2004-05 Mitsubishi DLP'S! - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 2828 Old 07-13-2004, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Is your local Big Screen Store offering the same interest free financing on the DLP? There are two local to me and I was wondering if they would give the same offer on the latest models.

Sorry, I did not check about the financing. Honestly, 4K is outta my range. That is why I was asking about the PB. Its looking like 50" Sammy for me unless the toshibas/pannys surprise me. The RCA or LG just are not up to par yet.
Thanks for the replies!

"Revenge is a dish best served cold." KB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2828 Old 07-13-2004, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RyeMan1
WS-55813 or WD-52725-825?

I'm on the fence now, anyone have any idea witch one would be better quality? I'm a big DVD fan and I know DVD's would prob look better on a CRT but HD-DVD is just around the corner. I also do watch allot of HD. Price is no concern, if the sets were the same price what would you get?

The DLP will overall be brighter and sharper. Otherwise, the CRT will have a better picture overall. If you can control ambient light in your viewing area and don't mind keeping the CRTs aligned (manual convergence should be touched up every 90-180 days), the CRT is a much better buy. Professional calibration is recommended.
post #183 of 2828 Old 07-13-2004, 12:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Marc

Some would say that the brighter sharper picture was the better one.

In what way would you say that the CRT RPTVs (you were talking about rptvs?) are better.

Thanks

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #184 of 2828 Old 07-13-2004, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

(OT) The CRTs will also suffer from burn in and color changes over time -- (If you watch SD or letterboxing or use a PC you aggravate that burn in issue). On a DLP just replace a $200-$400 bulb in a DLP they are like new -- on a CRT you are looking at $1800 or more to change the three bulbs and have them realligned.
post #185 of 2828 Old 07-13-2004, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, I forgot to add that CRT are subject to burn-in with prolonged viewing of static images. CRTs benefit more from professional calibration and are not always very good OOTB.

CRTs still produce the the most consistent image over the entire IRE range once setup properly.

Let's please not turn this into a debate over projection technologies. Use the search to read past debates.
post #186 of 2828 Old 07-13-2004, 03:10 PM

Thanks for your responces. Any one have any idea of life of a DLP TV? I have seen two TV's, one Samsung and one Optoma, with one pixel out of commission at the store, any big probs with that?
post #187 of 2828 Old 07-13-2004, 03:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:

Originally posted by RyeMan1
Any one have any idea of life of a DLP TV?

It's "expected" to be long.

I have seen two TV's, one Samsung and one Optoma, with one pixel out of commission at the store, any big probs with that?

It doesn't seem to be a common problem and should be very rare that it happens after the chip is manufactured.

So far everyone in this forum who has reported having a dead mirror has also reported that Samsung replaced the light engine.

Because the apparent numbers of Optoma sets is so small there is no track record for them on dead mirrors.

post #188 of 2828 Old 07-14-2004, 07:52 AM

From what I can see the only difference between the 525, 725, and the 825 are the features. Picture quality should be the same with each. My only question is would spending the say $500 more for the 725 and the anti glare screen over the 525 be a good idea, or should I just take the Diamond Shield off the 525 and save the money?
post #189 of 2828 Old 07-14-2004, 08:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

gbsnplr

You raise a good question. The problem with trying to answer this is that these sets are too new for anyone to be able to answer you from a standpoint of actual experience. Has anyone actually taken the glare screen off and can say definitively that you don't have other problems?

Personally, I really like Mitsubishi's. But I doubt that I'd jump in until these sets have been out for a while.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #190 of 2828 Old 07-14-2004, 09:10 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:

Originally posted by gbsnplr
From what I can see the only difference between the 525, 725, and the 825 are the features. Picture quality should be the same with each. My only question is would spending the say $500 more for the 725 and the anti glare screen over the 525 be a good idea, or should I just take the Diamond Shield off the 525 and save the money?

I have this set and I'm going to try taking off the glare screen and report
back with the results. Just watching some material on it, even in light controlled rooms, the glare screen can be problematic. If you are watching something that's bright, I was watching the MLB Allstar game last night in Fox(WS, not HD) and it really looked nice. If you watching something with deep blacks you lose detail, I think the glare screen contributes to that.
post #191 of 2828 Old 07-14-2004, 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by JimP
gbsnplr

You raise a good question. The problem with trying to answer this is that these sets are too new for anyone to be able to answer you from a standpoint of actual experience. Has anyone actually taken the glare screen off and can say definitively that you don't have other problems?

Personally, I really like Mitsubishi's. But I doubt that I'd jump in until these sets have been out for a while.

I can tell you right now, in regards to PQ, I think the Mits are equal to the other DLP's that are out there right now. Given the current state of DLP technology I don't any of the upcoming Samsungs, Toshiba's, Panny's or Mits are really going to exceed the other in PQ. Some wll have strenghts and some will have weaknesses. Being a first time buyer of a DLP TV, I was very skeptical of DLP along with LCOS, LCD and Plasma and still kind miss my old CRT, so if you are going to wait you should simply for more maturity of the technology itself.

