Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Fedreams
Here is a sale on the Salamander redline model

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...ALRS3211&loc=4

Fedreams, Thanks! for the post.

The Salamander Triple 20 is listed at $*** ...versus $1200 MSRP on most other places.

Ummm but I don' know how much they would charge for shipping though...Still, it's cheaper here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 876 Old 11-17-2004, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
uummm flase alarm their price do not include some options...but it seems like $100 cheaper
post #453 of 876 Old 11-17-2004, 07:46 AM

Your local Tweeter can order you Salamander products. They have a triple 20 in their catalog for $1199, but you should be able to negotiate 25% off that price, so $900 plus tax for one fully loaded with doors, sides, the whole works. I beleive they stock the cherry wood color, give em a call.

I Golf
post #454 of 876 Old 11-18-2004, 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Geckotek
Allenn, did you photoshop that? I'd like to check out the stand I intend on buying that way, but alas I have not the talent. Did it take much work?

Darn, you found me out. I thought my picture looked pretty good. I used Elements 2.0 to combine the stand and the HLN5065WX. I use Elements a lot, so it was a quicky for me. Send me a web ready photo of the proposed stand and TV, and I will put them together for you. Send pics to info@frankiesilver.com.

The stand and dlp set are part of our Bob Timberlake entertainment center as pictured in this example:

Have a great day!

AllenN
post #455 of 876 Old 11-18-2004, 06:13 PM

Ouch! The mashed up perspectives in that pic hurt my eyes! heh

Hooked On Phonics Worked For Me!
post #456 of 876 Old 11-19-2004, 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Pahonix
Ouch! The mashed up perspectives in that pic hurt my eyes! heh

Sorry it does not meet with your approval. If you don't like the photo, fix it to your liking! I was trying to share with others the TV stand I used for our HLN5065WX.

Have a great day!

AllenN
post #457 of 876 Old 11-24-2004, 05:23 AM

Man! I thought choosing a TV would be hard, but it's nothing compared with finding something to put it on. If I'm seated and I want my eyes mid-way up a 46" Samsung DLP, I need something that's 20-22" high. I want glass doors, I'd prefer upper/lower shelves, three across, not made of particle board. Width should be about 53": 43 for the TV + 2x5" for the L/R speakers.

These are close, and may be right for you, but not for me.

This one's too high:
http://www.hookerfurniture.com/catal...tem=545-55-165

This one has no doors:
http://www.drexelheritage.com/collec...em.asp?id=2469

This one might do, without the stupid metal legs:
http://www.ethanallen.com/jsp/univer...4&subSelect=1#

So close, and yet, so what? AAARRRGGGHHH!
post #458 of 876 Old 11-24-2004, 05:47 AM

Check out this thread...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=470259

I am looking for basically the same thing you are, no one made it, so my neighbor is building it for me. You might just want to build your own, you would be surprised how inexpensive it really is.

I Golf
post #459 of 876 Old 11-24-2004, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by the crane
Check out this thread...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=470259

I am looking for basically the same thing you are, no one made it, so my neighbor is building it for me. You might just want to build your own, you would be surprised how inexpensive it really is.

I don't have the skills and knowledge to do such thing
post #460 of 876 Old 11-24-2004, 07:05 AM

Hire someone like I did...I am going to pay $300 for mine including wood as compared to $900 from Tweeter. Most construction workers could do the job for you, I would think.

I Golf
post #461 of 876 Old 11-24-2004, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by the crane
Hire someone like I did...I am going to pay $300 for mine including wood as compared to $900 from Tweeter. Most construction workers could do the job for you, I would think.

Well then, I guess it's just a matter of getting the right design and make sure the materials will allow it to look good.

Though I think it would hard to reproduce something that looks as professional and as good as the Salamander cabinet. It has quite a bit of details.
post #462 of 876 Old 11-24-2004, 07:23 AM

Rudy, in that thread I posted before there are a number of designs shown and of course you can do what ever you like. But the Salamander design isn't that complicated. The one I am having made is basically the same thing, with out the aluminum posts. Plus it is the size I need for my components and center channel. It might not be exactly what the Salamander is, but I guarantee it will be better quality and exactly the dimensions you want/need. Take it for what it's worth.

I Golf
post #463 of 876 Old 11-24-2004, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Crane, you're right in that the design are not complicated. But what makes the like of Salamander looks good is the little attention to details.

i.e. the aluminum post in a contrasting color, the rail, the perforated metal door cover/panel, the silver steel feet etc..

They seem to be proprietary created parts though...
post #464 of 876 Old 11-24-2004, 08:03 AM

If it makes that much difference just buy the Salamander. It sounds like that is exactly what you want.

A couple weeks ago Tweeter had 25% off all furniture and I know they can special order. I am sure they will still honor that price.

