Forum Jump: 

post #5161 of 8197 Old 03-03-2006, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeInNVa View Post

Maybe a piece of Dust inside the monitor?

No, because when I turned off the TV, then it's not there. I had a 13 year old RPTV that had severe burn in issue and this feels just like that, but I know that's impossible, so I don't know what to think...

I guess this is unique to my TV set then, interesting...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5162 of 8197 Old 03-03-2006, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upa123 View Post

No, because when I turned off the TV, then it's not there. I had a 13 year old RPTV that had severe burn in issue and this feels just like that, but I know that's impossible, so I don't know what to think...

I guess this is unique to my TV set then, interesting...

It has to be a piece of dust inside the TV. I have the same kind of thing btw !
post #5163 of 8197 Old 03-03-2006, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrub View Post

It has to be a piece of dust inside the TV. I have the same kind of thing btw !

Interesting, let's say it is a dust, any idea on whether I can service that myself?

Thanks!
post #5164 of 8197 Old 03-03-2006, 09:38 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by upa123 View Post

Interesting, let's say it is a dust, any idea on whether I can service that myself?

Thanks!

I would call Toshiba and have them send out a local repair guy. Why mess with it when its still under warranty?

Exitus acta probat...
post #5165 of 8197 Old 03-03-2006, 02:31 PM
rfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr View Post

I'm asking Toshiba CS now if they attach anything. When I hear from them one way or the other I'll know what to ask the retailer (Digital1234.com -- cheaper than BD).

Thanks again!

According to TCS, they do not affix any tilt or shock detection devices to their TV shipping containers.

So the ones that have been spotted are from retailers or shipping companies.
post #5166 of 8197 Old 03-03-2006, 03:02 PM

I purchased a 56MX195 a little over 3 months ago. The last few days the picture quality hasn't been as good. Then when I was watching Lost on Wednesday night the screen was so dark I had to turn the brightness all the way up just so we could see the scenes at night. Yesterday the screen went dark with a strange noise. Toshiba has a bulb on the way to me (delivery scheduled for Tuesday next week). I look at this forum alot and have been reading about the bulb failures. I just wanted to post to let others know the bulb failure is happening more than Toshiba is admitting to.
post #5167 of 8197 Old 03-03-2006, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Daddy View Post

I purchased a 56MX195 a little over 3 months ago. The last few days the picture quality hasn't been as good. Then when I was watching Lost on Wednesday night the screen was so dark I had to turn the brightness all the way up just so we could see the scenes at night. Yesterday the screen went dark with a strange noise. Toshiba has a bulb on the way to me (delivery scheduled for Tuesday next week). I look at this forum alot and have been reading about the bulb failures. I just wanted to post to let others know the bulb failure is happening more than Toshiba is admitting to.

Was it out in the open,or in an enclosure?

56HM195/TH-50PX600U/LC-46D64U TW/2 Moto 6416 DVRS/1 Tosh HD-A1 v2.0/1 HD-A2C v2.5 Misc. Audio
post #5168 of 8197 Old 03-03-2006, 03:48 PM

Its out in the open. The closest wall is about 3 inches from the back of the T.V.
post #5169 of 8197 Old 03-03-2006, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Daddy View Post

Its out in the open. The closest wall is about 3 inches from the back of the T.V.

Well,hope you get it quick.

56HM195/TH-50PX600U/LC-46D64U TW/2 Moto 6416 DVRS/1 Tosh HD-A1 v2.0/1 HD-A2C v2.5 Misc. Audio
post #5170 of 8197 Old 03-03-2006, 06:16 PM

ZDADDY did you have the bulb set to low or high bright? Fast restart or normal? Thanks
post #5171 of 8197 Old 03-03-2006, 06:44 PM

Liked: 12
Fellas,

Normally I hate people who come onto a forum and whine to get answers, but after FIVE service calls here for my new tv, nothing has been remedied.

My problem is this:
During viewing, emanating from the bottom left and bottom right corners of my Toshiba 56Hm195 are shadows travelling diagonally up towards the center of the screen. The type of input doesnt matter, it shows up on both component (hd cable box) and hdmi (dvd player). When there are darker colours on screen, they are almost unnoticeable. But during bright light scenes or uniform colours (like a MPAA rating screen) they are extremely noticeable. The service guys were here today to replace my entire light engine and that only succeeded in moving the worse of the two shadows from the right to left hand side. Previously they'd tried to fix some filtering problem and also trimming away some felt piece near the bulb.

