TV Stand Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 876 Old 10-22-2004, 10:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This might be an option for those looking for a stand that supports a TV needing a 58" base. The stand is a Tech Craft model PTV582 three glass shelf design of which the center shelf can be raised or lowered about 1-1/2". The top shelf is listed as supporting 250 lbs. Dimensions of the stand are 58" W X 20" H X 20" D and the stand is fairly heavy. Cost of the stand at my local CC store was $299.99. I have only seen the Tech Craft model PTV582 at the local CC chain of stores.

I have a picture of the stand with the TV and accessories shown in my Gallery if you are interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 876 Old 10-23-2004, 10:22 AM
pjr

Ockham,
In your last post here you were painting the IKEA OPPLI stand and were going to get back to us with pictures and details. I want to know how the paint job went and what you used. Hope to hear soon.
post #363 of 876 Old 10-23-2004, 01:14 PM

Liked: 16
Fish...

Quote:
Originally posted by fisheggs
Does anyone have any anecdotes abt NOT using a stand? (before it arrived, etc.)Sitting on a low couch abt 10 ft away, does PQ suffer? Imagine the old console models For ascetic reasons I have a 38"H X 54"W X thinner the better, but no greater than 20" dimensional requirements. Oh, and I'm cheap! ( but at least i'm easy!)

Actually, what I intend to do is get the set and set it up on a series of 3 milk crates with an assortment of boards to adjust the height. Then we'll sit in the sofa and side chair and see what the optimum center of the picture is for me and my wife. Once we figure out what the height is, I'll build the stand to a finished height that is the same as our test bench. Iceblade made a point... all people are not built alike. I'm only 5-10 but my legs are long so my "eye height" might be different than someone built like him (long-waisted).

So if you're really cheap then you could probably get by with three black crates and a 60" X 18" black laminate shelf you'd buy at HD or Lowes. Another alternative is to use bricks between two similar shelves and BAM! you have a place for your components under the set. Weight support is not an issue with either of these. A single milk crate will easily support 300 pounds upside down.

Mike

Iron Horse

If God had intended man to watch TV 24/7, he would have given him rabbit ears Â
post #364 of 876 Old 10-23-2004, 04:53 PM

What about the Ikea Magiker stand? Has anybody tried this unit? It can hold more weight, is plenty large enough for the 46" Samsung, and has several component shelves.
post #365 of 876 Old 10-23-2004, 05:27 PM

Quote:
What else do you have going on the stand? For me, my Yamaha 2400 receiver weighs 32 lbs, so right there I'm over the limit for the Oppli witha 52725 Mits.

I think what i will do is remove the casters then put my yamaha on the bottom, this way the added weight of the Yamaha does not matter, plus i think i will add some L-brackets for added support. I might even just add some support to the center walls with some extra black shelfs i have since i am getting the black stand.
post #366 of 876 Old 10-23-2004, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by IronHorse

So if you're really cheap then you could probably get by with three black crates and a 60" X 18" black laminate shelf you'd buy at HD or Lowes. Another alternative is to use bricks between two similar shelves and BAM! you have a place for your components under the set. Weight support is not an issue with either of these. A single milk crate will easily support 300 pounds upside down.

LOL... how about a pulley system anchored to the ceiling? If you have tall guests over to watch the game you can unhook the rope from the wall and hoist the TV up a few inches?
post #367 of 876 Old 10-24-2004, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by veets
I have been looking for a cabinet to house my 50" Sammy HLP. Hooker Furniture has a new line of entertainment centers made especially for DLP/LCD RP TVs. The inside width is 57" which would also hold a TV with side speakers (Panny and Tosh DLPs) or a 56" Sammy. See dimension sheet below. Two of the styles are shown here:

[Links removed since I'm still in 'lurker' status...]

This is the first cabinet I have seen with the TV shelf at 18" above the floor, which puts the center of the screen right at eye level from my couch. There are 2 equipment shelves below the TV. At around $2K these cabinets cost nearly as much as the TV (Got to satisfy the WAF ). Has anyone seen any similar cabinets from other manufacturers?

Veets,

Have you purchased this one yet? Can you give me a model number? The only one I can find looks almost exactly like this from Hooker, but is only 42" inside...

I'm hopeful that I can get the 55" Sony GW IV that I want to fit! The WAF demands a cabinet that is 'enclosed...'

Also, the link to the interior picture is dead.

THANKS!
post #368 of 876 Old 10-25-2004, 06:40 PM

JPM...

