The "official" Hitachi 5xS715 thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 658 Old 04-21-2009, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I was just about to say that - Format button, lower left. Incredibly useful button, BTW, esp. if you want to guard your set against screenburn.

Now if Dish would only TURN DOWN THE LIGHT LEVEL OF THEIR GRAPHICS on their menus and guides. It's causing screenburn damage all over the world to anything with phosphors, and they just won't listen.

If your set's over 3 years old it's ALREADY in desperate need of optics cleaning. That HV really does a number on cleaning the air in there and depositing it all on your optics!

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell
bob at imageperfection dot com
www.projectiontvtroubleshootingadvice.com
YouTube channel: mrbobbigscreen

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 658 Old 04-21-2009, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Mr Bob, Any threads that outline the cleaning procedures you would recommend?

Thanks
post #633 of 658 Old 04-21-2009, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrranger View Post

Mr Bob, Any threads that outline the cleaning procedures you would recommend?

Thanks

I'll take the freedom to answer this one ...

The ONE that started all...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=695922

The information is scattered here and there through out the thread but everything you needed to know and more is there.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
Screening Room - The Dream House
RPCRT-TV Overscan Reduction
Reference Blu-Ray Demo Disc

Reference 2: Blu-Ray Demo Disc

The Best of the Demo Discs Demo Disc

post #634 of 658 Old 04-21-2009, 06:37 PM

Liked: 11
Superleo, Thanks for the info!
post #635 of 658 Old 04-22-2009, 03:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes it's all there, that and more. Just settle in for taking on 180 pages. You may need LOTS of coffee...

If you want to cut thru all that and get it from the horse's mouth, not just about optics cleaning but also about any phase of the calibration process - and lots of repairs as well - my contact info is below. I started that thread, almost 3 years ago, and that it's still so very much alive is a testament not only to the incredible efficacy and long lasting nature of CRT triple gun as a medium, but to the intrepid owners of same, who literally came out of the woodwork to support my stand, and have been incredible stalwarts ever since as well.

That thread is STILL going strong! I plan to pop a cork soon, at its 200th page -

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #636 of 658 Old 06-11-2009, 06:30 PM

Liked: 10
I'll let my cluelessness keep the thread going here...

So I have the 51" S715 and have recently wanted to start watching streaming Netflix on it. I hooked up my laptop with an S-Video out cable to the front panel and can get a reasonable picture and watch a film that way. But I noticed that screen gets cropped pretty much on all sides.. Like it's making the image too big for the physical screen to render. Makes it very hard to see the Windows task bar and browser menus for that matter.

I've never noticed much cropping from my DVD player, but most of those have centered menus so maybe it's been this way all along.

I mull this over and chalk it up to cheesy s-video technology. So I decide to build myself a fulltime HTPC to use instead of the laptop. I bought a new motherboard with an Nvidia 9400 iGP (the Gigabyte E7AUM-DS2H for the record), build the box, install Linux (I would like to keep it 'open source' if I can) and hook it up to the Hitachi, this time using a DVI->HDMI cable.

Same problem. Can't see the top or bottom menu bars of the computer screen. So it's not just s-video, or the laptop, or Windows, or Linux, etc. It was using 16x9 mode so I tried cycling through the Aspect options but all the alternatives (only 16x9 zoom and 4x3 expanded) were worse.

Is this overscan? Some incorrect resolution issue? Nothing in the menus seems to let me try adjusting the scaling (I remember old TV sets with position and sizing knobs, but that seems to be a relic). How do I get the image shrunk down so that I can see the tops and bottoms (and sides I presume too) of the computer screen when displayed on the Hitachi? Do i need to open up the box and play with the trimpots?

Help!
post #637 of 658 Old 06-11-2009, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianbloom View Post

I'll let my cluelessness keep the thread going here...

So I have the 51" S715 and have recently wanted to start watching streaming Netflix on it. I hooked up my laptop with an S-Video out cable to the front panel and can get a reasonable picture and watch a film that way. But I noticed that screen gets cropped pretty much on all sides.. Like it's making the image too big for the physical screen to render. Makes it very hard to see the Windows task bar and browser menus for that matter.

I've never noticed much cropping from my DVD player, but most of those have centered menus so maybe it's been this way all along.

I mull this over and chalk it up to cheesy s-video technology. So I decide to build myself a fulltime HTPC to use instead of the laptop. I bought a new motherboard with an Nvidia 9400 iGP (the Gigabyte E7AUM-DS2H for the record), build the box, install Linux (I would like to keep it 'open source' if I can) and hook it up to the Hitachi, this time using a DVI->HDMI cable.

