General Samsung HLP Issues & Questions (Post all here) - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #361 of 2307 Old 07-07-2004, 11:13 AM
Member
 
audioAPE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 175
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Doc
audioAPE is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #362 of 2307 Old 07-07-2004, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RMSko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Westfield, NJ 07090
Posts: 1,066
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by Mach430
I've had my HLP 5063 for 3 days now, and while I have definitely been much happier with it than my 5065w (which is being bought back by Samsung), I am concerned about the event that happened yesterday afternoon.

Upon turning on the TV, there was no pause/warm-up; it was instantly on. Everything that was supposed to be white had a pink tint to it! I left it on for a few minutes, but the problem did not go away, so I shut it off. About 30 minutes later, I tried again and everything was normal. Any ideas? The TV was left on the 3 hour sleep mode earlier that day, but I do not see how that would effect it.

Also, and maybe this is normal, but when using the Audio outs on the TV to connect to a stereo (I don't a nice speaker setup yet), there is a delay between what you see on the TV and hear through the speakers. If both the TV and stereo speakers are on there is an echo to confirm this.

Thanks,

I have a 5663W and have the exact same problem, but I only have it through my DVI connection. Are you having the problem in DVI? Are you using an HDTiVo. I am and I'm wondering whether the problem may be with the TiVo. Let me know.

Rich S
TiVo since 1999
RMSko is offline  
post #363 of 2307 Old 07-08-2004, 11:44 AM
Member
 
CraigSharrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Marin County, CA
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got my HLP5063 two weeks ago (Samsung & BB took back my HLN5067)

I've got my 5063 set up as follows:

Comcast Motorola 6200 outputs 720P/840P to DVI.
Replay outputs to component
Sammy 931 DVD outputs to HDMI (DVI>HDMI cable)

Four nights ago I went to switch from (a) SDTV via DVI to (b) Replay via component. The screen locked up on the SDTV signal, but with the colors a "solarized, high-contrast infrared photography-looking" image. The 5063 would not switch to any of the other inputs. Had to unplug power to correct the problem. This occurred twice that evening, but not since.

Thurday Jul 08 - The new problem is the dreaded 3-flashing lights. I've got a call into Sammy's Digital Service Dept currently. On the lighter, ironic side, the CSR at 1-800-SAMSUNG had difficulty setting up my case file. He said, "I'm having difficulty getting the system to accept the model number; they don't tell us where to put the hyphens in the product code."

Saturday Jul 10 Update - Four calls in to Digital Service Dept (800-747-5618) two on Thursday, one on Friday, one this morning: each time I've been told that Samsung has forwarded an on-site repair request to a local Samsung technician "who's very good at contacting customers promptly". Needless to say "Speedy" hasn't contacted me yet to set up an appointment.

So, bottom line: Had 4 months of on-going unresolved problems with the HLN and the two-week-old HLP is down for the count.

Tuesday Jul 13 Update - Got a voicemail from the local Samsung-authorized service technician via his cellphone. The entire message is as follows: "Call me on my cellphone to set up an appointment; my phone number is [end of message]". Seems like he went thru the loss-of-cell-signal tunnel at just the right critical moment, so I'm hoping to guess his phone number telepathically.

Thurday Jul 15 Update - Called Samsung Wednesday and today. After 7 phone calls during the past 8 days I still have not been contacted by the service technician to set up an appointment to inspect/repair the 5063.

Friday Jul 16 Update - Called 1-800-747-5618, waited in the queue for 20 minutes and finally spoke with yet another Samsung Digital Service Coordinator named Mike, who promised to stay on top of my problem all day until it was resolved. Did not hear back from him.

Monday Jul 19 Update - Called 1-800-747-5618, waited in the queue for 15 minutes, then got DSCoord. Brian online. I asked to speak with Mike. Was told Mike was not there. Asked to speak to Caroline Segura, the department manager. She was "not available". Brian said that another supervisor said they could issue an RMA and have BB exchange the set. I said that (a) I hadn't run out BB's 30-day return policy but (b) BB had no HLP5063s in their warehouse and were not expecting a shipment until some time in August. Brian said he'd check into the matter further. Never heard from Brian again.

Tuesday Jul 20 Update - Finally got a call from the Samsung Field Service Engineer - he said he couldn't fix my problem because Samsung didn't have any HLP replacement lamps/ballast at their parts warehouse.

