Hitachi LCD V500 Issues Thread - Page 49 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1441 of 1811 Old 10-02-2006, 11:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
SM is accessed by holding down the "input" button on the TV and pressing the power button. Wait about 3 sec then release the input button and you are now in the SM.

Simon "Uwish"

love all things geeky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 1811 Old 10-02-2006, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwish View Post

SM is accessed by holding down the "input" button on the TV and pressing the power button. Wait about 3 sec then release the input button and you are now in the SM.

Yes, that's correct, but I'm pretty sure you have to have previously turned off the TV while on input 3, 4, or 5, in order for it to work. Meaning, if the last time you turned off the TV it was set to input 1 or 2, the service menu will not load following the steps above. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
post #1443 of 1811 Old 10-02-2006, 01:43 PM

I have the 50v500A and the fan doesn't sound like it is working. When it gets hot the temp light comes on and tv goes off. The fan nor bulb has ever been replaced in over 2 years. I know it will need a lamp soon. I would like to try to order the parts and do it myself. I haven't had the light engine problem as of yet. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Ok since the original post I read more of the topics and I put the input on 4 and turned out the lights and the screen is pink in the middle. Is it on its way? I don't notice it any other time. I take from reading the forum that the fan is in the lamp engine. The tv still cuts off and the temp light blinks. It does not sound like the fan is running. I have seen the question asked about the service manual but I have not seen anyone respond that has it. Thanks for the help.
post #1444 of 1811 Old 10-02-2006, 04:47 PM

I just got back from a week's vacation, turned on my tv and the side bars which were gray when I left are now pink (4:3 aspect ratio) and the screen is much brighter than before. I've tried playing with the color mgmt screen but can't seem to get ride of the discoloration. Does this sound like the pink screen issue? I have an EW through CC and I have an appointment for Sat. Any tipes for working with the tech folks would be appreciated.
post #1445 of 1811 Old 10-04-2006, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I called Hitachi on the light engine issue and since I have an extended warranty they wouldn't help me. I asked the guy to clarify that yes they are aware of the issue but instead of just getting it fixed I have to work with the GE extended warranty which will require two visits and require me to take two days off. He said yes, and if GE wants Hitachi to pay for the part they can call Hitachi. He apologized and said "No worries - next time I'll buy a Sony."

The good news is that the guys that GE is sending to fix the set sound pretty cool, they're like "Yeah, sounds like you need a light engine." So I may get lucky with only needed one visit to fix it.
post #1446 of 1811 Old 10-05-2006, 10:12 PM

Hello everyone, another 50V500 owner here with a problem. Recently, I got a 50V500 for cheap. It was originally broken, but after opening it up, turns out that the ribbon cable within it was just disconnected. Now the screen looks like this...

Whoever owned this before must've messed around inside and knew even less than I did on what to do to fix it. So far, it works, but the screen is really blurry. You can barely make out the text from the menu screen, and picture quality really suffers, although it's still watchable.

The other problem is that big purple blob in the left side. What is it? Is this some fingerprint smudge on the LCD inside the TV, or dead pixels? And can it be fixed? Actually, the smudge isn't too much of an issue since you can't see it at all when the screen is dark, and only shows up when it's bright.

But what I do want to fix is the sharpness, as I want it to be a lot clearer than what it currently is. Is the problem regarding this a focus lens somewhere? I've already tried "FACT RESET" in the menu that pops up when holding down the INPUT button, but the screen quality is still the same. How can I fix this?
post #1447 of 1811 Old 10-11-2006, 10:24 AM

I've read a couple posts here that indicate that people are aware of approximately how many hours they have used their sets. Is there some way I can check this on my 50V500A? Is there a special menu that I can access?

FYI, I too am having the "red cloud" issues that recently started to appear.
post #1448 of 1811 Old 10-11-2006, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasilemj View Post

I've read a couple posts here that indicate that people are aware of approximately how many hours they have used their sets. Is there some way I can check this on my 50V500A? Is there a special menu that I can access?

