Official Toshiba H83/H84 CRT Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 2859 Old 01-20-2005, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just received delivery of my 65H84. I'm watching Monster's Inc with a new DVD player as well. Pio Elite 59AVi using HDMI straight to the TV at 1080i. I did a very quick tweeking of contrast etc... Contrast was at 100! wow.

Everything's a little overwhelming, just using the different remotes controlling stuff and trying to change audio/video etc to the correct setting to watch what's on. I'll get used to it and would definately be looking into a remote that does it ALL.

Picture looks good but will definately do better with calibration. Getting an ISF next month. Thanks for the great thread. A lot of useful info here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2859 Old 01-20-2005, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Not 100% relevant to your post, but I'm running a Tosh 3960 via components to a 51H83 and can't tell a difference between setting the TV on 540p or 1080i. I also don't see much difference when I turn progressive off on my DVD player.

My picture looks a little soft from 10', is this normal? I haven't done 56point, only 9. Need to get HD yet, haven't tried an HD signal.

One last question, I have calibrated using the older Video Essentials, not the new Digital Video Essentials. Is it worth it for me to upgrade to the latest version?

Listen to the Real HT Info Podcast at http://realht.info, including video reviews at my YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/realhtinfo/videos
post #633 of 2859 Old 01-20-2005, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

WebCaplet, congrats on finding this thread! I knew it would help you out. There is so much info on this thread that you will probably lose your mind trying to read it all. As far as your DVD player goes, just try it in all configurations between it and the set.

eugovector, the 56 pt. will probably sharpen up your pic quite a bit. I otiginally calibrated mine with VE and then purchased the newer DVE. While there is alot more patterns geared towards widescreen sets on it, my numbers were virtually identical between the 2.

cissado, just make sure to bring everything down to around the 50% mark on your set. This will prepare you for the ISF calibrated picture that you're going to see once it is cal'd. As well as the usual burn-in wearing the phosphors etc. If you leave your settings to high , you might be disappointed in the PQ after calibration.

You guys all enjoy your sets, just as i enjoy mine. Don't be bashful and post some pics in the gallery of your set-ups. Mine and SSJ's are in there all ready. It'd be nice to have some company!

If it only takes one match to start a forestfire, then why does it take the whole#$%@!&* box to start a camp fire for the kids?!?!? PITTDOG1
post #634 of 2859 Old 01-20-2005, 05:14 PM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Great looking system Pittdog ...

My DIY Subs ... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #635 of 2859 Old 01-20-2005, 06:46 PM

Thanks pittdog1. My ISF guy told me to lower those settings to about 50% when I initially made the appointment. He also said select "war" mode and run it about 4 hours/day for a month before calibration.

The guy seems to be well known and very busy. I just got lucky that I happen to live close to him. lol
post #636 of 2859 Old 01-20-2005, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
cissado,

The minimum amount of time before ISF calibration is 100 hours. However,
some of the most respected calibrators that are in the Home Theater Spot recomend to have it done after 300 hours. Not only for burn in the guns but also in case there is any defect with the set you can always use your warranty for replacement,etc..

Enjoy in the meantime.

Christian

My DVD and Blu Ray collection

JVC RS65, ST 130, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103,PS Audio Power Plant Premier,Darbee Darblet
post #637 of 2859 Old 01-20-2005, 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by gonzalc3
cissado,

The minimum amount of time before ISF calibration is 100 hours. However,
some of the most respected calibrators that are in the Home Theater Spot recomend to have it done after 300 hours. Not only for burn in the guns but also in case there is any defect with the set you can always use your warranty for replacement,etc..

Enjoy in the meantime.

I understand. Sounds reasonable. When I made the appointment, I was awaiting delivery of the set from a purchase in December. I made the appointment for the middle of February some time. I thught it would be enought time but there was a delay in the shipping and I just received the set. Not a huge disaster, but it should go well.

