Pioneer Elite Pro-510 problem - Page 98 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2911 of 2921 Old 01-05-2014, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I am going to CES and have a great 2 bed room at the Excalibur. My associates could not make it, so I have space in my hotel room for another show attendee. You will be assigned to my team and as such can attend the show with me. I will be staying a few days after the show ends, to make space for calibration work while there.

Let me know if you want in.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell
bob at imageperfection dot com
www.projectiontvtroubleshootingadvice.com
YouTube channel: mrbobbigscreen

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2912 of 2921 Old 01-25-2014, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an Elite Pro510HD from Feb 2000. After many years, and a successful resoldering of the entire (or close, hard to remember) PS maybe 5 or 6 years ago, the unit lost blue convergence - the top and bottom bend towards the middle (blue only). Red and green user convergence controls work. Convergence in the middle is good (or at least not bad). Unit has gotten TONS of hours; never been cleaned. (Retired father-in-law lives with us. Probably at least 4-6 hours per day for last 11 (of 13) years. Excellent cosmetic condition.

Nice cosmetically. Bought a 70" lcd - it's a BIG room, big picture window opposite leads to glare and need for brightness; kids want 3d, lack of hdmia real problem with new Yamaha receiver. So I need to get rid of it. I might get someone to take it if I can get it working right again. Ideas? My wife wants me to start disassembling it ASAP.... if I don't get a taker or fix it, I'll pull the electronics to offer as spares probably.

-- Randell
post #2913 of 2921 Old 01-25-2014, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Replace your convergence ICs. That and the PS board cold solder joint situation that this thread is all about is all that really goes out on these sets. HDMI converters like the excellent HD Fury series solve the HDMI issue. Optics cleaning makes your set look like new again.

You're giving up a long lasting (don't get that these days) display for the newer tech which is fraught with digital-only issues that don't plague CRT tech.

Hate to see you losing the gold mine you're sitting on. Look on page 45 of this thread to see what your set could look like with the right attention. You're abandoning an inadequately tended Maserati that simply needs a tuneup.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #2914 of 2921 Old 01-26-2014, 01:14 AM

Fyi - I'm near Philadelphia (Valley Forge)

-- Randell
post #2915 of 2921 Old 02-10-2014, 07:04 AM

Liked: 12

Just wanted to give a "shout-out" to Mr. Bob regarding the quality, assistance, and professionalism of his services offered. I have a 2003 Pioneer Elite Pro530HD and I was seriously considering dumping it for a new flat screen LED set. I've been "shopping" for about a year as my set picture quality had degraded to the point that it had lost its "wow factor". However, after my neighbor bought a new Samsung 7000 series and I saw it in action, I kept thinking that my set performed better when it was new. So i started researching ways to refurb it, and found this forum. I'm so glad I did.

I contacted Mr. Bob and used his phone-assistance to guide me through a deep cleaning of the lenses and mirror (10 surfaces), plus all convergence adjustments, and WOW...I'm stunned by the improvement!!! I now have a "like-new" picture that leaves me thoroughly impressed every time I turn it on. It definitely has the wow-factor picture that betters many of the new flat panels IMO.

Mr. Bob has a detailed and precise process for bringing back the "like-new" quality of these RP CRT sets, and I highly recommend contacting him before you make the switch away from your unit. My wife thought I was nuts to try this rather than just buy a new unit, but now she is amazed at the result (and thrilled that I didn't dump $2000+ on a new TV).

Thank you so much to Bob for his expert services.

Jeff

post #2916 of 2921 Old 02-28-2014, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, Jeff. Was a pleasure. You did pretty darn well, considering you were the one doing the calibration and not moi!

biggrin.gif

Anyone with doubts about the value of phone consultation, heed what Jeff wrote, above.

I have just posted this over at the Don't Dump... thread, figured I should repeat it here for y'all, esp. newbies to this thread. You don't need to start at the beginning of this thread for your answers, I actually encourage you not to, as there is some false and immature info there.

Here's what I just posted:

Again, if you are the proud owner of a Pioneer Elite CRT RPTV with any of the following model numbers, please go to my YT video and get informed about this issue. It's only 13 minutes long, but contains everything you need to know from the very long running AVS thread "Pioneer Elite PRO 510 Problem", which first appeared in 2004 and is still very much alive. If you don't want to read the entire 98 pages currently in that thread, the YT video is your next best bet.

http://youtu.be/I_VerYFt6Y8

Affected models: Pioneer PRO 510HD, PRO 610HD, PRO 710HD, and their non-Elite counterparts, the SD 532HD, SD 582HD and SD 642HD.

Following year affected models: The first half of the model year of the following year, the Pioneer PRO 520HD, PRO 620HD and PRO 720HD, and their non-Elite counterparts the SD 533HD, SD 583HD and SD 643HD.

