The Toshiba DLP (HM/HMX) Owners Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 8197 Old 08-27-2004, 03:11 PM
Newbie
 
gswalsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: waterford, NY
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi. I am a neophyte when it comes to A/V equipment.I just bought a Toshiba 46HM84 based on recommendations from this board and brand reputation.
I hooked it up today and with the DVD, it looks very good. Cable, however, looks too grainy and unrefined.
I have a regular cable hookup. Is this where switching to HD cable is applicable to give me the greatest clarity and sharpest PQ possible?

Thanks,

Gary S
gswalsky is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 8197 Old 08-27-2004, 03:39 PM
Member
 
elitelight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes. If you only use a composite cable, it's not HD, it's just SD resolution. THe picture will look grainy. You need to contact your cable or dish company for a HD STB that provides either component or DVI output. Then the picture quality will be improved dramatically.
elitelight is offline  
post #33 of 8197 Old 08-28-2004, 12:29 AM
Member
 
Vizcaya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, I fixed the Red Push/Tint, whatever you wanna call it.

Click Menu Button

Scroll Down to Picture Settings

Click Enter

The Set the Color Lower than 50( I have mine set at 34)

I also Have Brightnes at 30 ,

Scroll to next screen, and set to cool.

Save settings.

Your Mileage will vary.

Something I have also found out.

If you are using a HD Tivo connected to the HDMI port. Be aware that you will need to scroll through all the video formats evertime you either shut off the set, or change to another input. There is a button in the front of the Tivo that allows you to scoll through all the formats, make sure you do this. Otherwise the video will be degraded(Have a Pink tone thoughout the picture). You can set the Tivo remote to cyle through all the modes, if you would like.

So do not do what I did, and turned in a perfect Tivo, because I though the HDMI port was bad.

Vizcaya
Vizcaya is offline  
post #34 of 8197 Old 08-28-2004, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Victor Nowik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think I found out why Toshiba says not to use a PC as DVI input to this model.
I was finally able to get the desktop to fit EXACTLY on the visable screen area.
I downloaded the "leaked" Version 6.6 Nvidia drivers ( as described here)
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=438498
The underground drivers are at this link: (download forceware 66.0)
http://www.osnn.net/comments.php?shownews=10882
Do this and your desktop will be PERFECT and centered....but.....

I realized that even in DVI input mode the Toshiba will still scaling (or otherwise
processing) the image....as
I could still adjust the sharpness even in DVI input mode.
I would expect sharpness to be disabled in DVI mode. Instead of
razor sharp pixels...I see slightly blurry pixels....dont get me wrong the
picture for HD broadcasts and DVD's is spectacular but it could be that
1:1 pixel mapping may not be possible for this model (I hope not) and
that would explain the sheet of paper with the manual saying that PC's
are not supported. I willl send a digital shot of a closeup view of my desktop
to show you what I mean. It' not TERRIBLE but it is not 1:1 and limits the
quality of text. I still hope there may be a way around it ...maybe in the
service manual. While I still have a great
set....I will certainly not as happy without the ability to show computer
display 1:1. WIthout this I dont have a true digital path from my pc to the
DLP mirror (pixel)....I really hope we can find a way around this. If not I
may want to sell my 4day old set at a loss and look for another HD2+ model
that has true 1:1 pixel mapping capability. We really need to access
the service menu to see if there is a workaround to this problem. I am bummed. ('')
Victor Nowik is offline  
post #35 of 8197 Old 08-28-2004, 10:44 AM
Newbie
 
Speckshoes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Denham Springs, La.
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I ran an Avia sweep this morning & calibrated it like this:
Contrast-50
Brightness-55
Color-45
Tint- R 9
Sharpness- 50
The red push wound up at +5% & the green push at 0%. That's well below the 15-20% max for the red push. Of course this is on MY set & YMMV, but it's a start.
Speckshoes is offline  
post #36 of 8197 Old 08-28-2004, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
xb1032's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 5,343
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Has anyone ventured into the service menu yet? I'm wondering how much fine tuning can be done on the Toshibas. The specs say there's black enhancement but no way to turn it off in the user menu. I've been looking at these sets a bit and the blacks to me are the best of all the digital sets. However, there is some black crush.