Same problem. Can't see the top or bottom menu bars of the computer screen. So it's not just s-video, or the laptop, or Windows, or Linux, etc. It was using 16x9 mode so I tried cycling through the Aspect options but all the alternatives (only 16x9 zoom and 4x3 expanded) were worse.

Is this overscan? Some incorrect resolution issue? Nothing in the menus seems to let me try adjusting the scaling (I remember old TV sets with position and sizing knobs, but that seems to be a relic). How do I get the image shrunk down so that I can see the tops and bottoms (and sides I presume too) of the computer screen when displayed on the Hitachi? Do i need to open up the box and play with the trimpots?

Help!

The best way is the shimming op, but DK if that will be enough.

I have never heard of a PC that didn't have the capacity for sizing and placement BEFORE it ever went out and hit the display. That's where you should be altering it, inside the PC.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #638 of 658 Old 06-12-2009, 12:14 AM

Re: computer display on s715

I played a bit more with it. Interestingly, when the computer is booting and showing the text-based BIOS screens, those fit just fine on the TV - no overscan. But once Windows loads (or X-Windows in linux), then the higher resolution screens simply push off the edges (all sides).

The linux machine I built defaults to 1920x1080 as "native resolution" on the Hitachi ("Model Hitachi PTV Model DFP-0, Chip location: Internal, Signal: TMDS") with a flickery 60 Hz refresh rate. I can set other resolutions (like 1280x720, 1440x480 (?!), 800x600) and so on, but those just make the pixels on the screen larger and still have the edges of the screen clipped off. So it doesn't appear to just be a resolution setting on the computer that's needed to resolve this.

Do we know what settings I *should* be trying to run at for HTPC purposes?. I'll have to look into the "shimming" you mentioned. I kinda thought this would just "work".

*sigh*
post #639 of 658 Old 06-12-2009, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

ALL CRT RPTVs come with overscan, it's endemic to the genre. The ceiling pj CRTs don't, they can give you all the scanning you need. But the RPTV versions were not so graciously designed. They all skimped on what it would take to really do it right, they fidured Joe Sixpack really didn't care, and they were right. But those same displays CAN do it right, once properly set up. O'scan redux is one of the most popular of my operations, in my calibrations of CRT RPTVs.

Most PCs can size the content correctly to fit the screen, or you can resize whatever you have with a Lumagen processor.

Just know that reducing o'scan is not for the faint of heart. Even if you do go in and alter the sizing pots - MARK THEIR POSITIONS FIRST, IF YOU DO, SO YOU CAN GET BACK TO THE GARDEN, YOU MAY NEED A GOOD BREAD CRUMBS TRAIL! - the hosing it does to your picture requires lots of dedicated work, to get it back to being coherent. Reducing the o'scan is definitely a desirable mod, and worth the effort.

But again, not for the faint of heart. I do it all the time so it's no big deal to me, but for a newbie, you can paint yourself into a corner REAL fast on this seemingly - but not! - innocuous op.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #640 of 658 Old 01-17-2010, 10:12 AM

Two questions:

1. Does anyone know where I could beg, borrow, steal, or buy the service manual(s) for the Hitachi 51S715 ?

2. Does anyone know if there was ever an upgraded Firmware for this model ?
I've seen references to it, but never seen a post where someone actually
found and installed upgraded firmware .
post #641 of 658 Old 01-18-2010, 10:57 AM

I have an Old hitachi UltraVision RPTV issue, when a dark scene is present the screen flickers. It appears like the TV loss the Sync from the source.

This happens only on Component sources 480P and above resolution. I normally view 720p, but have tried 480p and 1080i and this issue is still present.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
post #642 of 658 Old 01-29-2010, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 161
I need help guys, I have looked through all 27 pages of this models forum and I can't find anything. My setup is as follows: Comcast Cable Box, Xbox 360, BluRay Player. All connected via hdmi to a iogear autosensing hdmi switch. From there it goes into my Hitachi using a really good Monster Cable HDMI cable. For a while now when I try to watch cable or even xbox my tv will display a message saying something like "No HDCP connection found" or something similar. I narrowed it down to the TV because I tried another hd set I have it works fine. The switch senses the different components and it changes the output fine. Somehow my tv (not always, but more often) is not detecting the HDMI signal. I have connected the devices directly to the TV and the same thing happens, except the message is different and I dont know if the message is coming from the cable box or the tv but the message is something like " Your hd signal has been compromised please change your display or something like that". One thing I forgot to mention that when this happens the picture is displayed for a second then it switches to a green screen with sound only. Any ideas? Is there a way to update the software on the tv? I know there is a slot for an update card ont he back but I have never seen were to get updates or how?
post #643 of 658 Old 01-31-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna1466u View Post

