Sears protection plan. - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Display Devices > Rear Projection Units > Sears protection plan.

Rear Projection Units

elektrobank's Avatar elektrobank
01:22 PM Liked: 10
post #1 of 14
03-15-2004 | Posts: 77
Does anyone here have the Sears protection plan? I got an offer for 2 years for $269. Doesn't seem like such a great deal and it doesn't include accedental damage which I know some other places cover, but it does seem like it's better than nothing. Should I go for it? They said they do cover the cost of a new bulb if it blows, but there probably isn't much chance of that in the first 2 years. Any suggestions?
Thanks.
CPanther95's Avatar CPanther95
03:52 PM Liked: 73
post #2 of 14
03-15-2004 | Posts: 23,797
I never buy protection plans except at Sears. They will replace if there is a chronic problem (3 visits in 1 year) and my local Sears said that it covers burn-in. I had him write it on the receipt. I think I paid about $400 on a $3000 TV for 5 years of coverage.
WojtekZ's Avatar WojtekZ
09:58 PM Liked: 10
post #3 of 14
03-15-2004 | Posts: 157
Depending on the TV you're buying, I would go for the 5 year plan. There appears to be a concensus that for $3-4K tvs, especially those with new technology, an extended warr is a good idea.
cdcooker's Avatar cdcooker
10:49 AM Liked: 10
post #4 of 14
03-16-2004 | Posts: 429
Sears charge significantly higher then other stores for service plan. The last time I checked, they charge $599 for 5 years on a Toshiba 51" RPTV, while Bestbuy charge $249 for 4 years, Fry's charge $339 for 5 years. I don't think Sears provide siginficantly better service then the other stores. All the stores will give you a replacement if your TV has chronic problem within one year.
minhi's Avatar minhi
11:21 AM Liked: 10
post #5 of 14
03-16-2004 | Posts: 475
that's a pretty bad price? is it actually 3 years for that price with one year over-lapping the makers warranty?

sears service is better because they use their own service techs, most other places send a third party to your house and make you coordinate between the two places. with sears you call the one 800 number.
Munkee Boy's Avatar Munkee Boy
01:20 PM Liked: 14
post #6 of 14
03-16-2004 | Posts: 305
Plus, if you use one of the extended warranties at places like BestBuy to replace a covered TV, once it is replaced the warranty is cancelled. They make you buy a new warranty for the new tv. Sears doesn't do this. There is also the once a year preventative maintence check from Sears'. My 2 cents.
JHawk's Avatar JHawk
01:45 PM Liked: 10
post #7 of 14
03-16-2004 | Posts: 223
Sears is about the only place I buy the extended warranty. The store where I buy my stuff basically says the warranty prevents against "technical obsolescence". Point in fact, I exchanged a Sony"big screen" (4x3) for a Sony HD widescreen and recently exchanged it for a plasma. It's not an even swap but I do get the original purchase price for the item I am exchanging. Plus, if the tv is crap then I can always exchange it for a like model.

Don't know if all Sears do this but I think it falls under the customer satisfaction policy.
01:52 PM Liked: 10
post #8 of 14
03-16-2004 | Posts: 77
That price is for 2 years so there would be a 1 year overlap with the makers warranty. The TV costs $2600 and I was not really willing to pay another $550 for the five year plan. Is it worth getting just the two years at that price?

Quote:
Originally posted by minhi
that's a pretty bad price? is it actually 3 years for that price with one year over-lapping the makers warranty?

sears service is better because they use their own service techs, most other places send a third party to your house and make you coordinate between the two places. with sears you call the one 800 number.

Amazingly Smooth's Avatar Amazingly Smooth
02:29 PM Liked: 10
post #9 of 14
03-16-2004 | Posts: 2,146
You will never know if it is worth it until it is too late--that's the idea behind insurance. If you will be financially strapped if the set breaks then get the warranty, otherwise, just buy a new one when it breaks.
CPanther95's Avatar CPanther95
02:38 PM Liked: 73
post #10 of 14
03-16-2004 | Posts: 23,797
Quote:
Originally posted by elektrobank
That price is for 2 years so there would be a 1 year overlap with the makers warranty. The TV costs $2600 and I was not really willing to pay another $550 for the five year plan. Is it worth getting just the two years at that price?
It's all a gamble, but a 2 year plan is even more of a gamble. The vast majority of manufacturer defects will surface during the mfg.'s 1 year warranty. Most other defects related to the amount of use will likely not surface with only 2 years in service.

Sears replaced my 4 year old fridge and gave me full purchase price to apply to whatever current model I wanted. I hope my TV craps out after 4 years so I can take advantage of whatever new technology exists - like a built-in HD-DVD player ! :D
03:01 PM Liked: 10
post #11 of 14
03-16-2004 | Posts: 77
I understand that it is essentially insurance I'm buying, I'm just wondering if this is a good price to pay for it and if in general 2 years is going to be worth while or if most problems tend to come up much later than that. If this was the price for 4 or 5 years I would get it in a second I'm just unsure because of the cost and duration.

Quote:
Originally posted by Amazingly Smooth
You will never know if it is worth it until it is too late--that's the idea behind insurance. If you will be financially strapped if the set breaks then get the warranty, otherwise, just buy a new one when it breaks.

cdcooker's Avatar cdcooker
05:27 PM Liked: 10
post #12 of 14
03-16-2004 | Posts: 429
Best Buy will pro rate the difference back to you also. They will let you buy something with the original purchase price, pretty similar to Sears. Fry's will give you an identical product though, so you loose some purchase power.

With service plan, don't treat your TV as good as your wife:) You sure want it to break within the protection period.
lovebuzz#836's Avatar lovebuzz#836
07:16 PM Liked: 12
post #13 of 14
03-16-2004 | Posts: 957
Best Buy doesn't require 3 visits in one year like mentioned above. It is 3 repairs and needing a 4th during the ENTIRE 4 years.
Amazingly Smooth's Avatar Amazingly Smooth
07:43 PM Liked: 10
post #14 of 14
03-16-2004 | Posts: 2,146
People who buy service plans all pay basically the same amount at a given store. You shouldn't feel that you are getting ripped in that sense. I did NOT buy one for my Hitachi LCD 50v500. I felt it was too expensive. I figured I'd take my chances, but I can afford to do so. If you don't feel you can afford to take the chance, don't. I believe the actual defect rate is quite low relative to the "plan" costs--that's why they are pushed so hard. These plans are mostly profit. Of course, just as in Vegas, they always tell you about the guy who came out ahead. If they told you about the guy who didn't take advantage of the program, you wouldn't buy it.

My vote is against it. You'd be better off investing the money and taking your chances, IMHO. It's all about statistics--and the house always wins.

Also, remember that many credit cards also extend warranties for free so consider paying with a credit card.

Cheers
Closed Thread Rear Projection Units

Subscribe to this Thread