I havent got a camera on hand at the moment, but picture if you held a flashlight against a wall, and shone it up the wall. I get that in the bottom corners of my screen, only it's a shadow instead of light.

Basically they're out of ideas and so am I. The strange thing is that I havent heard anyone else voice this problem. Any help or advice on what this might be would be EXTREMELY appreciated.
post #5172 of 8197 Old 03-03-2006, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NR4P View Post

ZDADDY did you have the bulb set to low or high bright? Fast restart or normal? Thanks

I kept the bulb on low hoping to extend bulb life.........normal restart. I turned the bulb on high maybe ten times just to check it out. One thing I didnt mention in my first post is the T.V. made a very strange noise on start up about 3 days before the bulb blew. It sounded like the cooling fan that comes on when you turn it on was turning three times the speed (very loud) it went away after about 1 minute. It only happened 1 time. Just more info for anyone who wants to know.
post #5173 of 8197 Old 03-03-2006, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo1717 View Post

Fellas,

Normally I hate people who come onto a forum and whine to get answers, but after FIVE service calls here for my new tv, nothing has been remedied.

My problem is this:
During viewing, emanating from the bottom left and bottom right corners of my Toshiba 56Hm195 are shadows travelling diagonally up towards the center of the screen. The type of input doesnt matter, it shows up on both component (hd cable box) and hdmi (dvd player). When there are darker colours on screen, they are almost unnoticeable. But during bright light scenes or uniform colours (like a MPAA rating screen) they are extremely noticeable. The service guys were here today to replace my entire light engine and that only succeeded in moving the worse of the two shadows from the right to left hand side. Previously they'd tried to fix some filtering problem and also trimming away some felt piece near the bulb.

I havent got a camera on hand at the moment, but picture if you held a flashlight against a wall, and shone it up the wall. I get that in the bottom corners of my screen, only it's a shadow instead of light.

Basically they're out of ideas and so am I. The strange thing is that I havent heard anyone else voice this problem. Any help or advice on what this might be would be EXTREMELY appreciated.

Steveo,
I hate to sound to basic but it could be dust or plastic shaving somewhere near the screen mirror or the mirrors on the LE or the Lamp. Sounds like something is blocking the light. It could be very small in actual size.

Good luck
post #5174 of 8197 Old 03-03-2006, 07:58 PM

Hello, just like to add my experience with my 52HMX85 (Canadian). I purchased the TV on Dec 27 2005, TV was manufactured in Nov 2005. Bulb blew on Feb 25.... not even 2 months of use & only 426 hours on bulb. I was lucky in that a service center here in edmonton had bulbs in stock, however, it looked the same as the old one.... has toshiba revised the bulbs at all? I'm worried I got old stock though the bulb box said it was delivered Feb 14.

The service tech also updated my firmware to version 19. It seemed like nobody knew about this update at all, (even many toshiba service centers & all reps I talked to), so any any canadians make sure you get it!
post #5175 of 8197 Old 03-04-2006, 05:13 AM

Quote:

Fellas,

My problem is this:

I have the same thing...its not VERY noticable, If I ask my wife or my kid if they see it they wont unless I point it out to them...To me it looks like the lines follow the contour of the back of the cabinet...I might call Tosh about it before my warranty is up... besides..I'm worried more about a potential bulb problem..see below...

Exitus acta probat...
post #5176 of 8197 Old 03-04-2006, 05:17 AM

Last night when first turing on the TV I saw a picture for a few seconds...then...black screen..no pop noise just black screen...the blue light was on and the yellow was blinking..maybe for 4 or 5 blinks..then the TV reset itself it seemed and turned on with no other issues...turned on this morning normally...anyone ever have this and more importantly..anyone ever have this preceeding a particular part failure ie. light engine etc....

Wondering...

Exitus acta probat...
post #5177 of 8197 Old 03-04-2006, 05:41 AM

zdaddy thanks. Your info helps on the bulb and first with normal restart.

I started a survey in another forum

http://www.highdefforum.com/showthre...1&page=1&pp=10

and your data here combined with that shows
From the 8 responses total, 7 out of 8 had bulb on Low Power (one had on Low Power most of the time). All but you had quick restart. One on high power lost the bulb.

7/8 on Low power = 87%. Now all but one (zdaddy) had quick restart on (87%).
I wonder what other people are seeing with high power on bulb, or normal restart?

Could low power on bulb be keeping the lamps running below normal design parameters? Or the quick restart feature where the bulb runs at 50% for 4 minutes when shut down to cool be contributing?