I need help guys, I have looked through all 27 pages of this models forum and I can't find anything. My setup is as follows: Comcast Cable Box, Xbox 360, BluRay Player. All connected via hdmi to a iogear autosensing hdmi switch. From there it goes into my Hitachi using a really good Monster Cable HDMI cable. For a while now when I try to watch cable or even xbox my tv will display a message saying something like "No HDCP connection found" or something similar. I narrowed it down to the TV because I tried another hd set I have it works fine. The switch senses the different components and it changes the output fine. Somehow my tv (not always, but more often) is not detecting the HDMI signal. I have connected the devices directly to the TV and the same thing happens, except the message is different and I dont know if the message is coming from the cable box or the tv but the message is something like " Your hd signal has been compromised please change your display or something like that". One thing I forgot to mention that when this happens the picture is displayed for a second then it switches to a green screen with sound only. Any ideas? Is there a way to update the software on the tv? I know there is a slot for an update card ont he back but I have never seen were to get updates or how?

It comes in the form of a SD memory card , there is a slot in the back of the TV . Call Hitachi they will sent it out for free with return postage I don't know if that will solve your problem but you should get the free updates
post #644 of 658 Old 01-31-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukhog View Post

It comes in the form of a SD memory card , there is a slot in the back of the TV . Call Hitachi they will sent it out for free with return postage I don't know if that will solve your problem but you should get the free updates

By the way had mine hit since 2005 and had no problems, looks great too.
post #645 of 658 Old 07-04-2010, 12:53 PM

We just had a storm come through the other day and when we got homei turned on the tv and nothing. The blue button light flashes for a fw seconds, then stays solid like normal, but no picture. I push menu on remote and nothing. I did NOT have a surge protector... Anybody know how to troubleshoot? I've heard fuses could be blown, but where are they? Please help! Don't have the cash right now to upgrade, even though I'd like to.
post #646 of 658 Old 11-30-2010, 03:26 PM

Ok, I got one of these 57S715's oh 'bout 6 or 7 years back. Has treated me nice over the years. But the old girl is starting to give out. Screen is on the dark side with the brightness turned all the way up, color is starting to fade and needs constant pumping up, and a few other things, nothing serious. As for the brightness, well it get better as the TV warms up it seems, but god awful for the first 10 or so minutes after turning it on.

Just bought a 42" LCD for the bedroom and will buy a 55 or 60 to replace the Hitachi in the family room. What I'm undecided about is whether to dump the Hitachi altogether, or try and resurrect it for duty in the newly finished basement's family area. To me there's still a level of warmth these sets can give up that the flats can't. Just wondering if it would be worth it cash wise to bring the old girl back to specs. Anyone have any experience resurrecting these old dogs?

Mr. Bob, if you're still cruising through from time to time, what are the arguments for bringing the S715 back, and arguments against. Am I looking at a bill nearing a new flat panel?
post #647 of 658 Old 11-30-2010, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd have to see it or get more info. Dimness can be from the optics being dirty - as they all do eventually - and if so can be restored to dazzling brilliance just from a pro grade optics cleaning, one that can be done by the owner himself with the proper guidance.

Or perhaps the guns are not getting enough energy and the Screen controls have to be realigned. Or the buffer resistors need to be played with, your filaments may have cold solder joints and not be getting enough energy.

I know of lots of Hit owners with sets your set's age, who are not experiencing any of these things. They love their sets. There are at least 5 huge threads just here on the AVS started and attended by Hit owners, dedicated to making sure all owners get the best performance possible from these great sets. I have not seen that with any other brand here.

Gotta be dedicated enough to pay for some troubleshooting, whether it leads to expensive or inexpensive results. No decent opinion can be obtained without enough data.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #648 of 658 Old 02-03-2011, 12:33 AM

I have had my Hitachi 57s715, it's been great. About 3 months ago we noticed that the picture (only in the darker scenes) was VERY dark, and it's progressively getting worse. If there is a scene outside at night, we literally see BLACK. Even african americans on the TV, it's very hard to make out their faces. Any help would be MUCH appreciated!
post #649 of 658 Old 02-03-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkeleydb View Post

Two questions:

1. Does anyone know where I could beg, borrow, steal, or buy the service manual(s) for the Hitachi 51S715 ?

2. Does anyone know if there was ever an upgraded Firmware for this model ?
I've seen references to it, but never seen a post where someone actually
found and installed upgraded firmware .

