DLP Stuck Mirror?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-10-2004, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
just got my first stuck mirror on my 507 tonight.......the set is about 1 1/2 years old.......thank goodness I have 5 year extended waranty on it......however i've already had the set in for the 'buzzsaw" colorwheel issue and it cost the warranty company 1300.oo to fix it. Were they hot......had a hard time getting thewarranty co. to cover it at my high end shop where I purchased the set. As a matter of fact the shop said if I had any more issues with the set...that KeyGuard...the warranty company who gladly took my 349.00 for the extension upon set purchase said they would probably not honor any more repaiers and my "Buy out" my warranty....what bull$^&*%%......
Any way...back to the mirror.....anyone had this issue and what is the fix?? it's one mirror in the lower right corner of the screen....stuck on the color blue/black....and is highly visible with light backgrounds..esp white.
I'll post a pick if anyone is interested......I go out of town for a week at the end of Aug and may send it in then for repair....Maybe I'll get a replacement HLN507W.....I'll dream on....
Any advice or recommendations would be great....the stuck mirror drives me nuts.

Thanks guys......
Maybe I shoudl have waited for the "Capt. Kirk"....lol
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-10-2004, 09:16 PM

Had my first stuck mirror just recently having the set 1year and one month. The mirrors can be stuck open(twinkles like a star) or closed(black). Samsungs policy is that a mirror stuck open gets fixed(zero tolerance). A mirror stuck closed only gets fixed if it is in a certain position of the screen(arrived at by a formula) which roughly equals 20x12 inches on a 50inch screen. The mirrors can stick do to a defective DMD or DMD controller(and possibly other controlling units on the solid state path). No company that takes your money should reneg on the warranty it was to provide.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-10-2004, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally posted by SKITWO
thank goodness I have 5 year extended waranty on it......however i've already had the set in for the 'buzzsaw" colorwheel issue and it cost the warranty company 1300.oo to fix it. Were they hot......had a hard time getting thewarranty co. to cover it at my high end shop where I purchased the set. As a matter of fact the shop said if I had any more issues with the set...that KeyGuard...the warranty company who gladly took my 349.00 for the extension upon set purchase said they would probably not honor any more repaiers and my "Buy out" my warranty....what bull$^&*%%......
Chris
Chris - I don't know where you're at, but up here in Canada this is illegal. If you purchase an extended warranty, your set is covered for any malfunction that occurs that is not your fault - a colorwheel issue has nothing to do with you, and neither does a stuck mirror. If they don't honor the warranty - check the fine print - you should be able to sue them in small claims court without a lawyer and win very easily. I would also report your 'high end' store to the BBB as they are selling warranties from a company that obviously wants "your money", but does not want to pay for anything!

However, I wouldn't worry too much about the stuck mirror if it is in the lower corner of the screen. I too have a stuck mirror, but it is below the black bars when watching a 2:35:1 movie, and unless the screen is pure white, I don't even notice it. From what I understand, they have to swap out the entire assembly (I could be wrong here - but the mirror's are in total the size of a postage stamp, so I don't know how they would be able to 'unstick' one mirror). In fact, expanding on what DLPnut said, I believe it has to be a certain percentage of stuck mirrors, or one stuck in the middle of the screen or something, before they'd replace it. And sometimes the assembly they replace it with could have other, more serious problems, all in middle of the NFL season!!!!

"it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it"
post #4 of 4 Old 08-11-2004, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys....this is along the lines of what I was expecting.....Kapt_Krunch.....great photo of your child~! I have a six month old just starting to crawl.....what a miracle he is.......take care......

Chris.........:)
Closed Thread Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page