I got a big fat headache watching a Samsung 60' DLP today.. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 04-23-2004, 02:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi all.

I was at CC today to pickup Master & Commander for my bro who is broke atm to surprise him, yes were both movie fiends.)

Well i buy it and am ready to leave when i walk by the big screen area and see MY Panny PT50LC13 sitting there..so i have to stop right?..and look at it and get all warm and fuzzy knowing i have one at home and also to judge how it looks compared to the mammoth Sammy 60' DLP sitting next to it.

Theres a middle aged couple sitting there getting the low down on all thats wonderous with new large screens out today by the ever knowledgable CC employee..

So i sit down on the couch next to them and listen in, while im listening im watching the DLP, the kid then put in Finding Nemo(via cheap component cables) and fired it up on the DLP..man it looked sharp, nice blacks, nice contrast and brightness...wait a minute was that a freaking migraine pulse i just felt in my head?..

Long story short i was getting a headache watching this beautiful movie on this set.

I am a video game fiend and a first person shooter vet, i hang with the best of em on the net and have won a few Quake3 Tournements here locally put on by local quake clans, i love high speed roller coasters and NEVER once have gotten sick or felt motion sickness in my life(knock on wood)and i dont know if this is even in the same ballpark but i left CC with a small annoying headache after watching that DLP just for a few min.

I blinked my eyes a few times to see if id see any rainbow effect but never did once, just a headache, does this mean i can never own a DLP?

Wtf is it with DLP's that give ppl migraines? Im a little peaved that it had this effect on me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-23-2004, 05:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It was probably a 61 since they don't make a 60. And one headache wouldn't convince me that DLPs give me headaches. You may have simply gotten a headache (from some other cause) at that particular moment.
post #3 of 17 Old 04-23-2004, 05:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Everybody reacts to the Sammys differently. I have an HLN 61 and have never gotten a headache nor saw any rainbows. Basically it all depends on the viewer. i think someone posted once that it has to do with the 60hz refresh rate, but a monitor on a computer at 60hz kills my eyes and the DLP doesnt.

Go figure
post #4 of 17 Old 04-23-2004, 05:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

It was on a showroom floor with the brightness and contrast cranked up to eleven!!! That's what they do on showroom floors. Properly set up for a home viewing environment, that 120w bulb would probably be turned down a bit. Give it a fair shot before reaching any conclusions.

As you grease, so shall you slide.
post #5 of 17 Old 04-23-2004, 05:29 AM
Advanced Member

I suffer from chronic migraine's and my Sammy doesn't bother them. I think it has been determined that the few people who have received headaches from DLP is due to their being a rather bright display with generous contrast and the viewer was watching in a darkened room, thus giving their irises quite a work out. On a side note, that would be a completely different headache from a migraine as well. Other's have suggested a little background light to remedy it.

Being as you were in a well lit store and watching for only a few minutes, I'd chalk it up with coincidence.
post #6 of 17 Old 04-23-2004, 05:32 AM

Walking into CC gives me a headache too! :D

But seriously, I'm a migraine sufferer and anything can trigger it. Never got one while I was watching TV, though.

It could be anything....
post #7 of 17 Old 04-23-2004, 05:33 AM

I had to return my Sammy DLP because of headaches, etc. I had the contrast cranked as low as it could go without washing out the picture. I let it go hesitantly because the pic was amazing in many respects. (Lots of digital contouring though in dark scenes/shadows.) I got a Hit. 50v500 which has its own problems (terrible screen door effect) but it doesn't cause me to have headaches. Now I'm moving on to the Sony LCD RPTV. Sigh.
post #8 of 17 Old 04-23-2004, 05:34 AM

I'd second the last two posts about the brightness and contrast.
And color needs to be set I know on mine, down to 25 to 30.
Then it looks real natural.

'pilot
post #9 of 17 Old 04-23-2004, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Everytime I listen to a CC salesman I get a headache.CC is just so loud the salesman has to talk so loud to be heard over the music videos playing.
post #10 of 17 Old 04-23-2004, 06:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 256
I was helping a friend shop for projectors. He wasn't a videophile at all but owned a cheap conference-type LCD projector and wondered if he could buy anything better. He didn't know squat about DLP - knew nothing about headaches and rainbows.

Day one we shopped LCD projectors, watched a lot of material.

Day two we ended up at a store with DLP projectors. We sat watching one of his DVDs and, within about five minutes he turned to me and asked "Uh...out of curiosity are you getting a headache?" I asked why.
He said that he was experiencing an increasingly painful pressure around his eyes and forehead that had reached headache proportions.
Funny thing is I had exactly the same headache but didn't tell him. I'd only heard that DLP could do that but never really sat to watch a DLP projector for any length of time. But I didn't want to mention my headache because
I didn't want to discourage him from DLP.