Hello,

The latest firmware version shows as 0142.0001.

Regards,

Joe

ISF Trained video calibrator
Anthem / Paradigm factory authorized SE Michigan custom dealer
Virtual Business Card
Spectroradiometer equipped
Control Cal 8G/9G Pioneer Kuro calibrator
post #650 of 658 Old 02-03-2011, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericpd View Post

To me there's still a level of warmth these sets can give up that the flats can't. Just wondering if it would be worth it cash wise to bring the old girl back to specs. Anyone have any experience resurrecting these old dogs?

Mr. Bob, if you're still cruising through from time to time, what are the arguments for bringing the S715 back, and arguments against. Am I looking at a bill nearing a new flat panel?

Yes I have immense experience in resurrection of these classic sets, regardless of brand or model.

Check out this thread, which I started more than 4 years ago and is still going strong, dedicated to how I and a few of my friends who also own CRT tech, feel about CRT technology:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...95922&page=266

Also check out the Screenshot War! thread, with mostly CRT pix. Any that are not from CRT - that are from digital - are ID'd as such.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...00831&page=168

I will bring your set back so huge you won't even think about buying new. My process will produce images and performance in your CRT set that leaves much of what's new out there today in the dust. Sure you can spend the big money and match CRT performance, but buck for buck, get me on the case and I'll make it more than worth your while to hang on to what you have, if it's HDready. Chances are afterwards you will wind up thousands of dollars ahead, if you keep your CRT set and get it dialed in properly instead of replacing it.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #651 of 658 Old 09-19-2011, 12:04 PM

Hi Joe,

Do you know what the updated firmware took care of? I've owned mine since 2004. No problems...fully ISF'd about 3-4 years ago. Folks still marvel at the picture.

Thanks
post #652 of 658 Old 09-23-2011, 11:40 AM

Hello all, thiis is my first post. I apologize in advance if this post is not thread appropriate. I was recently given an Hitachi 57S715 CRT rear projection television and was told by the owner that it was not working. I took it home and plugged it up and got a picture on the screen. Everything appeared to be functioning normally. However, when I turned it on the next time, the blue light on the front of the television would just blink continuosly with nothing appearing on the screen. When I press the magic focus button on the front of the television, it would go through its sequence of displaying red, then blue, then green on the screen, then nothing. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. I would really prefer to repair the television myself if possible. Thx.
post #653 of 658 Old 09-23-2011, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samjc View Post

Hi Joe,

Do you know what the updated firmware took care of? I've owned mine since 2004. No problems...fully ISF'd about 3-4 years ago. Folks still marvel at the picture.

Thanks

If your optics have never been cleaned, now's the time. At 7 years of use they will be hugely dirty by now, and ISF does not teach this, it is not in their domain. You have been looking at a picture that's been bleary for years, due to the static cling caused by the high voltage. This is normal in CRT RPTV tech. Doesn't mean it has to be that way, tho. Regular optics need to be cleaned every year without fail, and the deeper optics every few years, on those types of optics that need that additional step.

Contact me if you want how to do it safely and repeatedly - still safely - from the horse's mouth -

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #654 of 658 Old 11-25-2011, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

At the risk of repeating myself, this was just posted on another thread, thought I'd share it with you here, it has some as yet uncovered-here info in it -

Quote:
Originally Posted by najames View Post

Holy Cow Dave Harper!!! You said ISF is in Florida, so I decided to see where they're located. They're about 5-10 minutes from my house!! Didn't even know it, too darned funny.

I have an elderly Pioneer SD-532HD5 like this one.

http://www4.shopping.com/xFS?KW=pion...Video&FD=85747

I might just need to have this thing calibrated some day. It works OK and has been moved across the country twice, in storage for a couple years, never been touched except when I used the Avia disk set it up initially and when I moved here in Boca Raton 3 years ago.

Just noticed this post in another thread, from way back in '05.

Just so you know, those "elderly" CRT RPTVs are not old, they have a 20 year service life - or more, I've seen it, recently heard about a 29 year old Panny CRT 50" that's still cranking away just fine - and at today's stage are only halfway thru it. I know of an "old" curved screen bounce-off-the-screen Sears CRT whose guns fire at the hinged mirror that you pull out and let fall into place to start it up, that's still cranking away just fine too. We've been looking for someone to take it home and keep it going, or hopefully get it to some sort of video museum, tho I have never actually heard of one...

