AVS Forum banner

Official Toshiba H83/H84 CRT Thread

464K views 3K replies 456 participants last post by  angel_negron 
#1 ·
Since I found several threads on the issues and that the 83 and 84 series are pretty much the same (except hmdi and the new user menu) I though it would be best if we combined them to get all of our issues discussed here.. Mods if this is not appropiate feel free to trash it!

I'll start - I am assuming I need to adjust contrast, brightness and the like for each input correct? What about convergence.. since the 84's have the 56 pt from the user menu does that effect all inputs across the board? I have yet to venture into the service mode - which I will soon - but for now I just want to get the brightness / contrast / color correct - Here is what I do - change to movie mode and then adjust from there then save. Right now my brightness is 42 and contrast is 39 - how does that compare with others?

thanks

jim

#177 ·
Try setting your color temp at medium. Warm is to red. Most people that have these sets have them set to medium. Also make sure that "Flesh Tone is turned off. I've got the 46H83 , and it is very natural looking. By the way, my color setting is at 56. And tint is -6. My colors look great. It's the warm temp setting that is giving you guys to much red. Hope this helped. Try it out and let me know what you think.These settings should be pretty close for HIGHDEF's set being almost identical to my own. Don't know how close they will be on yours faheem5 being that you have a 65".

#178 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by AlbanyHDTV
The local TWC just came out with the 8300HD DVR with an HDMI output.

I hooked the HDMI port to my DVI input (with the proper cable) and could not get a picture on my 57H83. Any ideas why?

Also, when watching a SD program on ESPN HD, the tops and bottoms of the "HD" letters in the side bars are cut off. Is this an overscan issue? How can I correct it?

Any help?

#179 ·
Great info on this thread. Esp pittdog.. I'm happy to report that my set was looking very nice while messing around on My XBOX yesterday morning. The colors look 20X better then with the defective unit I got and I don't get a green flash anymore when turning the set on or off. I managed to get a scene on a games demo video that was all white and I didn't see any sort of line down the middle so i think I'm good their..

I should have my DVE disk in the mail today for tuning. I'll been adjusting some settings and am very stoked to finally have another working HDTV set.. Hope it stays this way.

#180 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by AlbanyHDTV
Any help?

I just recently got the TW DVR box as well. Scientific Atlanta 8000HD. The DVI output on this box is not active yet. TW says it will be activated in the future via an over the cable software upgrade(they won't have to come to your house and do anything).

Thank you HIGHDEF.

The color temp on these sets seems to always look better on medium. When you get your DVE disc there is a pattern that contains Grey scale ramps. Blocks of black that fade to grey and on down to white. With that pattern on the screen , adjust your temp control from warm to cool to medium and see which looks most naturally grey. Low or Warm is supposed to be the closest setting on sets to 6500k or nuetral grey. But it just isn't the case with these sets. So, if you have it set to warm(low) it makes grey look kinda pink. That changes everything in the color settings to a little bit of a red hue. That's why the reds and flesh tones just look unnaturally red. The greyscale sets the tone for all the colors on the set.

Good luck and enjoy it. Hey, if you don't mind, PM me or post here with your settings after calibration just to see if these sets are all pretty close. Just a curiousity.

#181 ·
Do you guys think that it is worth having your set calibrated? That is something that I am really debating about my 46H84. I already did a 56 pt. convergence, corrected my geometry and overscan, and used DVE to get my settings right and the picture looks great. Much better than it did on my 42H83 and DVDs look as good as the HD does on the display model at Bestbuy. Would a calibration really make that much of a difference? I sure wish I could see a set that had been calibrated to know how much of a difference it would make.

#182 ·
I guess it depends on what you bought the set for. This was one of the best bang for the buck sets when i was looking for one in January and before. I bought it as a stop gap until the newer tech sets could catch up to CRT's and become close price wise. You've done pretty much the same things calibration wise that i've done on mine. I'm just as happy with my PQ as you seem to be. If i had it ISF'd, that would drive the cost of my set up quite a bit, thus defeating my reasoning for buying it. Howevr, if i were to have bought it as 4-8 year set, that would possibly change my mind. I'd say if you are very happy with the PQ on it then i would probably forego the ISF route. If for no other reason than cost of calibration to cost of this set. Just my thoughts and of course i could be totally off my rocker.

#183 ·
By the way, i saw your post about Yamaha speakers. I've got them (not the same ones you were asking about) in my system and am pretty happy with them. I've got them all the way around except for the sub. Click the "gallery" tab at the top of my post to see pics of my set-up and tell me what you think!

