Panasonic PT-50LC13 - How many hours on your bulb? - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 344 Old 02-20-2006, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hit the magic 10,000 sometime yesterday evidently. When I turned on the set this morning, I got a "Lamp Needs Replaced and Lamp Timer Reset" message. I called Sears to schedule a warranty repair. They are just shipping me a bulb instead of sending a service guy out. They asked me to call them back when I receive the bulb and they will walk me through it. No hassles at all, took less than 5 mins on the phone with them and my new bulb is on the way.

Life is tough. Life is tougher if you are stupid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 344 Old 02-20-2006, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post

Hit the magic 10,000 sometime yesterday evidently. When I turned on the set this morning, I got a "Lamp Needs Replaced and Lamp Timer Reset" message. I called Sears to schedule a warranty repair. They are just shipping me a bulb instead of sending a service guy out. They asked me to call them back when I receive the bulb and they will walk me through it. No hassles at all, took less than 5 mins on the phone with them and my new bulb is on the way.

I'm impressed, both with the 10,000 hour mark & the fact that you've had your set on for that many hours. Great news. Here's to another 10,000 problem-free hours!

Suburbia: where trees are cut down and streets are named after them.
Flickr photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nvsteve/sets/
post #153 of 344 Old 02-21-2006, 06:54 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post

so your changing the lamp and it still works, i would keep it. sounds like they blew it and made a good one
post #154 of 344 Old 02-21-2006, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOREPOWER View Post

so your changing the lamp and it still works, i would keep it. sounds like they blew it and made a good one

If they don't make me send the original bulb in, I'm going to keep using it and see how long it will last.

post #155 of 344 Old 02-22-2006, 01:02 PM

my lamp blew 2 years and 5 months i have a circuit city warranty and should have a new one in 3 days. I wanted to keep the old lamp so could get another before the warranty runs out in 1 1/2 years but they want it back. what a racket i bet it wont cost them anything for the bulb. anybody wishing they had a plasma instead. i will find out how many hours i had on the bulb when i have it fixd and post.
post #156 of 344 Old 02-22-2006, 01:13 PM

Quote:

my lamp blew 2 years and 5 months i have a circuit city warranty and should have a new one in 3 days. I wanted to keep the old lamp so could get another before the warranty runs out in 1 1/2 years but they want it back. what a racket i bet it wont cost them anything for the bulb. anybody wishing they had a plasma instead. i will find out how many hours i had on the bulb when i have it fixd and post.

2 years and 5 months is pretty good compared to what some people have experienced, and it's even covered under your extended warranty (mine doesn't cover lamps). I wouldn't complain too much. And nah, I for one don't wish for a plasma. If I had one of those I'd probably have burn-in by now the way I use the set, and that's a lot harder to fix than a lamp.
post #157 of 344 Old 02-22-2006, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceccacci View Post

2 years and 5 months is pretty good compared to what some people have experienced, and it's even covered under your extended warranty (mine doesn't cover lamps). I wouldn't complain too much. And nah, I for one don't wish for a plasma. If I had one of those I'd probably have burn-in by now the way I use the set, and that's a lot harder to fix than a lamp.

yeah i run my pc on the pany and that alone would have burnd a plasma in no time
post #158 of 344 Old 02-23-2006, 10:09 AM

Quote:

ok got my new lamp by ups in 2 days.
my hours on the old lamp was 8678 hrs lon count was 1632
post #159 of 344 Old 02-23-2006, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

8678. I wish.

I've popped 2 so far, neither more than 3500 hours ...

Maybe this one is a good one.
post #160 of 344 Old 02-23-2006, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuraCL View Post

8678. I wish.

You have to admit it's a bit encouraging (for those of us still on our original lamp) to hear about high hours on their lamps.

Quote:

I've popped 2 so far, neither more than 3500 hours ...

Maybe this one is a good one.

I've officially started putting a bit of money aside for the next purchase. I have no idea when that will be, but I'm hoping for some sort of 1080p & LED combo. I don't think SED will be at a low enough price for many years. Who knows? At least in your case, 3rd time's a charm.

post #161 of 344 Old 02-26-2006, 11:58 AM

I reached the 10K hour mark about a week ago. Like others I get the "Replace bulb and reset hours" msg. I bought my set in Oct or Nov of '03.

The set still works great, other than I have 1 stuck green pixel that comes and goes.

