Old 07-04-2004, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Auditor55
When it comes to features, no doubt the Mits kicks serious tail, but isn't picture quality the first criteria in picking a set? Those features the Mits offer are most desirable, particularly by me, but at what cost? My biggest concern with Sammy is not PQ, I have seen the HLP's and they really look good, but Sammy DLP's seem to be having some serious reliability problems, I hope its not the same with Mits.

I agree with you... PQ is paramount to the decision... To me the HD3 sets look great. If the PQ for these Mitsubshi sets is even marginally better, then I am going for them since the price difference between the two is in the noise given the extra features the Mitsubishi has... at least to me that is...

As for the lack of an additional DVI/HDMI, it would be nice, but it isn't a killer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2004, 12:22 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Reynard
Read my posts again if you want to understand why I made my decision. I think it's pretty clear. Your criteria of picture quality worth expressed in dollars doesn't work for me as I even said that none of these tvs looks $3000 better then my direct view.

The WD-52525 retails for $3799. The HLP5063 for $3499. Like I said, I got a very nice deal & if you factor in my wanting to buy from a local dealer as opposed to mail order... there really were no price difference issues at all.

I read your post more than once as I'm trying to get as much out it as possible. I understand what you are saying and I probably would have made a similiar decision in your situation. I'm kind of favor Mits, but if the Mits doesn't blow away the Samsung with in HD3 chip, like I heard it should considering that it has the HD2+, I just would lean to purchasing the Samsung. BTW, through the Powerbuy the Samsung is like $2,800. that is $700.00 lower than retail price and a grand lower than the Mits.
Old 07-05-2004, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Are these Mits being displayed in the Chicagoland area yet?

Joe V.

Joe V.
Old 07-05-2004, 05:34 PM

Anyone seen the Mitsu's in NJ yet?!?
Old 07-05-2004, 07:25 PM

I think NJ may be like NY. PC Richard on LI will have them in the warehouse on July 17th (the 525s). I forget what he said about the 725s. When a 525 gets to one of their showrooms I don't know.
Old 07-05-2004, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Sat in front of the 52" HD2+ for another 40 minutes today. Strangely enough, they removed the DVD hookup, so I could only view HDTV and SD.

I'm pretty much ready to see the JVC now. For HDTV, this HD2+ set is going to be tough to beat. It really does have a 3-d depth and feel. I love it. I bet we hear great things from Reynard about the Xbox look too.

SD? Eh, I looked at SD today on the HLP as well. Let's face it, SD on a digital set just doesn't look too good - not on any of them. I don't hate the SD on the Mits as much after today.

But, I'm going to really test out the DVD feeds on this set and the JVC once they are out. DVD is the selling point for me, even though I watch a ton of HD NFL.
Old 07-05-2004, 11:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Try to get the store to hook one up to an upconverting DVD player over DVI/HDMI. Better leave your credit card at home though, or you'd never be able to play the waiting game.

I was trying to wait to see an HD2+ until I saw an HD2 and an HD3 playing LOTR at 720p over DVI. I caved and ordered a Sammy HLP. No regrets.

I do envy you the chance to see the Mits. Nobody here has one in stock.
Old 07-06-2004, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I know the Mits only have 1 HDMI and the Samsung has 2=1 HDMI and 1 DVI. My question is do you lose alot of PQ using the component setup.
I have a Dish HD 811 receiver with DVI and will be getting the Samsung 941 which has the HDMI. Any thoughts on the best setup for PQ.

You would think all these Manufacturers would include 2 digital inputs on the newer sets.

Joe V.

Joe V.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by jwv651
I know the Mits only have 1 HDMI and the Samsung has 2=1 HDMI and 1 DVI. My question is do you lose alot of PQ using the component setup.
I have a Dish HD 811 receiver with DVI and will be getting the Samsung 941 which has the HDMI. Any thoughts on the best setup for PQ.

You would think all these Manufacturers would include 2 digital inputs on the newer sets.

Joe V.

Technically the Mitsu. has 4 digital inputs - 1 HDMI and 3 firewire. Don't know anything about Dish receivers but I know my cable company (Time Warner) offers an HD STB with a firewire out - you have to specially request it though. I guess with Dish you own the equipment, right, so this may not be too helpful.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:10 AM

There are mixed reviews on this forum on the quality of DVI vs component. I believe the general consensus is that DVI is a little better due to the all digital stream.

DVI/HDMI will ensure you can view HDCP encoded programming in the future, but that's an entirely different discussion.

