Pioneer Elite Pro-510 problem - Page 99 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-05-2014, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 91
If you have not retried it after your short resoldering jaunt, I think we can trust that it is still OK. If you made any mistakes then go to try it out, as soon as you power it up damage could be caused.

If it stayed on and didn't go into protection while losing video, that is one of the things that happens with this cold solder joint issue. I have had that happen on way more than a dozen boards, and 100% of the time my resoldering protocol has fixed it permanently.

Don't give up on it. Send that board to me, pay the money, get it fixed and don't go out and buy new, where you'll spend much, much more money and it won't last half as long as yours already has.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell
bob at imageperfection dot com
www.projectiontvtroubleshootingadvice.com
YouTube channel: mrbobbigscreen

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2014, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ANNOUNCEMENT: I’ve convinced Bob Jones to come to the East Coast (Greater Baltimore-Washington DC Metropolitan Statistical Area). Bob will be here the week of November 17th to resurrect and tweak out my Mitsubishi WS-73909 set that I have sorely missed watching the past few months.

For those of you in the area, this might be a great opportunity to “piggyback” on his trip and ask Bob to apply his special magic to their CRTs. Everyone should feel free to check in with him to see if he can flex his travel arrangements and improve their viewing experience.

Looking so forward to mid-November!
Old 11-04-2014, 12:26 AM
AVS Special Member

So am I, Len!

Owners, please join us and allow me to get some more calibrations and optics cleanings in while I am there.

I don't work on just CRTs, I also do OLED and calibrate 1080->4K upconvsersion. And all projection modalities eventually need optics cleanings, esp. DLP.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Last edited by Mr Bob; 11-07-2014 at 07:50 AM.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Just a reminder, I fly out to Balt/WADC tomorrow, to repair and calibrate a Mit 73909 for Len, an owner in MD. At present I fly back on Thursday but would love to stay back East for a few more days instead, and calibrate a few more displays. Or do optics cleaning on any projection system, as they all need it eventually, not just CRT.

Or change out a lamp, or a DMD chip with black or white dots. Or cure a convergence problem.

Let me know as much ahead of time as you can, if you're interested. At present I fly back on Thursday but would love to stay back East for a few more days instead, and calibrate a few more displays.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Last edited by Mr Bob; 11-16-2014 at 12:11 PM.
Old 11-22-2014, 12:27 PM

WOW!!! Just as a follow-up, just had my visit with Mr. Bob Jones, who worked tirelessly for two full (at least 12 hour) days on my Mitsubishi 73909.

Picture is like never before -- absolutely perfect (ah, yes -- Image Perfection. Now I get it!). The application of his knowledge and skills brought out the full potential of this set, and I am truly appreciative. Believe me, I have spent a goodly amount of time today watching all manner of movies, sports, etc thoroughly enjoying the superior picture I had been missing. I am sure that much of what he did would never even occur to 99 percent of others. And, I think he was a bargain.

I understand he has another engagement or two here on the East Coast -- not sure when he now plans to return to California, just know that he extended his trip here for a few more days. Get him if you can!

Anyway, Highly Recommended. Just wanted to take a moment to give credit where it is due.
Old 11-23-2014, 01:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Had a ball, Len. Even tho this thread is primarily for Pioneer owners, the technology is the same in both cases, and getting it right matters in both cases. So I really appreciate that you commented on my work here. You can invite me over to do your set again any time you want! Loved it, and you were a great host.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Old 01-07-2015, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Had to happen. After having fixed over 100 PS boards for the Pioneer Elite 510/610/710 series, I came across a repair near Sacramento that needed to happen and I had to sell my one good, perfectly operational PS board, the one I use for testing. I have 2 other boards that have been raided for parts, and am finding those parts hard to find. Does anyone out there have a broken power supply board for these sets, AWV 1795 or AWV 1808? They can even be physically cracked and broken, chances are that won't matter. The parts I need are just for the low voltage standby power section, they provide passive power for turn-on only. That's all that's missing.

If so I would be glad to pay the shipping to get them to me. All I need is some parts off of them.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Old 02-23-2015, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

I am going to Portland Oregon and surrounding areas for a week at the end of March. I would love to schmooze with fellow CRT RPTV afficianados while there. Please contact me directly - not by pm please, do it by email - so we can find each other once I am up there. Beaverton, Hillsboro (home of Planar, the new owner of Runco), Milwaukie, Vancouver, Oregon City, Lake Oswego, Wilsonville...

