General Samsung HLP Issues & Questions (Post all here) - Page 77 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2281 of 2307 Old 01-27-2009, 07:53 PM
Member
 
Zack Allen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerNut View Post

Anyone know where I can get a copy of the Service Manual for a HL-P6163w without having to give Samsung, who I'm a little pissed with at the moment, any more of my money?

I know how to get into the menu by hitting mute-1-8-2-Power but I would like to learn how to tweak settings. I saw that my lamp hours is over 14,000+ hours. I'm on my 2nd bulb and it was never reset. Not that I'm sure how to reset it. I'm thinking of buying a new one before this one blows and use the new one. I'd hang onto the old one to serve as a back up when something happens to the newer one. That's what I was thinking anyway.

But if someone knows where the manual might be posted online or where to find a copy cheaper than Samsung itself is selling if for, I would be grateful.

Go to http://www.samsung.com/us/support/do...&menu=download, or just logon to the web sites, click on TV then DLP and look for your model number. They have several versions of the manual in pdf format. There's no fee. You can read it on the computer or print it out or print parts of it out.
Zack Allen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2282 of 2307 Old 01-28-2009, 04:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RaceTripper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 3,866
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Allen View Post

Go to http://www.samsung.com/us/support/do...&menu=download, or just logon to the web sites, click on TV then DLP and look for your model number. They have several versions of the manual in pdf format. There's no fee. You can read it on the computer or print it out or print parts of it out.

He is looking for the service manual, not the user guide.

I had the service manual, but got rid of this TV and have since deleted it.
RaceTripper is offline  
post #2283 of 2307 Old 01-28-2009, 08:59 PM
Member
 
Zack Allen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post

He is looking for the service manual, not the user guide.

I had the service manual, but got rid of this TV and have since deleted it.

Yes you're right, just user manuals. Sorry to hear your TV didn't last. I have been one of the lucky ones (just knocked on the wooden table next to me). Bought in 9-04 and just needed to replace a lamp, and we watch way too much TV in my house. I have a new rule, though. I don't turn this TV on anymore just to watch for a few minutes, because of the information on this forum. I noticed these sets aren't advertised as much in the weekly circulars of the remaining US major national electonics retailer. I think they need to come out with a 100,000-mile (160,000 km to everyone else in the world) warranty. I really like the DLP picture and I am sorry to hear of all the problems.
Zack Allen is offline  
post #2284 of 2307 Old 01-29-2009, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RaceTripper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 3,866
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Allen View Post

Yes you're right, just user manuals. Sorry to hear your TV didn't last. I have been one of the lucky ones (just knocked on the wooden table next to me). Bought in 9-04 and just needed to replace a lamp, and we watch way too much TV in my house. I have a new rule, though. I don't turn this TV on anymore just to watch for a few minutes, because of the information on this forum. I noticed these sets aren't advertised as much in the weekly circulars of the remaining US major national electonics retailer. I think they need to come out with a 100,000-mile (160,000 km to everyone else in the world) warranty. I really like the DLP picture and I am sorry to hear of all the problems.

I didn't say my TV didn't last. I said I got rid of it, as in sold it on Craigslist, about a month ago. I replaced it with the HL67A750 LED-based 1080P DLP. The new TV is a huge improvement over the HLP.
RaceTripper is offline  
post #2285 of 2307 Old 01-29-2009, 09:57 AM
Member
 
Zack Allen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Oh good, it seems you confidence in the DLP's. I would love to get a 1080p set with LED instead of a lamp etc. It's in the budget for the day after I win the lottery. But I have enjoyed 4.5 years of HDTV by not waiting for them to come out.
Zack Allen is offline  
post #2286 of 2307 Old 01-29-2009, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RaceTripper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 3,866
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Allen View Post

Oh good, it seems you confidence in the DLP's. I would love to get a 1080p set with LED instead of a lamp etc. It's in the budget for the day after I win the lottery. But I have enjoyed 4.5 years of HDTV by not waiting for them to come out.

Actually, Samsung is getting out of the RP DLP business. There are no new models for 2009. The LED sets have been on sale at various vendors (as low as $999 for the 61") and are starting to disappear from inventories. Anyone who doesn't get one soon probably won't get one at all.