A company called Gefen is in the process of marketing an HDMI switcher with discrete IR control. This could be a workaround for Mits. DLP owners who have more than one digital source...

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=2208
Old 07-06-2004, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

I looked on the back of Dish 811 no firewire only component and DVI. So would I lose alot of PQ with the component setup? Would there be a noticeable difference.

Joe V.

Joe V.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkMSM
There are mixed reviews on this forum on the quality of DVI vs component. I believe the general consensus is that DVI is a little better due to the all digital stream.

DVI/HDMI will ensure you can view HDCP encoded programming in the future, but that's an entirely different discussion.

A company called Gefen is in the process of marketing an HDMI switcher with discrete IR control. This could be a workaround for Mits. DLP owners who have more than one digital source...

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=2208

Only problem with that is you can't calibrate the inputs independently. If you are going to hook an HD box and a DVD player up to the same HDMI input, you would likely want different settings - I'm assuming the Mitsu. saves the settings for each input like the Sammy does.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I looked on the back of Dish 811 no firewire only component and DVI. So would I lose alot of PQ with the component setup? Would there be a noticeable difference.

Joe V.

As MarkMSM mentioned, the results really vary. It depends on your equipment and also on which particular channel you are watching. I had two identical Pioneer 3510 STBs which I connected to my DLP side by side to do a true comparison - one channel at a time. I found that DVI looked better on more channels (NBC, CBS, ABC, Disovery) but Component still looked better on some (HBO and Showtime had more vibrant colors over component). Don't think you will be losing a LOT of PQ but like I said, I know nothing about your Dish 811 receiver - someone in the HDTV Hardware forum who has that receiver would probably offer better advice.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

EricScott,

Thanks!

Joe V.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Sure thing. Just make sure if you post in the HDTV Hardware forum that you make it clear that you have a 720p digital display. If you are using an analog display (CRT, etc), the differences would likely be even more minimal.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by QuentinH
Sat in front of the 52" HD2+ for another 40 minutes today. Strangely enough, they removed the DVD hookup, so I could only view HDTV and SD.

I'm pretty much ready to see the JVC now. For HDTV, this HD2+ set is going to be tough to beat. It really does have a 3-d depth and feel. I love it. I bet we hear great things from Reynard about the Xbox look too.

SD? Eh, I looked at SD today on the HLP as well. Let's face it, SD on a digital set just doesn't look too good - not on any of them. I don't hate the SD on the Mits as much after today.

But, I'm going to really test out the DVD feeds on this set and the JVC once they are out. DVD is the selling point for me, even though I watch a ton of HD NFL.

I seen the Mits DLP last night and will probably check it out some more. Like the HLP's these sets are darker with richer colors than the Samsung HLN's. I think that's going to be the trend with future DLP's, I don't think you will see the overly bright, overly sharp, fake looking DLP's due to greater contrast ratio with these new sets. I expect the Toshiba's, future Samsungs and Panasonics all to look similiar to the Mits and the current Samsung HLP's.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

So how would you rate the Mits to the HD3 Samsung with PQ.

Joe V.
Old 07-06-2004, 01:22 PM

Quote:
So how would you rate the Mits to the HD3 Samsung with PQ.

Like QuentinH mentioned, I found the Mits to be sharp with good blacks. Unfortunately they didn't have a HLP to compare it to. My first impression was that it didn't blow me or the Samsung away. Based on seeing the Samungs so many times, I think you would be hard pressed to notice any difference in black level performance between the sets. You might notice that the picture is sharper on the Mits, but I also noticed that the picture is a kind of grainy, could be the source , I don't know.

Basically I would lean towards the Mits, due to the features, not so much PQ. I think the HLP's have really good PQ, much better than those Las Vegas neon signs called DLP's that Samsung was trying push as TV sets with HLN line.
Old 07-06-2004, 10:35 PM
Advanced Member

I saw the 52 inch Mitsubishi DLP today at my local Good Guys. It was placed next to a Samsung DLP, not sure if it's a HLP or HLN. I got about 5 mins of direct comparison of the 2. Like the other person stated above that the Mitsubishis does seem alot more smoothness and natural image. And I didnt notice as much of the screen door on the Mitsu's as the Samsung's next to it. Not sure if anybody seen the RCA Scenium DLPs out there. The PQ of the Scenium is very similiar to the Mitsu's. There's alot more glare coming from the Mitsu's though in the store.
Overall, I'd like to have the Mitsu in a light controlled environment and the Samsung's in a brightly lit environment like inside the stores. The Mitsu's were priced around $4K there.
Old 07-07-2004, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

