TV Stand Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 876 Old 08-04-2004, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The BDI's might be cheaper than the Salamander stuff but they still cost $600-$700 bucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 876 Old 08-04-2004, 09:24 AM

I don't know what BDI's current pricing is but I would expect it to be in the same category as Salamander. The wide stands that can hold a DLP probably start in the $600 range and go up from there.

I would expect BDI to be 50-100% more expensive than TechCraft for a comparable design.

As for the cable management. All of these stands follow the same basic design principle. They have a center column in the back that has holes drilled in it for each shelf and you run the cables out through the holes and up the back to the TV or to other components. With liberal use of twist-ties or cable ties you can usually restrain most of your cables so they are not visible from the front. The best way to do it is to custom-size all your cables to the exact length you need for each connection so you don't have extra cables flopping around. But that is easier to do with analog cables like coax and composite and not really possible with digital cables like DVI and HDMI which you have to buy to the length you want.

But remember also that these stands are all completely open from every direction so you won't have any place to hide components like surge protectors and UPS. And it will take some careful cable routing and restraining to make your cables look neat from the side vew. After living with the BDI system for years I got tired of the dust collecting on all the audio components that I almost never use and now prefer audio cabinets that are enclosed with glass doors.
post #93 of 876 Old 08-04-2004, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

I hear ya on the glass doors and cabinets. I was hoping for something with some storage for my PS2 games, controllers and stuff, also wanted to hide my keyboard and mouse from my HTPC. One of the best things I ever got was the techcraft SF50 AV rack. It's awesome.
I just got offline with TVA chat and they have no clue when the Samsung stands will be available. Neil said in an earlier post that they'd be out around the third week in August and that they'd have pre-orders on their site a week or so before that. So far nothing. The only reason I'm going with the Samsung stand right now is it's the only thing I can find that fits a 56" set perfectly. I don't want any gaps on the sides of the set.
post #94 of 876 Old 08-04-2004, 11:17 AM

Just wanted to thank everyone for the great TV stand links. You've saved me hours, or probably days, of shopping around. I think I'm going to cheap out and get the Ikea or Target stands, and invest the money I save in a new Samsung 941 DVD player and DVI cable to hook up to my 4663.

Cheers!

* I Enjoy Drinking Beer *
post #95 of 876 Old 08-04-2004, 12:09 PM

PokerNut

I got a great deal on the stand because a friend works at a B&M, but I believe that you can pick one up for ~$600. The stand does have very good cable management in the rear, as it has holes in the frame as well as cable guides that aren't visible from the front.

I chose the stand because I needed to have room for large components (I have an 18.5" deep Sony 400 Disc changer and my Denon receiver is fairly tall as well) The middle shelf is adjustable and will hold 50 Lbs, the top and bottom shelves hold 150 Lbs.

Regards,

Paul
post #96 of 876 Old 08-04-2004, 12:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Just had my 6163 delivered.

The Elksjo stand from Ikea (with the aluminum frame removed) is the PERFECT size in width, depth, and height. And it has 6 components below that are ~18.5" wide. I do, though, recommend adding two wood front-to-back strips to the base (under the two verticle dividers and the same width as the two strips at the outside) in order to give firm support in the center of the stand (that bears the most weight).
post #97 of 876 Old 08-04-2004, 01:16 PM

Another stand option is the Bush model VS44150-03.

http://www.everythingfurniture.com/p...v-stand-8.html

I have it set up and waiting for my 6163 which should be shipping today from TVA (with any luck since that is based on the posts above).
The stand is 19 7/8" high, 59 1/8' wide and 17 3/4" deep, so it should be perfect for the 61" TV. The only problem is that the shelves are not very high. The top shelf is only about 6" and the bottom about 7". I have a Cambridge Soundworks MC300 center channel speaker and it barely fits on the top shelf below the TV. My Yamaha HTR-5790 AV receiver barely fits on the bottom shelf. The good news is that they do both fit and it looks pretty sharp. It will look even better with TV on it.

Eric
post #98 of 876 Old 08-04-2004, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chris523
It's part of the TV. The two stands are held together by other means (I was too cheap to buy a "real" stand...)

Cable guy just left. Got the SA4200HD box w/DVI out. I called Cablevision twice to make sure it would come with a DVI cable. Both times they said it would. The guy gets here and guess what - no DVI cable.

I'm off to buy a cable...

