Pioneer Elite Pro-510 problem - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 2937 Old 10-21-2005, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well...umm...err...my initial attempt at the fix was less than ideal, since I was getting A/V shutdown at least once a day.

So I punted and ordered a new board from Pioneer...$284, plus $100 core charge...ouch!

While debating whether to install the new board, I pulled the old board...again...to have a look-see.

With my "third hand" magnifier and my best reading glasses, I found MORE fractured solder joints.

Instead of re-flowing these, I added more solder. Put the "old" board back in.

That was three weeks ago. Not one single, solitary problem since.

So I've got this new board...doubtful whether Pioneer will R/A it.

Maybe I'll just install it and return the old one...and collect $100.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2937 Old 10-21-2005, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmuch View Post

Well...umm...err...my initial attempt at the fix was less than ideal, since I was getting A/V shutdown at least once a day.

So I punted and ordered a new board from Pioneer...$284, plus $100 core charge...ouch!

While debating whether to install the new board, I pulled the old board...again...to have a look-see.

With my "third hand" magnifier and my best reading glasses, I found MORE fractured solder joints.

Did they give you a warranty on the power supply PCB? If so, I would install the new PCB and your set for at least that amount of time. If no warranty, then play at your own risk.
post #273 of 2937 Old 10-21-2005, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

Don't install the new board. Save yourself the money. Your old board is fine now. You will probably have no further problems with it.

Worst case scenario if you have NOT used the new board, or installed it - hell, they might even accept it back even if you have tried it out, so long as it does not get damaged in the process - is to refund you the $248 minus docking you a restocking fee and give you your core charge back. You'll eat the shipping both ways, but all it will cost you is that plus the restocking fee.

I would NOT install it. Too many things can go wrong. Raj knows EXACTLY what I mean. Cut your losses and send it back NOW, before something else can go wrong. Your set is now working perfectly, it is an incredibly sophisticated piece of gear, STOP dicking around in there like it's a '57 Chevy. Just STOP. Send it back and get on with your life without further complications.

That's how we repair techs do it. We have firsthand experience on how many little unexpected things can go wrong in there, easily - and instantaneously - domino'ing into catastrophes.

Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell
bob at imageperfection dot com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YouTube channel: mrbobbigscreen

post #274 of 2937 Old 10-21-2005, 02:42 PM

Mr. Bob wrote:
"Don't install the new board. Save yourself the money. Your old board is fine now. You will probably have no further problems with it."

Yeah...I guess. At least I got a R/A (less 20%) from 'em. Plus...I KNOW that this board has been "burned in"...and that it actually works.

I may try beating them up for the 20% though....
post #275 of 2937 Old 10-21-2005, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I KNOW that this board has been "burned in"...and that it actually works.

Which board? Yours or theirs? If you haven't tried out the new one, then you must be talking about yours. Which of course makes your statement totally true...

If you'da said, "my original board", I woulda known already, and wouldn't be askin' -

Quote:

I may try beating them up for the 20% though....

Why? What's your time worth? They spent time shipping it to you, which they needn't have done if you had done what you ultimately did, BEFORE ordering the board and committing all their time and resources to your order for as long as it took to get it to you.

Let them have it. They spent time and resources on your order, in service to you. They deserve their 20%.

Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #276 of 2937 Old 10-23-2005, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bob View Post

Which board? Yours or theirs? If you haven't tried out the new one, then you must be talking about yours. Which of course makes your statement totally true...

If you'da said, "my original board", I woulda known already, and wouldn't be askin' -

Why? What's your time worth? They spent time shipping it to you, which they needn't have done if you had done what you ultimately did, BEFORE ordering the board and committing all their time and resources to your order for as long as it took to get it to you.

Let them have it. They spent time and resources on your order, in service to you. They deserve their 20%.

Mr Bob

They don't deserve a penny since it is their defective board which they fail to acknowledge that is causing this problem for so many owners who originally purchased the elite line thinking this product would be backed by the manufacturer and not be covered up.
post #277 of 2937 Old 10-23-2005, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mr. Bob, don't suppose you'd be making any calibration tour swings through Western PA? Wouldn't mind having you do an ISF on my Pro-610.

I know I'm a looong way from SF. On the bright side, we are fairly immune to natural disasters like earthquakes, hurricanes, mud slides, wildfires, etc. Of course, there is that nasty winter thing we contend with...
post #278 of 2937 Old 10-24-2005, 02:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsoly View Post

They don't deserve a penny since it is their defective board which they fail to acknowledge that is causing this problem for so many owners who originally purchased the elite line thinking this product would be backed by the manufacturer and not be covered up.