FYI, I too am having the "red cloud" issues that recently started to appear.

You can find the # of hours within the service menu (see earlier posts for directions how to access). I believe it says at the top of the screen.
post #1449 of 1811 Old 10-11-2006, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwish View Post

factory memory resets are done from the SM (Service Menue) and there is no way a technician could tell if you went into it or not. I have been into mine many times and since had warranty work done, I just didn't "volunteer" any information. When the teck came in and went into the SM I just acted surprised.

I had been having the overall redish/pinkish cast a few months ago. I thought that it might be the light engine. Hitachi said to have a tech look at it to determine if it was the LE. He did a memory reset and that cleared it up. So far it is holding up. The rep wanted to put install a LC37 Drive Power Assembly board to the tune of $604.00. He said that was needed because of having to reset the memory. I said no thanks and that if it became an issue again that I would consider it again.

Can someone tell me what the memory reset code is? I know how to get in to the SM but do not know what to enter. I have done a search on this subject but did not find the codes to enter.

Thanks,
post #1450 of 1811 Old 10-11-2006, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaNeko View Post

Hello everyone, another 50V500 owner here with a problem. Recently, I got a 50V500 for cheap. It was originally broken, but after opening it up, turns out that the ribbon cable within it was just disconnected. Now the screen looks like this...

Whoever owned this before must've messed around inside and knew even less than I did on what to do to fix it. So far, it works, but the screen is really blurry. You can barely make out the text from the menu screen, and picture quality really suffers, although it's still watchable.

The other problem is that big purple blob in the left side. What is it? Is this some fingerprint smudge on the LCD inside the TV, or dead pixels? And can it be fixed? Actually, the smudge isn't too much of an issue since you can't see it at all when the screen is dark, and only shows up when it's bright.

But what I do want to fix is the sharpness, as I want it to be a lot clearer than what it currently is. Is the problem regarding this a focus lens somewhere? I've already tried "FACT RESET" in the menu that pops up when holding down the INPUT button, but the screen quality is still the same. How can I fix this?

You've got a bad LCD board inside of the light engine. I had this happen on my set. My set was less than a year old when this happened. A new LE will fix it. This is actually something I've seen pop up with every manufacturer of Rear Projection LCD units (it isn't something unique to Hitachi). I don't know if you have a warranty to help you out or not.

Chris
----------------------------------------------
post #1451 of 1811 Old 10-17-2006, 12:46 PM

Any v500 owners purchased this TV at Sears with an EW and have received a credit? Guess those who have would no longer visit this thread but it's worth a shot.
I read MANPIG finally got one from CC, and my brother in law who purchased the same 60V500A had a dead pixel and CC gave him full credit after 2yrs, then he got the SONY 60" SXRD... what a lucky son of a... So I know some lucky gents have been able to do this. I purchased at Sears with an EW so since it seems I'm destined to have the same issues with the red cloud of death, I would rather politic a credit.
post #1452 of 1811 Old 10-18-2006, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
They've replaced the light engine on my 50v500 and the pincushion has goed from slight to severe. Any idea what could cause this? Is it only the light engine that is causing the issue or could it be something else? Anything I can do?
post #1453 of 1811 Old 10-18-2006, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEANOR View Post

Any v500 owners purchased this TV at Sears with an EW and have received a credit? Guess those who have would no longer visit this thread but it's worth a shot.
I read MANPIG finally got one from CC, and my brother in law who purchased the same 60V500A had a dead pixel and CC gave him full credit after 2yrs, then he got the SONY 60" SXRD... what a lucky son of a... So I know some lucky gents have been able to do this. I purchased at Sears with an EW so since it seems I'm destined to have the same issues with the red cloud of death, I would rather politic a credit.

Let us know how that goes. I would be in the same boat as you. Provided mine takes another crap. I've had two LE replacements thus far.

