The "official" Hitachi 5xS715 thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 658 Old 03-21-2005, 06:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You ever hear of the "dark cloud" hanging over your head?

I have never heard a story such as the one above. 4 bad TV's.......unbelieveable.

Wish you the best of luck with the new one.

H

Thanks.

H
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 658 Old 03-21-2005, 07:17 AM

It was unbelievable to us too! After the third I measured the voltage coming out of the wall and the surge protector, verfied grounding on everything, and hoped for the best. Unfortunately we had the same OTA tuner failure with #4 as we did with #3.

We suspect our house is on top of an Indian burial ground.
post #363 of 658 Old 03-21-2005, 07:35 AM

Well my second one wasn't even delivered. Damaged in the warehouse, now I need to wait for another one to come in. I hope I'm not getting BigFoot48s retreads. :-) Two weeks and counting since purchase and no working tv yet. At least Sears keeps trying.

Eric
post #364 of 658 Old 03-23-2005, 06:05 PM

Has anyone been able to locate a center channel shelf? I believe the product number was SLF10 ? If you have, please let me know where.

Also, if anyone has purchased a generic shelf they like please pass along that info as well.

thanks!
post #365 of 658 Old 03-24-2005, 06:25 AM

American TV in Madison wi had a center speaker on a shelf of their display model several months ago. When I asked the sales guy he said they had several in stock. Didn't inquire at the time about price as I still haven't finished paying of the set. (got laid off).
post #366 of 658 Old 03-24-2005, 06:47 AM

I put self stick velcro on the top front of the tv - and the lower front of my center channel... then I used 2 rubber feet place under the back of the center channel to tilt the speaker towards me (down).
post #367 of 658 Old 03-24-2005, 06:49 AM

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/OmniM...oductDetail.do

This has been used by many members with sucess.

I just put the center channel under the TV in the center of the stand. Works fine.

H

Thanks.

H
post #368 of 658 Old 03-24-2005, 07:44 PM

great - thanks a lot guys.
post #369 of 658 Old 04-01-2005, 03:18 AM

I'm looking at either the Hitachi 57s715 or a 57h84 Tosh. I see on the specs of the Hitachi 57s715 says Virtual 1080p processor. What does this mean if the selectable output signal is only 540p/1080i?

Second, what brand and model number is the OTA tuner in the Hitachi 57s715? I assume I can use this with Dishnet Satellite?
post #370 of 658 Old 04-01-2005, 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by LookingG
I'm looking at either the Hitachi 57s715 or a 57h84 Tosh. I see on the specs of the Hitachi 57s715 says Virtual 1080p processor. What does this mean if the selectable output signal is only 540p/1080i?

Second, what brand and model number is the OTA tuner in the Hitachi 57s715? I assume I can use this with Dishnet Satellite?

Post #350 answers the first question. The OTA tuner is integrated into the set, and as such does not really have a seperate brand or model no. The integrated tuner is completely independent of any external devices you might hook up (such as a satellite STB).

Rob.
post #371 of 658 Old 04-01-2005, 06:52 AM

Ok, thanks. Seems kind of odd though to upconvert to 1080p then output to 1080i does it not? Sorry if this seems like a stupid question.

Right now I have the dishnet 811 HD STB. Will I still need the 811 or can I use the tuner in the Hitachi for ALL my channels both HD and SD?
post #372 of 658 Old 04-04-2005, 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by LookingG
Ok, thanks. Seems kind of odd though to upconvert to 1080p then output to 1080i does it not? Sorry if this seems like a stupid question.

Right now I have the dishnet 811 HD STB. Will I still need the 811 or can I use the tuner in the Hitachi for ALL my channels both HD and SD?

Not odd at all, digitally upconvert all signals to the highest resolution for processing, than downconvert to the highest resolution the display is capable of theoretically yields highest PQ (provided the scalars are good, no expert here but IMO the Hitachi is great).

The Hitachi tuner is not a DISH tuner, so will only tune OTA analog/digital channels. 811 will receive both OTA and DISH.
post #373 of 658 Old 04-06-2005, 10:29 AM

I have had a 57S715 for a couple of weeks and I have noticed something that concerns me. It seems that the HD feed that I am receiving from my antenna goes out of focus every now and then. I have only noticed this during the NCAA basketball games and I noticed it last night watching the Amazing Race. This doesn't mean that it isn't happening on other shows or channels, it just so happens that this has been most of my viewing on this TV. I would have to assume that this is a camera issue and not a TV, Tuner, or Antenna issue being that the feed is digital, but I just need some reassurance that the TV is okay. Unfortunately, there is no one else in my neighborhood watching HD and in particular from an antenna. Does anyone else see this problem?
post #374 of 658 Old 04-27-2005, 11:29 AM

Pulled the trigger Sat on a 51s715 and am loving it!