I contacted the Samsung Parts warehouse and spoke to a CSR who said they were expecting replacement lamps/ballast for the HLP5063s "today or tomorrow". I called the FSE and told him what I learned from the Sammy parts warehouse and gave both parties each others direct phone numbers.

Thursday Jul 22 Update - The Samsung Field Service Engineer called, said he was told by Samsung that my TV's serial number indicated it needed only the lamp and not the ballast. He received the lamp assembly today, and arranged to come install it in an hour. Really nice helpful, knowledgeable guy. Installed new lamp, reconnected power, and....
STILL NO PICTURE!!!.

Friday Jul 23 Update - The Samsung Field Service Engineer called today at 2pm - he had just received the ballast via FedEx. Again was here in an hour. Installed new ballast, reconnected power, and....
STILL NO PICTURE!!!..

He said that he'd submit his installation report to Samsung and see whether they would send a light engine assembly or a whole new TV.

Saturday Jul 24 Update - Went to BB to see whether any HLP5063 had arrived yet. No luck. Still claiming an early August delivery date.

Salt in the wound: this weekend I saw an HLP5063 at CC for $300 less than BB's price - but I'm outside the 30-day price guarantee policy window, since the original paperwork went thru on June 22 though the TV actually was delivered on June 25.


Observation regarding the Samsung Digital Service Coordinator Department: Not once during this entire month of July has any DSC ever called me back to provide any sort of update/status.

Wednesday Jul 28 Update - Called Samsung Digital Service Department and left a message this morning @ 4am. Shock of shocks: someone called me back for the very first time @ 8am.

They said they were surprised to hear from me since Samsung was shipping me a new TV. I said I was surprised inasmuch as this is the first I'd ever heard about that. Samsung reply: "Oops, well someone was supposed to call and tell you. Our trucking company will get in touch with you sometime in early August; it takes 10-14 days for an exchange to occur".


Moral: you won't get compensated for pain & suffering or a month's loss of use/access of a brand new TV; be grateful they're willing to replace a defective $3,500 TV at all! Oh yeh, and remember to smile.

Monday August 02 Update - Got a call last Friday from Samsung's trucking company advising us that they planned to deliver a new HLP5063 today. Arrived at noon. This one is built in Korea - Jun 2004, the dead TV was a May 2004 Mexico build.

I would swear that the PQ of the new set is better than the old dead one - but remember, I haven't seen the old set's PQ in a month - so memory could be deceiving me.
CraigSharrow is offline  
post #364 of 2307 Old 07-08-2004, 01:37 PM
Newbie
 
dwduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Appreciate all the info I found here... thought I would share my experience.

Purchased an HLP4663W from BB, delivered yesterday, after reading here about so many issues, I wanted to confirm what I have seen, looks great sitting in family room nook/built in shelf area,almost plasma like as far as asthetics ( if it weren't for the stupid speakers at the bottom which will likely never play a sound).

Rainbow effect: not here (but I keep my head still when i watch TV but now I am thinking of trying out shaking my head to see if I can see a rainbow)

Lip Synch: can't detect it on HD through cable with DVI to TV and optical to receiver, maybe a little bit on old DVD player w/ component video and digital coax audio but I thought I noticed it before on 31" CRT when watching Nemo (as was the test for HLP).

Smudges: nope just finger prints from install.

Lines, dots, stuck mirrors: nope

HD Cable: ______ (speechless)
SD Cable : some suck some OK (suck is relative to the HD channels)
Digital Cable: good (sure wish everything was HD though )
No panorama with DVI input on regular size images (going to try to use an additional video out of cable box to other input to allow me to stretch ESPN until TimeWarner gets an HD deal worked out) sort of sucks


IMHO this TV kicks ass....

OK OK I do have a problem though and the authorized serv. tech is coming out tomorrow... there is a piece of dust dirt debris lint, somewhere inside the TV blocking light onto the screen... not mirrors stuck b/c I can see strands or fibers on one end... you can see it when the tv is off also... I didn't notice it for an hour or so but when I did I cant stop seeing it from 9-10 feet away, from 15 - 20 feet one can not see it...

Later
DW
dwduck is offline  
post #365 of 2307 Old 07-08-2004, 01:40 PM
Senior Member
 
vlapietra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: New York City, New York, USA
Posts: 335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by dwduck
Rainbow effect: not here (but I keep my head still when i watch TV but now I am thinking of trying out shaking my head to see if I can see a rainbow)

Why go looking for trouble?