Also, has anyone heard any word of when the 62HM84 and 62HM94 are supposed to be out? BB has both in their computer and the 62HM94 is listed with a regular price of $4199 (just $200 more thatn the 62HM84) for the regular price.
xb1032 is offline  
post #37 of 8197 Old 08-28-2004, 09:16 PM
Member
 
Neo42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by Victor Nowik
I think I found out why Toshiba says not to use a PC as DVI input to this model.
I was finally able to get the desktop to fit EXACTLY on the visable screen area.
I downloaded the "leaked" Version 6.6 Nvidia drivers ( as described here)
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=438498
The underground drivers are at this link: (download forceware 66.0)
http://www.osnn.net/comments.php?shownews=10882
Do this and your desktop will be PERFECT and centered....but.....

I realized that even in DVI input mode the Toshiba will still scaling (or otherwise
processing) the image....as
I could still adjust the sharpness even in DVI input mode.
I would expect sharpness to be disabled in DVI mode. Instead of
razor sharp pixels...I see slightly blurry pixels....dont get me wrong the
picture for HD broadcasts and DVD's is spectacular but it could be that
1:1 pixel mapping may not be possible for this model (I hope not) and
that would explain the sheet of paper with the manual saying that PC's
are not supported. I willl send a digital shot of a closeup view of my desktop
to show you what I mean. It' not TERRIBLE but it is not 1:1 and limits the
quality of text. I still hope there may be a way around it ...maybe in the
service manual. While I still have a great
set....I will certainly not as happy without the ability to show computer
display 1:1. WIthout this I dont have a true digital path from my pc to the
DLP mirror (pixel)....I really hope we can find a way around this. If not I
may want to sell my 4day old set at a loss and look for another HD2+ model
that has true 1:1 pixel mapping capability. We really need to access
the service menu to see if there is a workaround to this problem. I am bummed. ('')

Using my Radeon 9600 which apparently has HDTV compliant drivers (Catalyst 4.8 I think?) I was unable to get the picture to fully fit on the TV---PERIOD. I would be totally happy if there was a way to get it to fit on the screen and still be scaled (not 1:1 pixel ratio) as at least I could pipe my HDTV Wonder output without missing the edges of the picture (overscan)!

So yeah, I am feeling your pain here. I'm really discouraged as I was hoping I could use my PC as an HDTV Tuner, HDTV PVR and DVD player to be plugged into the TV. What is the deal with Toshiba, especially when ATI is boasting their HDTV compatibility? Even using powerstrip the image went whack before I could shrink the size down properly.

Considering this and noticing the rainbow more and more recently, I'm seriously considering returning the Tosh and getting the JVC D-ILA. Right now about the only thing I like about the TV is the contrast ratio. Bleh.

-A
Neo42 is offline  
post #38 of 8197 Old 08-28-2004, 11:11 PM
Member
 
photobrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Palo Alto, California, USA
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Getting off the PC (or Mac) compatability for a moment, does anyone yet know the difference between the HM and the HMX models other than the bezel? I seem to recall some mention of "firewire", which I assume must be on the HMX version. Any other differences?

And following the last post, one of my concerns is that I do NOT see the rainbow effect in any DLPs, I just see a graininess in the highlights (bright areas). But I'm worried that I may buy a DLP set, like this Toshiba (which I think looks great from what I've seen so far) and then find after several weeks "oh, yeah, now I actually DO see this rainbow effect". Is that scenario common?

--Brad in Palo Alto
photobrad is offline  
post #39 of 8197 Old 08-29-2004, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Victor Nowik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by Neo42
Using my Radeon 9600 which apparently has HDTV compliant drivers (Catalyst 4.8 I think?) I was unable to get the picture to fully fit on the TV---PERIOD. I would be totally happy if there was a way to get it to fit on the screen and still be scaled (not 1:1 pixel ratio) as at least I could pipe my HDTV Wonder output without missing the edges of the picture (overscan)!

So yeah, I am feeling your pain here. I'm really discouraged as I was hoping I could use my PC as an HDTV Tuner, HDTV PVR and DVD player to be plugged into the TV. What is the deal with Toshiba, especially when ATI is boasting their HDTV compatibility? Even using powerstrip the image went whack before I could shrink the size down properly.