Chris
post #1454 of 1811 Old 10-19-2006, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Printman View Post

Can someone tell me what the memory reset code is? I know how to get in to the SM but do not know what to enter. I have done a search on this subject but did not find the codes to enter.

I believe it is called "memory init" and you click "select". You may have to click a couple of times. It definitly took care of my bright pink/red push problem that Altay said he was having.

It did not do anything for the red cloud that was only a small issue but got progressively worse over the following months and was eventually fixed with a refurbished LE under the Sears EW. The sears tech said the red cloud issue is well known and eventually plagues all V500's with the original LE. Since the new LE has been installed I've had no more problems and excellent PQ.

Bill
post #1455 of 1811 Old 10-19-2006, 08:22 PM

The folks from cc came out and fixed by pink/red problem. not sure what they did since i wasn't there.
post #1456 of 1811 Old 10-19-2006, 08:57 PM

I had a weird experience earlier this evening. Perhaps some of you have experienced the same thing and can shed some light on the subject.

Before I left my house this evening I turned my TV off and when I returned a few hours later I noticed that while the TV was off, the blue "power" light was on (steady, not flashing). I went to turn the TV on and all I could hear was audio. I wasn't getting any video and my screen went from entirely gray to entirely white (all while I could still hear the audio). I quickly turned my TV off and let it remain off for about 5 minutes. When I went to turn it on again everything seemed to be working fine.

Anyone else have a similar experience? Is this a precursor of things to come? I have recently noticed the "red cloud" issue on a black screen or when switching inputs but don't think it's bad enough to call a service rep yet (I did purchase the extended warranty). Speaking of the "red cloud", should I take care of this immediately or can I wait? It doesn't appear to be impacting my viewing at all.

Thanks for any input you can provide guys.
post #1457 of 1811 Old 10-20-2006, 09:10 AM

get it fixed ASAP! sometimes they have to order the party which can take a week or a month or more. plus if you continue to encounter more problems, or the part is on backorder, sometimes they'll just credit you and you can get a new set.
post #1458 of 1811 Old 10-20-2006, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasilemj View Post

Anyone else have a similar experience? Is this a precursor of things to come? I have recently noticed the "red cloud" issue on a black screen or when switching inputs but don't think it's bad enough to call a service rep yet (I did purchase the extended warranty). Speaking of the "red cloud", should I take care of this immediately or can I wait? It doesn't appear to be impacting my viewing at all.

Can't say I've seen your power sequencing problem but in the future you might also try pulling the power cord after the set has shut down.

As for the red cloud, I waited a few months until I was noticing it on dark scenes. I don't believe it has any other adverse effect on the TV. When decide to have the LE replaced you may want to see if the tech will replace your bulb at the same time. Sears was willing to do that for me under my EW. I believe the PQ actually got better than it ever was after the replacement. It may have just been me not seeing any more of the red cloud. I would be interested in your assement of your PQ after you get your upgraded LE.

Bill
post #1459 of 1811 Old 10-20-2006, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJB View Post

Can't say I've seen your power sequencing problem but in the future you might also try pulling the power cord after the set has shut down.

As for the red cloud, I waited a few months until I was noticing it on dark scenes. I don't believe it has any other adverse effect on the TV. When decide to have the LE replaced you may want to see if the tech will replace your bulb at the same time. Sears was willing to do that for me under my EW. I believe the PQ actually got better than it ever was after the replacement. It may have just been me not seeing any more of the red cloud. I would be interested in your assement of your PQ after you get your upgraded LE.