-- Vinny
vlapietra is offline  
post #366 of 2307 Old 07-08-2004, 04:47 PM
Member
 
csimington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Right now I have HD via DVI; DVD via Component and watch SD on my SA 8000 DVR via S-Video - trying to figure out the best settings for DVD and SD (HD seems to be pretty good right now).

Eric,
I'm sorry I missed this post the other day! I just received my SA 8000 yesterday and my DLP is shipping as of this morning. I'm curious why you use S-video for SD and not Component? I assume SD does not look good with DVI?
Clark
csimington is offline  
post #367 of 2307 Old 07-08-2004, 05:32 PM
Senior Member
 
MNBugeater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Baudette, MN
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by csimington
Eric,
I'm sorry I missed this post the other day! I just received my SA 8000 yesterday and my DLP is shipping as of this morning. I'm curious why you use S-video for SD and not Component? I assume SD does not look good with DVI?
Clark

If it is anything like my setup, my best option IS S-Video. I have the Hughes Series 2 DirectTV TiVo box and the best output is the S-Vid. Use the DVI for my VOOM box. LOVE Voom !!!

Warren in MN
MNBugeater is offline  
post #368 of 2307 Old 07-08-2004, 06:03 PM
Member
 
rah50's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Santa Fe, NM
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by dwduck
Appreciate all the info I found here... thought I would share my experience.

Purchased an HLP4663W from BB, delivered yesterday, after reading here about so many issues, I wanted to confirm what I have seen, looks great sitting in family room nook/built in shelf area,almost plasma like as far as asthetics ( if it weren't for the stupid speakers at the bottom which will likely never play a sound).

Rainbow effect: not here (but I keep my head still when i watch TV but now I am thinking of trying out shaking my head to see if I can see a rainbow)

Lip Synch: can't detect it on HD through cable with DVI to TV and optical to receiver, maybe a little bit on old DVD player w/ component video and digital coax audio but I thought I noticed it before on 31" CRT when watching Nemo (as was the test for HLP).

Smudges: nope just finger prints from install.

Lines, dots, stuck mirrors: nope

HD Cable: ______ (speechless)
SD Cable : some suck some OK (suck is relative to the HD channels)
Digital Cable: good (sure wish everything was HD though )
No panorama with DVI input on regular size images (going to try to use an additional video out of cable box to other input to allow me to stretch ESPN until TimeWarner gets an HD deal worked out) sort of sucks


IMHO this TV kicks ass....

OK OK I do have a problem though and the authorized serv. tech is coming out tomorrow... there is a piece of dust dirt debris lint, somewhere inside the TV blocking light onto the screen... not mirrors stuck b/c I can see strands or fibers on one end... you can see it when the tv is off also... I didn't notice it for an hour or so but when I did I cant stop seeing it from 9-10 feet away, from 15 - 20 feet one can not see it...

Later
DW


I received my 46" from BB today as well. Bad luck, my HD Tivo from eBay got lost by FedEx.

I also have a new problem to report, or at least one I don't remember seeing being reported:

Since my HD Tivo didn't arrive, I setup my SD Tivo using AV3 & S-Video 3 i.e. the ports on the side. Thru these ports it would occasionaly drop the video totally. The audio was fine. The video would always come back when I changed inputs. This is interesting, and to me indicates a software issue, it would not drop the video after using PIP for any amount of time.

Anyone else see this?

Otherwise the set looks great on SD, or at least as good as the feed will allow. I am switching back and forth between Cinema & Standard as I can't decide which is best. I guess it will be dependent on the feed. Also, I've seen the rainbow maybe once this afternoon, no more. No smudges to report or any sync problems in this May manufactured unit.

Bob
rah50 is offline  
post #369 of 2307 Old 07-08-2004, 06:56 PM
Member
 
Mach430's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by RMSko
I have a 5663W and have the exact same problem, but I only have it through my DVI connection. Are you having the problem in DVI? Are you using an HDTiVo. I am and I'm wondering whether the problem may be with the TiVo. Let me know.