I'm glad I got my 67" when I did because it looks fantastic.
RaceTripper is offline  
post #2287 of 2307 Old 02-02-2009, 10:07 AM
Newbie
 
insidious66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I've got a problem with my hlp4663. Yesterday I turned it on and instantly heard this buzzing rattling sound and then a loud pop from the back of the tv, and it died. All I can get now is a blank screen and three blinking lights on the front. I've tried hard resets, but the tv still refuses to turn on. I'm thinking it might be a bad color wheel? What do you think? It's about 2 years old, by the way.
insidious66 is offline  
post #2288 of 2307 Old 02-08-2009, 06:04 PM
Newbie
 
menappi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok so our TV has been experiencing some image problems lately. Model is a Samsung HLP6163 and the problem is that the picture randomly displays areas of intense red. It varies when this happens, comes and goes, but it's always red, almost looks like it's some sort of thermal vision effect (picture posted below). Was taken to a repair shop and they said the 'light engine' needed to be replaced, but if I'm not mistaken, the light engine is basically the entire tv. I'm wondering if it's something I can replace individually. The lamp was replaced recently and the color wheel doesn't make any weird noises and looks to be fine (not broken)..

Anybody have an idea?
menappi is offline  
post #2289 of 2307 Old 02-09-2009, 07:17 AM
Senior Member
 
iolmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 467
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I did a search and came up with very little. I have an older 46 inch DLP with about 3400 hours on the unit. It began turning off randomly. No flicker, just off. The fan is running and the amount of time it stays on varies. The unit will turn on right away with no problem. I called Samsung and got the usual response of schedule a service call. No real input as to what might be the problem. The rep did say it was not the bulb. I'm not sure it is worth repairing at this point unless someone here can give me some input. model HL-P4663W
iolmaster is offline  
post #2290 of 2307 Old 02-13-2009, 02:42 AM
Newbie
 
yellowfever9271's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerNut View Post

I hope someone having the same frustration as myself finds this post and figures out how to get their TV to work without having to pay a technician!

THANKS so much to your post and the others on the jumper/bearing problem, this is exactly what I've been searching for. After hearing the dreaded grinding motor problems after I bought the TV, I replaced the color wheel which fixed that problem and then added the blue/green screen problems. I'm trying this tomorrow. Thanks again
yellowfever9271 is offline  
post #2291 of 2307 Old 02-28-2009, 12:38 PM
Member
 
raleigh29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So my Samsung HLR-5668 started giving me this green shade exactly on one half of the screen. No matter what input I use, its always there. Anyone have any ideas on what could be wrong? I am out of warranty and want to know if its fixable or not.

See below pics....



raleigh29 is offline  
post #2292 of 2307 Old 02-28-2009, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RaceTripper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 3,866
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleigh29 View Post

So my Samsung HLR-5668 started giving me this green shade exactly on one half of the screen. No matter what input I use, its always there. Anyone have any ideas on what could be wrong? I am out of warranty and want to know if its fixable or not.

See below pics....

It's probably fixable, but might not be cheap. I don't think this is a trivial fix. You're probably looking at a new board and/or light engine.
RaceTripper is offline  
post #2293 of 2307 Old 02-28-2009, 02:30 PM
Member
 
raleigh29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post

It's probably fixable, but might not be cheap. I don't think this is a trivial fix. You're probably looking at a new board and/or light engine.

Thanks for the reply. I am thinking some electronic board because its it exactly cut right down the middle of the TV. What board would I need?
raleigh29 is offline  
post #2294 of 2307 Old 04-15-2009, 01:22 PM
Member
 
faston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dengland View Post

On video with a bright white screen (or nearly all white) on either component input, I lose sync. When the scene changes and the white disappears the picture comes back. On scenes that have a signicant amount of white the video seems to "tear" or get jittery. I cannot say that has happened on any thing in 4:3 mode (Pillar bars being black). The problem is happening often enough to bother the crap out of me

Your post was from over a year ago but I am bumping it as I am having the exact same problem with my HLP-5085. Also, it was preceded by streaks across the screen when there are any white highlights in the image. If this was an old-style CRT, I would say it is the ballast or power supply. Would that same diagnosis apply on a DLP? Is there even a ballast in these things?

