MASTER BURN-IN THREAD --> All questions and information must go here - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 386 Old 05-09-2005, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
If you search on here you'll see that I too was 100% opposed to stretching. Well, I have had my 46H84 RPCRT for about three weeks and you know what? The stretching isn't a big deal at all. And it's really a small price to pay for the AMAZING picture I get from DVDs and HDTV. The Toshibas (and others I'm sure) have much improved stretching from the old days when stretching meant everyone looking short and fat and baseballs looking like ovals. In fact, I have to admit that even if I had a DLP or LCD and burn-in was not an issue, I think I'd still stretch because it just looks better filling the whole screen. Holy crap, I can't believe I just said that!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 386 Old 05-09-2005, 08:30 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by xwilliam
If you search on here you'll see that I too was 100% opposed to stretching. Well, I have had my 46H84 RPCRT for about three weeks and you know what? The stretching isn't a big deal at all. And it's really a small price to pay for the AMAZING picture I get from DVDs and HDTV. The Toshibas (and others I'm sure) have much improved stretching from the old days when stretching meant everyone looking short and fat and baseballs looking like ovals. In fact, I have to admit that even if I had a DLP or LCD and burn-in was not an issue, I think I'd still stretch because it just looks better filling the wholse screen. Holy crap, I can't believe I just said that!!

MY HD Tuner doesn't seem to have a strech mode that works - at least I haven't figured it out yet.
post #183 of 386 Old 05-13-2005, 05:03 AM

Let me tell you guys that are really bothered by the way 4:3 materal looks streched that you really should give it a chance. I was the same way but after about 2 weeks I dont even notice it. The best way is to use the option that will stretch the sides more then the center, at first it might seem kind of warped but I promise you wil get used to it.

just my 2 cents

Check out my Home Theater
post #184 of 386 Old 05-16-2005, 03:13 PM

Quote:
JVC HD-61Z585 manual, Page 7

10. ILA element characteristics

Do not project still images or pictures that have still segments for long periods of time. The still parts of the picture may remain on the screen. This is a characteristic of ILA elements and not a malfunction. The picture will disappear over time.

The same manual has a warning against "burn-in" on page 5 which has been suggested in this thread to have come from a CRT television and was accidentally left in the manual. It's in both versions of this manual on JVC's support site, however, and this page 7 warning says something specifically for the ILA quite distinctly.

Best I can guess, if ILA really does not suffer from burn-in, is that the "over time" clause means a very SHORT time, but that the manual editor took to be CRT-like permanent burn-in.

Either way, can anyone give any insight as to what this temporary ghost effect is about? How noticeable is it? How often does it happen? How fast does it self-correct?

Thanks.

~ Nonsanity
post #185 of 386 Old 05-18-2005, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi,

In 2001 & 02, I watched quite a bit of unstretched 4:3 without any negative effects. Now that I have a HD decoder/PVR from my cable company it seems that this box has it's own modes of stretch and zoom that seem to render the picture size modes on my Tosh 65H80 useless.

I've read somewhere that lighter shades like grey (it seems CBS Detroit uses it) will be less harmful. My Tosh has grey bars if it's not connected to my cable box and when I first got the set the grey bothered me so much that I bought black Artist paper and cut it to the size of the bars. Whenever I wasn't watching a dvd, I would put this paper (almost like cardboard) on the frame to cover the bars. I used velcro which allowed the install to be quick. The diagonal 4:3 picture was 53" so from 10 1/2' and since I had just moved up from a 27" picture I was still pretty happy.

Now that I have the HD PVR 90% of all tv we watch is recorded HD. I'm now starting to get pissed if I have to watch something live and can't FF through the commercials.

BTW something that (aside from a dazzeling picture) might make you feel even better about buying a CRT is the life of the guns.
I was reading a UK A/V mag last week which had the life expectancy of the different technologies. Plasma was at the bottom at 6-8 yrs the others 8-10 and CRT the least expensive was 12 yrs +. Apparantly the UK is going to be getting HD in 2006 so all this HT info is becoming more immediate.

My choice was easy, CRT was the only game in town in 2000.

Peter M.

dyslexia "for a cure found"
post #186 of 386 Old 05-18-2005, 11:23 PM

i have a mits 65711, i have had repair problems and tweeter is going to replace it with the model 65815. i have always worried about burn in , and was going to ask if i could get 'dlp' model instead. which is a better tv, rpcrt or dlp? meaning PQ, and overall quality. not sure if dlp technology is developed enough to compare with rpcrt,s. please give me some opinions
post #187 of 386 Old 05-19-2005, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi,

Although the only thing I've owned has been a CRT which I've used for TV, Games,DVDs and a computer monitor for the last 5 yrs burnin has never been on my mind due to the fact that the set was ISF'd from the get go.

On the negative side it is HUGE and will dominate any room it is in. If you do not have a designated room that is used almost soley for MEDIA you may want to think of something more attractive.

On the positive side it's the least expensive and arguably gives the best PQ of all of the technologies when properly calibrate. CRT units need more calibration than most but make up for the cost of that in their low price in comparison to other technologies. As I mentioned before they also live longer.

