Pioneer Elite Pro-510 problem - Page 99 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #2941 of 2960 Old 10-05-2014, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 93
If you have not retried it after your short resoldering jaunt, I think we can trust that it is still OK. If you made any mistakes then go to try it out, as soon as you power it up damage could be caused.

If it stayed on and didn't go into protection while losing video, that is one of the things that happens with this cold solder joint issue. I have had that happen on way more than a dozen boards, and 100% of the time my resoldering protocol has fixed it permanently.

Don't give up on it. Send that board to me, pay the money, get it fixed and don't go out and buy new, where you'll spend much, much more money and it won't last half as long as yours already has.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell
bob at imageperfection dot com
www.projectiontvtroubleshootingadvice.com
YouTube channel: mrbobbigscreen

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2942 of 2960 Old 11-03-2014, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ANNOUNCEMENT: I’ve convinced Bob Jones to come to the East Coast (Greater Baltimore-Washington DC Metropolitan Statistical Area). Bob will be here the week of November 17th to resurrect and tweak out my Mitsubishi WS-73909 set that I have sorely missed watching the past few months.

For those of you in the area, this might be a great opportunity to “piggyback” on his trip and ask Bob to apply his special magic to their CRTs. Everyone should feel free to check in with him to see if he can flex his travel arrangements and improve their viewing experience.

Looking so forward to mid-November!
post #2943 of 2960 Old 11-04-2014, 12:26 AM
AVS Special Member

So am I, Len!

Owners, please join us and allow me to get some more calibrations and optics cleanings in while I am there.

I don't work on just CRTs, I also do OLED and calibrate 1080->4K upconvsersion. And all projection modalities eventually need optics cleanings, esp. DLP.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Last edited by Mr Bob; 11-07-2014 at 07:50 AM.
post #2944 of 2960 Old 11-16-2014, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Just a reminder, I fly out to Balt/WADC tomorrow, to repair and calibrate a Mit 73909 for Len, an owner in MD. At present I fly back on Thursday but would love to stay back East for a few more days instead, and calibrate a few more displays. Or do optics cleaning on any projection system, as they all need it eventually, not just CRT.

Or change out a lamp, or a DMD chip with black or white dots. Or cure a convergence problem.

Let me know as much ahead of time as you can, if you're interested. At present I fly back on Thursday but would love to stay back East for a few more days instead, and calibrate a few more displays.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Last edited by Mr Bob; 11-16-2014 at 12:11 PM.
post #2945 of 2960 Old 11-22-2014, 12:27 PM

WOW!!! Just as a follow-up, just had my visit with Mr. Bob Jones, who worked tirelessly for two full (at least 12 hour) days on my Mitsubishi 73909.

Picture is like never before -- absolutely perfect (ah, yes -- Image Perfection. Now I get it!). The application of his knowledge and skills brought out the full potential of this set, and I am truly appreciative. Believe me, I have spent a goodly amount of time today watching all manner of movies, sports, etc thoroughly enjoying the superior picture I had been missing. I am sure that much of what he did would never even occur to 99 percent of others. And, I think he was a bargain.

I understand he has another engagement or two here on the East Coast -- not sure when he now plans to return to California, just know that he extended his trip here for a few more days. Get him if you can!

Anyway, Highly Recommended. Just wanted to take a moment to give credit where it is due.
post #2946 of 2960 Old 11-23-2014, 01:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Had a ball, Len. Even tho this thread is primarily for Pioneer owners, the technology is the same in both cases, and getting it right matters in both cases. So I really appreciate that you commented on my work here. You can invite me over to do your set again any time you want! Loved it, and you were a great host.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #2947 of 2960 Old 01-07-2015, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Had to happen. After having fixed over 100 PS boards for the Pioneer Elite 510/610/710 series, I came across a repair near Sacramento that needed to happen and I had to sell my one good, perfectly operational PS board, the one I use for testing. I have 2 other boards that have been raided for parts, and am finding those parts hard to find. Does anyone out there have a broken power supply board for these sets, AWV 1795 or AWV 1808? They can even be physically cracked and broken, chances are that won't matter. The parts I need are just for the low voltage standby power section, they provide passive power for turn-on only. That's all that's missing.

