Official Toshiba H83/H84 CRT Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 2859 Old 12-10-2004, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm assuming this Kenwood system was an HTIB? If it was then i would assume it has the proper shielding. If you have a dedicated center channel speaker i would imagine that it is shielded as i have yet to see one that is not. Also, if it was a Home theater in a box type set(HTIB), then i would also believe that the speakers(at least the front 3) should be shielded. Did you check out my pics? If not check them out . I've got a center channel sitting on top of my set and R & L speakers just a couple of inches to either side of the set. Good luck when you get it and keep us informed !

If it only takes one match to start a forestfire, then why does it take the whole#$%@!&* box to start a camp fire for the kids?!?!? PITTDOG1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2859 Old 12-13-2004, 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by jim321
One thing that's making me believe there might be something wrong with my tv is that during dark scenes I see a reddish tint (similar to the post made by FredHD) on the right and left sides of the screen (to include the top and bottom black bars). I've calibrated my set with avia so contrast and brightness levels are optimum. I do notice the problem gets worse if I turn up the brightness (the redness then spreads to the rest of the screen) and improves when it's turned down. It won't go away completely unless it's turned way down (around 25) when watching DVDs, which is definitely too dark to be watchable. I can see the problem to varying degrees on DVD component input, DVD HDMI input and HD component input. IMO this problem is far more irritating than CDL issue which leads me to believe the problem is specific to my tv (since I haven't seen any posts describing the same problem). I will try to capture an image tonight with my digital camera and post.

You're not alone; I see this on my set, too.
post #363 of 2859 Old 12-13-2004, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

I want to purchase a DVD to calibrate my TV. Which is better....Avia or DVE?

AlbanyHDTV.com webmaster
post #364 of 2859 Old 12-13-2004, 10:23 PM

im thinking about buying the 57h84 from onecall and was curious about viewing angles is it pretty well viewed from all angles or is their only athe sweet spot straight on thxs
post #365 of 2859 Old 12-14-2004, 10:18 AM

Hey everyone, I just got my 46H84 delivered about 30 min sago. It is like 35 degrees here in Va and I was wondering if I should let the Toshiba "acclimate" itself to my house(72 degrees)? Should I not turn it on for a period of time or what????
post #366 of 2859 Old 12-14-2004, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Just give it some warm love and affection and wait about two hours. But I don't think anything would happen if you turned on the set now.
post #367 of 2859 Old 12-14-2004, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by snakeyes1022
im thinking about buying the 57h84 from onecall and was curious about viewing angles is it pretty well viewed from all angles or is their only athe sweet spot straight on thxs

These sets have a very wide viewing angle. The only drawback is(really with all rear projection sets) the vertical viewing angle. Usually people are seated when viewing and this is no biggie.

If it only takes one match to start a forestfire, then why does it take the whole#$%@!&* box to start a camp fire for the kids?!?!? PITTDOG1
post #368 of 2859 Old 12-14-2004, 02:34 PM

Ok, I'm setting up my new 46H84 and I have run into an issue. I have the RCA DTC210 HD STB and am trying to run the DVI output from that into my 46H84 with a DVI to HDMI converter cable. However, when I switch to DVI input, the picture is all Yellow and Red!!! It is VERY weird. What causes this??? Do I have a bad HDMI input on my 46H84, please help. All of my other inputs work fine like component, and the rest. When I say wacky picture colors, I mean like psychadelic, weird. Any help??
post #369 of 2859 Old 12-14-2004, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Could be a couple of things. First, since i'm unfamiliar with your box, if you go into the menu of your stb is there a selection for component, DVI etc.?
If there is , make sure you select DVI. Also , the DVI output may not be active on that box as is the case with my Scientific Atlanta HD DVR. Or it could just be the stb itself is screwed up or the HDMI input on your set. I would suspect the least likely would be the HDMI on your set. You can post a thread in the HDTV hardware forum here at AVS with your particular box and see if there is any compatability issues with it and your set or any quirks on the box itself. Very knowledgeable people on that forum about this type of stuff. Give it a try.
On a side note, unless you just need the extra component input on your set for something else, the HDMI probably won't look any better than component on your set. But it would be nice just to make sure you don't have a faulty box or input on your set just the same. Good luck!

post #370 of 2859 Old 12-14-2004, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by jim321
One thing that's making me believe there might be something wrong with my tv is that during dark scenes I see a reddish tint (similar to the post made by FredHD) on the right and left sides of the screen (to include the top and bottom black bars). I've calibrated my set with avia so contrast and brightness levels are optimum. I do notice the problem gets worse if I turn up the brightness (the redness then spreads to the rest of the screen) and improves when it's turned down. It won't go away completely unless it's turned way down (around 25) when watching DVDs, which is definitely too dark to be watchable. I can see the problem to varying degrees on DVD component input, DVD HDMI input and HD component input. IMO this problem is far more irritating than CDL issue which leads me to believe the problem is specific to my tv (since I haven't seen any posts describing the same problem). I will try to capture an image tonight with my digital camera and post.