=================================================
Considering this and noticing the rainbow more and more recently, I'm seriously considering returning the Tosh and getting the JVC D-ILA. Right now about the only thing I like about the TV is the contrast ratio. Bleh.

And following the last post, one of my concerns is that I do NOT see the rainbow effect in any DLPs, I just see a graininess in the highlights (bright areas). But I'm worried that I may buy a DLP set, like this Toshiba (which I think looks great from what I've seen so far) and then find after several weeks "oh, yeah, now I actually DO see this rainbow effect". Is that scenario common?

--Brad in Palo Alto
-A


The leaked drivers have done the job for me. I do (as I said) get a perfect
desktop with my nvidia card. I already AM using my PC as a digital tuner
(via Myhd card) and SUPER DVD player (also myhd card). Worst case all
you need is an Nvidia vid card with DVI output.

I tried to send you screen shot ....but this silly baord software limits pix to
640x480....
Here is the sync info that might help you use powerstrip for your radeon

pixel clock 74.16Mhz
Res 1177x662

Vertical
front porch 5
back porch 78
sync +
sync width 25
refresh 60.0
active lines = 662
================
Horiz
front porch 112
back porch 320
sync +
sync width 40
active pix 1176
scan rate 45khz

Hope this helps


I just got comcast HD cable hooked up and watchd kill-bill2 DVD. The picture
quality is SUPER. I am now seeing that the lack of 1:1 mapping as
a minor annoyance since 95% of the time I will be watching glorious HD or
DVD. I am now realizing what a great
monitor I have. Sweet Sweet Eye candy it is................


Brad:

I only briefly saw rainbows in the show rooms...but now I see them all
the time but only on really weird screens like PC screen with large patches
of white etc....I rarely see them on normal hidef TV or DVD's. I look at it
as a side effect of the technology and dont let it bother me because it
dosent take away enjoyment from real content. I feel it's a small price
to pay to have such large and superb pictures in my living room. I could
have gotten an LCD or LCOS but after months of research I am still
convinced that the HD2+ rev of the DLP chip provides superior results on
the highest quality programming.

THe first day or so I had my unit (this is day 5) I was feeling eyestrain and
was freaking that I would not be able to adjust to DLP. The computer
output expecially made my eyes hurt. But after another few days I dont
notice it at all. I feel I have adapted and gotten used to it and now just
love it w/o discomfort.
Victor Nowik is offline  
post #40 of 8197 Old 08-29-2004, 09:45 AM
Member
 
Neo42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Victor, much thanks for the settings above. I will give them a try later once I have returned home.

As far as the rainbow goes.. I think it's nuisance is variable from person to person. And sometimes I intentionally shift my eyes quickly to 'force' seeing it. It is the most obvious and hard to miss for me during dark scenes which have bright white-like isolated objects. An example would be candle in the dark, a lamp post on a dark street, or a bright figure in the foreground with a dark background. These types of situations almost always produce rainbow for me.

Also keep in mind that it may be a factor of how close you sit to your screen. I sit fairly close (8-10ft) and this causes a larger distance for my eye to shift from one corner of the screen to another. The faster your eyes are moving trying to capture different parts of the scene, the more prone you will be to noticing rainbow in your peripheral.

For those who desperately want to feel the phenomenon but have thus far been unable too-- go into a store, stand about 5 feet away. Wait for a dark scene with some bright objects, and quickly move your eyes back and forth from one side of the screen to the other and you should easily be able to see rainbow in your peripheral vision.

-A
Neo42 is offline  
post #41 of 8197 Old 08-29-2004, 12:33 PM
Member
 
vizual's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know when we are going to see these models in Canada?!

I'm starting to see the Panny PT50DL54 in quite a few places but still no sign of the Tosh HM's..

I'm holding out for the 46HM84 or 52HM84 but my patience is beginning to wane

What the heck is the delay?!?