-Chris

I also have cablevision but of Long Island I hope the I get the same box SA4200HD sounds about right. Think that is what they use here, glad to hear it has a DVI out. I plan on hooking it up to the HDMI port. I just picked up my full compliment of Monster cables (got them at a great discount through a friend). Now all I need is my TV.
Chris - are those two Techcraft SF50 or 60 AV racks? I have the SF50 and love it. I actually managed to get an extra shelf from techcraft due to some slight damage when it was delivered. Great AV rack, I like your stand idea. How tall are the stands under your TV?
post #99 of 876 Old 08-04-2004, 04:12 PM

With all the talk about stands, I guess I'll jump in with my custom job. As mentioned earlier, I just finished expanding the hole of my existing in-wall cabinet (see photo attached). It previously housed a 36" 4 x 3 RCA TV. My components are going in the vertical Room & Board stand mentioned much earlier in this thread. I custom ordered it so it will probably arrive after the TV. The bottom of the cabinet is 3 ft. off the ground, and I will be sitting 18 ft. away. I hope this will be ok as far as PQ goes. Thanks to everyone here for the great posts, and now I must wait to fill the hole...

James
LL
post #100 of 876 Old 08-04-2004, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by f16falcon
Another stand option is the Bush model VS44150-03.

http://www.everythingfurniture.com/p...v-stand-8.html

I have it set up and waiting for my 6163 which should be shipping today from TVA (with any luck since that is based on the posts above).
The stand is 19 7/8" high, 59 1/8' wide and 17 3/4" deep, so it should be perfect for the 61" TV. The only problem is that the shelves are not very high. The top shelf is only about 6" and the bottom about 7". I have a Cambridge Soundworks MC300 center channel speaker and it barely fits on the top shelf below the TV. My Yamaha HTR-5790 AV receiver barely fits on the bottom shelf. The good news is that they do both fit and it looks pretty sharp. It will look even better with TV on it.

Wires, wires everywhere.

What have you done to hide them?
post #101 of 876 Old 08-04-2004, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Goonie
The dimensions on the TVA website state the 61" is 56.9 x 40.7 x 16.7 (W x H x D). Can someone that received one confirm these measurements? I am mostly concerned about the height and width, because I just finished opening a larger hole in my existing in-wall cabinet. Seeing the stand on the bottom is scaring me a little bit... Thanks in advance!

p.s. Ordered my 61" on 7/24 and was told that I would be #80 on the list AFTER the first shipment of 40 were sent out.

James

Is that knotty pine...looks really cool!

Joe V.
post #102 of 876 Old 08-04-2004, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Goonie:

Gorgeous!

Can I have all that beautiful wood after you're dead?

Reunite Pangea!
post #103 of 876 Old 08-04-2004, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by texasdiver
I don't know what BDI's current pricing is but I would expect it to be in the same category as Salamander. The wide stands that can hold a DLP probably start in the $600 range and go up from there.

(snip)

But remember also that these stands are all completely open from every direction so you won't have any place to hide components like surge protectors and UPS. And it will take some careful cable routing and restraining to make your cables look neat from the side vew.

That's why I like the side walls of the Bell'O AVSC-2050 that jaime2221 mentioned, yesterday. It's 52w x 18 1/2h x 24d, and you can get it for <$500, delivered, from www.standsandmounts.com. Wide enough for a 46 (someday) and little speakers, or a 50, but probably too narrow for a 61. If you need more width and only 2" more height, the AVSC-2151 is wide enough, but has no sides and costs $250 more.
post #104 of 876 Old 08-04-2004, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chris523
It's part of the TV. The two stands are held together by other means (I was too cheap to buy a "real" stand...)

Cable guy just left. Got the SA4200HD box w/DVI out. I called Cablevision twice to make sure it would come with a DVI cable. Both times they said it would. The guy gets here and guess what - no DVI cable.

I'm off to buy a cable...

-Chris

Is that base part under the TV detachable? I like the look of the other HLP units, without a separate base.

Salvador
post #105 of 876 Old 08-04-2004, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I agree it would look better flush with the stand, Today was the first I heard of this base thing..I hope it can removed.

Joe V.
post #106 of 876 Old 08-05-2004, 01:16 PM

Here are some other stand options for those interested.

http://ww2.potterybarn.com/cat/index...&cid=furabstvs
post #107 of 876 Old 08-05-2004, 05:52 PM

Here's a pic of my dilemma....

I apologize for the zip file, the file is too large and this isn't my normal computer so I'm having trouble making it smaller....

entctr.zip 384.849609375k . file
post #108 of 876 Old 08-05-2004, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow looks nice djacobs.
post #109 of 876 Old 08-05-2004, 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by S1DIMMER
Wow looks nice djacobs.

Thanks. The basement is just about done and ready to receive the DLP. Base trim, carpet, oh, and of course now a hacksaw for 6163 modifications.....
post #110 of 876 Old 08-06-2004, 06:56 AM

And another thing...

I've been going crazier looking for stands than for the TV to put on one! My current favorite is the Bell'O AVSC-2050MC, though I've only seen it in pictures. So I called Bell'O to find a local dealer (west of Boston) where I could see what one actually looks like, and they pointed me to CC, BB, Tweeter, and a local named Percy's. Problem is, not one of these dealers carries it, and none is willing to order one just for me to think about.