I'm experiencing the same thing!!!!

I've been screwing with my settings all night and I can't figure out the problem. I didn't notice it when I first got the set but now I can't watch a dark scene without seeing the "redness." At first I thought it was the speakers (even though they're shielded) so I moved them away. I tried different DVD players. Still the same. What IS this? I'm very disappointed at the moment I just got this tv not 2 weeks ago and I don't even feel like watching it now.

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
post #371 of 2859 Old 12-15-2004, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Actually, now on DVDtalk I'm hearing that a Best Buy HT person was instructed to send all 51 and 57" Toshiba's back because of defects and returns. Anyone else hear about this?

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
post #372 of 2859 Old 12-15-2004, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I saw that thread on DVDtalk, and what is being referenced is a factory recall based on safety issues with some of the 51H83 and 57H83 sets. There is no reference to PQ concerns.

Please see the following link from the Toshiba website for details:

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/tacpasse...ety_notice.asp

Tim

He drove a black and white pirate ship at 190 mph.
- Dale in the #3 will never be forgotten. Thanks for the memories.
post #373 of 2859 Old 12-15-2004, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh well. Kills that theory I guess.
Wasn't even the same model #.

I'm having someone from PC Richard come out and look at it on Friday and a Toshiba tech come on Monday. Nothing else to do because I can't get my money back.

post #374 of 2859 Old 12-15-2004, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Location: Living among the children of the corn in Oxford, (S.E.), PA.
I have the 57h83, and got a notice from Toshiba in the mail about this. Based on serial# my unit wasn't affected. However, I called them for more info, and found the CSR pleasant and helpful.

"The Bundys' proud name was built on a philosophy of lying. Well, lying, owing money and perhaps beer. Yes, lying, owing money and beer. The only thing that separates us from the Kennedys is that they have money." - Al Bundy
post #375 of 2859 Old 12-15-2004, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's a question: in the convergence menu, is there any way to reset the settings in there? I'm wondering if someone who was looking at my tv had possibly screwed with something while I wasn't looking. To be honest, I don't remember the set looking like this when I first got it a week and a half ago.

post #376 of 2859 Old 12-15-2004, 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by DigitalfreakNYC
Here's a question: in the convergence menu, is there any way to reset the settings in there? I'm wondering if someone who was looking at my tv had possibly screwed with something while I wasn't looking. To be honest, I don't remember the set looking like this when I first got it a week and a half ago.

You could reset your convergence back to the factory settings through the convergence menu. Although if you're trying to fix the redness issue that probably won't help. I think the problem has always existed on mine, it just took a week or so to notice it. No one has touched my tv but me so I can't put the blame on anyone else. I'm curious to hear how your service calls go on Friday and Mondaylet us know.

The world really isn't any worse, it's just that the news coverage
is so much better.
post #377 of 2859 Old 12-15-2004, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Jim,

Will do. You just got yours a week ago?

Weird. I wonder if this is a problem with newer models?

post #378 of 2859 Old 12-15-2004, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I just got home. Reset the colors.

And still red. I was certain that's what it could have been. Oh well.

I'm very upset.

post #379 of 2859 Old 12-16-2004, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

So I figured it out.

It was (mostly) my player. I am using a Malata as my primary player (so that I can be region free) and a Panasonic as my DVD recorder. I calibrated the tv properly on the Panasonic and realized that the malata then was way too bright. And brightness is what causes a majority of the "redness" that I see. I brought down the brightness on the Malata to about -15 and voila! It now has the same beautiful picture as my recorder.

Now, is it still there? Yes. Is it bad? Not at all. I'd say there is an acceptable amount at the moment. I may still hire someone to come out and look at calibrating my tv. The problem was HORRIBLE before and now it's barely noticeable. I suggest checking your player if you end up with the same problem.

