MASTER BURN-IN THREAD --> All questions and information must go here - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 386 Old 03-20-2006, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
burn burn burn, this is scary stuff

Photo Tour of my home - 2ch, 3.1, & 5.1 builds 
Thanks to all the AVS members. This is a great community.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 386 Old 04-11-2006, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Hi,

Have you O'deed on KippyNaya? Thats an excellent unit. Turn the Brightness and contrast down to 50% right now!!!!.

Whew, glad we got that done.

Next, Google ISF or Imaging Science Foundation and find a certified & respected calibrator in your area, (you can ask in the appropriate area of AVS for recommendations) and have your unit done after approximately 100hrs of breakin time.

Regarding CRTs. Respected display technology reviewers have suggested that the only technology that approaches the overall picture quality of a CRT unit are the relatively new LCOS or D-ILA displays (still pricey in comparison to CRT).

The following explanation re direct view and rearproj CRT was given to me as a non techie.

Direct view 1 Gun or tube that you watch directly.
CRT RPTV 3 Black & white guns each gun has a spearate color filter green,red,blue.
These are focused to a single spot on a mirror and reflected onto your screen.

The biggest problem with CRT RPTVs has been the fact that once you pass the 40" size their sheer bulk dominates any room they are in and are relatively ugly in the light of day and will screw up a potentially lovely decor.

On the other hand, if you can dedicate a media type room where you watch HDTV/DVDs, listen to Music and also Surf the Net with the family on the wide screen, as long as it's properly calibrated (payed for with the ton of money you saved over Plasma), it will last you well over a decade and provide images that your freinds with those skinny screens might just envy.

One last thing, I have a Tosh 65H80 (Oct 2000). It has been calibrated with touchups every few years. I use it for all of the Media room activities listed above. I can also honestly say that the set has been on for an average of 6hrs a day since I purchased it for $7000.00 Cdn and thanks to the ISF calibration there is not a hint of BURNIN.

Peter M.

dyslexia "for a cure found"
post #273 of 386 Old 04-12-2006, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Just put up grey bars or white bars for the side and don't display anything in the middle. How? Just unplug your STB from the unit when in 4:3 mode. The time it takes to "erase" the burn-in will be in direct proportion to the amount of time that was spent watching 4:3 content with the black bars

Can someone explain this, step by step, to me in layman's terms? I don't even know what a STB is.
post #274 of 386 Old 04-12-2006, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi,

STB is short for Set Top Box. Usually provided by cable or satellite service provider.

The frustrating part of contributing to this thread is that every piece of equipment you have in your chain comes with an owners manual.

Anyone who has ruined one crt with burnin and now has a second and has no idea how to turn brightness up or down seems more interested in carrying on an online conversation than solving any equipment issues.

Before you post here again please read all your equipment manuals and ask questions that don't make you look like ???.

Peter M.

post #275 of 386 Old 05-09-2006, 12:35 PM

I recently bought a 52 inch rear proj. CRT HDTV. And after only two or three weeks in my home I noticed a small yellow cloud in the picture at the bottom of the screen. I contacted the store we purchased the TV from and they sent a repairman out to look at it. He was at my house for about 4 minutes and immediately said that it is burn in and its not covered by the warranty. After calling the store and arguing with them for a while, they have agreed to send another repairman from a different shop to look at it. Now the yellow cloud has grown to cover most of the left half of the screen. It is very faint and only visible when the image on tv is white or light colored. Anyone have any ideas on what I can do? I'm somewhat knowledgable about burn in and have never watched anything with stationary images for a long period of time. Also if it were burn in, wouldnt it be an outline or image of something that was on the screen? I don't remember watching a tv program about yellow clouds. Sorry for the long post. Hope someone can help
post #276 of 386 Old 05-09-2006, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi,

Burin is usually defned and recognisable as a logo or line.

I suggest you Google the ISF Foundation. When you get to their website try and find an accredited tech that will send you an e-mail telling you that this is not burnin. Show this e-mail to whomever shows up.

You may also ask what they think it might be but ask acknowledging that they are not tv repair men.

