74/77 confirmation from Steve Panosian - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 145 Old 07-30-2004, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I e-mailed Steve Panosian, Director of Marketing for Digital Projection TV at Samsung Electronics America, and he confirmed the status of the HLP4674 and 5674... (He replied in 7 minutes! -Thanks Steve!)

My e-mail to Steve:

Steve,

I have heard many rumors regarding the new 74/77 Series DLP TV sets... The latest I've heard is:

"Due to various reasons, the HLP4674 and HLP5674 have been delayed again. Samsung is now looking at the beginning of October for their release. As for the 77 series, Samsung is now looking at 1Q 2005."

Is this information accurate? Could you confirm any of the 74/77 Series details, and possibly an updated MSRP?

Any information you can provide would be most appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Steve replied 7 minutes later with:

seen this before... it's correct.

yes.

Steve

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Short and simple, but this confirms it. The 74 Series will be released in early October. The 77 Series will be released in Q1 2005.

Steve didn't comment on the MSRP, but as I've stated in other threads, I'm guessing it will be around $3,800 for the 4674 and $4,300 for the 5674.

I've been waiting since May, I guess I'll wait a little longer... :rolleyes:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 145 Old 07-30-2004, 03:55 PM

Liked: 11
Thanks for the update. Saw the note by Neil but a confirmation is always nice. If you speak to him again can you see if the 93/4 or 97 series is still slated for Nov. Due to the hold up on Samsung's hd2+ chip I'm sure a lot of people are now debating waiting to see the xhd3 chip. What to do???
post #3 of 145 Old 07-30-2004, 04:18 PM

Nice work. Since it looks like the original HLP xx63 powerbuy will probably close soon, should we get another thread going specifically regarding powerbuy interest in the xx74s? I'd be in for a 5674.
post #4 of 145 Old 07-30-2004, 04:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally posted by Administrator
I've been waiting since May, I guess I'll wait a little longer... :rolleyes:
Try May ....... 2002. :rolleyes:

I've confirmed that my HLP5063 upgrade option is still good in October so I hope Samsung is using the time wisely. :rolleyes:

I have a bad feeling that the we will be lucky to see a Samsung demo of the xHD3 1080p set in November at the Home Entertainment Expo. It seems like their product development people may be stretched thin.
post #5 of 145 Old 07-30-2004, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, 2002 :)

You're right, we've been waiting longer then May... I guess I said May because that's when they were first supposed to be released, and that's when I expected to buy a 74 Series... Then delay, delay, delay, and more delay... I'll keep waiting I guess... :rolleyes:
post #6 of 145 Old 07-31-2004, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I knew something wasn't right with the original 74 series timing when at the NYC HE show in May the Samsung people (including Steve IIRC) were really pushing the HD3 and suggesting people not wait around for the HD2+. I was definitely going to wait for the HD2+ at the time but liked what I saw in the HD3 and suspected I would be waiting well past September. Now am pretty happy I pulled the trigger almost 2 months ago and have been enjoying my set for a while now.

As for the xHD3 - I would be shocked if you see anything more than a demo (which existed in May mind you) sometime this year.

Unfortunately (or fortunately I guess) Samsung is going to have their hands full competing with Toshiba and Mistubishi (and Panasonic if they ever get their acts together).

Hang in there. It's definitely worth waiting to get the set you want.
post #7 of 145 Old 07-31-2004, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EricScott

Unfortunately (or fortunately I guess) Samsung is going to have their hands full competing with Toshiba and Mistubishi (and Panasonic if they ever get their acts together).

Hang in there. It's definitely worth waiting to get the set you want. [/b]
Agreed. i've been waiting for the HD2+ sets to come out before buying. With this delay, looks like Samsung has lost any chance for my money.
post #8 of 145 Old 07-31-2004, 04:59 PM
pjr

It makes you wonder with Samsung the undisputed leader all along for DLP, what are they doing? Several others out with 2+ sets out and all they have is the kirk, which does not appeal to alot of people. Why should it take them so long to get out the tabletop version. I am starting to get nervous.
post #9 of 145 Old 07-31-2004, 05:34 PM

Quote:
It makes you wonder with Samsung the undisputed leader all along for DLP, what are they doing? Several others out with 2+ sets out
That's the point- why not look at other brands now that have the 2+?
post #10 of 145 Old 07-31-2004, 06:41 PM

What's the difference between the HLPxx74s and HLPxx77s? Thanks in advance!
post #11 of 145 Old 07-31-2004, 06:44 PM

The 77 has an integrated tuner and a cablecard slot, the 74 does not.
post #12 of 145 Old 07-31-2004, 06:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally posted by Naidu
What's the difference between the HLPxx74s and HLPxx77s? Thanks in advance!
HD OTA/QAM tuner and Cable Card.
post #13 of 145 Old 07-31-2004, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jdiff
The 77 has an integrated tuner and a cablecard slot, the 74 does not.
Thanks, jdiff. Add later: Thanks, htwaits.

Interesting.