If I had to choose again I would pick CRT again.

Peter M.

post #188 of 386 Old 05-19-2005, 10:56 AM

thanks for info. i keep tv in basement so size is not an issue. PQ is most important and i love PQ of crt's, i was just a little worried @ burn in. i had 65711 for a couple years and had no problems with burn in. prob just stay with crt. thanks again. how long do you wait to get tv isf'd and is there any time frame on how long calibrate last before you have to have it isf'd again
post #189 of 386 Old 05-19-2005, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi,

The breakin period is between 100 and 200hrs. I have had 1 very minor tuneup after 3 years and my ISF'r was supprised at how little any of the settings had wandered during that time. The only real adjustments that were made was a slight tweaking of the two component inputs due to change of dvd player and cable box.

I have no idea what the actual contast and brightness settings are because after the calibration he set everything to 50% in case I wanted to putts with the settings it would be easy to remember the original values.

If you have your set done and your HT is safe from pets and ankelbiters, I would also reccomend reversing or removing the reflective screen.

Peter M.

post #190 of 386 Old 05-25-2005, 06:43 PM

Does the "Auto Pixel Shift" and similar technologies in Samsung TV's / Other Manufs. really prevent Burn-In totally?
post #191 of 386 Old 05-26-2005, 01:45 PM

So, any ideas on how to remove burn-in caused by closed-captioning?
post #192 of 386 Old 05-26-2005, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi,
I remember reading about some tricks that actually create a reverse burnin where a very strong color at high brightness and contrast is put on top of the burnin lines for a period of time causing them to fade somewhat.

I'm not sure if this is actually works and have no idea how to do it. However if anyone knows how its Michael Chen aka "Michael TLV" one of the top ISF'rs in North America. This type of question might be answered by him or other well known calibrators in the HDTV forum section of www.keohi.com.

If you visit the site you'll find entrance to the HT portion at the bottom of the page.
Theres also lots of other technical info that might be helpful.

Peter M.

post #193 of 386 Old 06-05-2005, 11:40 AM

I have a question about burn-in. I know burn-in is a problem with rear projection CRT displays and Plasmas.

I have read that burn-in is not a problem on LCD displays.

My question is, what about rear projection LCDs? Are they burn-in resistant similar to LCD's?

Finally, what about rear projection DLP's?
post #194 of 386 Old 06-05-2005, 05:07 PM

My new (to me) Mitsubishi WS-73711 came with a logo burn (bought it REALLY cheap from a client). Looks like a CNN logo-ticker combo across the bottom of the screen, really noticeable on light colored screens.

The burn is light yellow in color.

My question is: If I white flood the set to even it out, are all the whites going to show up as a sickly yellow color on the screen?????

If so, I think I will just live with the burn in. I will take a light yellow streak over everything having a sepia tone to it.

Thanks

Rich
post #195 of 386 Old 06-07-2005, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richssat View Post

My new (to me) Mitsubishi WS-73711 came with a logo burn (bought it REALLY cheap from a client). Looks like a CNN logo-ticker combo across the bottom of the screen, really noticeable on light colored screens.

The burn is light yellow in color.

My question is: If I white flood the set to even it out, are all the whites going to show up as a sickly yellow color on the screen?????

If so, I think I will just live with the burn in. I will take a light yellow streak over everything having a sepia tone to it.

Thanks

Rich

That's an awesome TV. I own the WS-65611.

How cheap did you get it for?
post #196 of 386 Old 06-07-2005, 08:31 PM

I paid $750 for it and another $90 to have it professionally moved to my house. It is two years old and was used for less then 6 months. Due to the owners death and subsequent sale of his estate it sat unused in an empty house for quite a while. The new owner of the home is the one who sold it to me. We are upgrading all the audio and video in the house.

I just found out that his death might be the cause of the burn in. Rumor has it that he passed away in the living room (where this set was located) and his demise was not noticed for a few days.

Even with the logo burn, I am still very happy with it.
post #197 of 386 Old 06-07-2005, 09:32 PM
Advanced Member

that's a bit creepy, I hope the tv isn't haunted. It would give new meaning to the term "ghosting."

I want to eat your brains and gain your knowledge.
post #198 of 386 Old 06-07-2005, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

That's why I continually set my sleep timer on my set. That way if I die in my theater, at least the next owner won't have burn in. I'm thoughtful that way.

Mark

It's not just a hobby, it's an obsession...
post #199 of 386 Old 06-10-2005, 09:44 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky_Mark896 View Post

That's why I continually set my sleep timer on my set. That way if I die in my theater, at least the next owner won't have burn in. I'm thoughtful that way.

