**Official** Panasonic X54 series RPTV Thread. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 681 Old 07-15-2004, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Please visit: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=452174 as this is the official tweaks and troubleshooting page.

Panasonic has released there new 2004-2005 crt rptv lineup. http://www.panasonic.ca/English/audi...tion/index.asp

These sets are a huge improvement over Panasonic's previous efforts and includes features such as:

NEW High-Definition CENTAUR IV CRT (exclusive to Panasonic)
The new high definition Centaur CRT utilizes a reduced beam spot to increase resolution and reduce flare effect. The result of this is a clear image from corner to corner with increased definition. The improved phosphor screen delivers consistent colour purity for an extended length
of time.

P3 (Precision Picture Processing)
High definition signals place new demands on TV video processing circuits to enable the display of high definition images. Panasonic HDTV Televisions improve the picture in three ways:

Improved signal-to-noise ratio thanks to a new 3D algorithm, double pixel processing and MPEG (digital) noise reduction that reduces block noise.
Improved sharpness without the halo effect with new 2-dimensional edge correction circuitry.
Improved contrast at high picture levels because of a new gradation compensation circuit, which enhances the dynamic range of the picture tube.
PRO-FOCUS Picture Tube

Anti-Reflective Screen Shield
This new Screen Shield dramatically reduces ambient light reflections from bay windows and lamps, allowing for a more natural viewing experience. The unique diffusion system produced by using our .52 mm fine pitch screen and the new AR Screen Shield offers superior brightness, even at extreme viewing angles.

Artificial Intelligence Picture Control
This feature continuously monitors signal conditions to maintain a high degree of contrast in the picture. It looks at all areas of the picture at the same time. If a particular area is too light, AI Picture Control can darken that area without affecting the black level or brightness in the overall picture.

Auto Convergence
A typical projection television uses three picture tubes (red, green and blue) to produce the image we see on screen. These picture tubes must be aligned correctly to achieve a sharp, detailed image. Panasonic's new line of Projection Screen Televisions now features Auto Convergence to make image alignment fast and easy. Misalignment of the image can be caused by placement next to an unshielded speaker, the earth's geomagnetic field or movement. Simply press the button on the front
panel of the television, any time the TV set is shipped, repositioned or jostled, to achieve optimum picture performance.

Motion-Adaptive 3D-Y/C Digital Comb Filter: designed to eliminate hanging dots, and works on diagonal patterns to eliminate the colour rainbow effect in closely spaced patterns by compensating for the motion that occurs between fields. As a result, bright colours and fast action scenes are displayed with incredible clarity.

Digital Velocity Modulated Scan (selectable)
This feature provides sharp black-to-white transitions for exceptional picture quality. Advanced circuitry along the neck of the CRT senses shifts from black to white in the video signal. The black and white portions of the signal are sped up and slowed down, respectively, resulting in improved transitions. When viewing movies, you can easily turn off this feature to achieve a more film-like picture.

HD Enhanced Wide-Band Video Amplifier
The industry standard Wide-Band Video amplifier was designed to work with regular video signals. Today we have video sources that offer significantly higher resolution. The new HD Enhanced Wide-Band Video Amplifier, from Panasonic, is specifically designed for HDTV and other digital sources. This new video amplifier offers three times the bandwidth to ensure that every image detail is displayed with stunning accuracy, regardless of the source.

High Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI)
HDMI is an uncompressed digital video and audio interface that is the
new standard digital connection between home theatre devices, such as
a set-top box, DVD player or A/V receiver, and a digital television. HDMI offers exceptional video quality while supporting multi-channel digital audio and extended cable lengths in excess of 15 metres.

I have started this thread because some of friends from the Hitachi thread, reccommended I do so.

I have personally seen the PT-47x54 and I was totally blown away by the picture. I spent 2 hours at Best Buy (they were all running very good HD feed through component cables on all of these tvs) tweaking the Panny 47x54, Toshiba 51H84, and the Hitachi 46f500 and the Panny produced the best picture by far. It had the brightest, sharpest, best colour reproduction, and the most detailed picture from all the sets. It rivaled the Sammy DLP in terms of brightness and overall detail in the picture.

Don't take my work for it. Go to the store and check them out yourself before buying a Hitachi, Toshiba, or MITS. I was a hairs breath away from pulling the trigger on the Hitachi, but noticed the Panny at the last minute. Now I have a Panny on order at BB and I should have it delivered sometime this week.

And at 2000.00 CDN, thats about 1400 for ya yanks, It's quite a steal.

Please post any thoughts and I'll be back with my in home review.

Here's some more links:

features http://www.panasonic.ca/English/audi...n/features.asp

Detailed Spec's
http://www.panasonic.ca/English/audi...tion/specs.asp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 681 Old 07-15-2004, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
and was very impressed with it, based on the comparable Sony and Hitachi sitting next to it. Now this one was new and the others had been in the shop for over a year, so that may have had something to do with it.

I'm waiting to compare against the new 46f510 and will make my decision after that.
post #3 of 681 Old 07-16-2004, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Looks good on paper. We'll be awaiting the in-home reviews.