Thanks
faston is offline  
post #2295 of 2307 Old 05-03-2009, 08:58 AM
Newbie
 
sourlake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by menappi View Post

Ok so our TV has been experiencing some image problems lately. Model is a Samsung HLP6163 and the problem is that the picture randomly displays areas of intense red. It varies when this happens, comes and goes, but it's always red, almost looks like it's some sort of thermal vision effect (picture posted below). Was taken to a repair shop and they said the 'light engine' needed to be replaced, but if I'm not mistaken, the light engine is basically the entire tv. I'm wondering if it's something I can replace individually. The lamp was replaced recently and the color wheel doesn't make any weird noises and looks to be fine (not broken)..

Anybody have an idea?

I have a HP-R5052 that is doing the exact same thing. It is random, but has gotten worse to the point it is red more often than not. We had a local dealer (who is a Samsung certified repair shop) come out and examine it. They said it was either a cable or the "input board". They also said the part would be about 200-300 dollars. The problem is when they checked with Samsung they were told the part was no longer available. After three months of the repair manager checking various sites and telling us the part was and then was not available, we gave up and bought another TV. I will still keep trying to get the part for the HP-R5052, but in the meantime we are enjoying a Panasonic TC-P50G10.

I would be interested in other people's experience with Samsung. Are parts hard to get for 4 year old TV's? Seems kinda early to phase out parts. Especially if they are having a known problem.
sourlake is offline  
post #2296 of 2307 Old 05-03-2009, 09:07 AM
Member
 
dbaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Waldorf, MD
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So is it that the technology is changing so fast that manufacturer's are not keeping stock of older parts to support even tv's 5 years old?
dbaps is offline  
post #2297 of 2307 Old 05-13-2009, 01:14 PM
Member
 
Muddlin'Thru's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got my Sammy back in July 2004; looks like the lamp is finally going. Set turns itself off and I get the three blinking lights. Funny thing is, if I am patient, the problem resolves itself after 4-8 cycles of on-off-on. Anyway, I think the samsungparts site has the best price but the bulb I need is nationwide backorder, bummer! It is a bit confusing too since the casing they show for the part number I need is not the same casing I have now. My casing looks like the other casing, different lamp part number that they offer. I guess if I need to I can pull the lamp and change it, it doesn't look too hard. Anyone else done this?

Hmmmmmmmmmmm...

Now what'd I do wrong......
Muddlin'Thru is offline  
post #2298 of 2307 Old 05-13-2009, 02:49 PM
Member
 
TrnsplantBuckeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Richmond, Texas
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddlin'Thru View Post

Got my Sammy back in July 2004; looks like the lamp is finally going. Set turns itself off and I get the three blinking lights. Funny thing is, if I am patient, the problem resolves itself after 4-8 cycles of on-off-on. Anyway, I think the samsungparts site has the best price but the bulb I need is nationwide backorder, bummer! It is a bit confusing too since the casing they show for the part number I need is not the same casing I have now. My casing looks like the other casing, different lamp part number that they offer. I guess if I need to I can pull the lamp and change it, it doesn't look too hard. Anyone else done this?

It was on backorder 6-months ago also. I didn't need one but I thought, "what the heck" and ordered one. Arrived in 5-days. Sitting on the shelf until I need it.

Larry
TrnsplantBuckeye is offline  
post #2299 of 2307 Old 03-28-2011, 02:33 PM
Senior Member
 
elove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My samsung HLP 5063 has just started to show ghosting effects and shawdows and wavy lines in the TV. I replaced the bulb thinking that would solve the problem, but it didn't. Anyone have any thoughts! Do I need a new light engine or color wheel!

I brought the TV back in 2004. THe light engine was replaced in 2006.