I Golf
post #465 of 876 Old 11-24-2004, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

How bout this stand with matching bookcases from bushfurnitureonline.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...058&fullpage=1
post #466 of 876 Old 11-24-2004, 05:31 PM

That Bush stand looks perfect, and at $300 or so would be ideal, if it were only made out of wood. Sadly, it's maple laminate over particle board.

I've almost decided to throw $99 at an Ikea Oppli, and live with it until something closer to what I want shows up. [Unless I can sell the family on a couple of milk crates and a plank.]

Crane, I'm subscribed to the BYO thread, thanks. I'm reading it with envy: I have no access to the tools, though I built a very nice stereo cabinet years ago in college in their woodshop. I think I'm handy enough to do it, but haven't the time or equipment. :-(
post #467 of 876 Old 11-25-2004, 07:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 99
StevenZ; didn't you know, a woodshop and electronics bench were required for HDTV? BTW, I like your title........

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #468 of 876 Old 11-25-2004, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

I'm in the final steps of buying a Sony 60XS955 and am preparing a place for it.

I prefer to have my TV up a bit higher than the normal 58"-60" TV stands (most seem to be 17" to 20"). Mostly it's so when I recline back in my chair, my feet don't get in theway of the screen.

Tech Craft has a nice Monaco stand (PTV48) that is the right hieght (23.75") to put the bottom of my screen around 32-33". But, since it's a 48" stand, my TV will overhang the side by about 10" on each side.

The spot I am putting the TV isn't high traffic and I will put a safty strap to keep it from falling off.

Will this look odd or be unsafe?

It seems the 68" wide 60XS955 will be wider than the bigger tv stands anyway (most seem to be 58-60" wide) and I'm not wasting the money on Sony's overpriced matching stand.
post #469 of 876 Old 11-25-2004, 09:20 AM

Quote:

I've almost decided to throw $99 at an Ikea Oppli,

I keep seeing this suggested. Just be careful . . . the weight limit on the Oppli is only 154 lbs. My 62725 is 168lbs and my receiver is almost 50 lbs.

Seems to me the Oppli is quite easily overtaxed from a weight perspective, given that its dimensions perfectly suit 52" and above.
post #470 of 876 Old 11-29-2004, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:

Originally posted by StevenZ
Man! I thought choosing a TV would be hard, but it's nothing compared with finding something to put it on. If I'm seated and I want my eyes mid-way up a 46" Samsung DLP, I need something that's 20-22" high. I want glass doors, I'd prefer upper/lower shelves, three across, not made of particle board. Width should be about 53": 43 for the TV + 2x5" for the L/R speakers.

These are close, and may be right for you, but not for me.

This one's too high:
http://www.hookerfurniture.com/catal...tem=545-55-165

I ended up going with the Hooker piece. It does sit a little high for a 61" tv, but it beats anything else I could find. I spent a few months looking and got tired of looking at the TV on the floor. So I think the initial height shock was just because I had watched it on the floor for so long. I've become accustomed to it now after a few days of viewing. I thought about cutting the legs down by about 5", but I'm contemplating adding some more pieces that match the set and would allow me to hide the side speakers and add a nice look to the room. Quite expensive, but I think it's a piece that will add flare and be with me for a long time.

post #471 of 876 Old 11-29-2004, 11:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by mcascio
I ended up going with the Hooker piece. It does sit a little high for a 61" tv, but it beats anything else I could find. I spent a few months looking and got tired of looking at the TV on the floor. So I think the initial height shock was just because I had watched it on the floor for so long. I've become accustomed to it now after a few days of viewing. I thought about cutting the legs down by about 5", but I'm contemplating adding some more pieces that match the set and would allow me to hide the side speakers and add a nice look to the room. Quite expensive, but I think it's a piece that will add flare and be with me for a long time.

Bingo!

That's perfect for my living room. It even closly matches my coffee and end tables.

The description on Hooker's site says "Hardwood Solids with Cherry Veneers". What part is the veneer? Probably just the top?

Dare I ask how much is that going for?

BTW, it would seem easy to shorten that console if it's too high... just knock a couple inches off the legs to get it exactly the right height.
post #472 of 876 Old 11-30-2004, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

post #473 of 876 Old 11-30-2004, 07:12 AM

I've been following this thread, and like many of you, wanted to get something with a wood look that didn't cost a lot. At Jordan's Furniture (only in MA and NH), I found this (this is my first post, so it won't allow me to put in the full URL, but add h t t p : / / w w w . j o r d a n s . c o m to the front end):

/room_facts.asp?item=384-53681-8&room=entertainment&style=all&type=entcenter&size=&index=22

and I ordered just the entertainment unit base for $253. It is made by Oak Furniture West. It's 47 inches wide (though I measured 46), has two doors in front with glass and a cross of wood in front of each glass. Inside, it is split down the middle with shelf on either side (which isn't wide enough for my Cambridge Soundworks center speaker- I'll probably have to mount it on the wall behind the TV).