PS I use the set waaaay more than 4 hours a day. lol
post #638 of 2859 Old 01-20-2005, 08:19 PM

PC picture does look great but be warned I saw a warning in the manual this TV was not designed for PC.
post #639 of 2859 Old 01-20-2005, 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by stu benedict
After reading about the red push and RCUT reductions in this excellent thread, I decided to venture into my new 46H84's service menu last night to check my default RCUT setting (I had extensive experience in tweaking my previous 27" Sony Wega's SM, so I wasn't too hesitant). It was 74H. I was a little surprised after reading that I should expect to see 90H or thereabouts. I might add that I'm not seeing an extensive red push, although there is a slight pinkish tint on the edges of the screen when I view the DVE grayscales. I thought this was probably due to the "warm" color setting, which does tend to emphasize red more than the other 2 settings. Additionally, when I set color and tint using DVE, the color bars seem right on with the blue and red filters, but nowhere near what they should look like with the green filter. Do I have green push? Or should I try "medium" color setting, as SSJ suggested previously? Any thoughts on what I should/shouldn't do?
Thanks,
Ted

Using the DVE disk, I have the same green push, (rather than red that others are seeing.) Also, my red and blue color bars are adjusted right on.
Since I have not seen any color issues, (as others have) I have not seen any reason to adjust any of the SM settings. But, if I can't get the green set correctly using the
user settings, should I consider moving the GCUT? Or, just be happy?

For reference- (these are the original settings)
RCUT 70H
GCUT 80H
BCUT 78H

This has been said before, but for those people using any of the preset settings of SPORTS/STANDARD/MOVIE or have not used a calibration disk yet..... you really don't know what a great PQ is!!

Toshiba 46H83 (8 months old)
Zenith DVB318 via component at 1080i upconvert
Dishnet (1080i output) model 921 dual tuner DVR via DVI
Boston Acoustic 5.1 Speakers
Yamaha A/V Receiver HT-5450
post #640 of 2859 Old 01-21-2005, 06:46 AM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Guys, I don't mean to repeat myself, but colour issues and gray scale issues are completely different. CUTs and DRVs affect gray scale, not colour, and therefore can not correct "red push". If you're seeing a reddish/greenish/bluish "hue" to your greys, than by adjusting CUTs and DRVs this can be corrected. Again, if you're seeing it with dark scenes, than adjust the CUTs, with "whites", adjust the DRVs. IF you put up an AVIA 30 IRE pattern and adjust the CUTs and a 80IRE pattern and adjust the DRVs (copy down your original settings) you'll see what I mean.

If you're seeing red push, than this can't be corrected via the CUTs and DRVs, only via the colour decoder parameters which have been put back into the H84 line (can't correct it with the H81, 82, 83 lines has there are not colour decoder parameters in the SM).

Unfortunately I have an HX83 and can't comment on what parameters in the H84 series to use to correct red push.

Cheers,

PBC

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #641 of 2859 Old 01-21-2005, 06:49 AM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Oh ... a good example would be to switch to Sports mode and see what this does to your greens. I believe Toshiba adjusted the internal colour decoder to do something to green to make it appear more flourescent. You can't "correct" this by adjusting GCUT when in movie mode for instance.

Regards,

PBC

Quote:

post #642 of 2859 Old 01-21-2005, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by pbc
Great looking system Pittdog ...

Thanks alot! I know it's modest by alot of peoples standard on this forum, but i thoroughly enjoy the heck out of it.

If it only takes one match to start a forestfire, then why does it take the whole#$%@!&* box to start a camp fire for the kids?!?!? PITTDOG1
post #643 of 2859 Old 01-21-2005, 01:41 PM

I recently had the cable card tuner in my 51h94 replaced as per a Toshiba recall problem. Now i am getting what ill call a flickering or vibrating display on certain screens its most noticeable when you bring up the grid to set converge each little "square" is jumping or flickering on the screen. i can even notice it from my couch at about 10ft and it really shows up when you bring up the input selection window you can see the edges flickering.

Anyone else have this or seen this on there tv either h84 or h94 (same thing minus cc tuner) i need ammo when the genius sears tech shows back up on Monday

Cablevision NJ - SA8300HD - Sara 1.88.23.1 - Apricorn DTS Enclosure w/250gig WD Caviar ( simple,cheap and it works )
post #644 of 2859 Old 01-21-2005, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by hofs1
I recently had the cable card tuner in my 51h94 replaced as per a Toshiba recall problem. Now i am getting what ill call a flickering or vibrating display on certain screens its most noticeable when you bring up the grid to set converge each little "square" is jumping or flickering on the screen. i can even notice it from my couch at about 10ft and it really shows up when you bring up the input selection window you can see the edges flickering.

