post #391 of 2828 Old 08-03-2004, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by ZenbioCitation
I have seen the color wheel for the Mits WD-52725 I admit it looks pretty cool It has the two red and green right next to each other with a small light gray section about15% of the wheel. The best price I found was $2940.00 for the 52in. $3528.00 for the 62in. However that is just about cost. So expect a nice mark up!

I would buy one if they were that cheap.

Samsung D7000 65"
Onkyo 905
BIH F12
6x Energy RC-10
WMC ceton4 DVR/Media PC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 2828 Old 08-03-2004, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:

Originally posted by Auditor55
So what is it going to be Mits, D-ILA or Cpt. Kirk? I know that person Umr ripped the D-ILA apart, I actually thought he was to harsh because all of these digital sets have flaws, including his beloved GWIII.

As far as rainbows go, you may not see them initially but you could later on, especially if you are the type that look for flaws with your set so that you can have a reason to return and get something else. If you are member of the AVS forum you are probably like that.

I see shimmering sometimes on my Mits, but not too often. I see noise on every type display out there, including CRT's and Plasma.

Damn, don't tell me about the rainbows thing. The place that I would buy it from does has a no return policy, as a matter of fact most of the places have a no return policy except for BB and CC which are not getting this set for at least several weeks.

Right now it's between the Mit and Kirk. I like the Mit, but wow it's expensive. I can get the Kirk 5085 a cheaper(It's a Samsung). Deep down in my heart I believe the Mitsu is a better set, but the Kirk is different and I like different.

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Sharp Elite 70X5FD
Oppo BDP-103D
Pioneer Elite SC-07, SC-05 Receivers
Martin Logan Ascents
Rotel RMB 985MKII
NHT VT-2.4 Surround System
Velodyne DD-18 Pair
post #393 of 2828 Old 08-03-2004, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Orlun
I'm about to pull the trigger and get a 52525. My local UE is offering 10% off which helps. My only concern is about getting an extended warrenty. To you people who have already bought the Mit, what kind of warrenty did you buy with it?

Hi...I haven't had any direct experience with the UE Performance Guarantee, but when I spoke with someone there the other day it sounded attractive, if you want extended coverage. From what I understand, their warranty includes one maintenance visit (mirror cleaning, etc.--not to be confused with a re-calibration), and if you don't have to call anyone out for the term of the contract (not counting the maintenance visit-you still get that), they will give you 1/2 the price you paid for the PG back in store credit. Plus, they say that the guarantee is that it will still perform to your satisfaction...that coverage doesn't end where the manufacturer's warranty does. All in all, it sounds pretty good, I have to admit. And I am not real big on extended warranties and the like....it would be great to hear from someone that has actually had one, though....

Randy

Randy
post #394 of 2828 Old 08-03-2004, 10:14 AM

Liked: 10
I seem to be in the same place as a lot of folks deciding between the Samsung, Mits etc.. Went in to the local Magnolia ( the high end BB ) to see the Mits and they also had the Kirk there. They use a Direct TV feed.The MIts was alot darker and did not have the contrast of the Kirk. The salesman told me they were very dissappointed in the Mits. They had the rep from Mits and a tech come out to improve the picture but to no avail. He also said the Mits does not have the HD2+ chip. It is a HD2 chip. He also said there are two versions of the HD2 chip and the Mits has the larger version whatever that means.This was told to him by the rep. Do we know for sure the Mits has the HD2+? I expected the two sets to look very similar.

Richard
post #395 of 2828 Old 08-03-2004, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Richard,
Did Magnolia carry the Toshiba DLP's? I've seen a lot of comaparisons on this board between the two. I've seen the Mits, but nobody has the Toshiba yet where I live. A road trip to Sacramento (Magnolia) will be in order if they carry both the Toshiba and Mits.
post #396 of 2828 Old 08-03-2004, 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by David Scott
Richard,
Did Magnolia carry the Toshiba DLP's? I've seen a lot of comaparisons on this board between the two. I've seen the Mits, but nobody has the Toshiba yet where I live. A road trip to Sacramento (Magnolia) will be in order if they carry both the Toshiba and Mits.