Thanks
elove is offline  
post #2300 of 2307 Old 04-25-2011, 06:53 PM
Member
 
EvilYoda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Don't know if people are still reading this thread, buuuuut:

My parents have an HLR5067W and given what they told me about it, I purchased a new lamp. That said, when I actually saw the set in person (I replaced the lamp), the TV turns on, displays whatever input you're on, and then promptly (2-3 seconds) freezes and resets. I don't know if it's better or worse that the picture is seemingly fine (and it registers button presses before it freezes/resets) but it seems like the controller/processor has an issue.

Has anybody heard of an issue like this before? I gave them a 32" LCD to use in the meantime but that's not a long-term solution. I'd like to know whether this thing is useless or repairable. I'll try giving Samsung's CS a call tomorrow.

Thanks!
EvilYoda is online now  
post #2301 of 2307 Old 06-27-2011, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member
 
crossbeaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 954
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I don't know if anyone is still watching this thread, but I thought I'd try.

My HLP5663, now on its second bulb, has started to have a kind of whirring noise occur when I shut it off. Sounds sort of like a very quiet fan hitting on something, winding down to a stop. Anyone else experience this or know what might be happening? Could it be an excuse to finally get a 1080P set?
crossbeaux is offline  
post #2302 of 2307 Old 09-16-2011, 11:08 AM
Newbie
 
sed777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
sounds like color wheel death
sed777 is offline  
post #2303 of 2307 Old 09-16-2011, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member
 
crossbeaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 954
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sed777 View Post

sounds like color wheel death

You are correct. It was a bad color wheel. Pieces had chipped off the edge. I had never seen the actual color wheel before, so I watched the tech swap it out. Looks sort of like a mini-CD. It took him only a few minutes to do the exchange. I think I could have done it myself with an instruction sheet, but the place I called wouldn't sell me the parts. They insisted a tech had to install.
crossbeaux is offline  
post #2304 of 2307 Old 09-16-2011, 12:00 PM
Member
 
slikkrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How much was it-including "tech" to install. My color wheel and lamp are shot, and i've just been planning/researching new tvs, thinking it was cheaper to junk? Thanks.
slikkrock is offline  
post #2305 of 2307 Old 09-16-2011, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
crossbeaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 954
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by slikkrock View Post

How much was it-including "tech" to install. My color wheel and lamp are shot, and i've just been planning/researching new tvs, thinking it was cheaper to junk? Thanks.

It was about $300 (parts and labor) for the tech to come out and install the new wheel. I've replaced the lamp too. It's easy to do yourself, and you don't need to buy the entire lamp assembly, just the lamp itself, which is cheaper. Just don't touch the lamp without wearing gloves.
crossbeaux is offline  
post #2306 of 2307 Old 12-05-2011, 05:08 PM
Newbie
 
projazz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Samsung HL-P5663W TV. I recently sent my L3 Optical chassis away to have new DMD board installed and I'm having some problems after re-installing chassis. The picture in too far left and too far down on screen and cannot be adjusted by using service menu. I have been told that picture can be adjusted by moving screws on light engine. I assume they mean the DMD board. When looking at optical chassis from back of set you see the optical chassis mounted on right side. There is a flat steel cage about 4" wide and 6" high and 1" thick with a heat sink and fan mounted in center. I think this is the DMD board but I'm not sure. The fan is not actually mounted on the board but is about 1/4" away from the board and mounted on the base. In the center of the cage behind fan are 4 holes containing 4 spring loaded screws. There are also holes in the steel casing on each corner containing screws. These screws don't appear to be spring loaded.

My question is, which set of screws on board are used to adjust picture the corner screws or the spring loaded center screws? Hope somebody has answer I have been searching everywhere for days on the net.

Thanks!
projazz is offline  
post #2307 of 2307 Old 03-27-2012, 07:14 AM
Senior Member
 
rayliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: La Mirada, CA, USA
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My Samsung HLP4663W - somtimes the picture and sound quit. I unplugged it, and plugged it back it back in, and eventually the 3 lights on the front button blink. I had it unplugged for a few hours, and same thing. A few hours later, I plugged it back in, it is fine for a few days, then it goes out again. Lamp is 1 month old, color wheel just over a year old.
rayliner is offline  
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off