General Samsung HLP Issues & Questions (Post all here) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2307 Old 06-11-2004, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Since the first batch of people have now had their new Sammy HLPs for several days now, I'm curious to hear if anyone has tried their set with a computer input and HTPC? I've been reading all the HLP threads for the past couple of weeks and haven't seen anything yet (or maybe I just missed it?). Is so could you please post your experience, differences with the HLN sets, any odd artifacts, etc.

Anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2307 Old 06-12-2004, 12:51 AM

Hi, I am a significantly hearing impaired person and rely on subtitles and captions to "hear" a movie. The HLN models didn't allow TV closed captioning on anything but antanae and video1-3. Does anyone know if the HLP models, any of them, will support close captioning on DVI or Component inputs. Any answers are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
KingKroz201
post #3 of 2307 Old 06-12-2004, 05:28 AM
Advanced Member

Here's a link to the manual, perhaps that will help....
http://samsung.com/Support/ProductSu...=UM&language=#
post #4 of 2307 Old 06-12-2004, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

The devices that I know of that produce component/DVI signals (DVD players etc.) all generate their own closed captions. Now I certainlly don't know about all devices, but you might not be out of luck depending upon what you are using.

One thing that does bother me is that the Samsungs (at least my model M) can't produce captions when viewing in Zoom modes A really bummer when watching letterbox laserdiscs.
post #5 of 2307 Old 06-12-2004, 06:47 AM

Well guys, I have a mixed report on my new HLP5063W from TVA.

For the first hour, the picture was great! Even SD looked better than the HLN's. The scenes had better depth, I assume due to better blacks and contrast. I was one happy camper for the first hour.

Then....

I started seeing dancing red dots all over the screen. On SD was not bad, but I still saw them.

However, on HD stations it is horrible. completely unwatchable. The complete hair on people were nothing but dancing red dots and their eyes looked possessed because their we glowing red.

It did not matter which connection I used. I even connected the cable from the wall directly to the TV and still had dancing red dots.

This was my greatest fear from an internet purchase. I can't just go down to my local store and exchange it.

So, I will call TVA this morning and see what they have to say and call Samsung as well.

Maybe, I have just have a bad one.

But, the PQ was amazing before it became possessed.
post #6 of 2307 Old 06-12-2004, 07:20 AM

You did not give your exact source, I would try a DVD before calling anyone.
Hope things work out for you.

"If you cannot see or hear the difference, then there is none"
post #7 of 2307 Old 06-12-2004, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Sincere and heartfelt condolences. On behalf of all the PB brethren, we hope your problem is a rarity and has a simple solution. Please post with any info you get from TVA and/or Samsung.
post #8 of 2307 Old 06-12-2004, 08:06 AM

Salmoneous, for the most part you are right, however there are some older DVDs, like 1/2 of the James Bond series, that don't have them on disc and I have to rely on the TV for them. I guess I may be SOL in that regard =)
post #9 of 2307 Old 06-12-2004, 08:29 AM

Kid somewhere with a laser pointer messing with you?
post #10 of 2307 Old 06-12-2004, 09:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:

Originally posted by genietime
...I'm curious to hear if anyone has tried their set with a computer input and HTPC?

That will take a while unless we get lucky.

Calibration Resources:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 2307 Old 06-12-2004, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Lets see if putting all the Sammy HLPxxxx issues together will help people and keep us from having 10 different threads.

Quick Reference of Forum Rules
1) Do Not post pricing you found on-line or at a local dealer UNLESS IN A DEALS THREAD.
2) Do Not ask for, or offer, a receipt so people can price match.
3) Do Not say to "Call John Smith at ..." (you know what I mean)
4) Do Not put down someone else's choice in...

post #12 of 2307 Old 06-12-2004, 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by TexasAggie
Well guys, I have a mixed report on my new HLP5063W from TVA.

For the first hour, the picture was great! Even SD looked better than the HLN's. The scenes had better depth, I assume due to better blacks and contrast. I was one happy camper for the first hour.

Then....

I started seeing dancing red dots all over the screen. On SD was not bad, but I still saw them.

However, on HD stations it is horrible. completely unwatchable. The complete hair on people were nothing but dancing red dots and their eyes looked possessed because their were glowing red.

It did not matter which connection I used. I even connected the cable from the wall directly to the TV and still had dancing red dots.

This was my greatest fear from an internet purchase. I can't just go down to my local store and exchange it.

So, I will call TVA this morning and see what they have to say and call Samsung as well.