If so I would be glad to pay the shipping to get them to me. All I need is some parts off of them.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #2948 of 2960 Old 02-23-2015, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

I am going to Portland Oregon and surrounding areas for a week at the end of March. I would love to schmooze with fellow CRT RPTV afficianados while there. Please contact me directly - not by pm please, do it by email - so we can find each other once I am up there. Beaverton, Hillsboro (home of Planar, the new owner of Runco), Milwaukie, Vancouver, Oregon City, Lake Oswego, Wilsonville...

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #2949 of 2960 Old 02-27-2015, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello Mr. Bob,

As I told you offline, I have decided to offer my Pioneer Elite Pro-77 rear projection TV to anyone interested. I am hoping that a subscriber to this forum will acquire it so it will be used and tinkered with for years to come. It still works well and it has a classic black enamel cabinet. I have the original manuals for this TV and its remote. This unit has just been posted in the AVSForum classifieds, and is available free of charge to anyone who will pick it up at my home in Oakland, CA. Interested parties should contact me at jdgorud at yahoo dot com.

Thanks for suggesting that I should post this offer on the "Pioneer Elite Pro-510 problem" forum.
post #2950 of 2960 Old 02-27-2015, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Well guys, a PRO 77 is not HDready, but fully operational it was creme de le creme at the time, with that nice glossy piano black gold-trimmed finish that you can't find anywhere these days, at any price. It has the finest of lenticular screens, finest of lenses, finest of CRTs. It's a gem for anyone who needs a fully operational big screen for purposes other than HD movie watching, where we owners tend to want spectacular HD. This is not quite that, but for certain purposes just as good.

And for free.

This could be manning the role of the family baby sitter, it could be in a den or basement, it could even be for the big overflow room during sermons at a church, where people will be far enough away from it that whether it's HD or not really doesn't matter.

This set can be internally cleaned and thus restored to pristine crystalline brand new condition on its projection path, it can be calibrated on its grayscale and its image structure, and as I recall its sound system is pretty impressive too.

I am ready to bring this set up to its full potential once you get it, and Oakland is really not all that far away from me.

Give him a call, then give me a call.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Last edited by Mr Bob; 02-27-2015 at 07:05 PM.
post #2951 of 2960 Old 06-22-2015, 12:03 PM

Free - Dallas Based Pioneer Elite 510 - Complete working condition. Someone who believes in the CRT's should be very interested in this TV. We are wanting/needing to upgrade to a larger TV finally after all of these years. My brother in law says to just take it apart and take it to the recycling center and I have a hard time with that since it still works great.

Mr. Bob fixed the cold solder problems on this set many years ago... it's in perfect working condition and the outside black lacquer is also blemish free. It has been in the same location since we bought it back in 2001 and never moved.

Must be able to pick it up and take it away.

email me if interested
Scott

peeker@ix.netcom.com
peeker at ix dot netcom dot com
post #2952 of 2960 Old 06-22-2015, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Further proof that once the PS board has been resoldered in these sets by me personally, they go on to last forever.

b

PS - If you try to do this resoldering op yourself, or have a local do it, be aware that if you screw up in any way, I may not be able to help you. 2 PS boards have had to be kissed off so far where some other solderer tried to do this job and it failed and they brought it to me. I was not able to bring these 2 back to life, unfortunately, whatever mistakes had been made in their soldering efforts were too damaging for me to be able to save those boards. Tore my heart out. If they had come to me in the first place, those boards would have been fine and the sets they went to would still be alive.

Somebody snag this set! Not only did I save it years ago with curing the PS board, I also did a full Image Perfection calibration on it! Probably included the overscan reduction op. It has been taken care of impeccably by Scott and deserves a fine new home. If I were not already all set up - and lived closer - I would jump all over this!

And it's free!

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Last edited by Mr Bob; 06-22-2015 at 12:41 PM.
post #2953 of 2960 Old 06-30-2015, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

A 710 owner in VA just contacted me as to whether he should keep his set or buy new, and said the posts he had looked at were back in 2012 and so was I still doing this? And should he keep his set?

Yes I am! And I told him yes he should!

I currently have a PS board taken from a 710 set here waiting for my loving hands, I will be resoldering it this afternoon. The owner in VA can't wait to get to the optics cleaning I have told him about. He laments the fact that those nice pictures we all saw as this thread and the CRT RPTV thread progressed are no longer at Image Shack, and I agree. They were spectacular!

I have some pix I have taken of issues with PS boards I have worked on recently that I intend to send up here, so stay tuned. If you have not seen my 13 minute YT video yet on what this thread is all about, check it out.