#185 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by pittdog1
Try setting your color temp at medium. Warm is to red. Most people that have these sets have them set to medium. Also make sure that "Flesh Tone is turned off. I've got the 46H83 , and it is very natural looking. By the way, my color setting is at 56. And tint is -6. My colors look great. It's the warm temp setting that is giving you guys to much red. Hope this helped. Try it out and let me know what you think.These settings should be pretty close for HIGHDEF's set being almost identical to my own. Don't know how close they will be on yours faheem5 being that you have a 65".

Thanks for the reply pittdog. I set the color temp to medium, and that seems to have cleared up the issue. I'm unsure as to whether the 57H84 has a flesh tone setting, as I am unable to find it in the standard menu. Would this be accessible only under the service menu? Also, do you have any advice about the red line curvature? It doesn't seem like my geometry is off, but I'd like to be able to know for certain. I am using DVE as a setup DVD.

#186 ·
I'm not sure about where or if there is a flesh tone control on the H84's or not. Somebody who has one will have to let you know. But if your reds look better now then it's probably a moot point. Have you done service menu 56pt. convergence yet? I know there is a 56 pt. one in the user menu but it is still crosses instead of a full grid. This will show you any distortions in your grid lines like what you and Faheem were seeing on the debates with the red lines. Have you put up the grid on your DVE disc to see if your geometry is off. If the lines do not appear wavy on the DVE pattern, then your geometry is fine and what you and Faheem saw could have been a result of something in the broadcast. Any other questions don't hesitate to PM me or post again here. Hope all this stuff helps!

#187 ·
I have a 65H84 Toshiba set and really really happy with it. No complaints whatsoever. PQ is excellent right out of the box, and watching DVD on it to me seems as though watching HD quality movie. It's that good! I haven't done any tweaking at all. The only thing I did was change the color, contrast all down to 50 and tint at 0. I don't have any calibration disk of any kind and plan on getting it.

The bad news is that I've lost the instruction/owner manual. Does anyone know I could get one downloaded from some website or could obtain one for a reasonable price somewhere? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

jbhungvt

#188 ·
Bought 57H84 yesterday to be delivered on Thursday.

Looks like retailers are making space for Christmas merchandise.

Got nice price (
Also ordered Toshiba's combo DVD player SD-V592

online for just over 200. It has HDMI output.

Add to that a vanilla HTIB from Onkyo and I have my first home theater.

Let the microdisplay war settle for me to go more high tech.

#191 ·
About my curved line issue, I had the tech come out and do the gemotry for me, and it helped quite a bit, he spend about 5 min, starighting much as he can, before he said this is enogh, and I showed him the next problem, the red push, I suggested to him that warm adds to much red even on things that are white, like clip with white walls, and so on. He said for starters good you are on medium, then I cranked the setting to around 45-50 as you guys have it, and everythign gets over saturated. Around 33-35 seems real good to me, not to much getting washed out and things looking sharp, and if i crank it to around 45 then faces become very unnatural and red. I checked with sunday football and today with MNF and CSI. Same thing so my settings are as follows:

Contrast: 48

Brightness: 39

Color: 33

Tint: 0

Sharpnes: 27

Temp: Medium

#196 ·
Does anybody know about using the 46H84 With their PC hooked up to it? I'm curious because right now I'm doing the full-on HTPC with my Radeon 9800 Video card going to my HDTV. Just picked up a cheap keyboard/optical mouse combo from Compusa to surf with. I noticed others are hooking their sets up to their PC's but a piece of paper that came with mine says it this:

Note: This TV is not intended for connection to and should not be used with a PC.. ????

I got it working both on S-video and Component from my PC but I'm using s-video now because the text is clearer. It's still a little blurry on the text side at 1024*768 but I haven't tried many tweaks. It sure is fun with the stereo hooked up and the Broad-Band kickin.

I also lowered my contrast/brightness to about 50/50 to try and avoid screen burn. Anyone know how long a stangnant image (TOOL BAR on bottom of windows) would take to burn? I don't want to damage my unit. Thanks for any info/experiece.

#197 ·
Try posting this same info in the HTPC forum.

#198 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by gorak7
That would be great, thanks. I need to make the decision by Friday, and it is really just down to 57" or 65".

Thanks again.

Gorak7,

10-11ft still look pretty good. I just got home today and measured it out 10 ft looks good, 11 ft looks good. I'm currently sitting 12ft away from the 65" TV. I told you 14ft before...well I lied. I measured again and it's 12ft. I think my wife moved the sofars on me.

Hope that helps.

I'd get the 65" TV if your room is proportion to the 65"

#201 ·
We have the Toshiba 65H84 and sit about 14 feet away. Only thing is that the brightness of the picture is such that you may have to re-light your viewing room. The set even when the brightness and contrast are adjusted still provides a very bright picture in a darkened room. Regardless you willl enjoy it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.