Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #181 of 3592 Old 06-06-2004, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My reason for the HD3=Need a 61" TV.....I also feel there really won't be much of a difference in PQ with the HD2+ at least to my untrained eyes! I have a HLN567W and love the PQ. will be giving it to my daughter and replacing with the HLP 6163. We sit 16 feet from the front of the screen, the 56" was just alittle small from that distance. Joe V

Joe V.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 3592 Old 06-06-2004, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jayzen
The HD2+ is out of my price range thats why I'm not waiting, nothing to do with "better". Obviously the HD2+ will look better, and if you have the extra $600-$1000 and want to wait then go ahead.
Likewise, the xHD3 will be WAY more than I want to spend on a TV. It'll likely be north of $6k MSRP. However, the HD2+ fits at the upper end on how much money I'm willing to part with.

Therefore, I'm willing to wait a few months to check out the HD2+ when they come out.

I'm in no real hurry to buy a TV, so it makes no sense to me to buy something today. Those salesmen leaches HATE that!
post #183 of 3592 Old 06-06-2004, 11:10 AM

Liked: 11
Here's a different sort of "buy now vs wait" question.

A couple weeks ago, I bought a HLN437W1. Seeing as how I can get the new HLP for the same price I paid for the HLN, it seems smart to go this route. However, the stand I bought with the TV fits the HLN43 *exactly*. According to the dimensions, if I get the new 4663, it will be about 2" too big ... ie., an each over on either side. Does this sound like a problem? I'm thinking that only an inch over is not a problem, but figured I would check. If I waited for the later models, which have the thinner bezel, then it definitely wouldn't be a problem. Any comments appreciated.

Warren
post #184 of 3592 Old 06-06-2004, 12:37 PM

I wouldn't think that you would have a problem with that. The HLP base models are supposed to be similar to the HLN models. The base of my HLN5065W is only 38" while the screen is 46.5". The 46" HLP base model most likely has a narrower base than screen too.
post #185 of 3592 Old 06-06-2004, 12:45 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally posted by reboot7
I wouldn't think that you would have a problem with that, since the HLP base models are supposed to be the same width as the HLN models. The base of my HLN5065W is 38" while the screen is 46.5". The screen will hang over your stand, but the base of the TV should fit comfortably.
I have seen the question asked repeatedly about, does any of HLP's have on top of set, a place to put a center channel speaker. I've seen pictures of the Pedestal models and none them have a place for a center channel speaker.
post #186 of 3592 Old 06-06-2004, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Pulled the trigger this morning!

Went with the HLP-P5663W power buy. Saw the units in New York and can't imagine I'd be happier waiting a few more months. I was determined to enjoy this year's Olympics in HD!

I've been "lurking" for about a year and want to thank those of you who contribute regularly for my education and confidence in this decision.

Better units are obviously on the horizon, but how much better? I expect this unit to please me for 4-5 years, then retire to an upstairs bedroom.

Life is good (and too short) !

Thanks again.
post #187 of 3592 Old 06-06-2004, 05:08 PM

you guys areGREAT keep the data coming to us who need it THANKS
post #188 of 3592 Old 06-06-2004, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by smteched

Went with the HLP-P5663W power buy. Saw the units in New York and can't imagine I'd be happier waiting a few more months. I was determined to enjoy this year's Olympics in HD!

I've been "lurking" for about a year and want to thank those of you who contribute regularly for my education and confidence in this decision.

Better units are obviously on the horizon, but how much better? I expect this unit to please me for 4-5 years, then retire to an upstairs bedroom.

Life is good (and too short) !

Thanks again.
Again, and since you saw it, does it have a location on top of it to place a center channel speaker?
post #189 of 3592 Old 06-06-2004, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Auditor55
Again, and since you saw it, does it have a location on top of it to place a center channel speaker?
I am pretty sure that the 63 series does NOT have a shelf to put the center channel speaker. I saw the units at the NYC show and didn't look specifically for the shelf so I couldn't say for sure, but the unit looks pretty much like the HLNs only thinner. The HLN (non-tantus models) are pretty thin as is on top so I can't imagine the HLPs having room for a speaker.

I actually plan on sitting my center channel right infront of the TV on my stand (didn't get teh Techcraft stand) as my stand is about 24 inches deep and the TV is only 14".
post #190 of 3592 Old 06-06-2004, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I saw a shelf system like this, but can't remember where to buy it.

http://www.penn.freeservers.com/ht/D0152-640.JPG
post #191 of 3592 Old 06-06-2004, 07:19 PM

The new units do not appear to have accommodation for a top-mounted center channel speaker. I recall about a 2" upper ledge. But . . . .
many audio component providers in New York positioned their center channel units on the stand's bottom shelf (floor level). All sounded just fine.

Should you really be determined to place the center channel above the TV, I suppose you could purchase one of those $10, plastic shelves for placing a printer over top of your pc's monitor.