I have the CC extended warranty. Does anyone know if the fact that I get the replace lamp message will get me a new lamp through the extended warranty?

Thanks,
Dave
post #162 of 344 Old 02-26-2006, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Only one way to find out. I'd call and ask.

I finally got my replacement lamp in. I followed the instructions and reset my lamp timer and left the old lamp in. My lamp timer read 10051 hours before I reset it. I'm going to see just how long my original lamp will last.

post #163 of 344 Old 02-26-2006, 03:16 PM

looks like the lamp goes out shortly after you notice a flickering of the screen brightness
post #164 of 344 Old 02-27-2006, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

I'm still on my original Lamp, ballast, everything from a ~Sep 03 PT-50LC13 and have likely just over 3,000 hours (was at 2,9xx maybe 4-6 months ago when I checked).

Anyways, my point is that I did a quick settings checkup on the TV when I saw the set was closing in on 3k hours. I had used DVE after the first couple hundred hours on the set and did the same exact calibrations again at ~3k hours.

Every parameter held true except for the Brightness, I had to increase the TV's brightness setting by 2 clicks.

My question is: Has anyone else done a calibration checkup after a few years or few thousand hours and what needed adjustment?

Is there any correlation on the need to increase brightness and the bulb going?

Note: I am not talking about a flickering of the sets brightness, just a slow deminished output (after extended usage) that needs a setting increase (not even close to maxed out).

Thanks in advance.
post #165 of 344 Old 02-27-2006, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker1024 View Post

Is there any correlation on the need to increase brightness and the bulb going?

Note: I am not talking about a flickering of the sets brightness, just a slow deminished output (after extended usage) that needs a setting increase (not even close to maxed out).

Thanks in advance.

I've seen this, and others have reported it as well. A few weeks before my last bulb blew (#3!), I noticed it was significantly dimmer, so much so that I actually boosted the Brightness. Not long after, POP!
post #166 of 344 Old 02-27-2006, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibricc View Post

I've seen this, and others have reported it as well. A few weeks before my last bulb blew (#3!), I noticed it was significantly dimmer, so much so that I actually boosted the Brightness. Not long after, POP!

same with me it was dimmer on my pc
post #167 of 344 Old 02-27-2006, 10:08 AM

Yeah, mine's been noticeably dimmer for many months now, but that alone does not seem to be an indicator of imminent failure. I had roughly 6000 hours on it last time I checked.
post #168 of 344 Old 02-27-2006, 03:45 PM

Quote:

Yeah, mine's been noticeably dimmer for many months now, but that alone does not seem to be an indicator of imminent failure. I had roughly 6000 hours on it last time I checked.

mine was dim for a long time could have been months but i saw a flicker no more than three or four times and it popped the bulb, i think its a progression but when the flicker shows up it's done
post #169 of 344 Old 02-27-2006, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker1024 View Post

My question is: Has anyone else done a calibration checkup after a few years or few thousand hours and what needed adjustment?

I calibrated it 3 times. The first to get rid of the red push, the second after replacing the entire projection assembly & third after installing the filter mod. I've wanted to do it again, but I guess I'm just getting too lazy. I haven't noticed any drop in brightness though. Actually, I had to turn down the brightness a notch or two last month because it seemed too bright.

post #170 of 344 Old 03-05-2006, 09:14 AM

You all remember me from my post back in Oct. Original bulb blew after 6800 hours. Panasonic replaced it for free as I had the set for about 17 months. I had purchased the replacement bulb from a TV shop, and Panasonic just sent me a check for $450 to cover it.

Guess what? I installed that 2nd bulb on Oct 8/2005 and it blew last night! I've run it about 14 hours a day since Oct last year, (same pattern as original bulb) making it around 2000 total. Set is turned on once per day, and left on all day, as I also do computer work on it. The last few weeks I did notice the dimming effect, and I had to crank up the brightness a few notches. Last night, the bulb just went, no warning on the screen. However, there was no loud explosion as with the original bulb.

I'm really fed up. I'm not absolutely sure, but I seem to remember the store telling me that they had a 3 month warranty on this bulb, and that is just ridiculous. If they don't replace it, I'm going to have to go through Panasonic again to take care of this.

