Forum Jump: 

Old 06-03-2004, 08:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 166
FWIW:
I called Warrantech (WCPS) in Texas (800-263-7403) to see who would be doing the work locally and their database had no one listed! Mind you, I'm not in a major market, but surely not a small on either!

That would be the 2nd major issue. The coverage is ONLY as good as the person/company that comes out to your house, not who administors the plan!

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2004, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by kyungkim
i would still push back his best estimates by a few wks.

K
I tend to agree. Neil is definitely reputable and trying his best, however, his deadlines seem to be continually overly optimistic (e.g., the delays on the power buy being posted and his still not sending the emails he promised to send last weekend to everyone that preordered telling them their place in line). However, from what I've read and heard from others, he does offer great service and has a good company to deal with. I just think he may want to consider "managing expectations" better.

Rich S
TiVo since 1999
Old 06-03-2004, 09:27 AM

Liked: 10
FYI:

Just talked to TV Authority and was told they are expecting the 50" next week. I don't know if they are shipping them next week, or just expecting to receive them next week. No, I dont know about the other sizes or models. I am just relaying info I heard today.

I am not reading in this thread that alot of people are actually pre-ordering.

I wonder what the response has been and how many pre-orders they have received. I wonder if people are hesitant to jump in to the pre-order until they hear more concrete information. Maybe alot of people are still "stung" from the delays with the HD TiVo pre-order. My guess is once TV Authority accounces that they have them and are shipping, we will see alot more orders. I know I am going to order, but I waiting until we get alittle more info on availability. Absolutely a Great Buy !!

Warren in MN
Old 06-03-2004, 09:49 AM

I already pre-ordered. I have the HLN set now, and its **this** close to being a keeper. I'm hoping the HLP will close that gap, so I have no problem with pre-ordering (and sending back my HLN once the 30 days are up).

I'm really hoping they start shipping the 46" HLP within the next 2 weeks, then I won't be without a TV for any time. :)

- Jason Zisk
Old 06-03-2004, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 13
There's no rush to put an order in now...the PowerBuy is open for at least 8 more weeks. Only benefit to getting in now is to be on the top of the list when they ship.

Quote:
Originally posted by MNBugeater
FYI:

Just talked to TV Authority and was told they are expecting the 50" next week. I don't know if they are shipping them next week, or just expecting to receive them next week. No, I dont know about the other sizes or models. I am just relaying info I heard today.

I am not reading in this thread that alot of people are actually pre-ordering.

I wonder what the response has been and how many pre-orders they have received. I wonder if people are hesitant to jump in to the pre-order until they hear more concrete information. Maybe alot of people are still "stung" from the delays with the HD TiVo pre-order. My guess is once TV Authority accounces that they have them and are shipping, we will see alot more orders. I know I am going to order, but I waiting until we get alittle more info on availability. Absolutely a Great Buy !!

Warren in MN
Old 06-03-2004, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by videobruce
I would like to think someone somewhere up North has a extended warrenty available that can be purchased as a 'add-on' separately from the product as one would purchase insurance for a car or house.

I think TVA would be smart to look into warrenty plans for Canada since I beleive there would be enough of a market there to warrent it (no pun intended).
Being a neighbor of Canada (I can ride there on a bike in 20 minutes) they don't have as many outlets and options as we take for granted AND there are more remote areas that lack many of the national retailers that we have here.

As far as return shipping, that is without a doubt the BIGGEST issue I can see with mail ordering a item this size since UPS and FedEx are out of the question! I doubt $90 would get it very far either.
Good Point...........

As Neil stated in another thread, NO the warranty will not be valid in Canada...:mad: If he could ask/inform about an x-tended warranty which would be available , then pulling the trigger would be a no brainer. OTOH not getting any warranty at all from Sammy, leaves me out to dry..... I cant imagine buying a DLP, having it shipped here, & then walking into a BB or Future Shop or any B&M, and buying an EW, if the set was not originally purchased from them....
I agree eith you, in that if an "add-on " EW could be had, well that would solve a hell of alot of worries..........

Regards.........

Rick
Old 06-03-2004, 10:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 166
You wouldn't go to a chain. You would see if you could but from a warrenty provider as TVA has bought from, but only as a comsumer.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
Old 06-03-2004, 10:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 481
You guys in Canada would have to buy a full warranty because it would have to start with day one. I expect that Extended Warranties factor in the fact that most electronic failures happen well within the first year.
Old 06-03-2004, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

For what it is worth, when I placed my preorder for the 50" on Tuesday of this week I was told by Hugh that they anticipated receiving the 50" units next week. My preorder confirmation has an estimated shipping date of 6/8/2004. I am taking that with a grain of salt and really hoping I have the set by the end of June. We shall see.