So is it confirmed that the MSRP of the Mitsubishi 525 is around $3800?
Old 07-07-2004, 08:51 AM

Does anyone know why the Mits DLP sets weigh so much more than the Sammys? I have a 61" HLP on order from the TVA power buy and already bought a Bush stand (model VS44150-03) which can support up to 154 lbs on the top glass shelf. The Samsung HLP6163W weighs 99.21 lbs according to the specs on the owners manual. The Mits brochure says the WD-62725 weighs 165.5 lbs, that seems like a huge difference. I know the Mits has the tuner and the cablecard slot, but a 65 lb difference? And they did save some weight by using cloth instead of plasic over the speakers!
I'm still hoping to see a Mits 62725 before my Sammy ships from TVA.

Eric
Old 07-07-2004, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by f16falcon
Does anyone know why the Mits DLP sets weigh so much more than the Sammys? I have a 61" HLP on order from the TVA power buy and already bought a Bush stand (model VS44150-03) which can support up to 154 lbs on the top glass shelf. The Samsung HLP6163W weighs 99.21 lbs according to the specs on the owners manual. The Mits brochure says the WD-62725 weighs 165.5 lbs, that seems like a huge difference. I know the Mits has the tuner and the cablecard slot, but a 65 lb difference? And they did save some weight by using cloth instead of plasic over the speakers!

I also have the HLP6163 on pre-order and would like to see the Mits wd-62725 before I commit to TVA. Sounds like they should be out in stores around the same time as the Sammy 61" if not I will go will the 6163 and be happy.

Joe V.

Joe V.
Old 07-07-2004, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Has anyone compared how dark scenes look on the Mitsubishi compared to the Samsung. If the HD2+ lives up to it's name, dark scene should be brighter and more detailed.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

anti-glare screen?
Old 07-07-2004, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Does anyone know why the Mits DLP sets weigh so much more than the Sammys?

Build quality? Ever compare a Denon DVD player to a Panasonic? I'll take overbuilt over underbuilt any day of the week.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc Alexander
Build quality? Ever compare a Denon DVD player to a Panasonic? I'll take overbuilt over underbuilt any day of the week.

The Mistu is deeper as well - more than 3 inches deeper than the 50" HLP.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:48 PM

The depth is not good news...each manufacturer is trying to squeeze out as much depth as possible. Why would Mitsu not be able to compete on this? Is it their proprietary light engine?
Old 07-07-2004, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Anybody know what a replacement light bulb goes for on these new sets the 52" and 62" and also how many hours are they rated for. Knowing Mitsubishi they won't be cheap $$$.

Joe V.

Joe V.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:34 PM

I just spent about 30 minutes comparing the HLP5063W and the 525 at the local GG. Unfortunately, they didn't have them side by side, so I had to walk about 30 ft. across the store to compare images. Both were being fed with the same 1080i source containing a Discovery HD promo feed (although both were also connected to an OTA antenna that I used to check out crappy analog feeds - I didn't try the ATSC tuner in the Mits).

Screen door was visible on the Mits, not on the Sammy (due to the HD3 in the HLP). Like others have mentioned, the Mits seemed grainy as compared to pretty much every other TV in the store. I was able to set the HLP up in Cinema mode and turn the sharpness all the way down to 0 (bad sharpness, go away!). On the Mits, I couldn't figure out how to do the same thing easily. After cruising through the menus for a couple seconds, it looked like I had the choice between full "auto" picture mode or super detailed, adjust 6 differenct color values, mode. Since I didn't want to go through a full calibration, I left it on auto. Overall, I think the Mits had an edge in detail and black levels (although less than I would have thought), and the Sammy just looked smoother. The real deal killer on the Mits was the screen. It was practically a mirror! Might as well advertise "bright, shiny screen." I'm sure the 725 series is much better in this regard, but I didn't want to wait that long or spend that much.

In the end, I was able to get a fairly good deal on the Sammy with 24 months financing, so that's what's getting delivered on Friday!

All comments are made on behalf of myself, and are not supported / endorsed by my employer.
Old 07-08-2004, 02:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally posted by yatra
The depth is not good news...each manufacturer is trying to squeeze out as much depth as possible. Why would Mitsu not be able to compete on this? Is it their proprietary light engine?

Perhaps the other manufacturers have gone too far in making it thinner. This might help avoid the color fringing or chromatic aberrations that some sets are having.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.