Cheers,

vizuäl
vizual is offline  
post #42 of 8197 Old 08-29-2004, 12:38 PM
Newbie
 
cycler21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm going to be purchasing a 52HM or HMX shortly, and I was wondering if anyone can tell me how home burned DVD-R's appear on the DLP sets. Is there a noticeable difference in quality between the commercially manufactured discs and the back-ups I burned on my writer at home? I have a large collection of backed up DVD+R discs, and I want to make sure that I am not rendering them "useless" by buying a high-end monitor that would make watching them frustrating due to poor picture quality. Thanks in advance for everyone's help and reviews, you even helped sell my wife on the Tosh 52HMs!
cycler21 is offline  
post #43 of 8197 Old 08-29-2004, 01:10 PM
Senior Member
 
TheGrub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by vizual
Does anyone know when we are going to see these models in Canada?!

I'm starting to see the Panny PT50DL54 in quite a few places but still no sign of the Tosh HM's..

I'm holding out for the 46HM84 or 52HM84 but my patience is beginning to wane

What the heck is the delay?!?

From what i know, Toshiba Canada received their first sets Thursday or Friday of last week. So i guess they will start shipping pretty soon.

I live in Montreal, Canada and have been waiting for my 52HM84 for about 3 weeks now !!!
TheGrub is offline  
post #44 of 8197 Old 08-29-2004, 01:16 PM
Member
 
vizual's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by TheGrub
From what i know, Toshiba Canada received their first sets Thursday or Friday of last week. So i guess they will start shipping pretty soon.

I live in Montreal, Canada and have been waiting for my 52HM84 for about 3 weeks now !!!

Neat.

I gather you have already pre-paid then for your 52HM84? What is it going to be going for in Canada?

I'm guessing about 4999?

Cheers,

vizuäl
vizual is offline  
post #45 of 8197 Old 08-29-2004, 01:30 PM
Member
 
Neo42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by cycler21
I'm going to be purchasing a 52HM or HMX shortly, and I was wondering if anyone can tell me how home burned DVD-R's appear on the DLP sets. Is there a noticeable difference in quality between the commercially manufactured discs and the back-ups I burned on my writer at home? I have a large collection of backed up DVD+R discs, and I want to make sure that I am not rendering them "useless" by buying a high-end monitor that would make watching them frustrating due to poor picture quality. Thanks in advance for everyone's help and reviews, you even helped sell my wife on the Tosh 52HMs!

If you have re-encoded the movies it will depend on how much more they have been compressed from the originals. Honestly I haven't had time to watch much DVD as I've been trying to set up my HTPC.

If you are like me, and rip out everything but the movie content to get about 90% or greater of the original movie size, then you will likely not see much loss in PQ.

To easily solve this problem just go buy yourself a Dual Layer DVD burner and wait for the discs to come down in price. I think NEC has a 16x DL burner for about $90. Then cry when HD-DVD comes out because there will be no burners for them and you'll have to down convert it all to a DL 480p disc

-A
Neo42 is offline  
post #46 of 8197 Old 08-29-2004, 01:53 PM
Member
 
nickindc03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For those of you worried about the rainbow effect, I haven't seen it once in viewing my TV for 5 days; then again, I've never seen it before on another TV. What has bugged me however, is blocky pixelation/blurring during fast movements while watching some HD channels. It happens all the time with the Olympics on NBC (particularly when the rings logo flashes across the screen) and on PBS-HD broadcasts, such that the picture is much better during still shots. This problem never occurs while watching HBO-HD or Showtime-HD, however. I'm wondering if this is a problem with the TV, the cable broadcast, or the HD-formats (I think NBC and PBS are 1080i, while Showtime and HBO are 720p). Has anyone else noticed this with their Tosh?
nickindc03 is offline  
post #47 of 8197 Old 08-29-2004, 01:53 PM
Member
 
nickindc03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For those of you worried about the rainbow effect, I haven't seen it once in viewing my TV for 5 days; then again, I've never seen it before on another TV. What has bugged me however, is blocky pixelation/blurring during fast movements while watching some HD channels. It happens all the time with the Olympics on NBC (particularly when the rings logo flashes across the screen) and on PBS-HD broadcasts, such that the picture is much better during still shots. This problem never occurs while watching HBO-HD or Showtime-HD, however. I'm wondering if this is a problem with the TV, the cable broadcast, or the HD-formats (I think NBC and PBS are 1080i, while Showtime and HBO are 720p). Has anyone else noticed this with their Tosh?
nickindc03 is offline  
post #48 of 8197 Old 08-29-2004, 01:59 PM
Member
 