Anyone else have this or seen this on there tv either h84 or h94 (same thing minus cc tuner) i need ammo when the genius sears tech shows back up on Monday

Make sure you are receiving a signal through either DVD player, cable, etc.
If you have no source playing on your set, then some menus and the convergence grid will tend to jump around a bit. Just enter the convergence grid either in user menu or Service menu while you are watching something on the set and all should be STILL .

post #645 of 2859 Old 01-21-2005, 10:20 PM

Anyone have a loose outside trim around their screen? My (silver) trim in the top center is very loose. It moves up and down and out of the groove that's made for it where it meets with the rest of the top/back black part of the TV. I place it back in place and press, but I did'nt want to over exert anything.
post #646 of 2859 Old 01-22-2005, 08:17 AM

I actually tried it on all active inputs and it still flickers when in convergence mode the thing is i dont remember it doing this before the tuner was replaced, and im sure the whole picture was sharper and clearer even the true hd stuff is not as sharp as before, gues ill see what the tech thinks should be fun.

Cablevision NJ - SA8300HD - Sara 1.88.23.1 - Apricorn DTS Enclosure w/250gig WD Caviar ( simple,cheap and it works )
post #647 of 2859 Old 01-22-2005, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

I did a search but didn't find the answer:

How should the protective glare screen be cleaned? My 5 year old has her fingerprints on it. I'm guessing you shouldn't spray Windex on it and wipe it clean?

AlbanyHDTV.com webmaster
post #648 of 2859 Old 01-22-2005, 10:23 AM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Just use a soft cotton cloth dampened with water. Never use windex. I saw at Futureshop here in Canada that Monster has some product for cleaning screens. Never tried it though.

PBC

Quote:

post #649 of 2859 Old 01-22-2005, 10:46 AM

Leave it to Monster to create yet another product that no one needs. I swear that company has meetings that must go something like this:

Monster Manager: Ok gang, we need to sell lots of product!
Monster Employees: But we make the same s**t everyone else does, only we charge 10x as much for it.
MM: Ok, then we need to convince everyone that our s**t is better! How about stuff to clean TV screens?
ME: You mean water? All you need is a damp cloth and...
MM: That's it!! We'll create a product that's BETTER than water!
ME: But sir, a damp cloth cleans the screen just fine. I can't imagine anything that would be 'better'.
MM: Well, it doesn't have to actually BE better. We just have to tell them it's better. And we'll sell a 4oz bottle for $29.95!! HAHA, suckers!
ME:

Ok, I'm not bitter....

Wap
post #650 of 2859 Old 01-22-2005, 09:26 PM

I'm curious about an issue I am having with my 46H84. I've noticed several times over the course of 2 months, my tv's picture has snapped on and off with a popping noise. This occurs when watching dvd's or broadcast television.

Also noticed a flicker when watching dvd's...really noticable when black bars are present. Bars will have a bluish tint during the flicker. Aslo noticed that flicker becomes more frequent shortly before the picture snaps off and back on.

I was told at another forum that this is normal for the first 200 hours of use? However, I have to read about any similiar issues at this forum/thread........So, is this a problem that needs a fix(have extended warranty) or will it go away once I get close to the 200 hour mark?
post #651 of 2859 Old 01-23-2005, 03:38 AM

^^ abudabu ^^
I have the same 46H84 set.. My set has done the exact same snap off which is very brief 3 times. I also read on another forum that it has to do with dust on the CRT's or a natural arching or the CRT's that goes away eventually. It happened a couple times one week but this last month it hasn't happened once! (Fingers crossed). But, I'm praying it does't happen anymore. My set is about 4 months old with 300+ hours. I don't recall some of the flickering your mentioning though. Good luck.

~46H84 Used for GAMING!, XBOX360, PC, PS3, HTPC, HDTV programming and movies occasionally. Favorite HD Channel:MOJO. 360&PS3 gaming goodness.~
post #652 of 2859 Old 01-23-2005, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

Couple notes:

First a question. On the 51h83, does the one touch focus adjust anything besides convergence, like the actual focus of the guns? I've been having issues with a soft picture on DVDs, and after hitting the button and doing a 9-point, I swear that it's sharper than just doind a 9-point. Am I making this up?

2- I uploaded a picture of my setup, per pittdog's request. I need to make it look a little nicer, but functionally, everything is measured and set. Not my speaker stands, best speaker stands ever designed.

3- If you are experiencing 60-cycle hum, check out the sticky FAQ at the top of the audio theory forum. I was able to identify the problem (hu went away when I disconnected the cable from the wall), but I haven't been able to "fix" it yet.