In the meantime, filling the research void by trying to decide what UPS I want to buy to keep the fan going when the power goes out.

"There's gotta be some way to hook it up, it's the freakin' future" - Eric Cartman
Old 06-03-2004, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by htwaits
You guys in Canada would have to buy a full warranty because it would have to start with day one. I expect that Extended Warranties factor in the fact that most electronic failures happen well within the first year.
I agree Les. If Samsung would even honour a 1yr. warranty (original warranty ) it wouldn't be so bad.. Add on the 3 months for registring warranty on-line , that would be a total of 15 mths. Plus 1 yr. credit card, now were talkin. I'd be willing to accept that.

If it were only possible...? :confused:

BTW...... hows the Mrs.'s...?

Rick
Old 06-03-2004, 11:00 AM

Reading the T&Cs of the RepairMaster extended warranty shows that
the lamp ("bulb") is not covered.

The trail to the warrany (PDF) is:
http://www.tvauthority.com/warranties.asp
http://www.tvauthority.com/repairmaster.asp
http://www.tvauthority.com/pdf/RMUSG002.pdf

I assumed that the Sammy falls under the "Home Theatre System"
option (I didn't read the "Consumer Electronics & Major Appliances (excluding Home Theatre System)" warranty.

Mankind has a perfect record in aviation; we have never left one up there!
Old 06-03-2004, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by Gojhawks
For what it is worth, when I placed my preorder for the 50" on Tuesday of this week I was told by Hugh that they anticipated receiving the 50" units next week. My preorder confirmation has an estimated shipping date of 6/8/2004. I am taking that with a grain of salt and really hoping I have the set by the end of June. We shall see.

In the meantime, filling the research void by trying to decide what UPS I want to buy to keep the fan going when the power goes out.
My 5063 confirmation had en estimated ship date of June 18th - weird that ours would be different.
Old 06-03-2004, 11:36 AM

Well, if we're talking shipping this week or next, I'll place my order now. That was my only real remaining quesiton.

Good tip on calling to see who will actually service the set if there are problems - I'll do that today as well. I'm in Chicago, so I can't imagine there'd be a problem finding someone to service the set.

I got my HLN about 5 minutes ago - it's a W1, so I guess I'm switching for a new model number & an extra HD input :). Well, that and the $400 difference! I'll be taking it back for the HLP, provided TVA can get it here in 30 days.

Thanks everyone!
Old 06-03-2004, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EricScott
My 5063 confirmation had en estimated ship date of June 18th - weird that ours would be different.
Eric

Did you actually call TVA for your ship date or did they email you that info? I pre-ordered the 5063 last weekend and didn't hear anything from them.

I guess I might give them (TVA) a call for a ship date...:confused:
Old 06-03-2004, 11:46 AM

I just placed my order. The woman I talked to said Samsumg told TVA they'd be shipping the 50" TVs next week (to TVA). She (TVA) believed they'd have enough to fill all the pre-orders.

I didn't ask about any other model since I'm getting the 50".

Fingers crossed for the next 30 days...

Added: Just got my confirmation of my pre-order. It says estimated shipping date 6/15/04.
Old 06-03-2004, 11:50 AM

I hope all you guys getting in on the Power Buy (especially those of you who may start receiving the 50" pretty soon) will keep posting on the boards about your new sets. I'm sure a lot of folks will be interested in your opinions about PQ, inputs, menus, and especially the audio sync issue. So keep us posted!
Old 06-03-2004, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jigzaw
Eric

Did you actually call TVA for your ship date or did they email you that info? I pre-ordered the 5063 last weekend and didn't hear anything from them.

I guess I might give them (TVA) a call for a ship date...:confused:
Haven't called TVA since I placed my order by phone as soon as the PB details were released. I received a confirmation email about 3 minutes after I hung up and at the top, in bold red letters it said 6/18 as the estimated ship date - maybe that has changed since, which would explain why people are getting earlier dates on their confirmation emails - at least I hope so. I literally placed my order the second the post came across so I can't imagine I'm too far down in the queue.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

I placed my pre order on the telephone for the 50" on June 1 and also received an e-mail confirming it within minutes. I double checked and the "estimated shipment date" is listed on that e-mail as 6/08/04 so can't explain why some one who ordered before me would been given a later estimated date unless they had some info that would be getting sooner than originally thought. I also asked if they would have enough in first shipment to cover the pre orders and was told thought they did. I have not received any other e-mails as to position in line and such.

This is my first experience with TV Authority and so far has been positive. Within a couple of hours of placing my order I thought of additional questions so I e-mailed my salesman, whose name, extension #, and e-mail address had been provided in the pre order confirmation e-mail. I had a response addressing my specific question within about 15 minutes. I am hoping that the rest of my experience will be as positive.