Would appreciate hearing from more folks particularly with NO failures and their settings. Perhaps putting in the other thread above to keep it in one place.
post #5178 of 8197 Old 03-04-2006, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkazepis View Post

Last night when first turing on the TV I saw a picture for a few seconds...then...black screen..no pop noise just black screen...the blue light was on and the yellow was blinking..maybe for 4 or 5 blinks..then the TV reset itself it seemed and turned on with no other issues...turned on this morning normally...anyone ever have this and more importantly..anyone ever have this preceeding a particular part failure ie. light engine etc....

Wondering...

Sorry, but get ready for the bulb to blow. Should be within the next week. The same thing happened to me before my bulb blew.
post #5179 of 8197 Old 03-04-2006, 04:13 PM

Liked: 12
bkazepis,

Let me know if the technicians figure anything out and improve things for you, if you do get them over to take a look at this shadow business...I'd appreciate any help you can give
post #5180 of 8197 Old 03-04-2006, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin95 View Post

Sorry, but get ready for the bulb to blow. Should be within the next week. The same thing happened to me before my bulb blew.

So the same thing happened to you? How many times did it happen?

Exitus acta probat...
post #5181 of 8197 Old 03-04-2006, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The first time it happened was about a week before the bulb finally went. Several times during that week, when I went to turn on the TV, it reset itself before it finally came on. I'd say it happened 3-4 times before it stopped working altogether. If it doesn't happen again over the next couple of days, you may be alright. If it does, do yourself a favor and call Toshiba right away. Good luck.
post #5182 of 8197 Old 03-05-2006, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NODLP4ME View Post

I purchased my 62HM95 on Aug. 4th this year.
Last Friday pop goes the lamp. (about 1800 Hours)
Yes that's a lot of hours for less than 4 months
But my last TV a pioneer 60 rear projection went for 12 years
With the same amount of use before the first service call.
I can't even imagine this $3000 TV after 12 years.
Lets see 3 lamps a year times $329.00 times 12 years.
$11,844.00 over twelve years. Ouch Why did I do this to myself.
And that's only for the lamps. I'm sure there will be other service calls.
I should have visited this forum before I bought into DLP
I would have bought another CRT type rear projection TV in HD.
Do I smell a class action suit on DLP technology!
Oh and that's the good news the bad news is that it will take 3 weeks to get a replacement lamp from Toshiba.
That's 336 hours I won't be using the TV Oh wait that would be 336 hours 3 times a year times 12 years = 12,096 hours over 12 years.. But wait / that by 1800 hours that's 6.72 lamps I will not need over the 12 year period. So lets see.
329*6.72=$2210.88 I better stop I'm just pissing myself off.

Same Crap Different Day
Exactly the same as last time only this time it's wasn't a holiday.
The replacement lamp only lasted 3 months.
Last night I noticed the picture getting darker tried to turn up the brightness and that made very little difference so I turned the lamp to high bright mode this morning turned on the TV after about 4 hours Poof pop lamp blows up. I'm still not totally convinced it's all a lamp problem seems to me it could be a problem with the voltage regulators in these sets. I can't call till Monday I wonder how bad the back orders are this time.
Last time it took all most 4 weeks to get a lamp.
I love this TV but I hate this Crap!
post #5183 of 8197 Old 03-05-2006, 03:03 PM

I bought the 62" Cinema Series in August, and thanfully a 5 year extended warranty. Well, a little over a week ago we had vertical white stripes/bands (thin) going through every couple inches or so. It was picked up a week ago and not sure how long it will take to get fixed. Man - got used to the TV and we don't know what to do without it now. I have *NEVER* had problems with my 3 other Toshiba Televisions. So it is alarming to have problems with this one. I think they are replacing the DLP engine (not sure). But 5-year warranty or not, I will sell this thing if it is going to die on me every few months.

Also, I have been away from the forum for a while. Is there any way to get the TV to come on without going into the TV guide automatically? Are there software updates I should have them do to it? Should they also replace the bulb and do a professional recalibration?

Thanks
post #5184 of 8197 Old 03-05-2006, 03:28 PM

My bulb blew yesterday, purchased the set on Dec 18. Probably around 1500 hrs of actual running on it. Have an APC power conditioner hooked up and all, saw that the screen was getting dim, tried the high lamp mode and all that crap. Went and took a shower and came back and no picture, just flashing lights. Called Tosh and was told that a lamp was going to be O/N to a repair center and they would call me to let me know. Really, this is utterly ridiculous for a bulb.
post #5185 of 8197 Old 03-05-2006, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny64 View Post

Also, I have been away from the forum for a while. Is there any way to get the TV to come on without going into the TV guide automatically?