Waiting for it to come, and waiting for the TV (JVC 52" D-ILA). Just thought this stand was a good value you might want to look into.
post #474 of 876 Old 11-30-2004, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:

Originally posted by JimWCB
Bingo!

That's perfect for my living room. It even closly matches my coffee and end tables.

The description on Hooker's site says "Hardwood Solids with Cherry Veneers". What part is the veneer? Probably just the top?

Dare I ask how much is that going for?

BTW, it would seem easy to shorten that console if it's too high... just knock a couple inches off the legs to get it exactly the right height.

I believe the sides and the shelving units are cherry veneer. The top may be as well, but it's very difficult to tell which is good.

It was $900. Much more than I originally wanted to spend, but there was nothing else out there that would allow me to hide the center channel below, wide enough for the TV, and fit some of my larger components.

The glass can be replaced with cherry veneer panels as well as the center cabinent. So it's quite versatile. It also came with a powered 3 prong outlet in the center cabinet. WHich made wire managment a little bit easier.

You could probably knock off about 4.5 to 5 inches on the legs, but I'm still holding out. If I did that and decide to get the remaining surround pieces down the road, I'd have to cut those legs as well. I'm not too fond of hacking legs off of expensive pieces of furniture. One goof and it wouldn't be pretty.
post #475 of 876 Old 12-01-2004, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

I was wondering what kind of TV/Video stand owners of LCD and DLP RPTVs are using when the placement will be either in front of a large window or away from a support wall behind the TV? We recently purchased the Sony 55xs955 LCD RPTV and have determined that the two situations I listed above are the only locations that work in our room.

Michael
post #476 of 876 Old 12-01-2004, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:

Originally posted by Michael Mohrmann
I was wondering what kind of TV/Video stand owners of LCD and DLP RPTVs are using when the placement will be either in front of a large window or away from a support wall behind the TV?

Michael

I'm with Michael... I'm about to order the TV he mentioned or one like it and it's not going to be up against a wall. I need something at the right eye level with a shelf in the middle roomy enough for my Polk center speaker and at least one glass enclosure for Xbox, DirecTivo, PS2 and other 'lil black boxes. I also need to avoid particle board....

Does the perfect stand exist?

Sub-1080p/60fps is not next-gen.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #477 of 876 Old 12-05-2004, 09:22 PM

Here is something different for those who want an industrial look. It is the corrosion resistant cantilever rack. For the shelving, I am looking at having carbon fiber shelves or a granite/marble material since weight is not an issue. My floor foundation is concrete covered with carpet.

I have a Samsung HLP 6163 and this is the stand that I am planning to use once I have completed my purchase of new speakers for my home theater system. I will set it up for 3 feet wide and so I figure that the stand will be hidden behind my equipment (TV, center channel and equipment) and if my wife wants me to I will frame it with some wood or plastic panels for aesthetics.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/gcs/...ack#gridAnchor

This gives me the option of placing my center channel above or below the set as well as adjustability of the set height.

Price is right with shipping around $70 for ground.
post #478 of 876 Old 12-07-2004, 12:21 PM

center channel speaker. It is the Mangepan CC3 and measures a whopping 36'' wide. (36x10.5x5.5)

I am a long-time lurker and a first time poster. I am about to get the Sony 55WF655.

The TV will go on wall in front a window. I've spent days trying to come up with a solution to as to where to place the TV so as to have room for the center speaker Here is what I came up with (fix the links as needed, this is my 1 st post).

w w w .martinfurniture. c o m /MtV_Ent_Gall/mt_off_358,491,901.html

w w w .hookerfurniture. c o m /print_detail.cfm?item=109-55-239

Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks for your input.
post #479 of 876 Old 12-07-2004, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcascio
I believe the sides and the shelving units are cherry veneer. The top may be as well, but it's very difficult to tell which is good.

It was $900. Much more than I originally wanted to spend, but there was nothing else out there that would allow me to hide the center channel below, wide enough for the TV, and fit some of my larger components.

The glass can be replaced with cherry veneer panels as well as the center cabinent. So it's quite versatile. It also came with a powered 3 prong outlet in the center cabinet. WHich made wire managment a little bit easier.

You could probably knock off about 4.5 to 5 inches on the legs, but I'm still holding out. If I did that and decide to get the remaining surround pieces down the road, I'd have to cut those legs as well. I'm not too fond of hacking legs off of expensive pieces of furniture. One goof and it wouldn't be pretty.

Damn that's hilarious, I just bought the same stand. Problem is Hooker is out of stock on it for a few weeks. Is it more red cherry or more brown cherry? I bought it for the same reason: can hide my center channel. Does having the extra grille cloth on that door affect the sound at all or did you take the cover off of the CC?

Don't cut down the legs on that beautiful, expensive piece of furniture! Are you crazy?
post #480 of 876 Old 12-07-2004, 01:12 PM

So you guys spend thousands on a brand new TV and you buy a $100 stand for it? What's up with that?
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page