Does anyone know what type of TV has the longest bulb life, and is the cheapest bulb to replace? I got 5 months out of this bulb. That equals $90 a month to run this TV! I know I've only had the set for 20 months but I'm already tempted to get a new one.
post #171 of 344 Old 03-06-2006, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Your 2nd lamp should still be covered by Panasonic. None of the lamp based RPTV's seem to be any better or worse, likewise with lamp replacement costs. But, LED based sets are on the near horizon & that could make a huge difference-20,000 hours life, virtually instant on, etc.

post #172 of 344 Old 03-07-2006, 01:13 PM

Ugh...some unpleasent experiences with Pansonic and the store where I bought the bulb from.

If anyone in Vancouver is thinking about purchasing anything from CGM electronics at 1285 Marine Drive, I highly recommend you avoid that place like the plague. I've never experienced crap service like this. I purchased the bulb there 5 months ago. They refused to give me a new one. I had to pay another $468 for a bulb. I asked the 'manager' if he thought that 1800 hours on a bulb was normal. He says "yes."
When I told him that Panasonic told me the bulb replacment warranty was one year, he said "No, it isn't.", even though I was told that by Jennifer Fee (Panasonic Canada), just that morning. Not only did this guy not care about contacting Panasonic to confirm, he asked me for the phone numbers!!! They are a Pan dealer and he asks the customer for a number? He then suggested I talk to the store where I bought the TV (London drugs). I said, "What have they got to do with the bulb? I bought the bulb from you. It's your bulb that blew up." I finally got fed up and said, "Okay, I'm buying the bulb, and I'll try to get Panasonic to give me a refund. If they send me another one, can I bring this one back?" He says, "I don't want it back."
"But I will be giving you one that is brand new, that hasn't been used. You don't give refunds on new items?"
"How do I know that you haven't used it? I also have this bulb, I don't need more."

Unfricking believable. And I was stupid enough to give them another $468.

I had gone through an inordinate amount of time and effort to contact Panasonic and find out what was going on with the warranty, above and beyond what a customer should have to do, and his whole attitude was "This is your problem. You deal with it. Buy my bulb, and leave." And anytime I tried to tell him what Panasonic told me on the phone, his favorite line was 'I don't want to argue with you." Basically threw the reciept at me and walked to the back of the store. I asked for the manager. He tells me he's co owner of the store. I guess that gives you license to be a total prick.

Next, I contact Panasonic to find out who deals with their dealerships and handling customer complaints about service. After talking to various depts, and getting about 3 wrong numbers to dead lines, I talked to someone again in customer service named Barbara and she tells me that there is no longer any customer service outlet in Vancouver, B.C, meaning no way to complain about crap service from their dealerships. She also tells me that the BULB WARRANTY IS 3 MONTHS! And that whoever told me it was one year warranty for bulb replacement, is wrong. I also mentioned that the original warranty on the TV is now 18 months in the US. She says, "That's not the warranty in Canada." If this bulb was $100 for 5 months use, okay, I could live with it, but $500 for five months is insane. I can expect this bulb to blow in early August, and then I'm going to drive this TV off a cliff and buy something else.

Is this for real? Can anyone confirm this? I find it hard to believe that a $500 bulb has a 3 month warranty. I've gone through 2 bulbs in 21 months. This set is a dud. I paid $5000 for it in 2004. And what's worse, is that the picture stays nice and bright for a couple weeks, then goes back to dull, and I have to start cranking the brightness/picture up.

I'm so sick of their service, and their dealerships, I'm quite sure I'll never buy a Panasonic product again.
post #173 of 344 Old 03-07-2006, 11:38 PM

Liked: 12
I just had my 2nd Bulb go out after less than 5 months (estimated hours were about 2200 ) 9/21/05 to 3/4/06. The bulb was purchased from partstore.com for $299. They told me the warranty was through Panasonic and it was a 1 year warranty.

It took me over an hour this morning to get through the phone/automated question maze (6 reps, only 2 of which actually helped me). And then a fax with a guaranteed "We will call you back". I faxed over the paperwork and of course no call back..

Because I have so little faith in Panasonic Customer service getting back to me in any reasonable time frame I ordered an extra bulb from epressrepaircenter.com for $273.89

I have a stuck red pixel on this TV, otherwise it has been pretty good (with the exception of the bulb issues). Customer Support has been horrible and the extended warranty was a complete waste of $500 (5 year warranty which doesn't cover the bulb).

