TV Stand Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 876 Old 02-28-2005, 08:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Ed Weinman
It's available in cherry and, what they call, venge (which may be a form of black).

Venge or "Wenge" is actually a dark brown. FYI - pronounced 'When-gay'

Going to church doesn't make a man a Christian, any more than going to a garage makes him an automobile.
-- Billy Sunday
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 876 Old 02-28-2005, 09:50 PM

Gecko-
Thanks for posting that stand pic. After reading everyone's hunt as detailed in this thread for a good fit for a stand, I had to go with the Bonde. The only difference is that I went with the 74 inch Lack wall shelf.

Copied you right down to the lights, tho I have them plugged into a wall switch controlled outlet, which makes it easier to deal with 'em.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I'll try posting a pic here, hopefully it will work.

As you can see by the open, unwired outlets, this is a room in progress...But as soon as the floor went down, I had to get something I could watch while finishing up. You know how it is.
LL

When elephants go to war, it is the grass that suffers.
post #543 of 876 Old 03-01-2005, 03:38 AM

Niiiiiice. Wish I had gone w/ the longer shelf now. I really fits the sideboard well. BTW, I also have my lights connected to a switched wall outlet. They serve as part of my main room lighting along w/ a floor lamp and can light shining over the mantle (still can't believe these apts w/ no overhead lighting.)

Looking like I may go back for the dark brown versions of the same items. I'll be looking to sell the birch versions. Anybody in Dallas area interested?

Going to church doesn't make a man a Christian, any more than going to a garage makes him an automobile.
-- Billy Sunday
post #544 of 876 Old 03-02-2005, 03:35 PM

Wow. Just read this entire thread (took me 2 days) and got some incredible ideas. I saw several people say that they liked the Salamander Triple 20 but didn't like either the size or the price. I'm in the same camp so I'm going to try to build my own with a similar design.

It looks like the Salamander stuff is nothing more than some T-slot extruded aluminum framing with T-slot hardware and wood shelves. Should be pretty easy to cut cabinet grade plywood to the specific size I want, attached some edge banding, and paint to match the other furniture in my room. The shelves attach to the framing with the T-slot hardware so no wood joints are needed. That's perfect for my woodworking skill level. I'll adjust the space in the center section to fit my CC, and adjust the height to fit my yet to be purchased HL-P5674W.

I've been told by someone at work that I can get T-slot framing cut to the size I need from 80/20 Inc. Their website name is 8020, preceeded by the typical 3 w's and followed by .net (I don't have 5 posts yet!). Looking through their catalog, they have lots of options for panels, hinges, drawers, etc. They also have a frame profile that has slots on 2 sides, and a rounded edge on the other 2 sides. Might make nice corner posts. I'll have to get a little creative.

I've been warned that this stuff isn't exactly cheap, so I might not end up saving much. Should be worth it though to have a custom size and style to match the room. I'll post when I get prices for the framing and hardware.

Bob
post #545 of 876 Old 03-02-2005, 04:52 PM

You might want to check out www.item.com for their prices also.
post #546 of 876 Old 03-03-2005, 01:37 PM

Last link didn't work, maybe you could try this one:

http://www.itemamerica.com./
post #547 of 876 Old 03-03-2005, 01:47 PM

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/store...ts=10104*10174

Available side bookshelves. I have a 52 JVC on it and am very happy with it. Solid wood, very sturdy. It's on hard wood with felt sliders so I don't have a hard time moving it for cable adjustments etc.

Nothing, nada, zip
post #548 of 876 Old 03-03-2005, 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by MarkyMark
Last link didn't work, maybe you could try this one:

http://www.itemamerica.com./

Thanks for the correction. My mistake!
post #549 of 876 Old 03-07-2005, 06:14 AM

I wanted to thank everyone who posted on this thread for making my search for the ideal TV stand for my WD-62725 much less painful. When I get enough posts under my belt I will submit pictures of my setup.

One lesson learned though, cover up all exposed skin when working around attic insulation. Running wires sucks!

Splort
post #550 of 876 Old 03-07-2005, 08:35 AM

Here is a link to some nice looking corner stands

http://www.hometheaterforeveryone.com/pages/7/index.htm

Splort or any one interested.
After working around fiberglass products. Wrap some masking tape around your hand with the sticky side out. Use this as you would a lint brush to pick up the stray fiberglass "splinters" in or on the skin. It may be painful for those with hair on the exposed areas This technique was taught to me by a surfboard manufacturer. Or you can go surfing instead!
post #551 of 876 Old 03-07-2005, 12:28 PM

Yes it is painful.
post #552 of 876 Old 03-07-2005, 01:31 PM

[quote]Originally posted by Ryan Rhino

Quote:
Available side bookshelves. I have a 52 JVC on it and am very happy with it. Solid wood, very sturdy. It's on hard wood with felt sliders so I don't have a hard time moving it for cable adjustments etc.