HOW TO KNOW: Look through the ventilation holes just above the power cord (Elite units. On non-Elite units you may need to remove the LOWER back panel to see). If you see circuitry, then the PS board is mounted vertically in that following model year, and is the same board as the one used in the first model year, the x10 series. It will have the exact same cold solder joint issues. If the PS board is floor mounted, it is the redesigned version and does not suffer from the cold solder joint issues. If your PS board was at some time replaced by Pioneer with a Pioneer rebuilt board, it will come up with these issues again. If you have used a local tech to do the resoldering and they did the typical fix used by most repair techs, it will come up with these issues again.

I have been correcting this issue since 2004, and it shows no sign of abating. We never know how long it will take before the cold solder joints start to let go and start causing inexplicable, infuriating intermittent problems like blue flash, fluctuating brightness, disappearing video, loud pops and eventually hard shutdown. All caused by the way-too-thin solder joints on the PS (power supply) board, which after years of warm-up and cool-down go to cold solder joint status. Local techs are often stymied by these issues and I have seen sets ruined and totaled by failed repair procedures on their part, in their attempts to remedy these symptoms but not knowing about and curing the real problems in the process. With this kind of incredibly sophisticated set, the less invasive the procedures the better. I keep it simple.

Owners of Pioneer Elite CRTs do NOT want their $5000-$12000 sets going down in flames! Whenever someone gets me their PS board while the set is still turning on properly from dead cold, the problem is always solved while it is here with me, and guaranteed from then on, thereafter. Even if their set has gone too far, as in directly into shutdown from dead cold, it costs a little more but I still save their sets.

I am the only one I know of in the world who gives a lifetime warranty on that restoration work I do on the PS boards, so that you never have to worry about it again. If your set has these issues, or hasn't yet but will in the future, please enroll me in keeping your set alive for many more years to come.

wink.gif

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #2917 of 2921 Old 03-23-2014, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I am heading for Portland OR tomorrow for a few days. Hope to hear from some readers here so we can get some brews together or show each other some prized clips -

wink.gif

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #2918 of 2921 Old 03-26-2014, 08:26 AM

Liked: 12
I want to give a kudos / bravo / mucho thanks to Mr. Bob of Image Perfection - www.imageperfection.com for helping me out with a Hitachi 51F710S that I purchased out of a storage locker for $100. When I got the unit home and plugged it in I was hugely disappointed with the image quality and thought that I would have to put it on Craigslist and hope that I could get rid of it. Before I did so I turned to the AV forums seeking some help and luckily found Bob (Robert) Jones responding to user questions as Mr. Bob. His signature line carried his business information so I contacted him to inquire about contracting his services for remote help. We came to an agreement and from Portland, OR to Flemingsburg, KY we started the work.

Bob walked me through the disassembly of the unit and 10 surface cleaning of the projector lenses and mirror while explaining the why’s and how’s along the way. It wasn't difficult and having Bob on the line with today's technology (cell phone with camera and messaging) made it idiot proof. The picture was improved but I was still disappointed but Bob reassured me that we were on the road to success. We then tuned the unit with the standard menu options to determine what further needed to be done. Then we deep dove into manual color settings and, WOW, what a difference. A great unit that was mis-calibrated would have been passed around, owner to owner, regulated to kids rooms or 3rd TV until someone took it to the dump was revived!

I have beautiful color now and it is a joy to watch. I’ve never seen a RP CRT unit look so good. I’m not a “phile” but I see the quality that Bob was able to resurrect from this unit (from 2,000 miles away!). I told him that compared to the best image display that I had ever seen in person that mine was 98% of that. I see these units for $100 or less all the time on Craigslist and wouldn’t have any fear of purchasing another to resurrect with Bob’s help. Maybe for my son's room.... ;-)
post #2919 of 2921 Old 04-17-2014, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a trip to Orlando and Miami coming up in a few days. During the outbound flight on the 7th I will have a layover in Phoenix for about 3.5 hours, during which I would love to do something a little more worthwhile than just sitting around at the airport waiting.

I will be hitting Orlando late on the 7th and seeing Epcot Center first thing the next morning. Have a calibration on the 9th in Ft. Lauderdale, then staying with friends in Miami from the 10th to the 13th.

If anyone who is also an afficianado of the fine art of CRT HD watching, or has some of the fantastic new display tech and would be interested in comparing notes or just hoisting a tall one together, let me know. I would love to share some HD afficianado time together.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #2920 of 2921 Old 04-28-2014, 07:36 AM

Just a note here for anyone interested in picking up a Pioneer Pro 510. I have friends near Rochester MN who are downsizing and are looking for someone who'd like theirs. The unit was purchased September 2000 but hasn't seen a lot of use in the last 5-7 years so pretty low hours on this TV. It has not had the PS resoldered but I'd take it in a minute if I didn't already have one smile.gif

Just PM me if you are interested

Dave
post #2921 of 2921 Old 05-29-2014, 04:07 AM
AVS Special Member

I am going to be in Vegas this weekend for a seminar. Monday after the seminar is my only free day at present and I fly out Monday night, tho changes to that could be arranged.

Let me know if I can help.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Pioneer , Pioneer Brand , Pioneer Elite , Pioneer Elite Brand , Pioneer Electronics

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page