BTW, I wish someone else would purchase one of these TV's, I need someone to converse with, I still have to read Samsung post to get advice on setting up my Mits set.
post #192 of 2828 Old 07-14-2004, 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by VA Ringer
Sorry, I did not check about the financing. Honestly, 4K is outta my range. That is why I was asking about the PB. Its looking like 50" Sammy for me unless the toshibas/pannys surprise me. The RCA or LG just are not up to par yet.
Thanks for the replies!

I did not pay 4K for my set, try to get them to give you a discount.
post #193 of 2828 Old 07-14-2004, 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by htwaits
It's best use would be with Mitsubishi components equipped with Netcommand too. That would allow you to connect everything with firewire cables -- one per component. There is a way to include non Mitsubishi/Firewire components too. It's your very own command control center using a single remote and the TV screen to control everything. Given an all Mitsubishi setup the wire mess should be reduced too.

I don't know how many Netcommand components have been released by Mitsubishi or what kinds of problems have cropped up.

Netcommand is awesome!! And the features these new Mits sets have are just great. The TV is so easy to use, so easy to set up. The built in ATSC tuner is great!! I don't have to use and extra component video input for an external tuner.

The biggest problem that I'm having is getting the picture setting right. The digital cable signal is bad, poor PQ from it, I had to tweak the TV a bit to get an some what acceptable picture and that's a reach. I switched to analog OTA and the picture quality improved. I went to the digital OTA and the PQ doubled from the digital cable feed, much better, clear, bright and sharp as hell. Watching channel 2 news I could see every blemish on Dennis Richmond's face(if you live in the Bay Area you know who he is).
post #194 of 2828 Old 07-14-2004, 11:29 AM

Thanks for the help. My main issue is to determine to wiat for the 725 set or just go get the 525 and remove the glare screen. I will get another HDTiVo so I can't see waiting for the 825 with the built in 120 gig hard drive since I can't see any picture quality increases.

OT does anyone know when the Toshiba will be out I am interested to see if the 8 segment color wheel makes any difference. (note I think it was 8 segment )
post #195 of 2828 Old 07-14-2004, 11:38 AM

Don't worry there Auditor55, this weekend & I'll be in the mix with you. TV coming in the am, cable guy (for HDTV) coming in the afternoon.

As this HT upgrading isn't limited to just a new tv, I decided to get a dedicated dvd player as well (have been using the Xbox). Was trying to decide between the Denon 910, Momitsu & Zenith 318. Went for the 318 in the end & should have that early next week. Already have my DVI -> HDMI cable waiting.
post #196 of 2828 Old 07-14-2004, 11:38 AM

I viewed the Mits 52" 525 at UE (Soundtrack) in CO last week. All DLPs, LCDs, and RP CRTs were displaying satellite Discovery HD feed via coax (ANT-1).

The picture of the 525 was better than the other DLPs and LCDs, though I am hardly an expert. The glare was rather severe and distracting at times. Since I would be using it in a soon-to-be-finished basement with complete control of lighting, I think the glare would be manageable for me.

With that being said, I think I will wait to see the 725 and the Toshiba models before making a purchase. It would also be very nice to view these sets via Component/HDMI.
post #197 of 2828 Old 07-14-2004, 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Reynard
Sweet! Congratulations. Hey, wait a minute....did they mention anything about the fan to you??? You can't be getting yours before me.

I finally heard the fan. Is there supposed to be fix for it?
post #198 of 2828 Old 07-14-2004, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

glad to hear Soundtrack has one, I will need to get by there to check it out.
Jeff

Jeff
post #199 of 2828 Old 07-14-2004, 05:51 PM

I was told by my guy that, "some of the WD-52525's had the fan mounted incorrectly causing excessive fan noise." He wanted to make sure my set was checked before I recieved it, hence the week delay.

As for the fix, I'm not sure if all it is is a re-mount of the existing fan or a replacement part. Actually, the more I think about, pretty sure it was the latter because I think he mentioned something about the updated parts arriving this week. That's why he wanted to wait for delivery because if my set needed them, they would be readily available....yeah, that's the ticket.
post #200 of 2828 Old 07-14-2004, 08:26 PM

What's the serial number range on the defective WD-52525's. Is there a way to detect if a set has the fan mounted incorrectly. Does the fan need to be replaced, I was going to pickup a WD-52525 before Mitsubishi's cool 0% finance deal runs at the end of July. However I may have to go with a safer bet - maybe a Panny? I just do not want issues with a $3.800 DLP.

- The Sleeper has awaken -

Mitsubishi 73838
Panasonic DMP-BDT210
post #201 of 2828 Old 07-15-2004, 12:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:

Originally posted by twohype
However I may have to go with a safer bet - maybe a Panny? I just do not want issues with a $3.800 DLP.

Why do you think a Panasonic will be less trouble. There last DLP model had serious flickering and power problems? In fact, Panasonic announced that they were dropping out of the DLP market, and then changed there mind several months later.
post #202 of 2828 Old 07-15-2004, 05:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
After hearing that I had purchased a Mitsubishi WS-65813, I think my father got a little bit jealous. He called me last night and said he had gone to his local Tweeter store and purchased a WD-62825. He said that it would not be in until mid September, but at least he would have it for most of football season. He really knows absolutely nothing about DLP TVs; accept that he wouldn't have to worry about burn in, which was his reason for picking the DLP over the CRT. Can anyone give me any reason why purchasing a WD-62825 would be a bad decision while my dad still has time to get his money back?