Conan, will this be your first HDTV?
post #4 of 681 Old 07-16-2004, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Conan, will this be your first HDTV?

No, I own a 34" Sony HS510. This will be my first RPTV. I also own an old Zenith front projector which is in my basement.

FYI: Best Buy in Canada is offering a free Xbox with the purchase of the Panny! Im not sure if they have this deal in the states, but you should look into it.
post #5 of 681 Old 07-17-2004, 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by conan48
No, I own a 34" Sony HS510. This will be my first RPTV. I also own an old Zenith front projector which is in my basement.

FYI: Best Buy in Canada is offering a free Xbox with the purchase of the Panny! Im not sure if they have this deal in the states, but you should look into it.

that sounds like a great deal!

I ordered mine from onecall.com, great price and great reputation.. should get it next week, I'll have a write up if anyone is interested.
post #6 of 681 Old 07-17-2004, 04:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Consider getting Michael TLV to calibrate the panny. He's based in Canada and is an expert on the pannys.
post #7 of 681 Old 07-17-2004, 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Raph
that sounds like a great deal!

I ordered mine from onecall.com, great price and great reputation.. should get it next week, I'll have a write up if anyone is interested.

I'm always interested in another write-up! Especially since I'm still deciding whether to go crt or fixed pixel.
post #8 of 681 Old 07-18-2004, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I'm thinking about selling my panasonic 42" EDTV Plasma for this TV, and would like to read a more detail user review also.
post #9 of 681 Old 07-18-2004, 04:45 PM

Uh, the Panasonic Canada web link you provided lists the PT-47X54 and
PT-53X54 models WITHOUT Anti-Reflective Screen Shield !
post #10 of 681 Old 07-18-2004, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Uh, the Panasonic Canada web link you provided lists the PT-47X54 and

Yeah, it looks like only the PT-53TW54 has the Anti Reflective screen sheild. But most people don't like the screen shield and remove it anyway. It seems to make the picture worse, then better. Do a search and You'll find coutless threads on people asking for help to remove the screen shields. This is more of a bonus! and saves you the hassle of having to remove it yourself.
post #11 of 681 Old 07-18-2004, 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by conan48
Yeah, it looks like only the PT-53TW54 has the Anti Reflective screen sheild. But most people don't like the screen shield and remove it anyway. It seems to make the picture worse, then better. Do a search and You'll find coutless threads on people asking for help to remove the screen shields. This is more of a bonus! and saves you the hassle of having to remove it yourself.

Sounds like a...

post #12 of 681 Old 07-19-2004, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by SonyAteMyBaby
Sounds like a...

Not quite . More like fact.
post #13 of 681 Old 07-20-2004, 05:00 PM

I noticed that Walmart has the 47WX54 listed online for CHEAP. I went to Circuit City to price match (beat) Walmart, but Circuit City had the model number 47X54 beside their 47" Panny. Now I know that both Walmart and Circuit City are selling the same TV, but how do I convince Circuit City of this? Panasonic lists the model number as 47X54, so technically Circuit City is right...

Any ideas or experience with a similar situation? Thanks.
post #14 of 681 Old 07-20-2004, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I believe the one the Walmart carries is exclusive to them and I think Costco. It's basically the same model as last years x53 models but they added HDMI. This is not the same as the new PT-47X54 that CC carries
post #15 of 681 Old 07-21-2004, 06:11 AM

thanks conan... i went to a walmart to double check and found it was a different model. ah well....
post #16 of 681 Old 07-26-2004, 11:53 AM

I want one... but is 720 important?
post #17 of 681 Old 07-26-2004, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I was glad to see this thread today. I am very interested in these new Panny RPTVs. I've seen them in stores a couple times now and i've been very impressed so far.

The bummr is that i'm really interested in the models with the cable card and HD tuner included and those models won't be out for a month or two according to my local store. I don't know why Panasonic would put them all on their site now when some of the tvs won't be in stores for months. Doesn't make any sense to me.

I've read conflicting reports that the front panel hides a shelf for placement of a DVD player or reciever. However, when I was in the store I found this to not be true. Anyone hear anything about this?

post #18 of 681 Old 07-26-2004, 01:58 PM

There is no shelf in the front panel. Well, not that I've noticed, but I've had the set for all of 24 hours. I may have overlooked something.

The important question I have is.. Does anyone know how to disable Red Push on these new sets? The instructions on panny.tv do not work for the new x54 models.

Help! It's driving me nuts!
post #19 of 681 Old 07-26-2004, 02:04 PM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Good thread. Keep it up.

"I'm going to call them scallywags" - Ollie

Xbox Live: Stunt1on1
post #20 of 681 Old 07-26-2004, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm contemplating my first CRT RPTV purchase. I've already owned a 42" Sony GW III and a 60" Sony XBR950 LCD Projection.

I'm really considering a CRT RPTV for several reasons and these new Panasonic models have really caught my eye.

First off, a CRT RPTV doesn't suffer from vertical banding or motion artifacts from fast panning from left to right. They also don't have rainbows like DLPs. They also have better black levels which is a big advantage. When you throw all these things together and then you realize the price is a couple thousand dollars less i'm beginning to wonder how anyone could buy a DLP or LCD Projection instead of a CRT RPTV.