Didn't Samsung announce around the time of the NYC HomeEntExpo (May 2004) that all the HD2+ models will come with tuners and cablecard slots? This was after announcing at the Jan 2004 Las Vegas show that there will be 74s and 77s! Seems like Samsung it re-jigging their product mix as they go along -- no doubt in response to competition. While that is generally a good thing, all this to-ing and fro-ing also shows a certain lack of confidence in their plans. In their defense they are going up against some well established consumer electronics brands -- Mitsubishi, Toshiba, etc., after having the DLP RPTV market almost to themselves. Also, what about their contention that they have to release all HD2+ models with tuners to comply with the FCC mandate?

I too felt at the time of the NYC show that they were pushing their HD3 models a little too hard when I kept pushing for info on their HD2+ models.

-Naidu

PS: I'm asking these questions more rhetorically. Not really expecting an answer from Samsung.
post #14 of 145 Old 07-31-2004, 07:00 PM

I am now officially no longer considering a Samsung HD2+ model, after waiting patiently since late last year for them to hit the market. It'll come down to DLP HD2+ -- Toshiba, Panasonic or Mits -- or JVC D-ILA. The Sammy HD3 will remain a possibility only if the others disappoint.

Now I've just gotta change my screen name...maybe to 'burnedbySammy.'
post #15 of 145 Old 07-31-2004, 07:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally posted by cmonsammy
Now I've just gotta change my screen name...maybe to 'burnedbySammy.'
Cute. :rolleyes:
post #16 of 145 Old 07-31-2004, 07:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally posted by Naidu
Seems like Samsung it re-jigging their product mix as they go along ...
I know you don't expect an answer but here is one anyway. :D

My impression is that Samsung has been constantly retooling from day one with the first HLM sets. I won't go into all the changes (I couldn't remember them all if I tried.) they have made on the fly but it seems like a lot.

I think you have the sequence of events right as far as the "74"/"77" changes of plans.

I don't think anyone outside of the powers at Samsung knows what caused the flip flop flip. Steve Panosian didn't drop any clues and ftlee no longer seems to be reporting anything from his contact.

My theory is that by doing the HD3, HD2+ (including a pedestal model) and also working on the xHD3 chip all at the same time they may have over extended their product development resources.

That may have led to the current pull back from built in tuners for all table top HD2+ sets. But it also means that they were not gearing up to produce HDxx74 sets until they took their last decision.

Samsung has about a month to produce the HDxx74 sets and get them onto the docks in sufficient numbers to stock their retail outlets in October.

Into this mix you've got Mitsubishi and Toshiba with nice sets but issues unrelated to PQ that turn off some customers. It will be interesting to see if any problems crop up as they and JVC get a reasonable number of sets into customer's hands. Then there is Panasonic and Hitachi who are still no shows with LG just shipping HD2+ sets to Canada.

There are bound to be surprises like the report that the LG requires a special plug in unit to make SM type adjustments. That may lock out ISF calibrators.

It's going to be "gotcha heaven" for a while. ;)

We are having fun. Right?
post #17 of 145 Old 07-31-2004, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

I was originally on the bandwagon for a 74/77 series but pulled the trigger on a 56" 63 series. Talking with a friend today confirmed that our cable company provides an HD cable box at no additional cost over a regular digital box. He said he gets all the locals in HD except for ABC. Only problem there is Monday night football I guess. I was going to get an HD tuner card for my home theater PC but will be holding off until ATI releases their card and some more reviews come out.
Also in seeing the HD3's I really like the picture quality especially the softness vs the old HLN HD2 chip. I suspect that the HD2+ will have that same sharpness which isn't appealing to my eyes (everyone is different). I seem to prefer the HD3 chip. Now my only fear is the reliability of the set.
post #18 of 145 Old 08-01-2004, 11:19 AM

Isn't ATI's HDTV tuner card already out? ATI's website says "Now Shipping" and you can order it from them, so if it isn't in the stores yet it should be really soon. You can probably get ABC HD that way with an antenna, right?
There are several reviews of the ATI HDTV card, they seem to agree that the hardware is quite good, and the software is the part that is lacking somewhat, that the HDTV portion of the software isn't as integrated into the whole suite as it should be.
Here's a link to a recent review:
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1615498,00.asp

I plan to get one of the ATI cards too, and probably use BeyondTV instead of ATI's software. I do not know if BeyondTV will be compatible with the ATI's HD tuner though, maybe I'll need to wait for a new version of the software.