Magnolia won't be carrying the Toshiba DLP's...
2 places that will have them is BestBuy and Video Only.
Video Only is selling it to me the 62HMX84 for $3600 + $250 for 4year extended warrantee and it covers the bulb..
Calif. Video only stores...:
California Stores

San Francisco
1199 Van Ness Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94109
(415) 563-5200
FAX 563-1837

San Mateo
1801 South Grant Street, San Mateo, CA 94402
(650) 578-1212
FAX 578-1217

Hayward
24040 Hesperian Boulevard, Hayward, CA 94545
(510) 785-1470
FAX 785-5856

Dublin
6920 Amador Plaza Road, Dublin, CA 94568
(925) 829-2900
FAX 829-1156
post #397 of 2828 Old 08-03-2004, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:

Originally posted by Richard Ulery
I seem to be in the same place as a lot of folks deciding between the Samsung, Mits etc.. Went in to the local Magnolia ( the high end BB ) to see the Mits and they also had the Kirk there. They use a Direct TV feed.The MIts was alot darker and did not have the contrast of the Kirk. The salesman told me they were very dissappointed in the Mits. They had the rep from Mits and a tech come out to improve the picture but to no avail. He also said the Mits does not have the HD2+ chip. It is a HD2 chip. He also said there are two versions of the HD2 chip and the Mits has the larger version whatever that means.This was told to him by the rep. Do we know for sure the Mits has the HD2+? I expected the two sets to look very similar.

Richard

Wow, they must have gotten a bad set. The Mitsu generally has the most clear, lifelike picture of all the DLP's I have seen, with the Kirk and Toshiba not too far behind. It does have the HD2+ chip in it.

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Sharp Elite 70X5FD
Oppo BDP-103D
Pioneer Elite SC-07, SC-05 Receivers
Martin Logan Ascents
Rotel RMB 985MKII
NHT VT-2.4 Surround System
Velodyne DD-18 Pair
post #398 of 2828 Old 08-03-2004, 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jleach8
Took the plunge and ordered the 62525 yesterday. Should have it in a couple of days. I'm going to see how the glare is and then maybe order the 725 screen. I got a pretty good deal at Tweeter. Anyone using a stand other than the matching base? They didn't have them in stock, so I need to get something else asap! thanks

I bought the IKEA Magiker TV Unit. It's 51 inches wide, not sure how wide the 62" tv is though.

Here's my 52 on it (sans Diamond Shield ):

post #399 of 2828 Old 08-03-2004, 01:06 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Richard Ulery
This was told to him by the rep. Do we know for sure the Mits has the HD2+? I expected the two sets to look very similar.

Richard

Don't listen to your that sales rep, he probably wanted you to purchase something else, maybe 8k Plasma. Anyway, the Mits does have the HD2+ chip and 7 segment color wheel. Take a look at Reynard's pic, does his Mits look too dark to you?. When I saw the Mits next to the Cpt. Kirk at Magnolia, I thought they looked very similiar. If you want to know something about display's, what you read here in the AVS forum is more times than not more credible than what them sales persons are telling you.

If you want real bright display, take a look at the D-ILA. In my opinion, there isn't any real differences in brightness between the Mits and Cpt. Kirks.
post #400 of 2828 Old 08-03-2004, 01:12 PM

As mentioned, Magnolia does not carry the Tosh but BB has it. Unfortuneately, they have it sitting high so you really can't tell what it looks like. Looked at the new Pany at GG and it looked very pixelated. The plasmas around it with the same feed looked fine. In the same area was the Philips lcos and it also was pixelated like the Pany but not as bad.

Richard
post #401 of 2828 Old 08-03-2004, 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SRFast
towards an OTA HD broadcast tower and not getting HD broadcasts, you need to "program" the ANT1/ANT2 tuners. The programming process scans all the channels (analog & digital) and memorizzes them. Refer to the owner's manual for the details. You will get a blue screen until this process is completed.

Hope this helps...JL

I don't mean to offend, but I'm not an idiot. Of course I read the manual and did the "Memorize Channels" on both Ant-1 and Ant-2 with the antenna connected to each one consecutively. Neither one will pull in a digital picture or audio, but it will pull in the XDS information from them AND picture-perfect analog stations just fine. I didn't say it was displaying a blue picture when manually tuning in a digital station, I said it was a solid gray picture with no audio.

FYI, I have been to Antennaweb.org and they indicate I am only 13 miles from the DTV towers and I only need the smallest antenna possible, without even a pre-amp. Here I am using a high-quality, amplified antenna, pointed in the correct direction, and I still get squat.

On another subject, I picked up a CableCARD from TWC here in Houston yesterday, gave them a call with the appropriate number strings to activate it last night, but they couldn't get it working. I haven't checked yet to see if they got it working during the day today, but it sounds like this may be a more difficult process than was desired by the FCC. Anyone else gotten CableCARD to work on these sets?
post #402 of 2828 Old 08-03-2004, 04:32 PM

I will have mine on Friday and I will post.

Anyone using a SA Tivo with these TVs?
post #403 of 2828 Old 08-03-2004, 05:03 PM

Interesting you mentioned the Mits was not very bright. I have looked at 5 or 6 different Mits dlp setups now and most of the time i considcered the set to have excellent color and good brightness at factory default settings but there were two sets that did seem to be very dark even with the contrast boosted. Is there some auto control that would override the contrast settings?
post #404 of 2828 Old 08-03-2004, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by rtmoore4
...Here I am using a high-quality, amplified antenna, pointed in the correct direction, and I still get squat.

