Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 876 Old 06-23-2005, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonC View Post

Model: StudioTech HF-33BS (black & silver) or HF-33BB (all black)
Free shipping.
RonC

now we're getting somewhere...those deminsions are near perfect for my set-up. I might be able to convince the g/f on an all black. free shipping is tough to beat.

thanks for the suggestion, I'm feeling a bit more optimistic now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 876 Old 06-23-2005, 12:34 PM

You had asked about the inside of the cabinet. I could not add attachments to the IM so here is another pic. Good Luck...
LL

"Revenge is a dish best served cold." KB
post #633 of 876 Old 06-23-2005, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Ringer View Post

You had asked about the inside of the cabinet. I could not add attachments to the IM so here is another pic. Good Luck...

I like that cabinet a lot. Alas, it's too wide for my rig (isn't it 74"? 70 is my absolute max)
post #634 of 876 Old 06-23-2005, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phish Fan View Post

Brucer, you have some great designs, but I suspect they are well out of my price range. Do you have any sort of catalog or are all designs customs? Could you recommend a builder in the philly area?

Thanks,

The Audio Protein line is a pre-order limited production run products where one can specify various heights / widths / configurations as well as finish options [Diffusion Black or Veneer]. [See previously referenced forum for more info]. Most everything else is custom.

I have a brother who lives just outside of Philly, but he is all thumbs, sorry.
post #635 of 876 Old 06-23-2005, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I need some help. I am thinking either on the Samsung HLR 4667 or the 5067. I have a few stands lined up for the 50" model but its the 46" one that I am having trouble with. As my last few posts have said, I need a stand to hold the tv and that isn't too deep. I also want one that is wider than the tv by about 7-9 or so inches so that I can place my satellite speakers on. I've been searching around for a bit tonight and I can't find anything decent. Any suggestions?
post #636 of 876 Old 06-26-2005, 10:21 PM

I've been an avid reader of this forum for quite some time now since I've been in a market for a new TV. I finally pulled the trigger and pre-ordered a Samsung DLP 6168 but have been having a hard time finding a stand that similar to the TR61X2 but with two shelves instead of just one.

Does anyone have the Gusdorf 57" Stands (18421) from CC? It is the only one I could find with a width of 56.9" like the TR61X2. Sorry I can't post a link because I don't have 5 posts yet.

Also, does anyone know if the pedestal base on the 6168 is hard to remove? Or do you think it will look okay to leave it on?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Samsung HL-R6168
Oppo DV971H
Denon AVR985S
Motorola DCT 6412 HD DVR
Harmony 880
post #637 of 876 Old 06-27-2005, 06:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 732
They don't seem to hold much weight. Between the 6168 and my Center channel speaker I would be past the weight limit. I looked at the set an considered it, but am still leaning toward the Nea Moda stand at CC. It's an inch lower which is better and 18"x58"x19". I thought I read somewhere that it held more weight, but maybe some on the forum posted that info. The one thing I am unsure of is the mahogany color of the base. If it was black, or glass it would be perfect. The Gusdorf looks like it has only enough space for one component on each shelf also. I'm not sure my speaker would fit on it.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #638 of 876 Old 06-27-2005, 10:59 AM

Ok I am taking the plunge on the Bush TV Stand from CCity (http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Bush-...oductDetail.do). I particularly like the space in the middle that will fit my Athena .5 center speaker and then the 3 drawers that can keep my remote controls and some other personal effects.
post #639 of 876 Old 06-27-2005, 11:20 AM

I was in Ikea this weekend-- planning on buying an Opilli to hold me over until I find a better one-- and saw a new model. It's the "Lack Entertainment Center" but I don't see it up on the web-site.

It's about 64"W 21" D. It's built like a center-- as opposed to a stand --in the sense that it has poles, extending up from the 4 corners, holding a top shelf. It's damn near ideal b/c you can put speakers on top of this platform. It also has a bottom shelf, below the shelf that holds the t/v. And it sits on large casters. If any of that makes sense.

Sorry I can't give a better description. It's all I can remember. Here's a brilliant rendering of what I recall (the single line being the floor).

==========================
=tvtvtvtvtvtvtvtvtvtvtvtvtvtvtvt=
=componentscomponentscompon =
=componentscomponentscompon =
0___________________________0

It's very simple and open (only 4 poles and 3 shelves, no back or sides) probably ideal for many. I think it was $195. Alas it's too deep and wide for my set-up.
post #640 of 876 Old 06-27-2005, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoldenhand View Post

Ok I am taking the plunge on the Bush TV Stand from CCity (http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Bush-...oductDetail.do). I particularly like the space in the middle that will fit my Athena .5 center speaker and then the 3 drawers that can keep my remote controls and some other personal effects.