Hi, Ryan, isn't this IKEA one a little too high for viewing? what color is that? it looks pretty nice.
post #553 of 876 Old 03-08-2005, 08:02 AM

Has anybody found this type of TV stand for around $400 (or less)??

Credenza - in a dark wood stain and glass doors

thanks!
post #554 of 876 Old 03-09-2005, 11:58 AM

I wanted a layout like this:

http://www.racksandstands.com/prods/...2/0PSO0060.htm

Only problem is I could not find a tv stand wide enough for the tv I want (HLP5674). Most manufacturers either didn't have matching audio racks or didn't indicate that there were any. The sets I did find were too expensive or I wasn't sold on the look. I did find a set similar to the Samsung stands but shipping took the price out if my budget. Finally I went to the studiotech home page and BAM they sell the larger stand for $399 plus free shipping.

http://www.studiotech.com/jsp/produc...jsp?type=racks

I plan to get the PS-33 and two PS-6 at a later time.
post #555 of 876 Old 03-13-2005, 09:13 PM

I ended up getting the Tech Craft 58" stand (THC/PTV 583) from Circuit City for $240 with free shipping (on sale). The stand is usually $300.

Link to CC - Dimensions: 20" x 58" x 20" - Weight Capacity 250 lbs.
post #556 of 876 Old 03-13-2005, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sstinman

thanks!

sstinman,

I got lucky and picked up an inexpensive but very nice stand for a little over $200. Its pretty similiar to what you are looking for.

http://www.sauder.com/furniture/product.asp?p=604

I didn't install the legs so the height is about 20". Also, the middle bottom drawer is an optional install if you want to use it for a component instead.
post #557 of 876 Old 03-13-2005, 10:14 PM

Quote:

thanks!

Check out Costco, they had a cherry veneered piece on display afew weeks ago.
post #558 of 876 Old 03-14-2005, 06:28 AM

Thanks, Fedreams and Merlintl.

But Cherry is not dark enough I'm looking for more of any ebony or dark walnut finish with a modern look to it. I don't think I'll find what I'm looking for at the price I'm willing to pay. So the Tech Craft will do for now. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a something later. If I do find a better stand then I can sell the Tech Craft and get at least 50-70% of my money back.
post #559 of 876 Old 03-20-2005, 09:34 AM

I wanted to thank all the people who contributed to this thread. It was invaluable in helping me decide between a stand or a built-in wall unit.

I finally decided on the Bello 2601 which fits my new set just fine. It is very simple and classy looking. I really liked some of the Ikea stands but they weren't wide enough for what we wanted.
LL
post #560 of 876 Old 03-20-2005, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

I ended up getting the Tech Craft 58" stand (THC/PTV 583) from Circuit City for $240 with free shipping (on sale). The stand is usually $300.
Link to CC - Dimensions: 20" x 58" x 20" - Weight Capacity 250 lbs.

This one is also available at CC for $250. 250 lbs., real wood, metal and glass. Gets down to personal taste I suppose.
19X58X18

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Nea-M...oductDetail.do

Samsung PN51F8500, Emotiva UMC200, Emotiva XPA-5, Samsung BD-H5900 BluRay, Dish Hopper, Furman Elite pf-15 conditioner, Dali Ikon (Ikon6, Vokal2, OnWalls) Outlaw Audio LFM-EX subwoofer.
post #561 of 876 Old 04-20-2005, 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mnb
This was a post I had on another thread about stands:

I had the same problem last year when I bought my 60" GWII.

I didn't like any of the stands I could find and I really wanted to be able to hold more components under the TV, along with my center speaker. I also wanted it to be around 15" high so that when I'm on my couch, I'm at a good viewing angle. I really didn't want to settle for just the speaker under the TV and having to buy an ugly tower rack for my components.

I ended up building my own stand with wire racks. It started out being a temporary solution, but once I had it built, it seemed to work so well, that I have not yet replaced it.

It was extremely easy and cheap. I bought two 24X60" inch black wire shelves and four black posts. I simply figured out how high I wanted/needed and cut the posts to size.