Personally I am anxiously awaiting the 1080P LED based sets.(From AKIA and Samsung) Even if they aren't any brighter the fact that they would get 20,000+ hours means that I need to factor in about $900 in bulb replacment cost savings vs my curent TV. (My original Bulb lasted almost 10,000 hours, but I would be very suprised if this replacment makes it to the end of 2006 as my 2nd clocked in at a whopping 2200 hours)
post #174 of 344 Old 03-09-2006, 07:37 AM

I just had my bulb replaced. When I talked to someone at the Panasonic repair dept. they said that is was important that I check the PCP circuit board on the TV. They would do it for a $50 assessment call, then tell me if it needs to be replaced. They said that when a bulb explodes, it's important to make sure the PCP board is working okay, and that a short life on the bulb can be attributed to something wrong with the PCP board.

anyone heard of this? No one ever mentioned this to me when I bought the TV, or started buying replacement bulbs. The dealer where I bought the bulb says, if the TV is working after you put the bulb in, there is nothing wrong with the PCP board, and I should just leave it alone.

The PCP boards is at least $250 to replace. Should I have someone come out and take a good look at the TV? I mean, it works fine now. The first bulb gave me 6800 hours, the second about 1900. Is it possible the pcp board was damaged after the first bulb blew out?
post #175 of 344 Old 03-09-2006, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spatzi View Post

I just had my bulb replaced. When I talked to someone at the Panasonic repair dept. they said that is was important that I check the PCP circuit board on the TV. They would do it for a $50 assessment call, then tell me if it needs to be replaced. They said that when a bulb explodes, it's important to make sure the PCP board is working okay, and that a short life on the bulb can be attributed to something wrong with the PCP board.

anyone heard of this? No one ever mentioned this to me when I bought the TV, or started buying replacement bulbs. The dealer where I bought the bulb says, if the TV is working after you put the bulb in, there is nothing wrong with the PCP board, and I should just leave it alone.

The PCP boards is at least $250 to replace. Should I have someone come out and take a good look at the TV? I mean, it works fine now. The first bulb gave me 6800 hours, the second about 1900. Is it possible the pcp board was damaged after the first bulb blew out?

So, they wan't $50 just to check it, and then I bet it's gonna need replacement for $250..... Isn't the "PCP Board" somewhere near the flux capacitor? No, I think I'd listen to your dealer and leave it alone.
post #176 of 344 Old 03-09-2006, 02:27 PM

Quote:

So, they wan't $50 just to check it, and then I bet it's gonna need replacement for $250..... Isn't the "PCP Board" somewhere near the flux capacitor? No, I think I'd listen to your dealer and leave it alone.

It's somewhere near the meth board.
post #177 of 344 Old 03-14-2006, 02:09 PM

FWIW, here's my experience, and I'm in Ottawa, Canada. When I bought the replacement bulb at a local TV repair shop listed as a Panasonic approved repair depot, ($429 + tax) it had a slip of paper inside the box with the serial # of the new bulb on it and it states "Panasonic Canada warrants this bulb for 12 months from the date of purchase with the sales receipt". I bought it in September 05 and I am contemplating making this bulb blow this August just before the warranty is up. I'm pretty sure a bunch of multiple on/off's will do the job. Just mark it on your calendar every 11 months. If Panasonic can't make a bulb that lasts as long as they "suggest" (10,000 hours) with the sales brochure, then they deserve this. That's the way I see it.
post #178 of 344 Old 03-14-2006, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

How do you know the bulb you're forcing to blow wouldn't last 10k hours? There have been users around here who have gotten past that, others who have gotten very close.
post #179 of 344 Old 03-14-2006, 02:35 PM

I can't argue that Panasonic doesn't deserve that... the warranty on these bulbs should still be a lot better considering the ridiculous cost. But I'd be afraid I wouldn't be able to force it to blow on demand; just weaken it enough to fail as soon as the warranty expired. That or cause some other failure in the set from so many repeated power cycles. And remember, the set does keep track of that.
post #180 of 344 Old 03-15-2006, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I can't argue that Panasonic doesn't deserve that... the warranty on these bulbs should still be a lot better considering the ridiculous cost. But I'd be afraid I wouldn't be able to force it to blow on demand; just weaken it enough to fail as soon as the warranty expired. That or cause some other failure in the set from so many repeated power cycles. And remember, the set does keep track of that.

No kidding! What if the lamp in question is a "good" lamp? Trying to make it blow might cause other harm than just to the lamp. I can think of a number of ways to make it blow, but the lamp assembly would have to be removed first. I'll leave it at that.

Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page