Bottom line, I found the Samsung next generation sets to be stunning. Sony was present in New York, but seemed lacking in initiative, boring, and their representatives were unenthused. I purchased several Sony products over the past few years, but now have no reluctance to try something else.

This time, Samsung's my choice. In a few months I'll let you know if this decision was a good one!
post #192 of 3592 Old 06-06-2004, 08:40 PM
Jzc

Quote:
Originally posted by smteched

After reading the posts and basically cramming and stuffing my head until it's ready to explode and then some for over 6 months, I pulled the trigger on this very same reason last week, to see the Olympics on HDTV. I figured that if I don't do it now, I'm be kicking holes in the walls of my house until 2008 and I'm very PASSIONATE about watching the Olympics whenever it comes on TV. When I heard that the entire Olympics schedule is going to be HD, wellll..... I just had to get the hdtv set.

I went with the 5063 thou but from I can see, it's plenty big enuff for the room it's going in.

Now, all I have to get is a hdtv tuner and I be all set. :)

----- A very stuffed Olympic fan.... ------
post #193 of 3592 Old 06-06-2004, 09:34 PM

I wan't to pull the trigger on the powerbuy sooo badly. I feel like John Belushi on Animal House with the little angel and devil on each sholder. The devil is saying "Do it - You know you want it!" and the angel is saying "Patience is a virtue - Good things come to those who wait."

Right now the angel is winning because I just have to see any one of the HD2+ sets to make my decision. I should know right then and their what to do.
post #194 of 3592 Old 06-06-2004, 09:36 PM

I really should check my spelling and grammer before hitting the post button! :D
post #195 of 3592 Old 06-06-2004, 09:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally posted by King Nine
I really should check my spelling and grammer before hitting the post button! :D
ey us th edt buton fr that. :D
post #196 of 3592 Old 06-07-2004, 12:25 AM

It was Larry Kroger (Tom Hulce) with the angel and devil scene. I think the only thing Bluto would have seen would have been two devils holding fifths of whiskey.
post #197 of 3592 Old 06-07-2004, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry if this has been asked before, but:

1.) Will you all be offering a Panasonic powerbuy? The new Panasonics are around the same price as the Samsung, but they offer the HD2+ chip and possibly the 7 segment wheel. I have seen the 50" PT-50DL54 model for $2,998.77.

2.) Has anyone compared the 2 models? Does Panasonic have DCDi from Fauradja? My biggest concern is dithering as I will be using the TV for gaming and PC gaming. I have heard of some dithering problems with the HLN models.

Thanks
:D
post #198 of 3592 Old 06-07-2004, 08:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally posted by MaxC
1.) Will you all be offering a Panasonic powerbuy?
This power buy was started because someone posted a thread asking if anyone was interested in a second Samsung powerbuy for the HLP sets. The response was so big that TVAuthority, Samsung, and AVS forums worked it out.

What you need to do is start a thread to find out if there is enough interest in the Panasonic DLP. So far I haven't run into much discussion about there new sets except for the news release Panasonic issued.
post #199 of 3592 Old 06-07-2004, 09:07 AM

I am deciding between the 50" and the 56".

Max viewing distance: 9'0"
Min viewing distance: 6'5"

Does anyone know a good thread for asking D* custom installation questions?

Thanks!:)

"Revenge is a dish best served cold." KB
post #200 of 3592 Old 06-07-2004, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by VA Ringer

It seems that folks are deciding on these sets without seeing them. Is anyone even concerned about checking out the DLP's with the HD2+ chips in them?
post #201 of 3592 Old 06-07-2004, 09:17 AM

Quote:

I am in a similar situation where viewing will usually be done at 9.5 feet. On occasion, some viewing will be at 7 feet. After looking at both a 50 and 56, I think I decided on the 50.
post #202 of 3592 Old 06-07-2004, 09:25 AM

Thanks Dave!

How did you decide?

Did you test different distances with different sources. My kid will still watch cartoon mostly in SD.

I would love to go bigger but I dont want it to be too big.:confused:

"Revenge is a dish best served cold." KB
post #203 of 3592 Old 06-07-2004, 09:36 AM

Oh god..this was the last thing i needed after looking at tv's this weekend i finally decided on the Sony GWIII 50" (over the DLP), though i couldn't find a newer model DLP to look at...

Today is the last day for the sale on the GWIII...oh what to do :confused:

...anybody here that thought GWIII is better than the old Sammy, and worse than the new one?

Thanks...

Chris
post #204 of 3592 Old 06-07-2004, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Thanks Dave!

How did you decide?

Did you test different distances with different sources. My kid will still watch cartoon mostly in SD.

I would love to go bigger but I dont want it to be too big.:confused:
That was one of my biggest concerns, SD programming. While the DLP will be used mostly for DVDs and HDTV programming, there still will be occasions where we will be watching SD. I basically went to am electronics store and measured my viewing distance between the two sizes. I would definitely love to have the 56 (my wife even said to go for the 56) but I am apprehensive on sitting to close when the viewing distance will only be 7.5 feet. It is recommended that you view a 50 from at least 8.4 feet and a 56 from at least 9.4 feet.