Bill

Yeah that would be great. Although I'm not having the red cloud issue YET, I have read others noticing an improved PQ with the newer LE's and would want one myself if it really means improved PQ. Time to call SEARS! I'll check back with a report.
post #1460 of 1811 Old 10-20-2006, 01:02 PM

Alright 1st attempt no luck... couldn't get past level 1 support. She wanted to schedule a tech to come on over. I just wanted to speak to an expert on the phone... anyone have tips on getting to SEARS level 2+ support over the phone?
If not, I'll get the tech over, cry over the crop circle I once noticed (though seems to have disappeared) and take it from there
post #1461 of 1811 Old 10-25-2006, 01:33 PM

ok I took the tv to the service center and they said I needed a new light engine and a ballast. Hitachi agreed to cover the cost of both and I will pay the labor. I should find out what that is in the next couple of days. Anyone have any ideas? I called hitachi back and spoke to customer relations and asked them if applying the cost of the ballast and light engine towards a new television was an option and they said no. It seems like it would be because they would still make a profit on a new tv and I could apply the labor cost towards the tv which are much cheaper now btw. If they sold you a new one at cost they are still saving the money on the parts. I don't know. I just hope the new light engine performs better. Has anyone received a new one lately and had any problems? Thanks
post #1462 of 1811 Old 10-27-2006, 06:24 PM

I've been looking forward to the PQ improvement after the LE replacement. Replacement was just performed today, and the red/pink cloud is now gone. However, the PQ is degraded. Where I notice it specifically is when watching standard tv using 4:3 Expanded. I watch news channels with crawlers on the bottom. Before I could see the crawler with only the very bottom edge clipped. Now the crawler is unreadable 50-60% clip. It basically looks like I'm zoomed in about 1" all the way around. The video also appears slightly soft (Input is S-Video). I've tried playing around with Sharpness values and I can see no appreciable difference. There also seems to be some slight artifacts on the left side (about an inch) which come and go depending on the scene. I've played around for a while but no success.

When using my DVD (upconvert) through the DVI, video looks reasonably clear (have not done extensive testing). I have had to change color settings and other items (color levels were very intense versus the old LE as was the black enhancement).

Any ideas? Could I have a bad LE? Could the LE affect the 4:3 expanded mode? Is there anything in the SM that could reset the 4:3 expanded mode?

I'm going to keep playing around and call the tech on Monday if I cannot get things cleared up.

The saga continues... Thanks
post #1463 of 1811 Old 10-28-2006, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazingly Smooth View Post

Well, my v500 has finally gone too far bad. Of course, I didn't buy an EW. Take a look at this problem. I bought from Sears; will they do anything?

I'm selling it. I put it for sale on Craig's List (Austin) for $250. If you are into TV repairs and want to pick it up, search for it on CL. I will never buy anything from Hitachi again!!!

Cheers

Except, of course, in paranoid delusions for those that believe.
post #1464 of 1811 Old 10-28-2006, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbryson2000 View Post

I've been looking forward to the PQ improvement after the LE replacement. Replacement was just performed today, and the red/pink cloud is now gone. However, the PQ is degraded. Where I notice it specifically is when watching standard tv using 4:3 Expanded. I watch news channels with crawlers on the bottom. Before I could see the crawler with only the very bottom edge clipped. Now the crawler is unreadable 50-60% clip. It basically looks like I'm zoomed in about 1" all the way around. The video also appears slightly soft (Input is S-Video). I've tried playing around with Sharpness values and I can see no appreciable difference. There also seems to be some slight artifacts on the left side (about an inch) which come and go depending on the scene. I've played around for a while but no success.

When using my DVD (upconvert) through the DVI, video looks reasonably clear (have not done extensive testing). I have had to change color settings and other items (color levels were very intense versus the old LE as was the black enhancement).

Any ideas? Could I have a bad LE? Could the LE affect the 4:3 expanded mode? Is there anything in the SM that could reset the 4:3 expanded mode?

I'm going to keep playing around and call the tech on Monday if I cannot get things cleared up.

The saga continues... Thanks

Some of the engines we're getting from Hitachi are new, some are rebuilts. We've experienced some problems with a couple of the rebuilts not working right out of the box. I can't say that's you're problem though.
post #1465 of 1811 Old 10-30-2006, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I PERSONALLY DON'T own one of these sets, but my brother in-law does.
His set developed a MAJOR problem, where the screen was almost completely red, not matter what he adjusted in the decoder etc.......