Well, ya got me there.

I think that there should be a nationwide - worldwide? - recall on that board. They should pay regular warranty rates to their own local factory authorized techs to have them go out and either resolder that board - not too great or challenging a task for a pro repair person, much better/easier than having to troubleshoot circuitry and all that that entails - or install a new one and send the old one back. Where it would be resoldered at the factory, declared rebuilt, and made available again to the populace. This should be essential to its service to their customer.

I think its ludicrous that a nationally - nay, internationally - known entity such as Pioneer should be able to first manufacture and charge for a board in a system where it is only maybe 1/20th of the unit, and have virtually every other part of that system work perfectly for 15 years, then have that ONE board - or the sweep board as well? ANY other board - become well known for this type of problem after only 6 or 7 years, and be able to have ANY one of their customers have to pay for its repair. They blew it, they should clean it up.

Of course I don't think they did it on purpose. But still, when this kind of thing happens in the automobile industry, there are national recalls on it, and they make the national news. If these problems were life-threatening, like many are on cars, they would be having to answer to our always scam-sniffing press.

This thread alone should be sufficient for that purpose. Anybody know anyone at the Washington Post?

Unfortunately, they will probably do what Mit has done - write off these units as having only a 7 year lifespan anyway.

I'm with you.

Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #279 of 2937 Old 10-24-2005, 02:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo21 View Post

Mr. Bob, don't suppose you'd be making any calibration tour swings through Western PA? Wouldn't mind having you do an ISF on my Pro-610.

I know I'm a looong way from SF. On the bright side, we are fairly immune to natural disasters like earthquakes, hurricanes, mud slides, wildfires, etc. Of course, there is that nasty winter thing we contend with...

Not planned at present, but I would not be adverse to doing cal tours that would include these repair problems as well as calibrations. Those who have the repair problems would have to pay me extra for them, of course, unless and until Pioneer decides to pick up the tab for repair people to do those repairs.

But calibrations? I'm there! Just fly me in. Get a few fellow HD afficianados together and the travel expenses getting me there and back get cut in half, then in thirds, etc. You get the idea. I fly out of OAK.

Set it up and contact me as to when and where.

Mr Bob

PS - You think you could throw in just a little earthquake while I'm there, just to make me feel at home?

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #280 of 2937 Old 10-26-2005, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bob View Post

Mr Bob

Ask (nicely and reasonably) and ye shall receive.

I just received a rather nice, if not quite apologetic, reply from Customer Support at Pioneer Electronics USA agreeing to waive the 20% restocking fee.

And they are most certainly aware of this very thread on this forum...if anyone is wondering.

Best regards to all here.
post #281 of 2937 Old 10-27-2005, 08:15 PM

Just wanted to thank you guys. I followed your suggestions and resoldered the board, mostly the connectors in the upper left hand corner of the board. I'm going on a week with out the flashes and I'm hoping it will last.
I'm no expert but I've seen my share of boards and this had to be the poorest soldering job I've ever seen. Pioneer should be ashamed. This is absolutely unacceptable.
post #282 of 2937 Old 10-28-2005, 01:09 AM

I have the same problem that is described here. I have not resoldered the board yet but I am going to do it tomorrow. From what I have read I am sure that this will fix the problem thanks a lot guys, great job of finding and fixing pioneers ineptitude.
post #283 of 2937 Old 10-31-2005, 08:20 AM

Total of Elite unhappy owners is close to 50. Time to count all again........

Where is pioneer electronics comment?
post #284 of 2937 Old 10-31-2005, 12:00 PM

I first bought my RPTV in Dec of 99. In Jan I had the blue flash, the popping, and the loss of power. Luckily it was under warranty and the tech replaced two of the circuit boards (I'm not sure which two) and it's worked flawlessly.

Saturday morning all of a sudden there were blue streaks (lines) horizontally across the lower 1/2 to 2/3rds of the screen. One right about in the middle and the other about 2/3's of the way down.

They are permanent. They are slightly curved.

Anybody have any experience with this?

I've got a repair tech coming out tomorrow morning. He said something about the blue convergence being off, and that there were two different things that could be causing that.

Does that sound about right?