I also ended up buying a couple pieces of 1/4 inch birch plywood and stained it with a walnut color for shelve tops.

I bought the shelves (part no. 205-BS2460) and posts (part no. 205-BP36) from www.buyrack.com. I happen to live in Chicago and they have a location nearby, so I simply went and picked them up. I believe they also deliver though. Total cost less than $100.

It's big enough to hold a receiver, dvd player, hd dtv box, vcr, cd changer and my center speaker.

Here is a pic:

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for posting this !!!!!

This is exactly what I need. I need a simple table/shelf that's all about function and not so much about form (or expense). PERFECT!

And it appears www.buyrack.com is still online and still carrying those parts.
post #562 of 876 Old 04-28-2005, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
This summer (I hope) I plan on getting a nice Samsung DLP TV that is either 46 or 50". I have small Polk speakers that are only 3" wide that I would sit next to the tv on a stand. I think this will suit my needs: http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Nea-M...oductDetail.do

Just have to decide if I want a 46 or 50 inch tv.
post #563 of 876 Old 04-28-2005, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Just posted this on the Samsung thread but I wrote more there and figured I should cut and paste it here. Sorry if some of it repeats:

I too am considering a 46 or 50" tv (hopefully the 50"). I have a sectional couch that sits anywhere from 6.5' to 9.5' away from the tv now that is facing the wedge of the couch. The bad thing is that the tv now is in a corner and I need a stand that I can still place in the corner that won't stick out too far but still face the wedge. I found this tv stand that is fairly thin and wide enough: http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Nea-M...oductDetail.do
I think the main concern is getting a stand the isn't any more than 20" deep because for a DLP that is at most 17" deep, why getting anything bigger. I also own Polk RM6700 speakers that are only 3" wide. So I figure a 50" DLP is about 46-47" wide, plus 3" plus 3" plus an inch or two between the speakers and the tv (I plan on putting the speakers on the stand), that gives me a total of about 55" wide.
post #564 of 876 Old 04-29-2005, 06:21 AM

I added model numbers for my multimedia center and equipment.

Have a great day!

AllenN
post #565 of 876 Old 04-29-2005, 05:10 PM

This model works great for us
LL
post #566 of 876 Old 04-30-2005, 10:44 PM

Here is an idea I have been considering. Go to Home Depot and get 3 over the refrig cabinets. These are 15, 18, or 24 inches high, 24" wide, and 24" deep. Get the center section with no doors for the center channel speaker. Screw the pieces together in the sides, put cove molding on the bottom, and then put a piece of granite on the top.

This should cost about $500 and look like furniture when done. What are your opinions?

Dan
post #567 of 876 Old 05-01-2005, 02:40 PM

Would it look like a pedestal when you're done? The TV would hang pretty far off each end, right?
post #568 of 876 Old 05-02-2005, 11:56 AM

3 of them would be 72 inches wide... and granite at 74x25 is going to run you a LOT of coin for something that will be covered by a TV. Granite at 60 a square would be over 700 + edging and weight about 800 lbs (65 a sq for 1 inch.

The other option would be granite tile on a 3/4 sheet as the top.

I'd also double check the load capacity of over the fridge cabinets as they are engineered different that base cabinets for load.

Not a bad idea, but maybe more work and $$ than just buying a quality stand.

Nothing, nada, zip
post #569 of 876 Old 05-02-2005, 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by black325xi
Here is an idea I have been considering. Go to Home Depot and get 3 over the refrig cabinets. These are 15, 18, or 24 inches high, 24" wide, and 24" deep. Get the center section with no doors for the center channel speaker. Screw the pieces together in the sides, put cove molding on the bottom, and then put a piece of granite on the top.

This should cost about $500 and look like furniture when done. What are your opinions?

Dan

You could skip the granite idea (HEAVY!!!) and finish the top with 3/4" MDF and some laminate. That would be quick, easy, durable, cheap, and much lighter than granite.

I did a 36x48 3/4" granite slab with full bullnose edges for my kitchen island last year and it was probably 300-350 lbs.

- Jim
post #570 of 876 Old 05-02-2005, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
According to one of the posts, the Ikea OPPLI tv unit with casters ($99.00) originally came in black and birch only to have the black version discontinued (the Ikea site only shows the birch).

Question: Can this Birch veneer be painted, coated, another color? The Ikea site describes the item as ..."Particleboard, Fiberboard, Birch veneer, Clear acrylic lacquer")
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page