I was expecting alot more. When the players run up and down the court I just see lots of bluriness. What do I need to try? This is not what I expected to get from 3K. I'm new to all of this, but, I'm guessing I have a very bad screen door effect.

My wife says the picture is horrible as well.

HELP.
post #107 of 1811 Old 02-03-2004, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

RxMan-
This is in no way a scientific sampling or anything, but I have heard more complaints about satellite feeds than cable. I don't know if this is the case or if it just appears that way. I have cable and my SD PQ can be pretty damned good. Faxman has satellite and his SD feed looks like crapola. He's supposed to be getting a HD box soon, I think.

Is there anyone with satellite that has a pretty good or non-foul PQ that could speak up for RxMan and Faxman about how to improve their PQ?

"Quote."
post #108 of 1811 Old 02-03-2004, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

I should be getting my HD box tomorrow. It is still going to be via Directv, but hopefully it will be much better in HD. I watch ESPN 50% of the time and it just so happens that it is the worst channel I have seen

I just tried some of the adjustments mentioned in other threads and have seen some improvement.

What aspect are users watching SD content with? I'm using 4:3 expanded.
post #109 of 1811 Old 02-03-2004, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

4:3 expanded is the best of the stretch modes imho, but you are still stretching. try not stretching for awhile and see the improvement.

post #110 of 1811 Old 02-04-2004, 07:45 AM

I prefer 16:9 stretch to 4:3 expanded, myself.
post #111 of 1811 Old 02-04-2004, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

if you are talking about stretching sd then you are sadly mistaken. lmfao

post #112 of 1811 Old 02-04-2004, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

I have spent a few hours reading through various threads. I am glad to see that manpig had the same initial reaction that I did. Like I said above, I will have a HD receiver arriving today. Do most people see more of a 'wow' factor from HD content or DVDs?

Is the DVE disc worth picking up? I have tweaked mine based on what people have posted here. I'm a little confused about something. If I tweak using the DVE disc via my DVD player, the results would be optimized for that player, yet, I plan on watching the majority of HD and SD content via satellite.

Does the HD package (component cables) make any difference at all when players games on an XBox? I'm talking standard 480 games.
post #113 of 1811 Old 02-04-2004, 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by RxMan1
I have spent a few hours reading through various threads. I am glad to see that manpig had the same initial reaction that I did. Like I said above, I will have a HD receiver arriving today. Do most people see more of a 'wow' factor from HD content or DVDs?

HD all the WAY!!! I've got DirectTV and a SIR160 (i think that's it). HD looks incredible and the SD is not that bad. Unfortunately since I'm hooked into the dvi input I only get the stretch modes of the SIR, which aren't that great.

Quote:

Does the HD package (component cables) make any difference at all when players games on an XBox? I'm talking standard 480 games.

For non 720p & 1080i, the HDpack gives you 480P (most all games support this and it gives you widescreen for games that support it

Here's a list of games supporting the various HD levels

XBOX HD

-Spike
post #114 of 1811 Old 02-04-2004, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

So your saying that the HDpack would be worth it? For example..Would Madden 2004 look less jagged with the HDPack?

It's 34 degrees here right now, but, I'll probably be hooking up the new triple lnb oval dish in a few hours. I need to see something that wows me.....and especially the wife. She's not impressed with the investment at this point.
post #115 of 1811 Old 02-04-2004, 09:43 AM

Quote:

So your saying that the HDpack would be worth it? For example..Would Madden 2004 look less jagged with the HDPack?

It's 34 degrees here right now, but, I'll probably be hooking up the new triple lnb oval dish in a few hours. I need to see something that wows me.....and especially the wife. She's not impressed with the investment at this point.

Less Jaggy? Probably but I still notice jaggies on all my games. I got a wireless controller so I could sit about 9 -10 feet away without a cord to trip over and the jaggies are not visible. You would get 16:9 with madden rather than either letterbox or stretched version! I've heard games like soul caliber at 720p are incredible but I've yet to try anything but 480p games.

Can't believe the wife doesn't say wow to a good DVD. Monster inc. certainly made my wife say wow. Matrix Reloaded is also a good demo disc. HD will definitely wow her just don't try to wow here with ESPNHD, my wife is sick of seeing sports HD or not.
post #116 of 1811 Old 02-04-2004, 09:46 AM

Forgot to say that the XBOX HD pack also gives you digital 5.1 sound. Assuming your receiver supports it.
post #117 of 1811 Old 02-04-2004, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

LOL. OK, I bet not stretching the games will make them look better. I had my DVD player unhooked (still gettiing everything in place) so we watched via the xbox. Not the greatest way to watch a DVD especially without component cables.

Thanks for the tips. Sometimes a little doubt creeps in with an investment like this.
post #118 of 1811 Old 02-04-2004, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

How is your HD receiver connected? Do you have to switch from Input1 (dvi) to a separate input on the tv when not watching HD content?
post #119 of 1811 Old 02-04-2004, 09:58 AM

Hooked into dvi input and all channels come through input 1. If you wanted to use the v500 for stretching you could hook the svhs or composite to another input for non-hd viewing but I think quality might suffer a little.

I also have component hookups for the xbox and my dvd player, since only one other component input is available on the v500's I use the component switching on my audio receiver to switch between xbox and dvd for input 2.

Works for me

-Spike
post #120 of 1811 Old 02-04-2004, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

The reason I ask is that the Hughes E86 manual says that the component cables are for HD content then it says note when hd content is not present, no video will be displayed. This really baffles me. It seems like 2 connections like you mentioned above would be needed. My audio receiver doesn't have component inputs just s-video.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Hitachi , Lcd Hdtv

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page