Thanks in advance.
post #285 of 2937 Old 11-01-2005, 07:30 AM

Hello everyone,

Well my power supply board came in and did the switch. I got myself a great tv for a very minimul price. Paid 650.00 for this tv with the power problem. Paid 300.00 for the Power supply board and its in full working condition. 1050.00 not a bad price to pay for an Elite Pro 510 HD. I love watching tv now.
post #286 of 2937 Old 11-01-2005, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajT View Post

Hello everyone,

Well my power supply board came in and did the switch. I got myself a great tv for a very minimul price. Paid 650.00 for this tv with the power problem. Paid 300.00 for the Power supply board and its in full working condition. 1050.00 not a bad price to pay for an Elite Pro 510 HD. I love watching tv now.

That is heaviest bargain and you are most lucky person .....RAJ
post #287 of 2937 Old 11-01-2005, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajT View Post

Hello everyone,

DIYers: Raj had to buy the board (he bought it from me) because his local tech screwed the original one up!

Be careful in there! With CAREFUL resoldering he coulda been able to get his original board going, and had an even better deal!

Good show, Raj!

Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #288 of 2937 Old 11-01-2005, 02:21 PM

Chalk up one more. I have been having the flashing picture issue for 2 years already with my Pro 510 HD. Since it would come and go I didn't pay much attention to it. Recently when the set started "popping" and then going black for 5-10 minutes I called the Pioneer authorized service center. I was told I needed to replace the convergance IC's, the power supply and three different drive assemblies. The tech said to call Pioneer to see if they would replace any of the parts for me. Similar to the experiences I've seen in this forum, Pioneer was surprised to hear that this was happening and unwilling to do anything for me. The repair is going to cost me close to $1000. I told Pioneer that they just lost a customer. I'm sure they spent the afternoon crying about that. I'm going to repair the set, sell it and get a JVC D-ILA set.
post #289 of 2937 Old 11-01-2005, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveboz View Post

Chalk up one more. I have been having the flashing picture issue for 2 years already with my Pro 510 HD. Since it would come and go I didn't pay much attention to it. Recently when the set started "popping" and then going black for 5-10 minutes I called the Pioneer authorized service center. I was told I needed to replace the convergance IC's, the power supply and three different drive assemblies. The tech said to call Pioneer to see if they would replace any of the parts for me. Similar to the experiences I've seen in this forum, Pioneer was surprised to hear that this was happening and unwilling to do anything for me. The repair is going to cost me close to $1000. I told Pioneer that they just lost a customer. I'm sure they spent the afternoon crying about that. I'm going to repair the set, sell it and get a JVC D-ILA set.

The D-ILA set you get will not be able to look as good as your present 510, if you have your 510 cleaned and calibrated. You will not be able to sit as close to it, and as a result will not have as big a picture as you can with your present set, once your present set's been fully tweaked.

Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #290 of 2937 Old 11-02-2005, 06:21 AM

Add another 510 to the list. This one was put in service in August 2000.

I just got it from a someone who was going to trash it because of this problem and the high cost to repair. I followed the tips above and now it's working great.
Now comes the hard part, what to tell this guy when he see it
Thanks for the great info.
Mike
post #291 of 2937 Old 11-02-2005, 07:04 AM

total number of elite umhappy owners looks like close to 55. I have to spend time and count all again.

Shame on pioneer.............
post #292 of 2937 Old 11-02-2005, 01:57 PM

Coincidentally, after I posted my complaint about Pioneer service, I received a call from the service rep at Pioneer last night. He said he escalated my issue to his manager and due to the severity of the situation, they agreed to subsidize the cost of parts, resulting in a $200 refund once repaired. It's still going to wind up costing me over $700 to fix but I'm satisfied that Pioneer was willing to help somewhat. I did write a letter to them and escalated up to about 3 layers of management before I got this concession but there's something to be said about perseverance and the power of the pen!
Thanks for the insight on the JVC Bob.
post #293 of 2937 Old 11-02-2005, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Coincidentally, after I posted my complaint about Pioneer service, I received a call from the service rep at Pioneer last night. He said he escalated my issue to his manager and due to the severity of the situation, they agreed to subsidize the cost of parts, resulting in a $200 refund once repaired. It's still going to wind up costing me over $700 to fix but I'm satisfied that Pioneer was willing to help somewhat. I did write a letter to them and escalated up to about 3 layers of management before I got this concession but there's something to be said about perseverance and the power of the pen!