GoodLuck,
Peter M.
PS: Make sure the brightness and contrast is set to 50% before the repair man arrives or it will give him ammo for the burnin accusation.

post #277 of 386 Old 05-14-2006, 04:48 AM

[b]Hi,
I have a burn-in of the animal planet logo! I stated this in a previous thread, I have been trying to remove move it using the all white mode on the screen. I think it has has faded a little ( or it is just convincing myself it has) I saw about a method called "SALT and Pepper screen" to help remove these burnin's. My Question is --- Is this just the noise pattern when viewing a channel with no signal?? Also how effectively does it work?
Thanks
Earl
post #278 of 386 Old 05-14-2006, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi Earl,

There are different degrees of burnin.
I don't know if any of these tricks work but if they don';t hurt the tv and don't cost a fortune.
You tell us how well it works.

Peter M.

Peter M.

post #279 of 386 Old 05-21-2006, 11:45 AM

So do LCD RPTV sets suffer to the extent you guys seem to say CRT RPTVs do?

I didn't feel like reading through 10 pages to see if it was mentioned.

I recently (3 weeks ago) bought a 42" sony LCD RPTV gen 3 model (component input, not hdmi)

i remember seeing in the instruction book they said it can happen and not to leave the same thing on the screen too long.

I'm in Australia and apparently consumers had phoned the free to air TV stations regarding burn i of tv networks logos on their sets.

Lately i've noticed the broadcasts cycle the watermark logo from on for a fair amount of time to off for a fair amount of time
post #280 of 386 Old 05-21-2006, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

No

post #281 of 386 Old 05-22-2006, 09:05 PM

well that's good to know... makes me wonder why they warn against it in the owners manual
post #282 of 386 Old 05-30-2006, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
during the break-in period of a hitachi rpcrt, is it not wise to leave the tv on for long periods of time (with the contrast/brightness settings down low)? i watch about 2 hours of tv a day, on average (at most), and was thinking of just running some dvds on it even if i'm not watching it, just so it can get broken in. they say 100 hours is the break in time that is recommended? are there any adverse affects to taking your time at breaking the thing in? if not, then i'll probably just stick to my 1-dvd-a-day routine. thanks for the help.
post #283 of 386 Old 05-30-2006, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi,

Good for you your reading the important stuff. Most imporantly prior to having an ISF Calibration and foreve after you should make sure the Brightnes & Contrast re not set over 50% tp protect against burnn.

With regard to "seasoning the set" it's not necessasary unless you've made an apointment with an SF tech already who would need t broken in to make sre that his convegence doesn't wander.

lOtherwise allowing it to mellow with you should be fine, but itsyour call.

Peter M.

post #284 of 386 Old 06-04-2006, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
what about dvd's that don't take up the whole screen and leave little black bars on the top and bottom of the screen? could they be a source for burn-in? how do i go about fixing the problem?
post #285 of 386 Old 06-04-2006, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

hi,

its supposed to look that way. not a problem. just make sure brightness & contrast at 50%.

Peter m.

post #286 of 386 Old 06-08-2006, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

When ageing your set for the first initial couple hours how likely will channel logos burn on They scare me being white(maxium wear on all phosphors)and they are on channels %75 of the time, im scared, how likely will burn in happen? should i stick to logoless channels like HBO for the initial 200hour~ of torch mode? Am i supposed to have contrast/brightness at %50 for the initial few hundred hours of phosphor wear?
post #287 of 386 Old 06-09-2006, 01:48 AM

I was under the impression, which may be wrong, that dlp tvs use a projection light bulb, that goes through the dmd, then through the color wheel...and projects like onto a film-screen which has a protective glass/hard-like covering over it so it doesn't get damaged.

That effectively, its just light being signed into a projector screen thats semi-transparent from the rear with a bunch of high tech components between the bulb/screen to maximize reoslution, contrast blah blah blah.

I also see on many DLP projection companes like ...ohh Optoma "No burn in!" "No burn in!". its always been my thoughts Plasma cells can have image rention and eventually burn in if an image is retained to long because Plasma is somehow an organic material or something like that which as a 'memory'.

I don't think my lightbulb to the best of my knowledge could burn in. I mean. I have left kitchen lights turned on for 24 hours straight, came back...and no burn in. Also I didn't think the projector screen could be burn in. i mean the lgiht from my bulb has hit my floor/walls for 24 hours straight and I don't see burn in on my walls.