It was OVER the Hitachi warranty, so he took it to a qualified Hitachi dealer nearby, THAT guy told him it was gonna be $500, so he went and picked it up.

He later called CC to see if they could help him(he did NOT have an extended warranty either), they sent a guy out to his house, the guy pulled the lamp out(which my brother did as I walked him through it a week B4- he said it LOOKED ok at that time), made a phone call, got a brand new lamp out of his truck, talked to Hitachi for 5 minutes or so, popped in the new lamp, went into the service menu(I don't know what he changed in there, I wasn't there, and my brother is anti-electronic heheh)changed a few settings, rebooted the TV.....

MINT

Best part about this?
They didn't charge him a DIME!!

I just figured I'd relay something that happened with this Model TV, maybe someone else can make use of the info, as I was fairly certain he had MAJOR issues, but as noted above, it was an EZ fix.

I want MY Cigarettes, MINE Nurse Ratched!!
Screen Pics
post #1466 of 1811 Old 11-01-2006, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

One thing that a person can take away from this thread (and others) is that it appears as though CC is taking care of their customers. I think I will seriously consider my future purchases through them, for that very reason.

Chris
post #1467 of 1811 Old 11-02-2006, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2Racing View Post

I hear your frustration all the way up here in Midland, TX. Ive only had the red cloud issue and none other. I am going to make an assumption and say that replacing the LE will most likely fix the problem, the reason I am saying this is due to the fact the LE makes up most of this set, but hopefully others on here have experienced your problem and can weigh in on the situation, again I only had the Red Cloud

Once removed there arent many other parts on the inside. A couple of circuit boards connected tothe Inputs on the rear and the bulb ballast, but not much else.

Here is a pic of my old LE. I drew in where the new vent is located, and again they removed the circular vent from the bottom. Everything else looks the same.

I've got a 50V500A and was thinking about doing the LE replacement myself also. Seeing that Hitachi is making us pay the labor anyway. My question is has your refurbed LE been working OK? Did you replace the Lamp at the same time?
post #1468 of 1811 Old 11-03-2006, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJB View Post

Bill

My LE is scheduled to be replaced on 11/15 under the Sears EW. They told me that they would definitely not replace the bulb under the warranty. As mine is almost three years old, what is everyone's opinion: should I purchase a bulb and have them change it out while they are there?
post #1469 of 1811 Old 11-04-2006, 09:26 PM

I could sure use some help and advice on my 50V500. It is about 3 years old and I've had NO problems until recently. A few weeks ago I noticed what appears to be a light yellow cloud. It covers most of the screen and emanates from the middle towards the edges. There is a two or three inch edge all the way around the screen where the increased yellow color does not appear. It is very notable when the screen is whiteand not too bad otherwise. I'm not sure if the problem is progressive and will get worse? Of course, now that I can see itit is all I see. I've reset the colors and replaced the bulb. After reading all the postings online, I'm beginning to suspect that this the same problem with the light engine that other folks report when describing the red or pink color invading the screen. I'd greatly appreciate advice/confirmation, whateverthat helps me figure out what to do next. Thanks in advance!
post #1470 of 1811 Old 11-04-2006, 09:46 PM

I just replaced my bulb. Found it online for $210 including shipping and got it in two or three days. Took me 5 minutes to replace it. Only three screwsso very easy. My v500 has (3 years X 365 days X 10 hours) = somewhere around 11,000 hours (yeawe watch too much TVI know) I thought the bulb was going out because of a different color problem I've posted aboutbut the new bulb did not fix the color problem. However, the TV is MUCH brighter overall (and of course it is easier to see the color problemgo figure). So, I'm OK having replaced the bulb. My advicewait unless you have a lot of hours and do it yourself if you can
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Hitachi , Lcd Hdtv

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page