Good for you! At least someone got them to be a little bit reasonable. My act of "perseverance" was to donate my Elite to a charity (that would fix it and give it someone deserving), buy a JVC, and tell people who as me for advice on plasma pruchases, etc., not to buy a Pioneer Elite.
post #294 of 2937 Old 11-02-2005, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That advice actually applies to all fixed pixel devices - not just JVC's - just so you know.

Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #295 of 2937 Old 11-07-2005, 07:40 PM

I bought my PRO510HD in June of 2000, and just now it's starting to experience the popping/flickering//dimming/brightening. I haven't really noticed if it's blue or not... It tends to happen when it's cold (not yet wamed up).

Does this sounds as though it is the power supply issue? There are two power supplies listed on the Pioneer site, and I believe I have the V1795 version (which is in stock, vs. the V1872.

I do know someone who solder's things for a living on PC boards (he does rework)... but I'm not sure I want him to fix this... I'd almost rather buy a new board.

TiVo: Sony @ 160 hrs, Philips @ 163 hrs
HDTV: Pioneer Elite PRO-510HD + Zenith HDV420
(The SH-D09 flaked out on me).
post #296 of 2937 Old 11-08-2005, 07:51 AM

I have a Pioneer Elite PRO520HD that I purchased in September 2001. I have noticed that the picture is getting darker especially with a component connection. Could this be the power supply issue? I don't have any blue streaks or popping yet!
post #297 of 2937 Old 11-08-2005, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwtaxi View Post

I have a Pioneer Elite PRO520HD that I purchased in September 2001. I have noticed that the picture is getting darker especially with a component connection. Could this be the power supply issue? I don't have any blue streaks or popping yet!

You may just need the lenses, mirror and screen cleaned. It's amazing what crud finds its way into these sets after a few years. Dunno about the component connections...but you could try cleaning the RCAs with alcohol or naphtha...or Caig De-Oxit.
post #298 of 2937 Old 11-08-2005, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You may just need the lenses, mirror and screen cleaned. It's amazing what crud finds its way into these sets after a few years. Dunno about the component connections...but you could try cleaning the RCAs with alcohol or naphtha...or Caig De-Oxit.

The deeper optics, under the lenses, probably also need it by now, but you won't know until and unless you clean the tops of the lenses.

DON'T EVER TOUCH THE SCREEN, UNLESS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY.

It is NOT included in those things that WILL need cleaning years down the road due to the HV inherent in CRT use, which ionizes ALL the particulates in the air, no matter how small, and causes your mirror and lenses to become powerful dust magnets. Lenses and mirror, yes. Screen no.

The most I ever do with the screen is to check its rear side and see if there is any dust that has collected on it. If so, I use a VERY dry, VERY clean terrycloth towel to go over the rear surface very lightly, back and forth, just removing the loose dust, not applying ANY pressure.

Cleaning the optics is a science that has to be VERY carefully practiced. Those lenses are plastic and very easily scratched, and all HDready glass mirrors are front surface mirrors, that you don't want to expose to ammonia, like in Windex with Ammonia D. Glass Plus is OK - Sprayway is the best. You also don't want any liquid crawling down inside the lens pack, or it will fog up the internal lenses. Another reason why Sprayway - a foam, not a liquid - is best.

You'll find general info about this on my website, under Nuts and Bolts.

As far as the darker goes, I definitely agree that optics cleaning should be the first thing done. However, your internal sm subBrightness on component might also need retweaking.

Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #299 of 2937 Old 11-08-2005, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshort View Post

I bought my PRO510HD in June of 2000, and just now it's starting to experience the popping/flickering//dimming/brightening. I haven't really noticed if it's blue or not... It tends to happen when it's cold (not yet wamed up).

Does this sounds as though it is the power supply issue? There are two power supplies listed on the Pioneer site, and I believe I have the V1795 version (which is in stock, vs. the V1872.

I do know someone who solder's things for a living on PC boards (he does rework)... but I'm not sure I want him to fix this... I'd almost rather buy a new board.

Yes. Blue is irrelevant, only affects certain units. This intermittency and heat-relatedness is much more a sign of cold solder joints, with or without the blue being affected.

Anyone who does rework on PC boards is qualified to do the soldering necessary on your board. Get a new one if you wish, but I don't think that's necessary with your friend on hand. If he does rework routinely, he knows what to do and what to stay away from.

Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #300 of 2937 Old 11-08-2005, 05:31 PM

Can someone post exactly what part number and who to call to order a new board?

Thanks
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Pioneer , Pioneer Brand , Pioneer Elite , Pioneer Elite Brand , Pioneer Electronics

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page