There have been people whose experience with other ATSC tuners is that when the digital signal is too strong, it actually overdrives the receiver, impeding reception/decoding. You say you are 13 miles away and have a hi quality antenna and an amp. This may be too much. Just for grins, see if you have some old rabbit ears or an inside antenna that you can hook up and try. I did this with my tuner, I am 41 miles away from the Chicago stations, and I got about 4 of them in with no problem. In the end you may need to ditch the amp.
post #405 of 2828 Old 08-03-2004, 05:41 PM

rtmoore4: Sorry I upset you. Just wanted to pass along some information.

I ordered a CableCARD from TWCNYC and they said it required a tech visit. The tech is scheduled for Thursday and will post my experience after he leaves. I already have the SA8000 DTV DVR and will be keeping it because I want to record programs. I will have CableCARD on ANT1, roof antenna on ANT2 and the SA8000 on INPUT1.

Regards....JL
post #406 of 2828 Old 08-03-2004, 09:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 173
I was all ready to sell my 10 month old GWIII and buy the Mits DLP. That is, until I saw one.

It was displayed next to a GWIII. Although the picture between both sets were different in terms of color (which could more than likely be adjusted out) what I found objectionable was with any kind of camera movement, the Mits shows some kind of blockiness (sorry for the lack of the correct technical term). It was like it couldn't keep up repainting the screen, whereas the Sony could. Sports could be a real problem for the Mits. I could not tell a significant difference in black levels between the two sets as they weren't displayed in low ambiant lighting.

I'm a big fan of Mitsubishi and was looking forward to making the switch back. Maybe their next generation will do better.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #407 of 2828 Old 08-03-2004, 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SRFast
rtmoore4: Sorry I upset you. Just wanted to pass along some information.

I ordered a CableCARD from TWCNYC and they said it required a tech visit. The tech is scheduled for Thursday and will post my experience after he leaves. I already have the SA8000 DTV DVR and will be keeping it because I want to record programs. I will have CableCARD on ANT1, roof antenna on ANT2 and the SA8000 on INPUT1.

Regards....JL

SRFast: You didn't upset me. I was just hoping for some more useful information than what was in the manual.

Well, I figured out two things tonight:

One: The TV had to be hard reset (tiny push-button on the front) in order to complete CableCARD initialization. I never would have found this out had I not been on the "Memorize Channels" screen for DTV tuning and the TV "locked up". It wouldn't do anything. After about 5 minutes of hitting every button I could think of, I finally hit the reset button. When the TV came back up, it displayed a message like, "CableCARD initialization complete."

Two: Once this happened, OTA HDTV channels just started working. I can't explain it.

hefe: You are absolutely right, if the amp is being used, the picture drops immediately. I tried both options before and it wouldn't work at all. After the hard reset and continuing to play with it, I discovered the amp caused the analog picture to go to cr@p and the digital channels to drop. I guess it is too strong or something.

It looks like the hard reset was ultimately the trick. Not very comforting, but there it is.

Oh yeah, and TWC-Houston still can't get my CableCARD enabled in their system. They promised (again) that it would be done tonight. Two days and counting...

They did let me pick it up from the retail store and install it myself, which was nice. That saved me a truck roll fee. It might have been worth the fee, though, with all the headache it has been to try and get this done.
post #408 of 2828 Old 08-04-2004, 06:52 AM

Well, last night I pulled the trigger and hauled a Mits 52525 home. It was pretty late so I didn't get much of a chance to give it a workout but I do have a few impressions.

First was that in my basement family room with the lower light levels I had no screen reflection issues so the protection screen will stay on just fine.

Second, I was surprised at how good many of my standard cable channels looked. A few looked like crap of course but quite a few were as good or better then the 32" crt it replaced. I can't wait to get my HD set up.

Third, I hooked up my old cheapy non-progressive DVD player and found it was amazingly better then I hoped. Now, I am in no hurry to get a progressive DVD upgrade which will give them time to lower the price and work out the kinks on the newer models. Maybe even stretch the wait out till HD-DVD

--

On the negative side...

Only negative was fan noise. I could really notice it when the room was quiet and nothing was playing on the TV. During playback, you cant tell though. I did a bit of expermenting and I think the majority of the fan noise problem I have is due to the built in enclose I made when I finished my basement years ago. It is basically a sheetrock wall niche about 7 feet wide by 3' deep and the problem comes from the fact that the sides are sheetrock and are angled to face the view at 45 degrees. These hard walls are perfect for bouncing the fan sounds from the rear of the TV towards the viewer. I placed a throw pillow on each side about 8 inces away from the TV and the sounds dropped drastically. I think if I come up with some sort of wall treatment for my angled walls it would keep the sound from bouncing. Till then, the pillows can lay back their as they are behind my home theater speakers anyway.