Mark

Now *that* is funny!
post #200 of 386 Old 06-11-2005, 06:56 PM

What would be really cool is if they could develop a sensor that would detect how much the phosphors are worn in what positions and compensate for burn-in by projecting a brighter image in the exact positions where there's more wear. Of course, I'm guessing if they ever made something like that it would be really expensive...
post #201 of 386 Old 06-11-2005, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bis22 View Post

What would be really cool is if they could develop a sensor that would detect how much the phosphors are worn in what positions and compensate for burn-in by projecting a brighter image in the exact positions where there's more wear. Of course, I'm guessing if they ever made something like that it would be really expensive...

I am sure they could and the cost would not be that great. The problem is they don't want you to have that set to long because it would hurt sales. Aso it would have to function as a extra on the menu when the set is not being watch. SO if you had a burn is on one spot of the TV and changed channels to a something different the spot with the burn in would be brighter. .

Eric

Just remember, No matter where you go there you are
post #202 of 386 Old 06-13-2005, 06:26 AM

Hi everybody, This is my first post. I read about 90% of this thread and still have some questions. I just purchased a JVC AV-56P575 for $1299 at Circuit City. I need this tv to last as long as it can, due to money. I currently have the brightness and contrast set to 0. The image was amazing watching Shrek 2 last night. What are the best settings to use?

Also, I watch hours of 4:3 content in the side stretch mode. I have a ton of DVD's in 1.85 so it fits the screen perfectly. How bad is the harm of watching a 2.35 with the bars on top and bottom if I am watching tons of stretched content before and after the movie?

Any other tips are welcome. This tv is only 2 days old
Thanks in advance.
post #203 of 386 Old 06-13-2005, 09:17 AM

Well from what I can tell as long as you keep things mixed up. some 4:3, games, 16:9, things should be all right. You only run into trouble when you start watching the same thing over and over again. Also be carefull on how your set handles power outages, or misssing input source. My old Sony when the power was out and came back on the input is was on would be displayed and stayed displayed untill the set was turned off or the input was active again. This kind of situation could result in screen burn if left for a long time.

be Coolllll

Eric

Just remember, No matter where you go there you are
post #204 of 386 Old 06-15-2005, 01:34 AM

Are there any physical in-line devices that will start screensavers after a period of inactivity? If so what is it called? Where do I get it? How much? Will it interfere with the regular signal (degrading said signal)?

Thanks,
captkirk
post #205 of 386 Old 06-15-2005, 04:15 PM

I'm looking at the Samsung HLR5668W Power Buy, but I'm concerned that it may be too big since we only have a 7-foot viewing distance. Will the 56" be too much? Will there ever be a 50-inch screen available?
post #206 of 386 Old 06-15-2005, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Jack,

Due to the major increase in Picture Quality of HD and progscan dvd shorter viewing distances are quite acceptable particularly if you have the set ISF'd including removal or reversal of the reflective screen.

I'm 10.5' from 65" and I could easily move up a couple of feet. It only really becomes an issue for people way over on the corners, but if you and someone that smells okay are on the couch it should be great.

Peter M.

post #207 of 386 Old 06-16-2005, 08:56 AM

Peter:

Thanks for the encouraging reply. But what does "have the set ISF'd" mean? And what, exactly, would removal or reversal of the reflective screen accomplish? (And is the screen readily removable/ reversible by a non-techie user like myself?)

Jack
post #208 of 386 Old 06-16-2005, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Jack,
This thread deals with burnin, (and how to avoid it) on the tecnologies prone to that.

ISF (Imaging Science Foundation). HDTV's particularly crt types come from the factory un calibrated. Technicians licenced by this group use expensive scopes that go way beyond the capabilities of DVD's like AVIA and DVE which the ISF techs also use as part of their kit to make sure you get the best picture and that your set lives to it's proper lifespan.

Unfortuneately many people judge a set by what they see on the floor at the store. The picture you see there has no comparison to what it will look like after its calibrated properly.

My suggestion is read magazines like HDTV and join forums like this one and do searches on specific issues.

I'm not saying don't take advantage of the power buy, I have know idea if its a good deal or not. You should also add a few hundred dollars to your budget for a proper calibration if you really care about picture quality.

Peter M.

post #209 of 386 Old 06-17-2005, 07:38 AM

Do many of you burn-in savvy folks (with a contrast in the low 30s or 40s) find it painful when people with RPTVs say their contrast is at 100?

I went to a friend's and his roommate had his 57F510's contrast up to 98...so sad

He'll learn, haha

Is it Friday yet?
post #210 of 386 Old 06-17-2005, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi,

You might have to learn this the hard way but your enthusiasm for helping these people by encouraging them to trun down to at least 50, B & C may become antagonistic.

After that, unless their bills become your bills, your conscience should be clear.

I've had an ISF Calibrator tell me that after just being paid $400, he watched his client turn up the brightness on his set through the livingroom window as he was pulling out of the driveway.

I organized an ISF'rs original trip from Calgary to Toronto back in Feb 2001 and he's since become a friend and still comes twice a year with 20 to 30 sets to do.
Invariably there are a couple of call backs where the client irreversibly screwed up the work that had been done and need a call back.

I don't know what the actual settings on my set are but it shows 50% for everything incase I have the urge to fool around I can always come back to that.

Peter M.

Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page