Louie

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
post #203 of 2828 Old 07-15-2004, 05:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

pbmax542

Last year, I was waiting to see the 65813s before making a decision on purchasing a new TV. My local Mits dealer kept putting off the delivery date. After two months, I decided to go with another set.

Point is if your dad bought the 62825 with the idea of getting it in at a specific time to watch football, he might be disappointed that the set hadn't arrived. Quality wise, it's probably going to be one of the best sets out there.

post #204 of 2828 Old 07-15-2004, 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by pbmax542
After hearing that I had purchased a Mitsubishi WS-65813, I think my father got a little bit jealous. He called me last night and said he had gone to his local Tweeter store and purchased a WD-62825. He said that it would not be in until mid September, but at least he would have it for most of football season. He really knows absolutely nothing about DLP TVs; accept that he wouldn't have to worry about burn in, which was his reason for picking the DLP over the CRT. Can anyone give me any reason why purchasing a WD-62825 would be a bad decision while my dad still has time to get his money back?

1) I don't he or anyone should purchase a set without seeing it. Bad! Bad! idea.

2) He may not like the DLP picture.

3) $$$ may be more than a CRT, with less picture quality.

4) The fact that DLP is an infant technology, could mean trouble down the road, just read all the problems folks are having with Samsung's. I just purchased the a 52 inch Mits set and I'm scared that I'm going to start experiencing many of the problems that the Samsung owners are experiencing. This is my first jump into DLP technology, I have 30 day's to return it. I might return for one of the new Mits CRT's because I know CRT's are tried and true.
post #205 of 2828 Old 07-15-2004, 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by twohype
What's the serial number range on the defective WD-52525's. Is there a way to detect if a set has the fan mounted incorrectly. Does the fan need to be replaced,

All I know is what I've already posted so far. Sorry.
post #206 of 2828 Old 07-15-2004, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I tried to talk him into getting a CRT, but he is really worried about burn in. He says that he doesn't want to stretch out 4:3 images, and despite the fact he is in his 50s; the man plays a lot of video games. He said that he looked at some of the other DLP TVs in the store, and was pleased with their picture quality. I don't know if he paid any attention to black levels, which from what I hear is one of DLPs weaknesses.

What extra features do the Diamond series have over the other ones? More inputs, higher res, better screen? I just hope that there new line-up as the ability to disable NetCommand. It is driving me crazy on my new Mits.

Louie

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
post #207 of 2828 Old 07-15-2004, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Diamond has a PVR with a 120GB drive and a better anti-glare screen.
post #208 of 2828 Old 07-15-2004, 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by pbmax542
I tried to talk him into getting a CRT, but he is really worried about burn in. He says that he doesn't want to stretch out 4:3 images, and despite the fact he is in his 50s; the man plays a lot of video games. He said that he looked at some of the other DLP TVs in the store, and was pleased with their picture quality. I don't know if he paid any attention to black levels, which from what I hear is one of DLPs weaknesses.

What extra features do the Diamond series have over the other ones? More inputs, higher res, better screen? I just hope that there new line-up as the ability to disable NetCommand. It is driving me crazy on my new Mits.

You don't have to use Netcommand. I'm not using it now because I wanted to get to PQ settings first, but I can't wait to start using it, I think Netcommand is awesome. So easy to set up, so user friendly. In the future I'm only going to purchase products that can interface with my TV via Firewire.

If your fathers concerns about purchasing a CRT are as you stated, purchasing a DLP was the right choice as there are no burn in issues with watching 4:3 images and playing video games, so stop trying to make you dad have buyers remorse
post #209 of 2828 Old 07-15-2004, 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by UMD_Terp
Diamond has a PVR with a 120GB drive and a better anti-glare screen.

I'm still puzzled why Mits would make a set with a glare screen and one without it. Most other DLP and LCD manufacturers make sets without glare screens, they don't market them as anti-glare, anti-glare is a just standard.

Almost all CRT's come with the glare screen. I always thought the glare screen was meant as a protective screen, to keep the actual screen on your TV sets from scratches, nicks, coffee stains, etc. On CRT's RPTV's, they used to have them doors that you could close to protect the screen. Now the protective screen has become the infamous "glare" screen.

From what I understand, what's causing the glare is the protective screen, or is it true that if you remove the protective screen you will still get glare?
post #210 of 2828 Old 07-15-2004, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Auditor55
I'm still puzzled why Mits would make a set with a glare screen and one without it.

Quote:

Originally posted by JimP
....these highly reflective screens is one way that Mits uses to differentiate the lower priced sets from their top models.

Quote:

Originally posted by Auditor55
From what I understand, what's causing the glare is the protective screen, or is it true that if you remove the protective screen you will still get glare?

Yes, once you remove the protective screen the glare will be eliminated.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page