How wide is that center channel speaker opening? I've been running into problems with that dimension all over the place.

Thanks,
jc
post #641 of 876 Old 06-27-2005, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Clark View Post

How wide is that center channel speaker opening? I've been running into problems with that dimension all over the place.

Thanks,
jc

I will let you know once I pick up and assemble the stand sometime this week. I just eyeballed the size of the middle shelf and I think the .5 center will fit. What center channel speaker do you have?
post #642 of 876 Old 06-27-2005, 03:06 PM

Quote:

I will let you know once I pick up and assemble the stand sometime this week. I just eyeballed the size of the middle shelf and I think the .5 center will fit. What center channel speaker do you have?

Klipsch RC-3, 23 inches wide, most everything I come across can deal with a 20, and no mas.

jc
post #643 of 876 Old 06-27-2005, 06:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

How high is it? I need 8.5" for my Polk which is the problem with most of the stands I've looked at. Most of them only have around 7" of clearance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #644 of 876 Old 06-27-2005, 09:20 PM

The Athena .5 center is about 5" high and the width is about 15". BTW, CCity has this listed at 239.99 which is the lowest I've seen anywhere else. Fatwallet has a coupon code for CCity's friends and family event. I saved an extra 10%.
post #645 of 876 Old 06-28-2005, 11:30 AM

I have a bombay mahogany tv stand and rack that I put all my A/V equipment in as well as my center channel which is on top of it... looks rich and compliments the rest of my room....
http://www.bombaycompany.com/gp/deta...474867-2297410
I got mine on a 50% off deal at bombay a while back--- awesome rack...

if you dont like sports, youre not a guy.
post #646 of 876 Old 06-28-2005, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

any have any suggestions for a 50" wide stand that is 20" deep or less?
post #647 of 876 Old 06-29-2005, 01:20 PM

Finally got a stand, well at least it's ordered. Lemme tell you, this is one big monkey I'm glad to finally have off my back.

In the end I was able to customize a Salamander system that will do everything I wanted it to do, and then some. Apparently this isn't a common solution, perhaps since it ended up being fairly long at 86 inches? The Sony's KDF-55XS955 is 62 inches wide so there is a bit of unnecessary lenght there. I can't post any pics but I can describe what I've done.

I started with an SVDO unit in the center and I'm putting a single S20 on either side. Cherry finish, perforated steel sides on the S20's and perforated steel doors as well. The perfortated steel is genious for keeping components cool and out of sight. I was concerned about the appearance, until I saw in action. Works for me.

I would have vastly preferred just getting the triple 20 but my CC is too big to fit into the opening of a single 20 without pushing it back behind the posts. Really would prefer to not have to deal with edge refraction, much less whatever passing through a perforated steel door would do (acoustic or not!). But using the SVDO gives my CC all kinds of room as well as some additional space to bump up the WAF with some simple decorating.

Cost is something of an issue, since it ended up being about 14 hunnert and lord only knows how long it's going to take to arrive. *rant starts ahora mismo* I don't think this is the perfect solution, especially given the cost, but after hours of scouring stores and the internet it was the only real solution that presented itself. I think furniture makers are missing out on an opportunity since these types of widescreen tabletop televisions are becoming the norm, as is at least a basic HT experience. I've seen some very cost effecient and beautiful pieces. Ethan Allan for example has some incredible tables but what they all have in common is a lack of space for a CC speaker that isn't pint size. Ethan Allan, The Pottery Barn, et. al., aren't HT companies so I can understand their lack of understanding. What really burns me is the companies like Sanus and Salamander that I'd think would know better, but still haven't quite got it figured out yet. Sure, I eventually came up with an idea that works but criminy even the shops where salamander was on display can't fit a center channel in. There's something wrong with that.*end rant*

Good luck and happy hunting
jc (finally lets out a deep sigh)
post #648 of 876 Old 06-29-2005, 09:23 PM

Quote:

Finally got a stand, well at least it's ordered. Lemme tell you, this is one big monkey I'm glad to finally have off my back.

In the end I was able to customize a Salamander system that will do everything I wanted it to do, and then some. Apparently this isn't a common solution, perhaps since it ended up being fairly long at 86 inches? The Sony's KDF-55XS955 is 62 inches wide so there is a bit of unnecessary lenght there. I can't post any pics but I can describe what I've done.