Maybe, I have just have a bad one.

But, the PQ was amazing before it became possessed.

An update on my dancing dots.

I think the cooling fan was bad from the beginning and it got too hot and fried something. On the circular information center, the "Standby/Temp" light stays lit even after the TV has been off for hours. I never heard the fan run even after I turned it off.

As far as service, both Samsung and TVA have been great!

Samsung said that they would contact me Monday to schedule an appointment for Tuesday.

TVA was even better. They said that even if Samsung repairs it that TVA would ship the first one from the next batch to me to replace this bad one.
I hope this does not make anyone mad that is waiting for one.

As I stated above, this was my greatest fear, but TVA seems to really have made an effort to make me happy.

I will post what the service tech says when he comes out. I am also planning on talking directly to Neil on Monday and will post his comments too.
post #13 of 2307 Old 06-12-2004, 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by kingkroz201
Hi, I am a significantly hearing impaired person and rely on subtitles and captions to "hear" a movie. The HLN models didn't allow TV closed captioning on anything but antanae and video1-3. Does anyone know if the HLP models, any of them, will support close captioning on DVI or Component inputs. Any answers are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
KingKroz201

Unfortunately, the CC still does work in HD component, DVI or HDMI.

If you have a cable box, you can turn it on there or when you watch DVD's you can turn on the sub-titles.
post #14 of 2307 Old 06-12-2004, 12:08 PM

The only problem with that TexasAggie is that not all DVDs have them. For instance only one of the first nine James Bond movies actually has English subtitles. Thanks alot MGM!! Anyways, thanks for the answer. I guess the Sammys are out for me until that oversight is corrected.
post #15 of 2307 Old 06-12-2004, 12:25 PM

Okay, well since this thread is supposed to be the master thread for the HLP...

Once I finally hooked up all of my components to my TV, I started messing around with my Xbox and 2 PS2s... however, on the PS2s I noticed a significant amount of video lag (ie, video lagging behind audio) which did not appear when I used the Xbox. I believe it's the TV, since after I saw that problem, I connected my PS2 directly to the TV (bypassing the video connections on the receiver and System Selector) and noticed the same problem. I'm led to believe that this is a result of picture processing problems with an SD signal, and upconverting it to the TV's native resolution of 720P. Because the XBox already outputs an HD signal, I did not notice any lag (or at least, I think that's the reason.) Can anyone else who has an HLP confirm this problem passing an SD signal to the TV? I've already set up an exchange for my TV (new one coming on Tuesday) so hopefully that will fix it... but I called Samsung and they told me that if it doesn't, they might send someone out to fiddle with it or something.
post #16 of 2307 Old 06-12-2004, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Tell you the truth, if my DLP arrives and the only thing that lags is the PS2 or XBox, I'll be very happy. Tivo, OTA, and some DVDs lagged bigtime, so hopefully this won't be a problem.
post #17 of 2307 Old 06-12-2004, 01:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Out of the box, the image on any new display can run the gamut from absolute garbage to absolute perfection. Maybe you got a set put together by a hung-over line worker who didn't bother to adjust anything, or a set that was pulled off the line by a quality control person who had it calibrated by factory engineers, just to check out how they looked.

Immediately sending a set back because you don't like the OOB (Out Of the Box) picture can be wasteful, time consuming, and frustrating. Of course, if it is obviously "broke", that's a different story, but not what I'm referring to here. You would be surprised at what one can accomplish with a Digital Video Essentials disk and a little bit of time. I stress that I am not talking about Service Menu tweaks here. Just your initial set up.

No matter how bad the picture looks OOB, unless the set is damaged, the DVE disk should give you a very watchable image. It may still need some work (ISF calibration?) to set the gray scale, etcetera, but at least you won't suffer days or weeks of frustration waiting for a set to be picked up, returned, and exchanged, when there was really no need for all that in the first place!

All things being equal, I'm sure that most of us (except for the inveterate tweakers among us) would like to unpack the set, plug it in, turn it on, and immediately have a perfect image with perfect color rendition. However, a little time on this forum tells us all that such is rarely the case.

In conclusion (finally?), instead of dropping ~$3,000+ on a new micro-display, drop ~$3,025+ and add an Avia or DVE disk to your purchase. Disk calibration on initial set up is not a bad idea any way. (Repeat, if necessary, after the bulb has had some time to "settle in".) All the better to make sure that the set is really "broke", before we go sending it back! You know the old saying.....!