Well treated by their owners re. usage, light levels and avoidance of screenburn, they are capable of WAY better than new performance, even at 11 years old.

I am being flown all over the country cleaning and calibrating these "elderly" beasts, which are capable of incredible HD, head and shoulders better than a lot of the "affordable" fixed pixel offerings out there in today's marketplace. And better looking in some ways than all fixed pixel offerings.

The main thing that not everybody knows about them is that their optics need to be cleaned yearly, and on some brands - like the Pioneers, be they Elite or non-Elite - the "deeper optics" need it every few years as well. That's because of the air gap between the lens barrels and the CRT coolant covers, where 6 additional surfaces get invaded by dust, soot, smoke and all manner of other airborn contaminants, and thus compromised because of the high voltage turning them into powerful, continuous dust magnets every moment they are powered on. There's 28 optical surfaces in there that need to stay crystal clear, 10 of which get heavily compromised because of the HV. When all 28 surfaces are clean and polished and you have a crystal clear light path again, the results are truly astonishing. Like getting a brand new TV for a simple hour's work.

Just doing this one thing gives your "elderly" set a brand new looking picture - in my area my calibrations are called "The Sparkle Process" - and calibration after that is just incredible icing on the cake.

I started the "Don't Dump Your CRT RPTV!" thread here on AVS more than 5 years ago, and it is still going strong, with over 300 complete pages so far and over 9000 posts. If you have a CRT RPTV at all, HD or non-HD, I invite you to go over there and check it out.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...95922&page=327

If you have a CRT RPTV or know someone who does and want info about how to do your optics cleaning with no damage - those soft plastic surfaces in there are incredibly delicate, vulnerable and easily scratched, and any damage to them is permanent - contact me directly, by email or phone. No pm's please!

Thx -

Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #655 of 658 Old 05-23-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwell84 View Post

Hello all, thiis is my first post. I apologize in advance if this post is not thread appropriate. I was recently given an Hitachi 57S715 CRT rear projection television and was told by the owner that it was not working. I took it home and plugged it up and got a picture on the screen. Everything appeared to be functioning normally. However, when I turned it on the next time, the blue light on the front of the television would just blink continuosly with nothing appearing on the screen. When I press the magic focus button on the front of the television, it would go through its sequence of displaying red, then blue, then green on the screen, then nothing. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. I would really prefer to repair the television myself if possible. Thx.

Same problem. Mine just blinks. No picture unless I go into the service menu OR hit Magic Focus. Everything looks great when I get a picture. I checked all the fuses and even cleaned it out, nothing. Also, the Crt's don't light up at all unless I go into magic focus or the service menu. Any help would be appreciated.
post #656 of 658 Old 05-26-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Since your MF works, you know your HV is OK, your sweep is OK on H and V, your convergence is most likely OK and your audio may even be OK. Same for your filaments.

Looks like your set not getting your content to your screen is the issue. Somewhere on the signal chain/path it's getting lost/being neutralized/disappearing.

Could be losing it anywhere on the signal path. Could be your input board, your signal board, your socket boards...

Let us know once you figure it out -

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #657 of 658 Old 02-21-2013, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

i figured this is the most appropriate place for this question...will my 57F710S handle the games from a PS3 without issue? i've been reading different things about 1080i compatibility and i may be buying my gf a PS3 and want to make sure the games will look at least as good as my HD tv shows smile.gif

57 inch Hitachi 57F710S
Tivo Premiere w/DB8 antenna which gets in VHF 6
Sony T60 2-160 drives unsubbed
Panasonic E80 Dvd recorder
post #658 of 658 Old 02-23-2013, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

As I said in my "Don't Dump your CRT RPTV!" thread:

I have seen many PS3s look fabulous on our CRT RPTV technology regardless of brand, both on games and on HD video content. Anything that's capable of putting out 1080i will look stunning on a fully clean, fully dialed in Hitachi, regardless of model number. Just set the PS3 to go no higher than 1080i. Your set won't do 1080p, which requires escalated technology that the manufacturers saw would not be cost effective for CRT RPTV and so did not make that huge investment in R&D for. And delivers substantially no better picture than our 1080i sets, for our purposes.

As with all games, be very conscious of fixed images like scoreboards and borders. Same when using your set for computer monitoring.

And chances are your Hitachi will last a whole lot longer than anything easily affordable that you will buy new today.

Maybe some Hitachi owners would like to chime in here, hopefully with screenshots of games in action.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page