Got a noobie question. I have found the set up part of the menu where you can name the inputs(ie input 1 = DVD, input 3 = SAT) but when I press the input button on the remote they are still labelled input 1, input 2, etc. on the screen display. Aren't the names supposed to change after you select them in set up?

Am I missing something?
post #375 of 658 Old 04-27-2005, 03:32 PM

Finally, i'm getting my set delivered on Saturday. Its going to be sometime though before I can get it professionally calibrated, so I'm wondering which to use between Avia and DVE.

DVE is half the cost of Avia, but I'm having a hard time finding either one locally. Best Buy and Suncoast both say they have it on their site, but not in store so I'll have to order it. Want to make sure I get the "best" one
post #376 of 658 Old 04-28-2005, 06:08 AM

I ordered my 51S715 way back in August and got delivery in early September. At the same time I ordered a SLF-10 center shelf (and paid $40 for it). Checked in with Hitachi every few months, got the same story about not sure when/if production would resume/begin, and by January had pretty much given up. Last week I got a call from the store that my SLF-10 had arrived and indeed it had. I installed it last night. It's grey laminate over particle board, about 2/3 the width of the set. Basically, the shelf rests on the cabinet -- you take two screws out of the back cabinet and mount two brackets to which the shelf is then fastened. There is a wood strip along the back of the shelf that rests on the cabinet (velcro straps keep it from rattling) keeping it level. I had previously put together the white wire do-it-yourself shelf with fender washers and bolts described elsewhere on this thread, which also worked quite well, although it's a bit of a style statement. The SLF-10 blends pretty well. The only downside is that it says it is intended for a load of no more than 15 pounds. I'm not sure why the rating is so low -- it could handle a much heavier speaker, the main limitation is that it is sitting on the rear cabinet cover, which is of course plastic. Anyway, the SLF-10 does exist!
post #377 of 658 Old 04-28-2005, 06:19 PM

NABHDTVNOW,
Thanks for the info about the SLF-10. I gave up waiting and velcro'd my center speaker to top rim. Works like a charm for lo these past nine months. Course, the speaker only weights a few pounds.
post #378 of 658 Old 04-29-2005, 06:18 AM

bump!
(you know...inquiring minds!)

Quote:

Originally posted by chrish217
Pulled the trigger Sat on a 51s715 and am loving it!

Got a noobie question. I have found the set up part of the menu where you can name the inputs(ie input 1 = DVD, input 3 = SAT) but when I press the input button on the remote they are still labelled input 1, input 2, etc. on the screen display. Aren't the names supposed to change after you select them in set up?

Am I missing something?

post #379 of 658 Old 04-29-2005, 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by chrish217
bump!
(you know...inquiring minds!)

Okay okay . Press the info button and you will see the relabeled inputs.

Rob (57S715).
post #380 of 658 Old 04-29-2005, 09:01 AM

Thanks, Rob.

I knew it had to be something simple...just didn't see it in the owner's manual...and I re-read that section 3 or 4 times.
post #381 of 658 Old 04-29-2005, 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by rvsixer
Okay okay . Press the info button and you will see the relabeled inputs.

Rob (57S715).

So you are saying there is no way to change the labels on what comes up when you press the input button?
post #382 of 658 Old 04-30-2005, 11:34 AM

Right. When you hit the input button it wont change. It only adds the name you use when you hit the info button and it shows both in there. Mine shows for input 1 ypbr
stb
input 2 ypbr
dvd
post #383 of 658 Old 06-09-2005, 05:36 AM

Has anyone used the TV speakers as their center channel speaker? Did you have to put RCA jacks or banana plugs on your speaker wire to get them into the RCA jacks in the rear of the TV?

How does it sound? Does the TV remote volume control the volume of the center channel, or is it still controled by the receiver?
post #384 of 658 Old 06-09-2005, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruteWes View Post

Has anyone used the TV speakers as their center channel speaker? Did you have to put RCA jacks or banana plugs on your speaker wire to get them into the RCA jacks in the rear of the TV? How does it sound? Does the TV remote volume control the volume of the center channel, or is it still controled by the receiver?

You should use a matched L/R/C speaker set. The TV's built-in speakers sound like compared to any decent DD setup. RTFM for the rest.