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Old 02-27-2015, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello Mr. Bob,

As I told you offline, I have decided to offer my Pioneer Elite Pro-77 rear projection TV to anyone interested. I am hoping that a subscriber to this forum will acquire it so it will be used and tinkered with for years to come. It still works well and it has a classic black enamel cabinet. I have the original manuals for this TV and its remote. This unit has just been posted in the AVSForum classifieds, and is available free of charge to anyone who will pick it up at my home in Oakland, CA. Interested parties should contact me at jdgorud at yahoo dot com.

Thanks for suggesting that I should post this offer on the "Pioneer Elite Pro-510 problem" forum.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Well guys, a PRO 77 is not HDready, but fully operational it was creme de le creme at the time, with that nice glossy piano black gold-trimmed finish that you can't find anywhere these days, at any price. It has the finest of lenticular screens, finest of lenses, finest of CRTs. It's a gem for anyone who needs a fully operational big screen for purposes other than HD movie watching, where we owners tend to want spectacular HD. This is not quite that, but for certain purposes just as good.

And for free.

This could be manning the role of the family baby sitter, it could be in a den or basement, it could even be for the big overflow room during sermons at a church, where people will be far enough away from it that whether it's HD or not really doesn't matter.

This set can be internally cleaned and thus restored to pristine crystalline brand new condition on its projection path, it can be calibrated on its grayscale and its image structure, and as I recall its sound system is pretty impressive too.

I am ready to bring this set up to its full potential once you get it, and Oakland is really not all that far away from me.

Give him a call, then give me a call.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Last edited by Mr Bob; 02-27-2015 at 07:05 PM.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:03 PM

Free - Dallas Based Pioneer Elite 510 - Complete working condition. Someone who believes in the CRT's should be very interested in this TV. We are wanting/needing to upgrade to a larger TV finally after all of these years. My brother in law says to just take it apart and take it to the recycling center and I have a hard time with that since it still works great.

Mr. Bob fixed the cold solder problems on this set many years ago... it's in perfect working condition and the outside black lacquer is also blemish free. It has been in the same location since we bought it back in 2001 and never moved.

Must be able to pick it up and take it away.

email me if interested
Scott

peeker@ix.netcom.com
peeker at ix dot netcom dot com
Old 06-22-2015, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Further proof that once the PS board has been resoldered in these sets by me personally, they go on to last forever.

b

PS - If you try to do this resoldering op yourself, or have a local do it, be aware that if you screw up in any way, I may not be able to help you. 2 PS boards have had to be kissed off so far where some other solderer tried to do this job and it failed and they brought it to me. I was not able to bring these 2 back to life, unfortunately, whatever mistakes had been made in their soldering efforts were too damaging for me to be able to save those boards. Tore my heart out. If they had come to me in the first place, those boards would have been fine and the sets they went to would still be alive.

Somebody snag this set! Not only did I save it years ago with curing the PS board, I also did a full Image Perfection calibration on it! Probably included the overscan reduction op. It has been taken care of impeccably by Scott and deserves a fine new home. If I were not already all set up - and lived closer - I would jump all over this!

And it's free!

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Last edited by Mr Bob; 06-22-2015 at 12:41 PM.
Old Today, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

A 710 owner in VA just contacted me as to whether he should keep his set or buy new, and said the posts he had looked at were back in 2012 and so was I still doing this? And should he keep his set?

Yes I am! And I told him yes he should!

I currently have a PS board taken from a 710 set here waiting for my loving hands, I will be resoldering it this afternoon. The owner in VA can't wait to get to the optics cleaning I have told him about. He laments the fact that those nice pictures we all saw as this thread and the CRT RPTV thread progressed are no longer at Image Shack, and I agree. They were spectacular!

I have some pix I have taken of issues with PS boards I have worked on recently that I intend to send up here, so stay tuned. If you have not seen my 13 minute YT video yet on what this thread is all about, check it out.

CRT is alive and well and continues to amaze. And I am here to continue bringing out its best.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Tags
Pioneer , Pioneer Brand , Pioneer Elite , Pioneer Elite Brand , Pioneer Electronics