Other than playing the mail-order-bride game, and at the risk of having you all tell me where to go , can you tell me where to go?
post #111 of 876 Old 08-06-2004, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by StevenZ
And another thing...

I've been going crazier looking for stands than for the TV to put on one! My current favorite is the Bell'O AVSC-2050MC, though I've only seen it in pictures. So I called Bell'O to find a local dealer (west of Boston) where I could see what one actually looks like, and they pointed me to CC, BB, Tweeter, and a local named Percy's. Problem is, not one of these dealers carries it, and none is willing to order one just for me to think about.

Other than playing the mail-order-bride game, and at the risk of having you all tell me where to go , can you tell me where to go?

Check out Racks and Stands on the internet, and ask for Mark see what he can do for you, he saved me $80 on my stand.

Joe V.
post #112 of 876 Old 08-06-2004, 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by jwv651
Check out Racks and Stands on the internet...

Oh, I already know where I can buy -- at standsandmounts.com, it appears to be even less $ than R+S. I just don't know where to look. I'd really prefer not to buy, sight unseen, when this piece of furniture will outlast the TV it supports.
post #113 of 876 Old 08-06-2004, 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by BubbaJon
Amen! I haven't been able to budge any either. They have a hot item and they know it. XXXXX doesn't even have a unit on display because they "are selling them as fast as we can stock 'em". With that sort of consumer movement what would their motivation be to lower the price because I say I'll go elsewhere? I'm pretty happy with the PB price as it is (A) saving me roughly $1,000 and (B) I think of the units in the stores are probably the first batch that had serious quality issues. Glad I won't be getting one of those!
regards,
BubbaJon

I was also talking to a salesman a week ago. Had no interest in a price match but did comment they had a lot of returns on the Sammy. I informed him that it was a QC issue with the 5063s or at least that was the hardest hit.
I will admit I am a little apprehensive buying something like this over the net but it appears most of the problems I've heard about are related to the ballast that is easily repaired with a service call. It sucks that you have to have a service call after you get a new set but I guess it's a sensitive component. The bright side is I don't plan on moving it once I get it situated on a yet to be determined stand.
sells the Salamander line of furniture and I think I recall seeing the triple on display. I'm going to try and get there tomorrow to check out pricing. I hate to drop a grand on a stand but it sure would look nice and it's a a few inches shorter than the one I currently have on order. With any luck it could be adjusted down another inch or 2.
But they look awesome and the wife likes it too. And as tex has stated the doors will go a long way in keeping dust to a minimum and hiding wires.
I'm on day 32 since I placed my order for the 5663. I should be getting a call any minute now. Any of you 56er's that ordered around that date heard anything yet?
post #114 of 876 Old 08-06-2004, 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by PokerNut
I was also talking to a salesman a week ago. Had no interest in a price match but did comment they had a lot of returns on the Sammy. I informed him that it was a QC issue with the 5063s or at least that was the hardest hit.
I will admit I am a little apprehensive buying something like this over the net but it appears most of the problems I've heard about are related to the ballast that is easily repaired with a service call. It sucks that you have to have a service call after you get a new set but I guess it's a sensitive component. The bright side is I don't plan on moving it once I get it situated on a yet to be determined stand.
Tweeter sells the Salamander line of furniture and I think I recall seeing the triple on display. I'm going to try and get there tomorrow to check out pricing. I hate to drop a grand on a stand but it sure would look nice and it's a a few inches shorter than the one I currently have on order. With any luck it could be adjusted down another inch or 2.
But they look awesome and the wife likes it too. And as tex has stated the doors will go a long way in keeping dust to a minimum and hiding wires.
I'm on day 32 since I placed my order for the 5663. I should be getting a call any minute now. Any of you 56er's that ordered around that date heard anything yet?

Pokenut: I think if you explore the salamander site you'll find they have various options for legs. Although I haven't seen an actual Salamander piece in real life, I'm guessing that they probably just use a threaded rod that the different cabinet legs screw onto. Or some other similar type of table leg attachment system. So I doubt that it would be a big deal to swap out the legs for something different, or even cut them down in size if you have the proper tools and inclination. I think I remember that they had casters available as a replacement for the legs if you wanted that. Of course they were about 5x more expensive than generic furniture casters bought from Home Depot or Lowes.