Though when I got my Toshiba DLP tv delivered they warned me...DON'T LEAVE THE BLACK BARS ON 4.3 TV. ALWAYS STRETCH it to 16:9 using theatremode 1 or 2 until they are not black bars....or it will RECK YOUR TVVVVVVVVVVVVV!!!

They kept saiyng over and over again putting emphasis that burn it will occur/does occur and will break tvs. Though I don't think either the bulb or projector can possibly burn in. Are these guys just morons?
post #288 of 386 Old 06-09-2006, 05:15 AM

Well, i did a guided search today from google.

72MX195 Burn in
Toshiba 72mx195 burn in

dlp burn in

etc.

Every reference I found was from places like cnet, shopping centers, or what to buy threads, etc listing how 'DLP HAS NO BURN IN'. etc etc.

Should I get a plasma or dlp? dlp has no burn in and plasma does. I am sorry about it and worried if it will burn in.

I couldn't find one report saying "I have a toshiba 72mx195 and it has image retention...and it is burn in...and blah blah blah...and...
post #289 of 386 Old 06-09-2006, 11:33 PM

New around here and great info, in the market for a RPTV since my options are limited here in costa rica.
post #290 of 386 Old 06-10-2006, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi,

If you are lucky enough to have a dedicated Media room that visitors will not see unless you invite them into it, get the largest CRT based rptv that you can afford
and have it ISF calibrated.

CRT RPTVs give yhe best picture for the lkeast money.

However, women hate them because their big and ugly so if you can keep it from dominating your living dining/room, and put it elsewhere you'll save thousands

Peter M.

post #291 of 386 Old 06-11-2006, 06:21 PM

OK, my 65" Hitachi rear projection CRT is officially BURNED IN. 28 months of watching most shows not stretched and I have lighter bars on both sides of the screen where the black bars are if not in HD. I get HD networks off the air and HD HBO off Directv and now watch standard Directv stretched but networks unstretched.

The main portion of the screen has a slightly darker reddish hue, usually only noticed with lighter colored images but it is making me crazy. My wife says it is OK, but I want to do something.

Anyone know if I can replace one bulb or do I need to do all three???

Is it the red since that is the color I see?

Is it self do-able?

I just recently saw the contrast was at 100 (Crap...)

The set is the 65S700, great picture, built in HD tuner and great before it's time. I just took off the protective screen to remove the glare and am VERY happy but the burn in is a bummer.
post #292 of 386 Old 06-11-2006, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by utvnut View Post

OK, my 65" Hitachi rear projection CRT is officially BURNED IN. 28 months of watching most shows not stretched and I have lighter bars on both sides of the screen where the black bars are if not in HD. I get HD networks off the air and HD HBO off Directv and now watch standard Directv stretched but networks unstretched.

The main portion of the screen has a slightly darker reddish hue, usually only noticed with lighter colored images but it is making me crazy. My wife says it is OK, but I want to do something.

Anyone know if I can replace one bulb or do I need to do all three???

Is it the red since that is the color I see?

Is it self do-able?

I just recently saw the contrast was at 100 (Crap...)

The set is the 65S700, great picture, built in HD tuner and great before it's time. I just took off the protective screen to remove the glare and am VERY happy but the burn in is a bummer.

I just recently replaced two of the three tubes in my 4 year old Hitachi 53" which was showing the same burn-in you're describing: non-stretched SD material. So the good news is that it is a fixable problem, but the bad news is that the repair needs to be done by a service tech (the bulbs are not "plug and play") and the CRT tubes are spendy and hard to find. I think I paid around $290 per tube, so it ended up being $600 in parts and $100 for the service call. The service call would have been more had they done the research on finding the replacement tubes, but as I did my own research & bought the parts myself I was able to get a bit of a deal.

The reason I opted to do this rather than buy a new set was that after getting the problem properly diagnosed (the green and blue tubes burn in far worse and more frequently than the red tube), it would have cost far more for a new HDTV of any kind than it would to fix the old set, which really isn't all that old. It now has a stunning picture, and one that will have to be permanently stretched to avoid further problems. It is possible if your set is only 28 months old you can still get parts fairly easily, and order them yourself after a tech determines which tubes are the most burned-in. With a set that new, it seems impossible that all three tubes are bad...if you're lucky it might just be one.

Good luck!
post #293 of 386 Old 06-12-2006, 09:37 AM

How do you figure which ones are burned?