Btw...how does one access the service menu? I'd think about doing the two things mentioned to me on various forums but I don't know how to even get there!

I'm still going to keep the appointments to see what I can get out of them but I'm not expecting much.

post #380 of 2859 Old 12-16-2004, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm pretty sure the instuctions have been given here in this thread several times. Just do a search on this thread for "service menu" at the top of the page.

post #381 of 2859 Old 12-17-2004, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

RCUT did it. No more redness on the sides I cut it by 8 clicks and it was gone. Try it but BE CAREFUL IN THE SERVICE MENU!

post #382 of 2859 Old 12-17-2004, 01:08 PM

Quote:

RCUT did it. No more redness on the sides I cut it by 8 clicks and it was gone. Try it but BE CAREFUL IN THE SERVICE MENU!

Would you please be more specific about what you did to fix this problem?
Thanks,
Eben
post #383 of 2859 Old 12-17-2004, 02:54 PM

Quote:

Excellent news! I would defintely like to hear more specifics on how you were able to do this in the service menu. Have you noticed any negative effects on the picture quality (color, detail, etc)?

Thanks,
Jim

is so much better.
post #384 of 2859 Old 12-17-2004, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

went into the service menu and lowered the RCUT by 8 clicks. Not sure what the setting is now but the redness is completely gone. Any redness in the picture I lost, just compensated in the regular menu with "color." Looks great to me. Put on some movies that had strong reds and didn't notice any negatives.

post #385 of 2859 Old 12-17-2004, 07:03 PM

I dropped mine by 6 and notice a 100% improvement! I need to calibrate with avia again but I think everything should be cool as far as PQ goes. Thanks a lot!

Jim

is so much better.
post #386 of 2859 Old 12-17-2004, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm assuming that you guys having the problem have H84 sets? Just curious, as i have never heard this brought up before with the H83 sets and mine doesn't have the red push. I'm glad you guys figured it out and can enjoy them now. I read somewhere on this forum that the H84's use different guns than the H83's. Maybe that has something to do with it. Who knows, but like i said, at least you got it figured out. Enjoy!

post #387 of 2859 Old 12-19-2004, 12:24 PM

I haven't noticed it once since that one night. Maybe it was the disk I was watching (AOTC)

"Is that you baby's regular car seat?"
"No I borrowed it from my brother in law"
"Is he like a really petite guy or something?"
post #388 of 2859 Old 12-19-2004, 05:41 PM

Well I read every single post in this thread last night and decided to pull the trigger and buy a 65h84 today at a great price.... I was going to get the Mitsu 65 but I couldn't pass up the $600.00 difference, and the all the positive things said about 84 units here...

It's being delivered Thursday so I was wondering if someone could help me on a measurement thing... I need to build a base to set the unit on so the screen bottom height will clear the end of my bed... If someone could give me the measurement from floor to where the screen starts I'd appreciate it.

Is there anything I should keep an eye out for when setting up other than the start with Movie mode to disable to the SVM? My last two sets were Sonys so this Toshiba is a whole new animal to me.

Thanks

Live Gamertag: Venice Dre
PS3 User Name: VeniceDre
post #389 of 2859 Old 12-19-2004, 09:58 PM

I just received my 65H84 two days ago and to say that I've been impressed with it is an understatement. The PQ is alot better than I could have imagined.

When I first hooked up my DVD player I only had a cheap composite cable that was the required 6' long that I needed so I used that for the component output. I was a bit concerned though when I first started watching it as I noticed some weird horizontal coloured lines throughout the picture. I was very relieved to know that it was the cables that I was using that was causing this so they were replaced with a good quality set and man what a difference. I love this TV!!!

As for your question about the screen hieght, it's 26" from the floor up to where the bottom of the screen starts. Width is 60", Depth is 26 1/4".

My unit came with the contrast set to max (100). You may want to put it at 50 and do the DVE or AVIA disc set up right away. Enjoy!
post #390 of 2859 Old 12-19-2004, 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Swederic
As for your question about the screen hieght, it's 26" from the floor up to where the bottom of the screen starts. Width is 60", Depth is 26 1/4".

My unit came with the contrast set to max (100). You may want to put it at 50 and do the DVE or AVIA disc set up right away. Enjoy!

Perfect on the screen height info thanks... I just built a 72"x28"x6" platform this evening to lift it up a little bit... I love power tools! The screen will start at the same height my old Sony 43" did.

Live Gamertag: Venice Dre
PS3 User Name: VeniceDre
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page