CRT is alive and well and continues to amaze. And I am here to continue bringing out its best. The challenge of making CRT tech look as good as flat panels on the image structure continues to twiddle my inborn streak of perfectionism, to enthralling degrees for my owners and myself. The blacks continue to be better than any other modality other than the still quite expensive OLED format. And the incredible way these things last and last and last, shutting out all flat panel competitors on longevity issues, continues to make them an enviable purchase.

They just keep going, and going, and going...

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Last edited by Mr Bob; 06-30-2015 at 01:17 PM.
post #2954 of 2960 Old 07-26-2015, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Thought I would share something I just posted on the ISF Calibrators, where are you located? thread.

"I am going to be in Vegas August 23, at this point leaving again late the 25th. I would be glad to do a calibration or 2 while there and am free to extend my visit if needed.

I specialize in CRT technology - direct view, front projection and rear projection (self-contained CRT RPTV)- and also calibrate flat panels and other projection modalities like DLP (single and triple chip), LCOS, SXRD, D-ILA and Light Valve. Home and business.

Double stacked CRT projectors are very powerful and deliver some of the finest contrast ratios available, far surpassing the contrast ratios of most of today's backlit and lamp driven devices. See the Screenshot War!!!!!!!! thread for examples.

Screenshot War!!!!!!!!

Only OLED surpasses CRT in contrast ratio, but to date OLED is still in its infancy for production models and AFAIK is limited to flat panels and head visors. Nothing I know of surpasses a CRT double stack in projected contrast ratio. Except of course a CRT triple stack (which yes, has been done!).

Multi-CRT projection (Barco) is used in the Portland OR Planetarium at OMSI (Oregon Museum of Science and Industry). Nothing beats it for showing stars and constellations against crystal clear black night sky. This translates to completely/faithfully captured shadow detail and spaciousness, in home theaters.

I want to see CRT continue to remain in service for what it can do and kept alive indefinitely, rather than simply replaced as a matter of course by profit motivated integrators who want to come in and say "Out with the old and in with the new" and sell their owners all new equipment. CRT tech is like tube audio - it is deep and pure and lasting forever. It shows no signs of letting up on that longevity. And its HD has depth and palpability that many of the fixed pixel devices out there today can only dream of.

My job is to bring out the best in your modality, whichever one it is. Including fine tuning your audio system to silky smooth performance. Audio is half the battle in home theater and should not be left to chance.

Mr Bob
ISF Level II Certified"

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Last edited by Mr Bob; 07-26-2015 at 06:46 PM.
post #2955 of 2960 Old 07-26-2015, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

My brother has come upon a new way of streaming that is head and shoulders above most of what's out there today, it's called Vstream and has a truly delectable picture. It is one of the few streamers that supports 1080i, but does not seem to have component outputs. As such I am forced to use an HD Fury product with it, to convert the HDMI to component.

I can get a cost deal on these, but have to buy 2 to do so. I would rather just buy a used one, if someone out there has one he wants to get rid of. Or go in with me by buying one for yourself and have your unit be the second of the 2 that I have to buy to get the deal.

I also have 2 Sony bluray players that output 1080i HD on component. Such players are not made anymore, the component OP of today is now capped at 480p. For those of you who have CRT RPTVs that only accept component and were produced before the time of HDMI, these are the last 2 BDPs in the known universe (in my known universe anyway) that will play your Bluray discs in true, scintillating 1080i HD, the highest scanrate our sets can play, with no conversions to 1080p needed (as is true with flat panels on broadcast HD). The HD comes straight from the disc and is sent out in true 1080i while still in the digital domain of the player, the purest form possible for our sets. Needless to say, it's virtually the best way available to see your blurays on any CRT RPTV not equipped with HDMI.

Let me know -

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #2956 of 2960 Old 08-05-2015, 02:32 PM

Liked: 0
pioneer elite 510hd red light on no picture

I have no idea what is wrong just did not turn on 1 day. I have unplugged and left off and same thing when reconnected.
post #2957 of 2960 Old 08-05-2015, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

When it's sudden like that with no intermittent events leading up to the shutdown, it's usually the convergence ICs needing changing/replaced. But if your PS board has never been resoldered, you best do it now before anything else happens to endanger your set.