Neo42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by nickindc03
For those of you worried about the rainbow effect, I haven't seen it once in viewing my TV for 5 days; then again, I've never seen it before on another TV. What has bugged me however, is blocky pixelation/blurring during fast movements while watching some HD channels. It happens all the time with the Olympics on NBC (particularly when the rings logo flashes across the screen) and on PBS-HD broadcasts, such that the picture is much better during still shots. This problem never occurs while watching HBO-HD or Showtime-HD, however. I'm wondering if this is a problem with the TV, the cable broadcast, or the HD-formats (I think NBC and PBS are 1080i, while Showtime and HBO are 720p). Has anyone else noticed this with their Tosh?

That is a symptom of your source. Are you getting an NBC free to air or over cable/satellite? Don't expect a lot of high-quality motion with a low-bandwidth or poor HD signal. My guess is HBO and SHO are just giving a higher quality signal with less compression.

-A
Neo42 is offline  
post #49 of 8197 Old 08-29-2004, 04:06 PM
Member
 
elitelight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am not really bothered by rainbow that much. The only time I can see it is when I move my eyes really fast across the screen, or i look away from the tv then move my eyes back to the TV. 99% of the time, I dont see rainbow at all. I guess this all depends on the person's eyes, some people may see more than others. The picture quality on HD has been superb.

the price for Dual layer DVD media is still very high. You can simply split the movie up to two DVD-R to keep 100% of the content.
elitelight is offline  
post #50 of 8197 Old 08-29-2004, 05:45 PM
Senior Member
 
TheGrub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by vizual
Neat.

I gather you have already pre-paid then for your 52HM84? What is it going to be going for in Canada?

I'm guessing about 4999?

i have not pre-paid the TV. But the going price in canada will be around 4500$
TheGrub is offline  
post #51 of 8197 Old 08-29-2004, 07:15 PM
Member
 
nickindc03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by Neo42
That is a symptom of your source. Are you getting an NBC free to air or over cable/satellite? Don't expect a lot of high-quality motion with a low-bandwidth or poor HD signal. My guess is HBO and SHO are just giving a higher quality signal with less compression.

-A

I am getting everything over cable. If it's my cable that's the problem, though, I don't understand why SHO and HBO would be better unless my cable service broadcasts different channels at different strengths...although I suppose this is possible. Would switching from a component hook-up to HDMI help out at all?
nickindc03 is offline  
post #52 of 8197 Old 08-29-2004, 07:40 PM
Member
 
Neo42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
*Tears out hair*

Well Victor, I can't seem to get those Powerstrip settings in. I am guessing this is a limitation imposed by my Radeon drivers.


So.. I think for the time being I will just have to not hook up the TV. I just bought my tuner and video cards so I'm not going to replace either one right now. I think I will be able to play my recorded HD content through XBox but it is still a component connection, which I'm not that happy about but I guess I will get over.

I do love my set so I don't think I can return it. Maybe when someone figures out how to get to the service manual there will be some way to compensate for the lack of DVI/HDMI compatibility.

One question for all owners out there.. has anyone found any 'dark spots' on their display? In the lower right hand corner there is a cluster of about 2x3 pixels that are dark. They are not dead.. just dark. Also it's not specific 'pixels' it is just a non-pixelated dark spot. Could this be a dirty spot somewhere inside the set? It's not noticable enough to bother me.. just wondering what might be the problem.

-A

Edit: Victor, what type of GeForce card are you running? Now I'm eyeing a 5700 Ultra and returning my Radeon.. if I am sure I can make the display work I think I'll do just that.
Neo42 is offline  
post #53 of 8197 Old 08-29-2004, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Victor Nowik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by Neo42
*Tears out hair*


Edit: Victor, what type of GeForce card are you running? Now I'm eyeing a 5700 Ultra and returning my Radeon.. if I am sure I can make the display work I think I'll do just that.


a good place to evaluate cards performance is
http://www20.graphics.tomshardware.c...charts-06.html

I have a NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4600

This is the compatability list form the "leaked driver" Readme I used on mine

============================================================ ====================
NVIDIA Display Driver for Windows 2000/XP version 66.00, 08/12/2004
============================================================ ====================