I'll be buying the cheap Target piece this weekend and I think the first think I'm going to do is stop by Home Depot for a set of casters and swap out the plastic legs for casters and also drop it down in height a few inches at the same time. Instead of casters I might alternatively decide to get furniture slides of some sort. I'll see what they have. My living room is carpeted and furniture slides may make smaller dents in the carpet foam than casters and may be just as easy to move.
post #115 of 876 Old 08-06-2004, 10:34 AM

Have any of you guys ever considered mounting your DLP on a shelf rather than on a stand or built-in alcove? One of my early ideas was to build a floating shelf along the wall for the DLP to sit on with a slot below for the receiver and DVD player. The best example of what I'm talking about is a photo that I found in the Mirage Omnisat speaker brochure which is in .pdf so I can't post it here but I can provide the link to the brochure. Take a look at page 6 if you are interested:

http://miragespeakers.com/PDFs/curre...RObrochure.pdf

The shelf in the photo is for a plasma display but I see no reason why one couldn't set a DLP on a similar shelf and back it right up against the wall. That would turn your DLP almost into a plasma wall mount as they are pretty thin to begin with.

The key would be dealing with all the cables. I think if I was building a wall from scratch I would do something like this with a small alcove that the DLP could sit back in slightly to hide all the cables from the side view (sort of like the shelves on page 4 of the brochure). I would only put the sat receiver and DVD player on the actual shelf and hide the rest of the audio components in a separate cabinet somewhere. But then I'm pretty minimalist and modern in my decorating tastes and so is my wfe so we like the sleek built-in look and lack of clutter.

My brother is a carpenter and I asked him about making these sort of floating shelfs (with no obvious brackets) and he said it is really MUCH MUCH easier to build them starting with bare studs because you can install metal angle brackets on the studs and then cover them with sheetrock later. It's much more difficult to add such a shelf to a wall later if you want to make it sturdy enough to support a TV. So I'm not going to try this right now, but it's in the back of my mind as a future idea.
post #116 of 876 Old 08-07-2004, 05:49 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Barrybud

I had a local furniture maker quote me on something similar. He came in just over half of what they wanted. Its hand made, mostly cherry with a natural finish coated with linseed oil and it will darken with age. That has already started. It nice to support local business too. This was the 56" DLP on it.

Very nice! I've been wondering if I am the only person that thinks the cost of a lot of these stands is kind of outrageous. It's definitely better if you spend $400-600 on something that is a piece of real furniture, though....

Randy

Randy
post #117 of 876 Old 08-07-2004, 06:51 AM

Re: TV Stand
In nosing around the Ikea catalogue (hard copy) I see that they carry something they call a sideboard but which looks similar to the salamander 4 door stand. It's under the name "Bonde" and not listed with TV stands. Catalog p. 161.
Stand is on the high side - 29 inches but the legs seem high to me and I think with smallish casters might be reduced to a reasonable height. Good price at $399. The web listing shows it in white but the catalog also offers it in "black-brown" ?? stain.
http://www.ikea-usa.com/webapp/wcs/s...roductId=40155
post #118 of 876 Old 08-07-2004, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by JoeSchueller
Barrybud,
Any chance we could just have a 2nd thread for stands and the like? For my $0.02, I'd like this thread to stay "clean" too so those of us with unfilled orders can keep track of things like timing and people's cust. service experiences. Perhaps Neil will even show up with updates, but I could see where he'd find the home decor and "I beat the PB price..." talk not worth his time.
-Joe

I agree its time to open a new thread just for TV stands...There has to be over 10 pages on just TV stands.

Joe V.

Joe V.
post #119 of 876 Old 08-07-2004, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 22
QUOTE]Originally posted by JoeSchueller
Barrybud,
Any chance we could just have a 2nd thread for stands and the like? -Joe
[/quote]

Joe,

I am just about to spit the stands to their own thread. I hope this works, I've spent the last hour and a half doing it.

Well here it is. Six pages of stand talk. I may not have them all, but I think its most of the post.

TV Stand Thread

Real original title huh? If you have a better idea PM me.

All discussion of stands should now go in the new thread.

This thread has been added to the "**Popular Threads ** FAQ - Rules" Post near the top of the forum list.

Thanks,
Barry

Quick Reference of Forum Rules
1) Do Not post pricing you found on-line or at a local dealer UNLESS IN A DEALS THREAD.
2) Do Not ask for, or offer, a receipt so people can price match.
3) Do Not say to "Call John Smith at ..." (you know what I mean)
4) Do Not put down someone else's choice in...

post #120 of 876 Old 08-07-2004, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I liked the Salamander triple, but no way was I going to drop 4 figures on MDF and laminates. So I had a local furniture maker quote me on something similar. He came in just over half of what they wanted. Its hand made, mostly cherry with a natural finish coated with linseed oil and it will darken with age. That has already started. It nice to support local business too. This was the 56" DLP on it

Here is a link to the carpenters site.

http://www.trestlecreekwoodworking.com/
LL

Quick Reference of Forum Rules
1) Do Not post pricing you found on-line or at a local dealer UNLESS IN A DEALS THREAD.
2) Do Not ask for, or offer, a receipt so people can price match.
3) Do Not say to "Call John Smith at ..." (you know what I mean)
4) Do Not put down someone else's choice in...

Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page