I don't have anything to use with the DVI input yet, but I am having this problem occur through ANT A (cable) input as well as my component (xbox) input. Samsung is supposed to be contacting me directly in order to send out a factory tech to address this. It has been 1 week since, and I have yet to hear from them. Jason @ TV Authority has been very helpful. In fact, he arranged for the factory techs to contact me directly (after I was originally contacted by a local repair center who was not only incompetent but also lied (stated that they had worked on several HLP's 1 week after the TV was out)).

Thumbs up to TV Authority, however the jury is still out on Samsung as I am waiting for not only this TV to be repaired/replaced but also my HLN to be picked up so that I can be reimbursed (a/v sync problems).
Mach430 is offline  
post #370 of 2307 Old 07-09-2004, 04:41 AM
Advanced Member
 
DanPackMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: NC
Posts: 523
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I was watching my new 5063 last night using rabbit ears to get local stations in SD while waiting for my D* hookup this weekend.

I noticed that after drinking a bottle of wine, the SD picture improved noticeably. I find this is much easier to do that adjusting picture settings, so I am relaying it to everyone as a time saving tip.

I plan to test this approach using beer tonight. I will report on the results.
DanPackMan is offline  
post #371 of 2307 Old 07-09-2004, 06:51 AM
Newbie
 
Mr. Nerdidly's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by DanPackMan
I was watching my new 5063 last night using rabbit ears to get local stations in SD while waiting for my D* hookup this weekend.

I noticed that after drinking a bottle of wine, the SD picture improved noticeably. I find this is much easier to do that adjusting picture settings, so I am relaying it to everyone as a time saving tip.

I plan to test this approach using beer tonight. I will report on the results.

Please let me know ASAP as I like wine but am not opposed to a beer.

If you notice any difference between cheese and pretzels, let us know as this could sway many an opinion!
Mr. Nerdidly is offline  
post #372 of 2307 Old 07-09-2004, 06:58 AM
Member
 
Firest0rms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I took the plunge yesterday and got the 46" HLP from BB. I had them match CC's 10% off sale price, and then used my rewards card, still more that TVA but ill live.

They really pushed hard for the service plan which I comfirmed, DOES cover bulbs as of July. Thats when they changed there policies and also made if more expensive... I didn't get it but still might, how much does one pay for peace of mind??????

The BB here in Lincoln NE had the 50' HLP, 50 HLN, 50 sony LCD all right next to each other, IMO I liked the HLP the best, Cleanest, no screen door, no jaggies. I also felt that the DNIe helped, but thats just me.

RGR that DanPackMan, I'll prob need some beer to ease my SD, and pocket book woes here too.

"If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z, X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut."
--Albert Einstein
Firest0rms is offline  
post #373 of 2307 Old 07-09-2004, 08:03 AM
Senior Member
 
gimphboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 310
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone have Powerstrip settings for the HLP series sets to help minimize overscan? I've tried the settings mentioned early on in this thread, but they don't seem to work. I'm using VGA out, but I am tempted to try DVI, as soon as the darn cables arrive .

-Tony
gimphboi is offline  
post #374 of 2307 Old 07-09-2004, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RMSko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Westfield, NJ 07090
Posts: 1,066
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:


Originally posted by Mach430
I don't have anything to use with the DVI input yet, but I am having this problem occur through ANT A (cable) input as well as my component (xbox) input. Samsung is supposed to be contacting me directly in order to send out a factory tech to address this. It has been 1 week since, and I have yet to hear from them. Jason @ TV Authority has been very helpful. In fact, he arranged for the factory techs to contact me directly (after I was originally contacted by a local repair center who was not only incompetent but also lied (stated that they had worked on several HLP's 1 week after the TV was out)).

Thumbs up to TV Authority, however the jury is still out on Samsung as I am waiting for not only this TV to be repaired/replaced but also my HLN to be picked up so that I can be reimbursed (a/v sync problems).

Did the problem ever repeat itself or did it happen just that one time? I'm pretty sure mine was a TiVo problem since this is a known issue with the HDMI on TiVos. Also, I didn't have the "immediate startup" issue, I just had a pink screen, which went away as soon as I used component instead of DVI. BTW - When I first had the problem I also called Samsung and I too am waiting for a return call from them. I spoke with Samsung on Tuesday evening.