Operating systems supported
---------------------------
Microsoft Windows XP Home
Microsoft Windows 2000/XP Professional
Microsoft Windows 2000 Server


Adapters supported
------------------
NVIDIA RIVA TNT
NVIDIA RIVA TNT2
NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Pro
NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Ultra
NVIDIA Vanta
NVIDIA Vanta LT
NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64
NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64 Pro
NVIDIA Aladdin TNT2
NVIDIA GeForce 256
NVIDIA GeForce DDR
NVIDIA Quadro
NVIDIA GeForce2 MX
NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 200
NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 400
NVIDIA Quadro2 MXR
NVIDIA Quadro2 EX
NVIDIA GeForce2 GTS
NVIDIA GeForce2 Pro
NVIDIA GeForce2 Ti
NVIDIA GeForce2 Ultra
NVIDIA GeForce2 Integrated GPU
NVIDIA Quadro2 Pro
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440-SE
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 460
NVIDIA Quadro NVS
NVIDIA Quadro4 500 XGL
NVIDIA Quadro4 550 XGL
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX Integrated GPU
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420 with AGP8X
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440SE with AGP8X
NVIDIA Quadro4 NVS with AGP8X
NVIDIA Quadro4 380 XGL
NVIDIA Quadro4 580 XGL
NVIDIA GeForce3
NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 200
NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 500
NVIDIA Quadro DCC
NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200
NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4400
NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4600
NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8X
NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4800
NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4800 SE
NVIDIA Quadro4 700 XGL
NVIDIA Quadro4 750 XGL
NVIDIA Quadro4 900 XGL
NVIDIA Quadro4 780 XGL
NVIDIA Quadro4 980 XGL
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5800
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5800 Ultra
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1000
NVIDIA Quadro FX 2000
Victor Nowik is offline  
post #54 of 8197 Old 08-30-2004, 08:01 AM
Newbie
 
vyzas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just did yesterday, hoping to receive it in good shape within this week. I am getting Cablevision to upgrade my STB to HDTV next week and have only a progressive scan DVD player.
I would appreciate any suggestions for a better DVD player as well as any advice on connectivity issues...obviously I would like to leverage the best connections possible for the new TV.
I would also like to thank everybody on this thread who indirectly help me make a decision.
vyzas is offline  
post #55 of 8197 Old 08-30-2004, 04:56 PM
Member
 
teamills's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by Neo42
*Tears out hair*

Well Victor, I can't seem to get those Powerstrip settings in. I am guessing this is a limitation imposed by my Radeon drivers.


So.. I think for the time being I will just have to not hook up the TV. I just bought my tuner and video cards so I'm not going to replace either one right now. I think I will be able to play my recorded HD content through XBox but it is still a component connection, which I'm not that happy about but I guess I will get over.

I do love my set so I don't think I can return it. Maybe when someone figures out how to get to the service manual there will be some way to compensate for the lack of DVI/HDMI compatibility.

One question for all owners out there.. has anyone found any 'dark spots' on their display? In the lower right hand corner there is a cluster of about 2x3 pixels that are dark. They are not dead.. just dark. Also it's not specific 'pixels' it is just a non-pixelated dark spot. Could this be a dirty spot somewhere inside the set? It's not noticable enough to bother me.. just wondering what might be the problem.

-A

Edit: Victor, what type of GeForce card are you running? Now I'm eyeing a 5700 Ultra and returning my Radeon.. if I am sure I can make the display work I think I'll do just that.

Well I had already ordered this TV before these revelations. I went the TVA route and if I can not get it to work I will be sending it back as using it as a computer monitor was a MAJOR factor in my purchase. That being said, I will do my best to work with the resources that I can bring to bear to get the ATI cards working with this set (I've got a few days before I have to send it back and from all accounts it seems like a wonderful TV). Specifically, I have the X800XT Pro and hopefully we can get some compatibility here. Anyway, mine should be delivered late this week or early next and I can get to it. Hopefully others will beat me to it. Good luck!
teamills is offline  
post #56 of 8197 Old 08-31-2004, 05:21 AM
Member
 
phoenxhwk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I finally got HD digital cable yesterday, and I watched some HD content via component cables. Discovery Home Theater and Monday Night Football were both stunning. Amazing PQ from this set!