Edit: Looks like ATI's card is indeed shipping. Also I contacted Snapstream about BeyondTV compatibility with the ATI HDTV Wonder and was told that they don't support any HDTV tuner cards at the moment but support is planned in a future release.
post #19 of 145 Old 08-02-2004, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 13
That's too bad...The only thing I'm waiting for is an integrated HD tuner. I'm fairly satisfied with the PQ on either HD3 or HD2+. I haven't seen the Sammy 85 series yet but spent some time looking at a 52" Tosh this weekend (sandwiched between an LG and HLP) and the colors were considerably deeper and more saturated...made the others look a little washed out in comparison (but looked very good each on their own). I'm not rushing to pick up a set, but I can't imaging waiting till Q1 2005 for a Samsung...and not even knowing for sure if it'll actually be ready then or not. It could even be March before they ship and still stick to the timeline :rolleyes: Now that I know not to hold my breath for the Sammy, I'll likely pick something up in the early fall...maybe a Columbus Day sale.
post #20 of 145 Old 08-02-2004, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

glad to hear this b/c someone said 74 model is dead, now glad to hear it's still alive! :)
I want the tabletop HD2+ w/o ATSC tuner nor CableCARD.

Quote:
Originally posted by Administrator

The 74 Series will be released in early October. I'm guessing it will be around $3,800 for the 4674 and $4,300 for the 5674.
post #21 of 145 Old 08-02-2004, 08:51 AM
tjk
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
In the interest of full disclosure, I sent this PM to Administrator:

You seem to be able to get quick responses from Steve (which I really appreciate). However, his answers are pretty vague. I (and I'm sure a lot of others) would like to know how confident he is in the early October release date, what is the issue holding it up, are they already in production, etc.

I would love to send him a link to the latest thread (the one titled "74/77 confirmation from Steve Panosian." As director of marketing, I'm sure he would be interested to know that the lack of reliable information from Samsung is causing people (myself included) to begin to look elsewhere (not to mention the near 50% dissatisfaction rate with the HD3 sets). If I (and a lot of others, I suspect) could count on October, perhaps we could wait. In this thread alone I count 10 people, or $30,000, of lost sales if thed HD2+ information isn't better. Multiply that by the hundreds all over this board, and the increased competition from more established big screen names, and I think it would be in his best interest to give this board a little more "inside information."

Just my $.02. Thanks.

I appreciate the little information we do get, but it's time consumers started demanding a little more from electronics companies. Look what has happened to the automobile industry. You can find out almost everything you want to know about current and future models, including features, pricing, and release dates because consumers started to demand that information, and now we get it at the same time as the dealers. Yet, when it comes to electronics, we seem to allow ourselves to be at the mercy of what these companies want and don't want us to know. It's time we started to demand more.

That being said, I'm looking at the LG set this weekend.

tjk
post #22 of 145 Old 08-02-2004, 09:24 PM

Just curious. At one time we were waiting for an announcment from Sammy about the 74/77. Was there ever anything official released or just the email from Steve. Just not sure if I can hold off for a 5674 till Oct -- might feel a little better if I knew it was more real than just a post on here. (nothing personal to anyone here of course)!!!
post #23 of 145 Old 08-03-2004, 07:34 AM

There is a PDF floating around that has the full line up including the 74 model, nothing on it about a 77 model though.

Dollars to Doughnuts, my dollars are still leaning heavily towards the 56" Captain!

It doesn't mean that much to me to mean that much to you.
-- Neil Young
post #24 of 145 Old 08-03-2004, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Dyltone
There is a PDF floating around that has the full line up including the 74 model, nothing on it about a 77 model though.
Are you talking about this one?

http://www.digiupdate.com/Downloads/...ure_Prelim.pdf
post #25 of 145 Old 08-03-2004, 08:30 AM

Too bad the pdf was not accurate -- "May 2004"!! :(

So does everyone have a high level of confidence about early Oct??
post #26 of 145 Old 08-03-2004, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

That was a preliminary brochure... I'm pretty confident about early October, that's why I'm continuing to wait.
post #27 of 145 Old 08-03-2004, 11:40 AM

Yeah, that's the pdf i was referring to. I'm in no rush other than I have the cash and want to spend it type thing. I'm sure the longer I wait, the more things will come up and deplete the $$. I'm actually moving in to my first house in 2 weeks and this is my house warming gift to myself. Hopefully I won't regret moving in to this house an spending all my $$ on a TV then the AC or something break that same week ;)

It doesn't mean that much to me to mean that much to you.
-- Neil Young
post #28 of 145 Old 08-03-2004, 03:58 PM

I am definitely now going to wait for the 4674. I've waited this long, and almost jumped on the HLP4663/5063 but have been a bit concerned about several issues, especially the ps2 sync issue as well as the fact that it has an HD3 chip.

I would assume that the 4674 would go for around $3400 retail.
post #29 of 145 Old 08-03-2004, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Not in the slightest...I just can't believe anything from Samsung until i see it from now on :rolleyes:

I might nopt buy till October anyway, but it certainly won't be because I'm waiting on the 74.

Quote:
Originally posted by BosoxDanJ

So does everyone have a high level of confidence about early Oct??
post #30 of 145 Old 08-03-2004, 09:42 PM

Perhaps this question has already been asked, but why will it take Samsung until October to deliver a 74 unit that in my simple way of thinking is the same as the kirk model but w/out the base?

What's so different about the 74 model units that they aren't out till October but the Kirks are out today.

Thanks
Closed Thread Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page