I started with an SVDO unit in the center and I'm putting a single S20 on either side. Cherry finish, perforated steel sides on the S20's and perforated steel doors as well. The perfortated steel is genious for keeping components cool and out of sight. I was concerned about the appearance, until I saw in action. Works for me.

I would have vastly preferred just getting the triple 20 but my CC is too big to fit into the opening of a single 20 without pushing it back behind the posts. Really would prefer to not have to deal with edge refraction, much less whatever passing through a perforated steel door would do (acoustic or not!). But using the SVDO gives my CC all kinds of room as well as some additional space to bump up the WAF with some simple decorating.

Cost is something of an issue, since it ended up being about 14 hunnert and lord only knows how long it's going to take to arrive. *rant starts ahora mismo* I don't think this is the perfect solution, especially given the cost, but after hours of scouring stores and the internet it was the only real solution that presented itself. I think furniture makers are missing out on an opportunity since these types of widescreen tabletop televisions are becoming the norm, as is at least a basic HT experience. I've seen some very cost effecient and beautiful pieces. Ethan Allan for example has some incredible tables but what they all have in common is a lack of space for a CC speaker that isn't pint size. Ethan Allan, The Pottery Barn, et. al., aren't HT companies so I can understand their lack of understanding. What really burns me is the companies like Sanus and Salamander that I'd think would know better, but still haven't quite got it figured out yet. Sure, I eventually came up with an idea that works but criminy even the shops where salamander was on display can't fit a center channel in. There's something wrong with that.*end rant*

Well, since someone upped the price point, here's what I went with. Sorry for the flash, but I just took the pictures now, and I needed the flash.

The bottom picture shows the pull out storage doors on the left and right outside. And the color I chose is most accurately represented by the pull out drawer picture.

My former tall Polk SDA speakers got replaced by the wall speakers (high end Polk) due to the WAF factor ("you're no longer in college in the dorm, why do you need those big speakers?").

The only issue for many would still be the center speaker (black metallic grill material) -- only about 20-21" wide. It did come with an extra glass insert, so the grill could be a glass door.

My silver HTPC case will be changed out to a black HTPC case somewhere down the road.

Charlie
LL
LL
LL
post #649 of 876 Old 06-29-2005, 11:01 PM

Charlie -- Nice stand! Is it a commercial product, custom made, or DIY?

What's the height? It looks like a good height, which is hard to find in a commercial product.

"He's like an idiot savant... minus the savant!"
post #650 of 876 Old 06-30-2005, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Last Call for the previously shown maple credenza [or similar], I'll be starting production shortly.
post #651 of 876 Old 06-30-2005, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thommy View Post

Charlie -- Nice stand! Is it a commercial product, custom made, or DIY?

What's the height? It looks like a good height, which is hard to find in a commercial product.

His stand is a JSP Industries Jazzy.
http://www.jsp-industries.com/Pages/Jazzy.html

There is a .pdf at the bottom of the linked page that shows all the dimensions.

BTW, it's a heck of a good looking piece. The local Sound Advice stores here have it on display.
post #652 of 876 Old 06-30-2005, 07:38 AM

Quote:

Did you happen to call Salamander prior to your purchase? They offer a quadruple 20 Synergy piece now with a double wide center shelf for a center channel below the TV. The double wide shelf has a center support below it, but nothing in the middle to interfere with a center channel sitting on it. With the quad 20, it's 87" wide. A Salamander customer service person quoted me an MSRP of $1435 for a quad 20, double wide shelf, sides and 2- 20" doors. It sounds a lot like what your intentions were, but in a bit more complete package IMO.

Also, Salamander has a triple 10 synergy unit out now where you can add a riser on top for a center channel. This keeps TV height around 20"-21" and allows for center channel placement below the TV.

The main thing that bugs me about Salamander though is that they are silly slow at updating their website to reflect the new products.
post #653 of 876 Old 06-30-2005, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellyo View Post

Did you happen to call Salamander prior to your purchase? They offer a quadruple 20 Synergy piece now with a double wide center shelf for a center channel below the TV. The double wide shelf has a center support below it, but nothing in the middle to interfere with a center channel sitting on it. With the quad 20, it's 87" wide. A Salamander customer service person quoted me an MSRP of $1435 for a quad 20, double wide shelf, sides and 2- 20" doors. It sounds a lot like what your intentions were, but in a bit more complete package IMO.

Also, Salamander has a triple 10 synergy unit out now where you can add a riser on top for a center channel. This keeps TV height around 20"-21" and allows for center channel placement below the TV.

The main thing that bugs me about Salamander though is that they are silly slow at updating their website to reflect the new products.

grrr.