So far, I dont think I have seen a rainbow. In fact, I stop myself from looking because I have heard that once you go rainbow, you never go back!

So far, I am happy with the Mits.

By the way, UE gave me 10 percent off list and I added a three year extended warrenty. They will also match any lower prices in the area for 60 days.
post #409 of 2828 Old 08-04-2004, 07:02 AM

That's the way to do it Orlun. Once you go looking for flaws, you'll find them, and you'll regret it the rest of the way
post #410 of 2828 Old 08-04-2004, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JimP
Sports could be a real problem for the Mits. I could not tell a significant difference in black levels between the two sets as they weren't displayed in low ambiant lighting.

I'm a big fan of Mitsubishi and was looking forward to making the switch back. Maybe their next generation will do better.

I can tell you right now and emphatically so, sports on the Mits DLP is its unquestionable strong point!! I was watching a rebroadcast of a college football game in HD the picture quality was amazing. I can also tell you that the Mits is superior to any LCD in black level performance, still can't beat CRT, but better than the GWlll in that department.

The only thing out there that I would purchase over the Mits DLP is a Mits CRT. Because I see rainbows and I think CRT's handle blacks better.
post #411 of 2828 Old 08-04-2004, 08:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Auditor55

You missed my point. The part of my post that your quote left out is what I said about how the set handles motion. That's the part that is relevant to sports.

Sorry you see rainbows. I see the perfect TV, but its only in my mind. ;-)

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #412 of 2828 Old 08-04-2004, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Any lip-sync issues or video lag with the new mits anyone?
post #413 of 2828 Old 08-04-2004, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Auditor55

You missed my point. The part of my post that your quote left out is what I said about how the set handles motion. That's the part that is relevant to sports.

Sorry you see rainbows. I see the perfect TV, but its only in my mind. ;-)

I know I left that out because I have been asked by the moderator to pair down my quotes. Anyway, the proof is in the pudding. I have seen sports on my Mits and it handles them well, no motion blur like you get with LCD RPTV's. The Mits may have some other issues, but as far as I can see, displaying HD sports isn't one of them. Just ask others how own the Mits DLP if they are having any motion problems with sports.
post #414 of 2828 Old 08-04-2004, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Any better release dates available for the 52725?
post #415 of 2828 Old 08-04-2004, 02:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Or the 62725?
post #416 of 2828 Old 08-04-2004, 02:34 PM

Or any of the Diamond Series?

\¯\/¯/ |¯|)¯) /¯/\¯\ \¯\/¯/
GAMERTAG = Coitus Maximus
/_/\_\ |_|)_) \_\/_/ /_/\_\
post #417 of 2828 Old 08-04-2004, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jleach8
I just called Mitsubishi parts department, and the person I talked to said the anti-reflective screen (model 760D652020) should work no problem on the 525 series.

When I talked to the Mitsubishi parts, I was forwarded to Mitsubishi Customer Relations (949) 830-8364.

Customers Relations advised that there MAY be "other factors" involved when attempting to substitute the shield from one model to another.

I have a 725 on pre-order, and will be getting it ISF calibrated.

So, my questions are:

1) If I were to change the 725 shield out for the 825 shield, will it still be possible to ISF calibrate properly ??

2) Has anyone talked to Mitsubishi Engineering regarding this? I'm certain the parts department is not qualified to know, and probably not Customer Relations either.

Rick
post #418 of 2828 Old 08-04-2004, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Zues
Any lip-sync issues or video lag with the new mits anyone?

My wife caught a very slight lip-synch lag issue watching Navy NCIS off of TiVo last night. I haven't seen it in anything else, so it may just have been a source issue. I'm really watching for that, as it would really affect my enjoyment of this set.
post #419 of 2828 Old 08-04-2004, 03:54 PM

Quote:
I was all ready to sell my 10 month old GWIII and buy the Mits DLP. That is, until I saw one.

It was displayed next to a GWIII. Although the picture between both sets were different in terms of color (which could more than likely be adjusted out) what I found objectionable was with any kind of camera movement, the Mits shows some kind of blockiness (sorry for the lack of the correct technical term). It was like it couldn't keep up repainting the screen, whereas the Sony could. Sports could be a real problem for the Mits. I could not tell a significant difference in black levels between the two sets as they weren't displayed in low ambiant lighting.

What is a GWIII?
post #420 of 2828 Old 08-04-2004, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tmsmith
What is a GWIII?

Sony Grand Wega 3 LCD RPTV.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List