Listen to the Real HT Info Podcast at http://realht.info, including video reviews at my YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/realhtinfo/videos
post #653 of 2859 Old 01-23-2005, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

Just as a follow up on the remote, although it is an extremely minor issue. I got the Sony RM-AV3000 at a price I couldnt pass up. After programming, learning, and 'macroing' (I made that up, pretty good huh?) it works great. Everything I need it to do and more. Love the light up lcd touch screen no complaints, only jollies. BTW Eagles rule!
post #654 of 2859 Old 01-24-2005, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

2- I uploaded a picture of my setup, per pittdog's request.

Pics look great. How tall is your freakin' ceiling?!?!

post #655 of 2859 Old 01-24-2005, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by pittdog1
Pics look great. How tall is your freakin' ceiling?!?!

Aaah HA! I knew that tv looked too small, I was wondering why. Good call, but nice setup, interesting speakers, how do they sound?

BTW who watched the Eagles win? And who watched the beautiful CBS broadcast on their H83/84? jesus it looked unbelievable on my 46H84.
post #656 of 2859 Old 01-24-2005, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

BTW who watched the Eagles win? And who watched the beautiful CBS broadcast on their H83/84? jesus it looked unbelievable on my 46H84.

SSJ, I watched most of both games and CBS really does a great job on their games. I hope you won't be to disappointed though when the Patsy's win again. Not rooting for them really, lived in Mass. for a while, but they just look to good.

post #657 of 2859 Old 01-24-2005, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by AlbanyHDTV
How should the protective glare screen be cleaned? My 5 year old has her fingerprints on it. I'm guessing you shouldn't spray Windex on it and wipe it clean?

We've still got those infant washclothes that I use to clean my screen with. They're very soft and (hopefully) non-abrasive. That and water is all you should need.

On this subject, if you wear glasses you should know what I'm talking about, you can guy "eyeglass cleaning kits" that's nothing more than some "special" cleaning solution and a 3x3 cloth. I've used this on mine before with no problems. Has anyone else tried it ?? You can buy these things at Wal-Mart in their optical "stores" for just under $2.00. The bottle is refillable for free too !
post #658 of 2859 Old 01-24-2005, 03:05 PM

I watched the first game in HD but could'nt get CBS in HD for my second game through my Dish 811 receiver although my other 811 gets CBS and this does'nt!?!

I've had my 65H84 for about a week and I'm liking it alot. Watched Hockey and did'nt see the white line, so that's good. I'm thinking I should have went with a bigger screen though. Maybe the Mits' 70+ size. Oh well. Still very happy. Adjusted the setting with AVIA and looks a lot better. Hooked up my new 59AVi to it as well. WOW!. Can't wait for an ISF next month!

Thanks to this thread that made my decision.
post #659 of 2859 Old 01-24-2005, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by cissado
I watched the first game in HD but could'nt get CBS in HD for my second game through my Dish 811 receiver although my other 811 gets CBS and this does'nt!?!

I've had my 65H84 for about a week and I'm liking it alot. Watched Hockey and did'nt see the white line, so that's good. I'm thinking I should have went with a bigger screen though. Maybe the Mits' 70+ size. Oh well. Still very happy. Adjusted the setting with AVIA and looks a lot better. Hooked up my new 59AVi to it as well. WOW!. Can't wait for an ISF next month!

Thanks to this thread that made my decision.

Congrats on your set, Im sure all of us are happy that you made the right decision, btw where did you see hockey? Im on hockey withdrawl miss my flyers!

Quote:

Originally posted by pittdog1
SSJ, I watched most of both games and CBS really does a great job on their games. I hope you won't be to disappointed though when the Patsy's win again. Not rooting for them really, lived in Mass. for a while, but they just look to good.

Funny going from mediocre at best FOX, to top notch CBS footbal hd broadcast, flipping from each other through post game and pre game was astonishing. Anyway Yes I not expecting the eagles to win, Im just thrilled they finally got to it, first time in my lifetime. Anyway mathematically its a 50-50 chance right..... lol
post #660 of 2859 Old 01-24-2005, 03:22 PM

Not sure where I saw the Hockey. I'm not a follower but when I did see it (last weeks some time) I remembered people talking about Hockey and the white line issue, so I kept it on. The game was not regular teams, it was sorta like a "North/South" type thing or maybe even a recorded game. Sorry no more info. Watched 5 minutes.

Also, the Pats are a 7.5 point favorite I believe. So that's not a 50/50 chance. lol

I'd really like to ask this question again... My silver frame around the screen is loose at the top center. Is that normal? Is everyone's tight and in place? Mine pops in and out when I ush on it. I did'nt want to call Toshiba for a "small" complaint like that, but I think it moves the screen when I push it in and out of the top groove of the TV. Anyone?
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page