Where did you find parts?

I google with no luck and I do not trust Sears, where I bought it. I have no problem spending 3 to 6 hundred to fix a $3500 set.

My center 90% is darker (reddish) than the edges.

Thanks
post #294 of 386 Old 06-12-2006, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by utvnut View Post

How do you figure which ones are burned?

Where did you find parts?

I google with no luck and I do not trust Sears, where I bought it. I have no problem spending 3 to 6 hundred to fix a $3500 set.

My center 90% is darker (reddish) than the edges.

Thanks

The technician that helped me had a device where he could project the light from one tube at a time on the screen. The image direct from the green and blue tubes was terrible; each showed the burn-in which was well defined with the bars on the sides of the screen, and by seeing each color individually, we also found burned in images I had not noticed before, like channel logos, etc. I later learned that you can replicate this method by finding an image on a color calibration dvd like Avia, etc., which has an all blue, all green etc screen - but you will be best off with a tech who has the proper tools.

I called Hitachi's 800 number to find parts dealers and requested several distributors from them. Pacific Coast Parts in Oregon, I think, was where I found one of the last blue tubes available in our region for that model set. I lucked out and found the green tube on Ebay - a gamble, but it worked.

Not sure what is causing the reddish tint you're seeing on your set, since all the folks I talked to in doing my research said that the green & blue tubes have the greatest trouble with burn-in; red is seldom involved.

My set also cost $3500 and I also felt the same way about the repair and investment - if I can get another four years out of it, I'll be very happy. By then maybe LCD or DLP tv's will match or surpass the quality of CRT sets, but to my eyes they're not there yet.
post #295 of 386 Old 06-21-2006, 01:43 PM

From an earlier post:
Just put up grey bars or white bars for the side and don't display anything in the middle. How? The time it takes to "erase" the burn-in will be in direct proportion to the amount of time that was spent watching 4:3 content with the black bars

How safe is this and will it actually work over time? ........Is it ok to display a constant black image in the middle with grey bars on the side?
post #296 of 386 Old 06-25-2006, 12:50 PM

I have had my Hitachi rptv for at least 8 years now and have never had a single burn in problem, i was wondering if it would be safe to play games on it. I recently purchased a Yamaha Htr 5890 av reciever and planned on using digital cable to connect my ps2 to my reciever. From there i planned on using the componet monitor output to connect my reciever to my rear projection tv. Please if you have any tips or information to give me on this topic please dont hisitate.
post #297 of 386 Old 07-11-2006, 05:53 AM

Extron videoshift
"Just" 200 $ and you could solve your burn-in problem!!!
I couldn't find the price on the site, but I found the device on ebay at around 200 bucks.

BUt maybe there could be another, cheaper possibility:
How to generate video signals with a PIC microcontroller

How to build a video superimposer with a PIC microcontroller

Maybe these projects could be a starting point to build a simple "plug-in" for TV sets, which just covers up the annoying logo and replaces them with a black rectangle? Not nice, but plasma TV sets would be safe!
post #298 of 386 Old 07-11-2006, 05:55 AM

Another idea: next generation's plasmas could imlpement SW/HW which gives just the suggested PIC effect (or better, it could gray out an user-selectable screen area).
post #299 of 386 Old 07-16-2006, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
How common is image retention on a LCD RPTV? I have a Sony KDF-50E2000 and see light vertcal lines to the left & right of the screen. Looks like border marks from 4:3 viewing. This should go away correct? I've been doing searchers all over and found very little about this subject with RP LCD's. Thanks

"The powerful will be ripped from their decadent nests. And cast out into the cold world that we know and endure. Courts will be convened. Spoils will be enjoyed!"

-Bane

post #300 of 386 Old 07-17-2006, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrisoner View Post

How common is image retention on a LCD RPTV? I have a Sony KDF-50E2000 and see light vertcal lines to the left & right of the screen. Looks like border marks from 4:3 viewing. This should go away correct? I've been doing searchers all over and found very little about this subject with RP LCD's. Thanks

"RP"?
"Rear projection" LCD??? I thought only CRTs could be "RP"! How can an LCD panel be "rear-projected"???
And could LCD suffer from burn-in? There's nothing to be burnt, just crystals oriented in one way or in another and light passing through or not, no phosphors... I think!

I must investigate about this...
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page