Rich S
TiVo since 1999
RMSko is offline  
post #375 of 2307 Old 07-09-2004, 01:04 PM
Newbie
 
chicagobadger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
can anyone make suggestions for what settings worked well for their HLP5063Ws? i dont have a calibration CD and won't for a while. looking for a temporary fix, you know. be my dealer.
chicagobadger is offline  
post #376 of 2307 Old 07-09-2004, 02:25 PM
Newbie
 
pbiondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Londonderry, NH
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had my 4663 for two days now. Last night I was watching the Red Sox baseball game on NESN-HD via Adelphia Cable. For the most part the picture looked great. However, when they zoomed in very closely on the batter and panned the camera slightly, the entire background image of the crowd had almost a strobing effect while the camera panned. When it stopped the image was fine. I did notice that the background crowd was much darker than the face of the player, so I was wondering if some setting was set too high or too low. Any help would be appreciated.
pbiondo is offline  
post #377 of 2307 Old 07-09-2004, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Tabasco's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: West Texas
Posts: 1,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That's not a TV problem, that's a source problem. For some reason, night games in HD just look off. I think it's probably b/c stadium lighting is designed to illuminate the field, not the fans. Don't worry about your TV on this issue.

Also, sometimes an overly dark screen can be the result of squeezed bandwidth. I currently have a 1080i fixed display and have seen it occur.
Tabasco is offline  
post #378 of 2307 Old 07-09-2004, 02:51 PM
Newbie
 
pbiondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Londonderry, NH
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks squicken,

Are you referring to the darkness or the strobing effect or both? I was most concerned with the strobing effect as it was very noticable and distracting.
pbiondo is offline  
post #379 of 2307 Old 07-09-2004, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Tabasco's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: West Texas
Posts: 1,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was referring to the darkness. I've yet to receive my hlp, and have never owned a DLP, so I can't say for sure what's with the strobing (possibly rainbow). In general, PQ problems are almost always a source problem. Try to watch a ESPN-HD game or INHD game to see if you notice strobing with quick pans. I am guessing it's a source problem. If it's there on some channels and not on others, then it's definitely source. Sorry for not being clearer.
Tabasco is offline  
post #380 of 2307 Old 07-09-2004, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Tabasco's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: West Texas
Posts: 1,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...e-10-2000.html

Is NESN 1080i? Both interlacing artifacts and rainbows can occur with quick pans. You can see interlacing artifacts even on a 720p fixed set. Read this for more info on various types of artifacts.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...e-10-2000.html
Tabasco is offline  
post #381 of 2307 Old 07-09-2004, 06:06 PM
Member
 
rah50's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Santa Fe, NM
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by dwduck


HD Cable: ______ (speechless)
SD Cable : some suck some OK (suck is relative to the HD channels)
Digital Cable: good (sure wish everything was HD though )
No panorama with DVI input on regular size images (going to try to use an additional video out of cable box to other input to allow me to stretch ESPN until TimeWarner gets an HD deal worked out) sort of sucks


DW

I have to agree. I got HD up today thru the HDMI from my HD Tivo. Just awesome!

rah
rah50 is offline  
post #382 of 2307 Old 07-10-2004, 08:27 AM
Member
 
Mach430's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by RMSko
Did the problem ever repeat itself or did it happen just that one time? I'm pretty sure mine was a TiVo problem since this is a known issue with the HDMI on TiVos. Also, I didn't have the "immediate startup" issue, I just had a pink screen, which went away as soon as I used component instead of DVI. BTW - When I first had the problem I also called Samsung and I too am waiting for a return call from them. I spoke with Samsung on Tuesday evening.

Did it ever repeat itself? How about, will it ever stop? It started as a temporary 5-10 minute annoyance that would occure occassionally upon startup. Now it happens everytime the TV is started, and stays on for about 30-60 minutes. It sure would be nice if someone at Samsung would actually follow through and call me back!
Mach430 is offline  
post #383 of 2307 Old 07-10-2004, 09:03 AM
Newbie
 
likeautumn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am new to these forums, but have gotten a ton of information from here and pulled the trigger on a great deal on a hlp5063 last week. I am very happy with the set except for one thing. Whenever something is on a white or semi-white background (like names on the back of a baseball jersey) everything appears blurred together and VERY bright. There is no way to read the names from any distance hd or not. I am new to these types of sets and don't know anything about tweaking them. I have played with the contrast, brightness, etc. but to no avail. I do not feel comfortable editing the service menu with no guidance. Please help. Thanks.
likeautumn is offline  
post #384 of 2307 Old 07-10-2004, 09:40 AM
Senior Member
 
jbarbbcuny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by likeautumn
I am new to these forums, but have gotten a ton of information from here and pulled the trigger on a great deal on a hlp5063 last week. I am very happy with the set except for one thing. Whenever something is on a white or semi-white background (like names on the back of a baseball jersey) everything appears blurred together and VERY bright. There is no way to read the names from any distance hd or not. I am new to these types of sets and don't know anything about tweaking them. I have played with the contrast, brightness, etc. but to no avail. I do not feel comfortable editing the service menu with no guidance. Please help. Thanks.