While the TV guide is on the screen, highlight setup, scroll down to general defaults, press enter. On the left side of the screen you will see the general defaults box. Scroll down to auto guide and select off. Scroll to "done" and hit enter. The TV guide will now NOT start until you hit the TV guide button on the remote.

Quote:

Are there software updates I should have them do to it?

There is an update to fix some issues with the TV guide and cable cards. If you do not use a cable card there is no need to get the update. If you do, call Toshiba and they will send you the update on an SD memory card which you would install yourself. It's pretty simple.

Quote:

Should they also replace the bulb and do a professional recalibration?

They will not replace the bulb if there's nothing wrong with it. Either it works, or it doesn't. Also, I would recommend a professional calibration, if you can afford it.
post #5186 of 8197 Old 03-05-2006, 05:42 PM

Hello, I recently purchased a toshiba 52hmx95 dlp tv. I have a few concerns and am not sure what roads to take to fix them. I have searched the forum and didn't find much help, so I apologize if these questions have been asked. I currently have the tv hooked up with regular cable (digital cable with hd two weeks away). The picture does not look that good with regular cable (which i think should be expected). However, when I put a dvd in and watch it, the picture is much better, but still not where I think it should be. Now, I am only connecting my dvd player to the tv via an s-video cable. Could this be my problem? Do I need to connect via a hdmi cable? I am sure the cable picture quality will change with the digital cable and hd channels, but I dont know what to do about the dvd player? I wonder if I am sitting too close to the tv (approx 10 1/2 feet)? Is my screen too big for my viewing space? Should I have gotten the 46" tv instead? I appreciate any information anyone can give me. I am not very familiar with hdtv so I have tinkered with the tv's setting only a little bit. Thanks again.
Ryan
post #5187 of 8197 Old 03-05-2006, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpvp40 View Post

Hello, I recently purchased a toshiba 52hmx95 dlp tv. I have a few concerns and am not sure what roads to take to fix them. I have searched the forum and didn't find much help, so I apologize if these questions have been asked. I currently have the tv hooked up with regular cable (digital cable with hd two weeks away). The picture does not look that good with regular cable (which i think should be expected). However, when I put a dvd in and watch it, the picture is much better, but still not where I think it should be. Now, I am only connecting my dvd player to the tv via an s-video cable. Could this be my problem? Do I need to connect via a hdmi cable? I am sure the cable picture quality will change with the digital cable and hd channels, but I dont know what to do about the dvd player? I wonder if I am sitting too close to the tv (approx 10 1/2 feet)? Is my screen too big for my viewing space? Should I have gotten the 46" tv instead? I appreciate any information anyone can give me. I am not very familiar with hdtv so I have tinkered with the tv's setting only a little bit. Thanks again.
Ryan

Most certainly dump the S-video connection and use component or HDMI..it will make a difference for the better. As for viewing distance, 10' for a 52" screen should be ok, depending on who answers

Composite video and S-video connections will not do this set justice.

Vizio M801D-A3

JimK

post #5188 of 8197 Old 03-06-2006, 05:44 AM

Quote:

BK,
I havent had that problem but it sounds like a lamp problem trying to raise its ugly head. I personaly would contact tosh for a new lamp now. I would also take a chance and leave the TV on full time. In my op if its going to blow anyway the tv setting and resetting would only speed it up.
post #5189 of 8197 Old 03-06-2006, 08:02 AM

Quote:

I wonder if this sort of thing could be caused by a problem with the alignment of the projection lamp and the rest of the optical system. If there was something wrong with the lamp itself or if the lamp enclosure is misaligned then the beam from the parabolic reflector in the lamp enclosure might not uniformly illuminate the DMD.

Waited 18 years for an HDTV!
post #5190 of 8197 Old 03-06-2006, 12:12 PM

Long time lurker joining the fun.

Just thought I would weigh in on the bulb issue topic. I've got a 52HM84, bought in December of 2004 still going on its first bulb with about 2,000 hours on it. My settings are (and have always been) low power and quick restart. TV is plugged into a Monster Power bar along with sat receiver and dvd player.

I've got my fingers crossed that I'll be the lucky one who makes it to 6,000 - 8,000 hours.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page