I know of the CRT RPTV drawbacks but overall I just don't see them as serious as the drawbacks of the DLPs and LCD RPTV.

Am I nuts?

post #21 of 681 Old 07-26-2004, 03:45 PM

Absolutely not, just read this article !!!

http://news.designtechnica.com/talkback38.html
post #22 of 681 Old 07-27-2004, 09:37 AM

Hi everyone,

My 53x54 arrived yesterday (Wahoo!). This is my first RPTV. I have to say that when I started researching TV's I was dead set against RPTV and didn't even consider them for a couple of months. After reading the pros and cons on LCD and DLP I wasn't sure they were worth the money to me.

Then I saw the panny 53x54 in a store. I tried to research it but it's new and not a lot of info out there. I took a chance and to make a long story short, I love it.

I have Directv and it is somewhat grainy but it is what I expected from an RPTV (actually a little better). Viewing distance is very important. I'm about 10' and for SD content. I wish I was 11' or 12'. Then I put in the Matrix Revolutions in my Zenith DVB318 and WOW! This is what I wanted a great movie machine! Very clear. All of this is right out of the box. I did turn down the brightness and switched it to cinema mode.

Anyway I just wanted to throw in my experience with this TV but keep in mind it is my first RPTV.

Matt
post #23 of 681 Old 07-27-2004, 10:17 AM

Does anyone know if there is any reviews of the X54 series on the web or in a magazine ????
post #24 of 681 Old 07-27-2004, 10:32 AM

Matt,

Once you get your Directv HD package up and running, you'll find yourself watching SD less and less. I was actually quite surprised at how well the x54 handles the SD directtv images. I thought i'd been spoiled by my wega 36xbr400, but the x54 gives VERY comparable performance!

I just hope some weathered tweakers get their hands on this set. I think it's capable of producing a truly beautiful picture. (I was flooered at how great it looks out of the box.)
post #25 of 681 Old 07-27-2004, 11:02 AM

Neglekt,

Did you use Avia or DVE?

That's a bummer to here about the red push fix not working on the new sets. Mine isn't too bad but I would like to tone it down a little.

Does anyone know if Avia or DVE will help that at all?

Thanks.
post #26 of 681 Old 07-27-2004, 11:09 AM

I used Avia.. and it helped for basic settings.. and my colors/levels look pretty dead on. There's just this extra redness to skin tones that seems prevalent. I've only watched 3 movies so far (time has not been on my side this week) so I need to sit down with some reference films that I know well, so I can truly judge what's what.

I'm not really comfortable in the service menu area.. so I haven't tweaked too much in there. I've only used the user adjustments so far.

However the process to enter the service menu is the same as previous sets. To exit and save, well.. i had to try different combinations of action and power to get it to dump out of the service menu. I don't remember what combo worked, however..
post #27 of 681 Old 07-27-2004, 01:58 PM

Second question.. has anyone had a chance to hook an xbox up to an x54 yet to see if it supports a 720p source? The press release claims that it does, however the specs on the website say it's 540.
post #28 of 681 Old 07-28-2004, 02:30 AM

I too am thinking of getting either 47'' or the 53''. I just have a couple of questions. First, I was almost stuck on getting the Sony KP46WT510. After seeing this 53'' Panny though for only a hundred bucks more and getting 6'' more inches. What is the major differences between the two? Also, I see mentioned is a LIne doubler on the panny set, does this come with all RPTV's or just this brand?
Secondly, according the their website the TV only does 540p. What happens when a DVD progressive plays at 480p, or the Xbox which does 720p?
Plus, I'm dying to hear reviews about this set, please say anything you can.
Thanks
post #29 of 681 Old 07-28-2004, 10:36 AM

Chad,

I have the 53" and a DVB318 dvd player. I highly recommend the DVB318. Anyway it has the option of changing the output to 480p/720p/1080i. I had Nemo in and switched it from 1080i to 480p successfully however the picture is not as clear. I tried 720p and it wouldn't display. I don't know if there are other settings in the tv or not but I didn't have time to play with it. Some have reported that Xbox will work but I don't have Xbox. The DVB318 has done a great job with up converting the dvd's I have tried so far to 1080i, Terminator 3, Matrix II, Nemo, Men in Black II. It looks GREAT on the panny!! I know everybody has different opinions and I am certainly not an expert but I have never liked RPTV's and I am quite happy with my first one.

How far will you be from the TV? This seems to be more critical with viewing regular video feeds. I can sit 4' away while watching a dvd at 1080i and it is still great to me. Viewing distance might help you decide what size TV to look for.
post #30 of 681 Old 07-28-2004, 12:52 PM

Right now I can get a KP46WT510 for 2300. And I can get a PT-47X54 for 1900. The panny is bigger but all I see missing is that the Sony has a DVI input, and can accept 720p. Which one would you guys go for? Also to mention, the 53'' Panny is only a 100 bucks more than the sony 46''.
Thanks
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page