My digital cable box has DVI out. Will using DVI improve the picture at all over component? I can't seem to find a DVI-HDMI cable for a reasonable price anywhere ($90 is way too much for a cable!). Does anyone have a good place to buy inexpensively?
phoenxhwk is offline  
post #57 of 8197 Old 08-31-2004, 05:27 AM
Member
 
Neo42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by phoenxhwk
I finally got HD digital cable yesterday, and I watched some HD content via component cables. Discovery Home Theater and Monday Night Football were both stunning. Amazing PQ from this set!

My digital cable box has DVI out. Will using DVI improve the picture at all over component? I can't seem to find a DVI-HDMI cable for a reasonable price anywhere ($90 is way too much for a cable!). Does anyone have a good place to buy inexpensively?

I got my cable (DVI/HDMI) from www.pccables.com. 2 meter was $27 shipped. I have seen a link to another affordable place that was around $20 for the cable (plus shipping).

Quote:


Originally posted by teamills
Well I had already ordered this TV before these revelations. I went the TVA route and if I can not get it to work I will be sending it back as using it as a computer monitor was a MAJOR factor in my purchase. That being said, I will do my best to work with the resources that I can bring to bear to get the ATI cards working with this set (I've got a few days before I have to send it back and from all accounts it seems like a wonderful TV). Specifically, I have the X800XT Pro and hopefully we can get some compatibility here. Anyway, mine should be delivered late this week or early next and I can get to it. Hopefully others will beat me to it. Good luck!

Sadly I am disappointed with the Catalyst drivers. I have been an NVidia man for years and for that reason I decided to go for a FX 5700 Ultra and return my 9600XT. Getting the desktop to fit is partial magic, it seems, and even at that we are not able to get our full resolution. Regardless, if I can get the GeForce card to fit my desktop entirely on the screen then I will be happy.



--


On a side note, any word of finding the service menu in these guys? I think that may help us more than anything in our quest.


-Adam
Neo42 is offline  
post #58 of 8197 Old 08-31-2004, 08:56 PM
Member
 
SwampDawg78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Swampland, Louisiana
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For those asking here is how to get to the service menu, but I have no idea what you do after getting to it so let me know what you do from this point.

* Pick an input (Colorstream HD input 1 for example ) set the picture size to "Full"
* Press "mute" on the remote - 1/2 mute appears on the screen
* Press "mute" on the remote again - mute appears on the screen
* Press "mute" on the remote and hold the mute button -

* Press the "Menu" button on the TV's front panel. "S" will appear in the upper right corner of the screen.
* Press "menu" on the front panel again and the "S" will disappear. On the left side of the screen you will see "RCUT" followed by two numbers.

You are now in the service mode.

That's as far as I go; I am not responsible for your actions.

HD picture is stunning on the 52HM84 and SD is better than expected. Sound is excellent for a TV with the SEPARATED speakers rather than some close together on the bottom of the unit. Ordered from OneCall.com on Sunday, shipped Monday via ABF freight and received this past Friday. First LARGE purchase off the net and it went very, very well!

So far I am very impressed with the Toshiba which I compared with Samsung, Panasonic and Mitsubishi DLP sets all with the HD2+ chip.

OPPO BDP-83 (EAP 2)
SwampDawg78 is offline  
post #59 of 8197 Old 09-01-2004, 11:28 AM
Newbie
 
ress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had my 52in for about 10 days. HD from a comcast STB was installed Saturday and looks great. But the PQ from our local Pittsburgh CBS and ABC affiliates is much worse than HBO, Showtime, PBS, INHD, or ESPN, etc. In fact, if I go back and forth from the HD channel to the SD channel on ABC, it's hard to tell the difference except for the picture size. I'm connected to the STB with a DVI/HDMI cable.

Secondly, after running the set for 20 minutes or so when it first came out of the box, a black arrowhead shaped area in the lower right hand corner appeared. The cause was a piece of tape that had come unstuck so that a little piece rose up and blocked a small portion of the lens. When it was fixed the repairman told me that the repair manual had not yet been published.
ress is offline  
post #60 of 8197 Old 09-01-2004, 04:40 PM
Member
 
sirfergy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How is the viewing angle on this TV?
sirfergy is offline  
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off