Now see... I can make something out of that. OK, let's build a 3" thick by 55" wide by 24" deep Rosewood platform and suspend it from the celing with stainless eye-bolts and four (4) stainless steel braided cables (fishing/boating equipment) that are rated at 400# test. Wouldn't that look sweet? Only problem is you have to find a nice clean way to cable into the back of the set. But a floating 52" DLP... wow!

Quote:

Originally posted by jpm121
LOL... how about a pulley system anchored to the ceiling? If you have tall guests over to watch the game you can unhook the rope from the wall and hoist the TV up a few inches?

Capt Mike

Iron Horse

post #369 of 876 Old 10-28-2004, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I've had some requests for info on who made my stand so I have added that info. I will see about getting a few more pics.

Quote:
Originally posted by Barrybud
I liked the Salamander triple, but no way was I going to drop 4 figures on MDF and laminates. So I had a local furniture maker quote me on something similar. He came in just over half of what they wanted. Its hand made, mostly cherry with a natural finish coated with linseed oil and it will darken with age. That has already started. It nice to support local business too. This was the 56" DLP on it

Here is a link to the carpenters site.

http://www.trestlecreekwoodworking.com/

LL

Quick Reference of Forum Rules
1) Do Not post pricing you found on-line or at a local dealer UNLESS IN A DEALS THREAD.
2) Do Not ask for, or offer, a receipt so people can price match.
3) Do Not say to "Call John Smith at ..." (you know what I mean)
4) Do Not put down someone else's choice in...

post #370 of 876 Old 10-28-2004, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Barry, whats the dimensions to your stand? Looks nice
post #371 of 876 Old 10-28-2004, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Hey sub,

It 60X22x20 (W-H-D) The 22 was to keep it below the windows behind it.

Quick Reference of Forum Rules
1) Do Not post pricing you found on-line or at a local dealer UNLESS IN A DEALS THREAD.
2) Do Not ask for, or offer, a receipt so people can price match.
3) Do Not say to "Call John Smith at ..." (you know what I mean)
4) Do Not put down someone else's choice in...

post #372 of 876 Old 10-28-2004, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

20" deep, thats perfect for me. I could even go for 18 or 19" deep.

Does your DLP tv completely stay on the stand? What I mean is: does the back portion or even the part where the in/outputs are located, do they hang off the edge? Leaving the base of the DLP tv still completely on top of the stand.

Because I have a 32" tube tv right now and I am able to hang the back part of the tv off by about 2 or 3 inches (with the base completely on the stand) but have the butt end of the tv lean against the back wall for more support.
post #373 of 876 Old 10-28-2004, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I was all set to purchase the Oppli stand from Ikea ... but the shipping charge cost the same as the stand or more

Any suggestions? I live in the atlanta, GA area and there are no stores near by. One is set to be available in this area sometimes in summer 2005.
post #374 of 876 Old 10-28-2004, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RudyMeister
I was all set to purchase the Oppli stand from Ikea ... but the shipping charge cost the same as the stand or more

Any suggestions? I live in the atlanta, GA area and there are no stores near by. One is set to be available in this area sometimes in summer 2005.

You and I share the same problem. Those living near an IKEA don't know how good they have it!

I settled on the Bush V-something or other. It's the one with three top draws, and two front doors, with an open section in the middle. It's for my 52" Mit's DLP. I will post pictuers once it is all put together (wont be here for another week though). It's about 60" wide, which is a downer, but it is the color I want, and the price was $355. I couldn't see paying more than $500 for the barely-there Bello stands.
post #375 of 876 Old 10-28-2004, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RudyMeister

what tv do you plan on putting on top of the Oppli?
post #376 of 876 Old 10-28-2004, 04:47 PM

These might make for some interesting alternatives for a TV stand. I saw a different one in the store that might work for a 50 inch or smaller. It is not on the website but I did get the information, model number d30dfd150 dimensions: 36" wx23"dx59"h. The only reason I say it may not work for anything larger than a 50 inch is the upper adjustable shelf's greatest distance from the TV support is 38 inches. It has one fixed shelf which the TV sits on (18 inches high, perfect for a 61 inch) and two adjustable shelves, one above (center channel support?) and one below (reciever?). My 61 inch Samsung has a total height of 41.5 inches and the center channel will partially be hidden behind the TV. Plus my center channel weighs about 75 pounds and is 3 feet long. So the search continues...........

http://www.plummersfurniture.com/?pa...7120f02c136ddd

http://www.plummersfurniture.com/?pa...e4170de92e9649

Hope this helps someone.
post #377 of 876 Old 10-28-2004, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BB_Mike
You and I share the same problem. Those living near an IKEA don't know how good they have it!