I do both. Send me both boards and I'll take care of it, fully tested in my own 610.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #2958 of 2960 Old 08-18-2015, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Just a reminder that I will be in Las Vegas the 23-25th, coming right up. Please contact me if you'd like to get your set cleaned and/or calibrated directly after that end date.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #2959 of 2960 Old Yesterday, 10:56 AM

Liked: 0
Image Perfection saves my 710HD

I have a 15 year old 64" PRO-710HD, and the picture had become so poor that I decided to try to find someone who could clean and tune the set back to its original state. My Internet search found Bob Jones (Image Perfection) who clearly seemed to be the pre-eminent expert on RPTVs. He gave me a list of common products and tools, and on a Saturday morning we spent a couple of hours (on speaker phone) dissembling, cleaning and tuning the set. I cannot describe how incredible the picture now looks!

I have a 15 year old 64" PRO-710HD, and the picture had become so poor that I decided to try to find someone who could clean and tune the set back to its original state. My Internet search found Bob Jones (Image Perfection) who clearly seemed to be the pre-eminent expert on RPTVs. He gave me a list of common products and tools, and on a Saturday morning we spent a couple of hours (on speaker phone) dissembling, cleaning and tuning the set. I cannot describe how incredible the picture now looks!

If you have one of these sets, it is well worth this comparatively minor expense to bring it back to top video form. I would suggest setting aside at least two hours to start, as it is necessary to clean the rear mirror thoroughly (multiple times), and clean all three of the surfaces in each
lens. It is also very important to address readjusting the focal points of each lens, both mechanically at the lens and electronically near the circuit boards. He also quickly addressed adjusting the brightness after properly setting the contrast base, another noticeable improvement.

Bob is patient, and a great teacher. You not only significantly restore your picture quality, but you will become well-versed in understanding how to dissemble the set, the care and handling of various surfaces, and how and why different things affect the picture quality. After a few hours, the picture is now incredibly sharp, text is crisp, color deep. The convergence, a chore that used to require endlessly trying to coordinate moving the color lines horizontally and vertically on the grid pattern with the remote, was spot on without having to deal with that procedure.

My wife came in and looked at the picture and said "Wow!". Even from the kitchen, looking at the set from nearly 25' away, she commented again later at how the picture just jumps out at you. Even walking by the room, from 20' away at a 45 degree angle, I have to stop and admire the picture, even in full daylight. It's a real joy to sit down and watch the TV again!

If you wish to once again enjoy the full quality and capabilities of your RPTV, contact Bob Jones at Image Perfection. If you are a real AV enthusiast, he can take you even further into advanced tuning procedures should you wish to delve into more sophisticated processes. Bob has an incredible amount of knowledge and experience in tuning and caring for RPTVs, and is great at answering all your questions and providing explanations that are easy to understand.

P.S. - I found that having a self-closing, angle-nosed hobby tweezers is a great help in handling the removal and reinsertion of certain screws that are at risk of being dropped into the bottom of the set. Why trust your magnetized screwdriver when you can be more completely confident about handling them!
post #2960 of 2960 Old Yesterday, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Vin, my man! Thanks so much for your amazing review! It was fun spending that time with you.

I want to point out that Vin and I performed this minor miracle ENTIRELY ON THE PHONE! I know I have garnered, however unwittingly the rep for saying, "Fly me in!" It's kinda become a trademark for me.

While I love to be flown in and see the country while working, as these sets become sparser and sparser, fewer and fewer calibration tours are being formed. This saddens me, as I always have fun being flown somewhere, but there is hope! Vin was able to pull off this incredible feat while never leaving his home!

There is really no need to fly me in unless you want the full meal deal, the entire enchilada. We filled 4 full hours of me coaching him over the phone on exactly what to do and how to do it, with results to shout about. Scream about! Sure there's more we can do, I have run that down to him, but he wants to kick back and enjoy his superlative pic for a while now. No problem, I like to acclimate myself to things I have just accomplished too, before I move on.

So if you still own one of these legendary sets - did I mention that this thread hit 1 million views last year? Look up the stats - and it's not looking all that fine anymore, spend some time with me on the phone! These sets are just going on and on forever, I no longer say they will last 10 years. Or 20 years. They will last as long as they are taken care of and maintained properly. Do you really want to go out and buy something new that has nowhere near this kind of longevity? KEEP YOUR CRT! It will probably outlast anything you will buy new these days. And with my help you can have a better than new looking set at all times.

I am ready for a phone consultation hour on weekends, evenings and many times when most people would not want to spend time working. It's a fun job for me, and I guaranty it will put a smile on your face.

Call me!

Thanks again, Vin -

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Pioneer , Pioneer Brand , Pioneer Elite , Pioneer Elite Brand , Pioneer Electronics