The funny thing is that, while I'd read of headaches and rainbows on forums I'd always been quite skeptical of those reports, especially the headaches which seemed to me could be "suggestion" and other factors.
But it was the exact same eye-strain type headache for both of us, not something generic, and the screen wasn't actually one of the brighter ones I"ve seen.

Then when a scene with some higher contrast elements came on - a night, street scene - we both started seeing the rainbows every time our eyes scanned from one part of the image across to another.

I also found that the most reliable way to see the rainbows (if you really want to look for them and haven't seen them before) is to move my eyes from looking at the ground below the display up to the display, or from one side of the screen to the other.

Anyway, that certainly turned my friend off buying DLP.
I rarely see the rainbows on the RPTVs, although I see them sometimes.
post #11 of 17 Old 04-23-2004, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
Interesting stuff..

I dont get headaches often at all, it could have been i was just in CC and wanted to so badly to tell that middle aged couple to RUN after listening to that CC employee(he must have been 16yrs old)babble on about how much he DIDNT know about his product.

Im a little bummed out, id like to get a DLP down the road but maybe its not for me, hopefully the 7 mirror wheel along with other improvements will make the difference.

I thought id never say this but thank gawd for LCD atm.
post #12 of 17 Old 04-23-2004, 02:00 PM

I get migraines regularly enough to keep a bottle of pills at work, in the car, and in my briefcase and the DLP has never once bothered me. I can watch it all night with no ill effects. Gaming on a 19" CRT viewsonic PC monitor will do it though. I was quite worried about this effect and would say if I was experiencing it but I simply am not. I'm certain that some of these cases must be coincidence and that since people have "heard" that these sets give headaches they assume immediately it must be the TV. Additionally, how could the effect happen so fast? Sitting down in CC for a moment or even 10 minutes should not produce a migraine. It takes longer than that for a true migraine to "ramp up" anyway. Sufferers will agree with me, I think, that you can feel them coming on and you have some time to do something about it.

Wife: Why is the movie so loud?
Me: What?!
post #13 of 17 Old 04-23-2004, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I have only had the 50" Sammy for 1 day but eye strain develops well within a minute of watching, a friend who never sees rainbows also said her eyes hurt after about 30 seconds. I may have to return it, but giving it a fair shake.

Turning down the contrast and brightness helps a bit, but then you lose a major benefit of DLP, contrast.

I know its for real, since I have a HT1000 PJ, 4x DLP, and a HiPower screen. The rainbows are far more tolerable and the eye strain is very slight to non-existent.
post #14 of 17 Old 04-23-2004, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

If you try to tell some people that you experienced headaches from a Sammy DLP, some of them might think you are a liar, or are LCD biased or anti-DLP. Most are cool about it, and although they don't experience it, they understand.

For me, rainbows are visible, but only in some circumstances. Rainbows essentially were a non issue. The Sammy DLP did however make me nausiated, and give me a headache. I'm not certain why, but the effects are real. I feel queezy within about 5-10 minutes, and a headache after 30-60 minutes. Funny thing is, that some sets seem more prone to bite me than others.

Another funny thing, is that DLP front projectors have never given me this feeling. I love the picture that the Sammy is capable of, when it's at it's best with no dithering and a razor sharp picture with great contrast and black levels. I just couldn't stomache it. I had to go the LCD route. I've not been dissapointed there though. The LCD has been very good, and within spitting distance of the DLP set as far as blacks, and truely a much more relaxing picture for my eyes. I get no eye fatigue with the LCD set.

Chris
----------------------------------------------
post #15 of 17 Old 04-23-2004, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
But if you own a DLP PJ, and have owned an LCD, its hard to make an argument based on bias. Your experience is believable and similar to mine so far.
post #16 of 17 Old 04-23-2004, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally posted by ninthdragon
It was on a showroom floor with the brightness and contrast cranked up to eleven!!! That's what they do on showroom floors. Properly set up for a home viewing environment, that 120w bulb would probably be turned down a bit. Give it a fair shot before reaching any conclusions.
The 120W bulb burns at the same brightness regardless of the display settings :D
post #17 of 17 Old 04-23-2004, 07:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally posted by Arrgh
It was probably a 61 since they don't make a 60. And one headache wouldn't convince me that DLPs give me headaches. You may have simply gotten a headache (from some other cause) at that particular moment.

I too own the Panny, and have the Sammie at our showroom and it does give me the same headache.
Closed Thread Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page