LOL... I suppose that's true for some folks -- but I guarantee that if I ever come unhinged and decide to warp out and start plinking people with a rifle, it's going to happen in the parking lot of Ikea. For some reason people leave their brains at home and forget how to drive when they see the big blue building.

I don't even shop there anymore.
post #378 of 876 Old 10-28-2004, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by subwoofer
what tv do you plan on putting on top of the Oppli?

I've been leanng toward the Panny PT50dl54 or even the Tosh 46HM84. Both are DLP sets size vary from 53" to 56" wide.

There are a couple of other cabinets that would work well but they're too expensive, over $1K each. So I figure for now, if I can get the Oppli, it would be great temporary solution.... or even a permanent solution at that.
post #379 of 876 Old 10-28-2004, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

To have the Oppli shipped to my house, the price would jump from $100 to somewhere in the low $200.

Without having seen it in person yet, for $200 plus, is this stand worth this price? I feel kinda stupid paying twice for it.
However, the color and dimension is very ideal ...
post #380 of 876 Old 10-29-2004, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Jeez, why not get someone here to buy it for you and ship it to your address? I can't imagine shipping on that table costing more than $50, even though it might weigh a little bit. Or check ebay
post #381 of 876 Old 10-29-2004, 02:09 PM

Not sure if this is on topic for this thread, but I was looking at the Sony SU-GW12 stand for an XS55 and only the bottom shelf seems large enough to fit my center channel (thus putting it 1 1/2" off the floor). Anyone else have reservations about locating the speaker so close to the ground (and also then an additional 10" below the TV base)? Seems to me would not be good for accoustics, or am I wrong?
post #382 of 876 Old 10-29-2004, 04:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have same stand, it is aesthatically great, looks like integrated part of TV! But functionally not very accomodating!! I will hate to stuff my central channel in there and get it choked!

Life is not easy always!
post #383 of 876 Old 10-29-2004, 06:48 PM

Here's a stand I picked up at Ikea a couple of days ago for well under a hundred bucks (Canadian). The Sony stand for the 42WE655 would have been way too expensive for me. (sorry about the camera flash)
LL
post #384 of 876 Old 10-31-2004, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by 3mar67
Here's a stand I picked up at Ikea a couple of days ago for well under a hundred bucks (Canadian). The Sony stand for the 42WE655 would have been way too expensive for me. (sorry about the camera flash)

what are the dimensions?
post #385 of 876 Old 10-31-2004, 02:19 PM

Bush Industries VS44150-03 stand. 59.12" wide x 19.88" high x 17.75" deep with two shelves. MSRP is $300 or $400, don't know for sure as I haven't seen it in stores yet - it is a very new model. I ordered and received mine though, but haven't assembled it yet.

Should work very well for 50" - 60" TVs. Slightly higher than the Sony stands, but enough room for two decent sized shelves.

http://www.bushindustries.com/PressR...Mist_hires.jpg
post #386 of 876 Old 10-31-2004, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

^thank you thank you thank you! DrHollen, I think I can go with a stand like that, finally! I've been looking for a decent stand like that and that is it. I needed something that was fairly good looking and thin. At about 18" deep, this will hold the biggest of HDTVs (the Mits 52725) and can hold about 4 or so components. Let me know how contructions goes and what kind of tv do you plan on putting on top of that stand? Post some digital pictures if you have them.
post #387 of 876 Old 10-31-2004, 07:58 PM

The dimensions of the Ikea Stormark stand are: 40" wide, 19" high and 23" deep.
LL
post #388 of 876 Old 11-01-2004, 05:02 PM

I just received my TR63 stand for my 50" Samsung DLP.

The stand is well engineered. The assembly is simple and because of the placement of screw holes on the various piece, it can't really be assembled improperly.

However, the last step is to insert the two rectangular glass shelves into place where they rest on the diagonal struts of the metal frame work. I was unable to get them to fit. The available dimension on the stand is 14.75 inches (front to back) as determined by the distance between the front, vertical struts of the metal frame and the front wall of the wire management cabinet. The glass shelves are 15.5 inches. This seems like a design flaw or they packaged the wrong shelves with this unit.

Does anyone else have this stand? If so, what is the width of your shelves? Did they fit in your stand? If not, what did you do?
post #389 of 876 Old 11-01-2004, 06:40 PM

Here is my Sony 55WF on Bush TV Stand from BB.
LL
post #390 of 876 Old 11-01-2004, 07:03 PM

Has anyone here bought/seen this stand? I happened to be in CC today and they had a floor sample available for $149.00. I'm not partial to open stands, but it looks pretty sturdy, stylish, and even has a wire management system which many open stands don't have.

Capt Mike
LL

Iron Horse

Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page