Try this: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=244193
Although it's for HLN and not HLP, it should apply to both.
jbarbbcuny is offline  
post #385 of 2307 Old 07-10-2004, 11:45 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 24,766
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:


Originally posted by jbarbbcuny
Try this: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=244193
Although it's for HLN and not HLP, it should apply to both.

There is a big difference between HLM and HLN service settings. The differences were represented by many firmware changes even though both model lines essentially had the same light engine and DLP chip.

Why wouldn't there be a significant difference between HLM/HLN and the new HLP sets? The HLP sets have a new light engine and a new DLP chip.

I think it's dangerous to recommend that people use information about the HLM/HLN service menu settings on their HLP sets -- maybe not life threatening but surely confusing.
htwaits is offline  
post #386 of 2307 Old 07-10-2004, 11:49 AM
Senior Member
 
jbarbbcuny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry about that.
Is there an HLP tweak thread yet?
jbarbbcuny is offline  
post #387 of 2307 Old 07-10-2004, 12:03 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 24,766
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:


Originally posted by jbarbbcuny
Sorry about that.
Is there an HLP tweak thread yet?

I'm too chicken to make changes on my own and start one.

It will take a while to get HLPxx63 tweak threads started, especially with the HD2+ and xHD3 chips coming. There were only a few dedicated hobbyist who invested in the right equipment to do a real calibration on the HLM/HLN sets. We need someone like that to have access to a HLPxx63 set.

On of the problems is that all the tweak threads have a percentage of information in them that might be doubtful to use. It takes a village of "tweakers" to improve the PQ of any given model.
htwaits is offline  
post #388 of 2307 Old 07-10-2004, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Tabasco's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: West Texas
Posts: 1,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by htwaits
I'm too chicken to make changes on my own and start one.

It will take a while to get HLPxx63 tweak threads started, especially with the HD2+ and xHD3 chips coming. There were only a few dedicated hobbyist who invested in the right equipment to do a real calibration on the HLM/HLN sets. We need someone like that to have access to a HLPxx63 set.

On of the problems is that all the tweak threads have a percentage of information in them that might be doubtful to use. It takes a village of "tweakers" to improve the PQ of any given model.

Although I never use the phrase "It takes a village", I agree with the sentiment. I'm none to eager to mess up my set, but am not afraid of messing around a little. I'm worried about the warranty. I thought I read Samsung could now see how often the SM was accessed, and may void warranties if you mess around. Any info. on this?
Tabasco is offline  
post #389 of 2307 Old 07-10-2004, 01:08 PM
Senior Member
 
jbarbbcuny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My idea if tweaking is pretty elementary, I guess. I've got someone lined up to do my calibration......wouldn't touch it myself. I was thinking more of how to do the cables and setup between cable box, tv, and receiver. Yamaha RX-v 2400 arrived yesterday along with boxes of cables from Cables to Go and surge suppressor from Brick Wall. Samsung on PB not here yet.

So here are several questions: (1) Is there any reason I should consider running the Cable box through the receiver instead of directly to the tv set?
(2) I bought 1 DVI-D cable to run from cable box (which will be installed after TV arrives). DVD progressive scan player does not have DVI output only component. So is there anything I'm overlooking which would require an additional DVI cable? For the time being I'm not attaching anything else other than an old cassette tape deck.
TIA
jbarbbcuny is offline  
post #390 of 2307 Old 07-10-2004, 01:23 PM
Member
 
rah50's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Santa Fe, NM
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by rah50
I have to agree. I got HD up today thru the HDMI from my HD Tivo. Just awesome!

rah

Looks like I've spoken too soon. In addition to the input dropout issue, my set has developed the vertical line problem. It's intermittant at the moment.

BB has setup a tech to come on Wednesday.

rah
rah50 is offline  
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off