Well, I actually did know about the triple 10 as I saw it at the local dealer right before I plunked down my deposit on the "custom" jobbie. Just not enough component storage for my needs. You know, amp, pre, STB, CDP, DVDP, and I still have occasion to use a VCR (Miracle Mile isn't available on DVD!)

That quad unit though-no I didn't know about it and yes I did call Salamander and the solution was never presented. double grrr.

jc
post #654 of 876 Old 06-30-2005, 03:05 PM

Quote:

grrr.

Well, I actually did know about the triple 10 as I saw it at the local dealer right before I plunked down my deposit on the "custom" jobbie. Just not enough component storage for my needs. You know, amp, pre, STB, CDP, DVDP, and I still have occasion to use a VCR (Miracle Mile isn't available on DVD!)

That quad unit though-no I didn't know about it and yes I did call Salamander and the solution was never presented. double grrr.

jc

I certainly understand not getting enough storage with the triple 10.

Shame on Salamander for not recommending the Quad 20 to you though. I guess I just happened to speak to the right person as she had just priced out a Quad 20 for someone earlier in the week.
post #655 of 876 Old 07-02-2005, 02:05 PM

Quote:

Finally picked up this stand. As someone mentioned earlier, this is quite a task to put together. I spent 5 hours assembling it. I kind of took my time to make sure that I do not scratch anything and make sure that I was doing things correctly. I started at about 10PM last night and finished the assembly by 3AM today. Whew! But overall I am happy with the stand. Not bad for a $230 tv stand that's got all the shelves that I need and 3 drawers than can keep the remotes, manuals and other stuff. Just make sure to add some felt padding on the bottom so that you can easily slide it when needed and also to protect your floors from scratching.
post #656 of 876 Old 07-03-2005, 06:16 AM

Hey all,
After way too much research (as usual) I bought the Bush Edgewood VS31543 stand from CC. Like others have said, it's a good size, good price, and looks nicer than you'd expect in that price range. Yes, it takes significant time to assemble.

The problem is that I wanted to make sure everything fit so I went to the bush site to get the dimensions:
Bush Furniture Edgewood Specs

The spec sheet is WRONG! The center channel section is listed as 18.32" wide, which would be perfect for my klipsch center channel (18.1-ish?). However, once I bought and assembled this damn thing the center channel area is about 17.9" wide. The discrepancy is that these clowns (Bush) did the measurement center to center of the vertical wooden supports, not the actual shelf dimensions!

So, I'm bitter. Right now I've got my center channel in one of the sides, so I've got to open the door to use it. I'm debating my options; return? belt sand 1/4" off my center channel? leave as is? replace center channel?

post #657 of 876 Old 07-03-2005, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95se View Post

So, I'm bitter. Right now I've got my center channel in one of the sides, so I've got to open the door to use it. I'm debating my options; return? belt sand 1/4" off my center channel? leave as is? replace center channel?

I'm thinking of starting a club. Wanna be my VP?

jc (very sorry to hear that it didn't work out as well as you'd hoped)
post #658 of 876 Old 07-05-2005, 09:44 AM

We finally picked out a new TV stand for our Samsung 56" DLP. Currently we have it on a BDI Axis 8024 stand that is too narrow by about 2 inches. I got tired of looking at it hanging over the edges, so we have been looking for a new unit to fit our needs. We ended up ordering a piece from Ethan Allen in their new Horizons collection. The dimensions are: 68 " w x 23 1/4" d x 25 " h. It's a little taller than I'd like at 25", but I can live with a couple of extra inches in height to get the look we wanted. Here is a link to it on the Ethan Allen Website:

http://www.ethanallen.com/jsp/univer...=4&subSelect=1
post #659 of 876 Old 07-05-2005, 07:13 PM

Well, here's another vote for the Oppli from Ikea. A friend of mine picked one up for me (there's no Ikea in my city) and brought it to me the next time we met up for a visit. It was quick and easy to put together (particularly with a cordless drill), and it is absolutely perfect. The height is great (only 15 inches tall, just right for my Optoma) and the center channel fits right in the middle shelf on top of my DVD player.

I don't know why anyone would spend a bunch of money on ugly metal stands when you can get this solid, nice-looking Ikea stand for $99.
post #660 of 876 Old 07-08-2005, 08:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

So did anyone get the Gusdorf 57" Stands (18421) form CC? I looked at it tonight, along with the Nea Moda stand. I think the Gusdorf might match the Samsung TV better, but the Quality of the Nea Moda seems to be much better. I'll have to try and decide in the next few days. I want to get it next week so I will be ready for my Sammy 1080P set

Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page