As you grease, so shall you slide.
post #18 of 2307 Old 06-12-2004, 07:43 PM

I'm on my third HLP5063 set because of smudges on the left and right sides of the screen that look like this:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...152&fullpage=1

My third one has the same problem and am currently trying to get in touch with a supervisor at samsung about sending me one from a different plant than my Best Buy has that is in my area. The smudges are only viewable in light scenes and colors.
post #19 of 2307 Old 06-13-2004, 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by genietime
Anybody try their new HLP with PC/HTPC yet?

I brought my notebook to Circuit City in Portland yesterday to hookup to their 50" HLP (only place in Portland that had one on display I could find). I only have a VGA jack and cheap cable, but the results were awesome. From 10 feet or so text was very readable in both Widescreen PC and 4:3 modes. It was as good as I had hoped. I'm a programmer and am reasonably confident at this point that I'll be comfortable coding on this beauty. The display unit was all they had at the store, but they did have one at their gateway store and it was delivered last night (it was near closing and this was very cool, this Circuit City store treated me great). I need to get a longer cable, but in the next few days I should have time to play and a better feel and would be happy to answer questions.
post #20 of 2307 Old 06-13-2004, 03:56 AM

Quote:

As far as service, both Samsung and TVA have been great!

Quote:

Samsung said that they would contact me Monday to schedule an appointment for Tuesday.

This is why I'm going with Samsung even though other manufacturers are coming out with their DLPs.
post #21 of 2307 Old 06-13-2004, 04:05 AM

Quote:

Lets see if putting all the Sammy HLPxxxx issues together will help people and keep us from having 10 different threads.

I know I'm relatively new here, but perhaps one thread about all problems about the HLPs would be a little unwieldy? So far I guess there are about 3 or 4 different things being discussed at once, and I'm sooo easily confused!
post #22 of 2307 Old 06-13-2004, 08:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Originally posted by Allez
So far I guess there are about 3 or 4 different things being discussed at once, and I'm sooo easily confused!

How would you deal with one subject being discussed in an endless number of threads?

Calibration Resources:

post #23 of 2307 Old 06-13-2004, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by royal
I brought my notebook to Circuit City in Portland yesterday to hookup to their 50" HLP (only place in Portland that had one on display I could find). I only have a VGA jack and cheap cable, but the results were awesome. From 10 feet or so text was very readable in both Widescreen PC and 4:3 modes. It was as good as I had hoped.

This is encouraging. I've been wondering how Samsung's new 2 pixels foe every mirror trick would effect PC usability. Can't wait to hear when someone gets a chance to try DVI and fire up some test patterns.
post #24 of 2307 Old 06-13-2004, 09:31 AM

Quote:

How would you deal with one subject being discussed in an endless number of threads?

Like usual:
post #25 of 2307 Old 06-13-2004, 10:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Originally posted by Allez
Like usual:

Me too.

Calibration Resources:

post #26 of 2307 Old 06-13-2004, 10:57 AM
TWD
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
ANyone check for internal reflections yet?

TWD
post #27 of 2307 Old 06-13-2004, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Seems to be way too many issues with these sets for only one thread to cover them all.
post #28 of 2307 Old 06-13-2004, 12:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

At least some of those issues have already become false alarms.

Calibration Resources:

post #29 of 2307 Old 06-14-2004, 09:14 AM

TexasAggie: I just bought the 50" hlp at CC last week. I'm bringing it back because it intermittently replaces the picture with a black & white grid pattern. Since online prices are much cheaper, I'm considering ordering online instead of getting a replacement at CC, but had the same concern you did about online orders. How did your experience turn out?
post #30 of 2307 Old 06-14-2004, 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Xzerion
I'm on my third HLP5063 set because of smudges on the left and right sides of the screen that look like this:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...152&fullpage=1

My third one has the same problem and am currently trying to get in touch with a supervisor at samsung about sending me one from a different plant than my Best Buy has that is in my area. The smudges are only viewable in light scenes and colors.

I just got my 50" HLP from Sound Track in Denver and also have very obvious smudges on both sides of the screen. After several hours they eventually went away. I will wait a while to see if they continue to reappear and how long it takes for them to go away each time. My question is whether or not it is worth exchanging the set or is this something that will most likely be on all the units (i.e. Xzerion's case). Are most people just living with this or are there units out there that do not have this issue? I think I can live with it since it seems like you can only see it in a small percentage of scenes that are being displayed. By the way Sound Track in Denver matched the PB price!
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page