Does anyone have any experience with viewing a 56 between 7 and 10 feet?
post #205 of 3592 Old 06-07-2004, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EricScott
I am pretty sure that the 63 series does NOT have a shelf to put the center channel speaker.
I emailed Samsung about this question and here's the answer I got:

"The TV does not have a platform for mounting a center channel speaker or light weight component. The spec’s on the product will be posted for July 1, 2004."

I asked specifically about the 5063 shelf and if/when the specs would be avail.
post #206 of 3592 Old 06-07-2004, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Howdy!
I got in on the 5063 buy 3 days ago. An easy decision since I was wanting an
HLN for a while.

Anyhow, if you want an owners manual in advance, try this link;

samsung.com/Support/ProductSupport/download/FileView.aspx?cttfileid=172452&type=TV&typecode=1&subtype=Pr ojection&subtypecode=&cmssubtypecode=103&model=HL-P5063W&filetype=UM&language=#
post #207 of 3592 Old 06-07-2004, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OKAYDAVE
That was one of my biggest concerns, SD programming. While the DLP will be used mostly for DVDs and HDTV programming, there still will be occasions where we will be watching SD. I basically went to am electronics store and measured my viewing distance between the two sizes. I would definitely love to have the 56 (my wife even said to go for the 56) but I am apprehensive on sitting to close when the viewing distance will only be 7.5 feet. It is recommended that you view a 50 from at least 8.4 feet and a 56 from at least 9.4 feet.

Does anyone have any experience with viewing a 56 between 7 and 10 feet?
I view a 106" widescreen from 11ft. It is actually close to the the preferred distance for full HD resolution and THX recommondation. SD can be viewed from futher away since it is a lower resolution. Here is a site with a distance calculator:
http://www.myhometheater.homestead.c...alculator.html

Notice that for HD and THX the distance is "maximum" distance recommended not minimum or average.
post #208 of 3592 Old 06-07-2004, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DanPackMan
Howdy!
I got in on the 5063 buy 3 days ago. An easy decision since I was wanting an
HLN for a while.

Anyhow, if you want an owners manual in advance, try this link;

samsung.com/Support/ProductSupport/download/FileView.aspx?cttfileid=172452&type=TV&typecode=1&subtype=Pr ojection&subtypecode=&cmssubtypecode=103&model=HL-P5063W&filetype=UM&language=#
Thanks!

BTW, that is the manual for the HL-P 4663-6163, inclusive, so no need to change the adress to a specific model number within the series. :)

We have our heading. Here we gooooooo!
post #209 of 3592 Old 06-07-2004, 12:32 PM

Thanks for the link to the manual!! That answered a lot of question I had and makes me feel even better about my purchase. :)

First of all the tv/video button now cycles through the inputs, finally! this was one of my biggest peeves with the HLN, having to use that stupid input menu and waste 4 buttons on my programmable remote just to switch input sources.

The picture mode button is now on the main remote, no need to "flip up" that little door to change the picture mode. Thank you samsung for small miracles!

I don't see a place that shows the current hidef mode in the "display" window, so I'm hoping that when the TV changes resolutions it shows the hidef mode (720p, 1080i, etc) on a banner like other HDTVs. Thats one of my other peeves with the HLN, there is no way to find what hidef mode you are in.

Also looks like they give you finer controls over colors with the MCC thing as well as the "Color Weakness" stuff. Can't wait to play with that. :) Finally I can turn those greens down without screwing everything else up.

Also they added an "Internal Mute" feature, that says it is used to "produce sound which is consistent with what the picture shows". Does this mean if you turn this on it will fix the audio/video sync issues some people have noticed? I never noticed the problem on my HLN but still its encouraging that you can mute the TV to use external speakers in a more standard way now.

Anyway, things are looking good already. Here's hoping the picture is improved as much as the usability. ;)

- Jason Zisk
post #210 of 3592 Old 06-07-2004, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Auditor55
It seems that folks are deciding on these sets without seeing them. Is anyone even concerned about checking out the DLP's with the HD2+ chips in them?
In a world.... "Nope"

Didnt even think about it. I am not trying to sound 'smug' if I am.

I am really just trying to relay that I had no thoughts whatsoever about waiting for the HD2+ sets to come out. I was ready to purchase the HLN months ago and just decided to wait for the newer model (2004) to come out. The improvements in the HLP are just gravy for me, although I will really like the 2 digital inputs and multiple HD formats on all inputs.

I guess an analogy might be if you were in the market for a car and were all ready to buy and then realized that next years model is coming out in a few months so you wait for the new one to come out. Sure the auto maker has a "higher end" model but that wasnt the vehicle you were interested in and have no need for the "higher end".

Just my thoughts...

Warren in MN
Closed Thread Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page