Rob (57S715).
post #385 of 658 Old 06-28-2005, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsixer View Post

Not odd at all, digitally upconvert all signals to the highest resolution for processing, than downconvert to the highest resolution the display is capable of theoretically yields highest PQ (provided the scalars are good, no expert here but IMO the Hitachi is great).

The Hitachi tuner is not a DISH tuner, so will only tune OTA analog/digital channels. 811 will receive both OTA and DISH.

Is that right? I'm considering a 51S715 (if anyone knows of a current good B&M deal on one, please PM me) I assumed that the tuner on the XXs715 would take any input through the 1080p process . . . OTA, cable input, maybe DVD, etc. That's what I read post #350 to mean. I guess I don't understand the Virtual 1080p process that well.

Thanks in advance for any responses provided.
post #386 of 658 Old 06-30-2005, 06:49 AM

bump
post #387 of 658 Old 07-05-2005, 08:50 AM

bump again . . . I'm now scheduled to have one of these delivered at the end of the month, so I really would love to get an answer on this. Looking forward enjoying this set! Got a pretty decent deal IMO on it this past weekend.
post #388 of 658 Old 07-05-2005, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzman99 View Post

I have had a 57S715 for a couple of weeks and I have noticed something that concerns me. It seems that the HD feed that I am receiving from my antenna goes out of focus every now and then. I have only noticed this during the NCAA basketball games and I noticed it last night watching the Amazing Race. This doesn't mean that it isn't happening on other shows or channels, it just so happens that this has been most of my viewing on this TV. I would have to assume that this is a camera issue and not a TV, Tuner, or Antenna issue being that the feed is digital, but I just need some reassurance that the TV is okay. Unfortunately, there is no one else in my neighborhood watching HD and in particular from an antenna. Does anyone else see this problem?

If you are truly talking about focus, your focus block may be internally shorting. Don't think the state of the art cameras and feedthru gear used at the studios are all going to be having intermittents, tho I have seen this on the Leno show many times, on their gear. And NOT on Conan, in NY, where Leno is shot in Burbank, both NBC. So I distrust the Burbank local gear and not the gear at NBC central, nor the gear in NY. If both Leno and Conan had this spurious, intermittent out spike of unfocusness, I would have to distrust whatever gear at NBC central handles both their shows.

If it is BLURRINESS that you are talking about, that could be convergence, in which case your converence system might be exhibiting signs of cold solder joints at your convg ICs.

If cold solder joints at ANY brand's convg ICs are remedied early on, they rarely need replacement, just resodering those joints is all it takes. If it goes on for awhile, tho, the ICs get overly stressed out and need replacement, because if stressed like that they only stay stable for awhile after the resoldering, then go out again. You can always try resoldering first in this case, then replacement if necessary.

Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell
bob at imageperfection dot com
www.projectiontvtroubleshootingadvice.com
YouTube channel: mrbobbigscreen

post #389 of 658 Old 07-05-2005, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedAName View Post

Finally, i'm getting my set delivered on Saturday. Its going to be sometime though before I can get it professionally calibrated, so I'm wondering which to use between Avia and DVE.

DVE is half the cost of Avia, but I'm having a hard time finding either one locally. Best Buy and Suncoast both say they have it on their site, but not in store so I'll have to order it. Want to make sure I get the "best" one

DVE is hard to navigate, but has all the right patterns, including accurate grayscale patterns. If you get AVIA, the color decoder patterns are better than DVE's, but AVIA's grayscale patterns are not completely correct, due to a defect in the mastering process. This has been addressed by Guy Kuo - the creator of most of the AVIA patterns - on many occasions.

If you want to use the simple to navigate AVIA, whose geometry patterns are excellent and completely accurate, avoid their grayscale patterns and get SVGHT, which is only about $20. Its grayscale patterns are right on, and it contains some of the AVIA patterns, since they are both put out by Ovation Software.

If you do get AVIA, be sure to turn on the Repeat Pattern feature, in the initial set of pattern sections to choose, down in the lower left corner. Otherwise you'll be having to go back over and over and over again, when it advances on you on its own to the next pattern.

Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell
bob at imageperfection dot com
www.projectiontvtroubleshootingadvice.com
YouTube channel: mrbobbigscreen

post #390 of 658 Old 07-15-2005, 09:07 AM

Over in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=557009

I was asking about cleaning dust out of a 51S715. It occurred to me today that this may be the better thread to post in regarding how hard or easy it is for someone to periodically clean dust off any affected parts within this set.

Any responses are appreciated.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page