"There's gotta be some way to hook it up, it's the freakin' future" - Eric Cartman
Old 06-03-2004, 12:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally posted by Rickmtl
BTW...... hows the Mrs.'s...?
She got home from the rehab facility about 15 minutes ago and is catching up on her email at the moment. She is doing fine with her two new knees. :D
Old 06-03-2004, 12:54 PM

Just talked to TVA and they said the 50" are expected to come out before the 46" models. I assume this is because I ordered a 4663. ;)

We have our heading. Here we gooooooo!
Old 06-03-2004, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by coati858
Just talked to TVA and they said the 50" are expected to come out before the 46" models. I assume this is because I ordered a 4663. ;)
That's odd b/c I just spoke to TVA and was told the opposite - that the 46 would be first. I was surprised b/c everything else I had heard suggested the 50's would be first - not sure if my salesman was accurate though.
Old 06-03-2004, 01:09 PM

I am ready to pull the trigger on the 50" bundle, but I am waiting for some addl info.

1. I am trying to find out the space between the two shelves on the Techcraft PTV48 stand. There is a schematic on their website, but there is no dimensions for between the shelves. I want to make sure my components will fit.
2. I emailed the extended warranty company to find our who would service the unit in Columbus Ohio. i am waiting for a return email.
3. Has it been confirmed that the HLP will indeed ship with the seven segment wheel?
Old 06-03-2004, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Based on everything we've been told in the past couple weeks, ALL HLP sets will have a 7-segment wheel.

Quote:
Originally posted by OKAYDAVE
I am ready to pull the trigger on the 50" bundle, but I am waiting for some addl info.

1. I am trying to find out the space between the two shelves on the Techcraft PTV48 stand. There is a schematic on their website, but there is no dimensions for between the shelves. I want to make sure my components will fit.
2. I emailed the extended warranty company to find our who would service the unit in Columbus Ohio. i am waiting for a return email.
3. Has it been confirmed that the HLP will indeed ship with the seven segment wheel?
Old 06-03-2004, 01:58 PM

I placed my order over the weekend. I might have been one of ther first. But now that I've read about the Toshibas with the HD2+ chip for the same price as the Sammys with the HD3 I'm thinking of holding off.

Is anyone waiting until the Toshibas hit the shelves? Seems like almost everyone thinks going from the HD3 to the HD2+ makes a huge difference in PQ.
Old 06-03-2004, 02:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally posted by RMMJ
But now that I've read about the Toshibas with the HD2+ chip for the same price as the Sammys with the HD3 I'm thinking of holding off.
Are you saying that the HLPxx63 through the power buy is the same price as the same sized Toshiba MSRP?
Old 06-03-2004, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RMMJ
I placed my order over the weekend. I might have been one of ther first. But now that I've read about the Toshibas with the HD2+ chip for the same price as the Sammys with the HD3 I'm thinking of holding off.

Is anyone waiting until the Toshibas hit the shelves? Seems like almost everyone thinks going from the HD3 to the HD2+ makes a huge difference in PQ.
The difference in the contrast ratio should make a difference. I dont think that the HD3 is going to bad. Keep in mind that Samsung is now experienced in making DLP's. Toshiba may encounter some glitches with their 1st generation sets . I am sure that it is inevitable. I originally want the 56 with the hd2+ chip, but I dont think that my area will allow for a set that size, so I decided on the 50" HD3.
Old 06-03-2004, 02:15 PM
tjk
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
This looks like a stock reply. I was trying to get information on measurements (just wanted to know if they were the same as the HLN's). That shouldn't be too hard to do, since the models are already well past the design stage.
Samsung Electronics America, Inc. will be releasing several new DLP models (HLP series) during the course of 2004. However, at this time, we are not able to provide any expected dates of release or features. Please keep a close eye in our website www.samsungusa.com for future information on products available in the U.S.

tjk
Old 06-03-2004, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by OKAYDAVE

Hi David,

The height between the two shelves is about 8 inches. I hope this answers your question. If you still need info, please feel free to contact us.

best regards,

Sylvia Batley
Old 06-03-2004, 03:06 PM

Neil posted a short time before the official powerbuy was announced that the 50" would go first, then 46", then 56", and last were the 61". He said the 50" expected mid-June. I believe he expected the 56" by early July. This is from memory though, and I've been wrong before.
Old 06-03-2004, 03:17 PM

Took me a while, but I found the Tech Craft WWW site...

http://www.techcraft.net

Who would have thunk to look for .net vs. .com... oh well.

Mankind has a perfect record in aviation; we have never left one up there!