The Toshiba DLP (HM/HMX) Owners Thread - Page 270 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8071 of 8198 Old 11-18-2010, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
in867, Can you hear your color wheel try to spin up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8072 of 8198 Old 11-20-2010, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Toshiba 62hmx84 dlp tv. Last night my boyfriend was using the TV. He turned it off, then back on quickly because he forgot to turn off his PS3. It emitted a high pitched shreking sound, and now the brightness is consideribly decreased.

Lamp hours say: 2535
I see Error Code 30 on the same menu

Is there an error with the TV? Is it time for a new bulb?

We have brightness set to 100, but it's still dark and it turns blacks green (does anyone else have that problem too?)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Set is no longer under warranty and has everything inside it replaced within the past 2 years. (This TV has given me hell ever since I bought it)

If it is due for a lamp replacement, how much should I be looking at to spend? I know how to change the lamp myself as one time it was returned from being repaired, they didn't have the lamp in right so I had to fix it.
post #8073 of 8198 Old 11-21-2010, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

I would try a lamp first, if not then it might be the ballast but they usually work or don't.
Lamps shouldn't be more than 100-150 depending on whether you get the assembly or a bulb.
Try to stay with a phillips of toshiba lamp though, not some off brand, maybe osram but the other 2 are preferred.

Check your local craigslist also, many times people have lamps they are selling after getting rid of the tv.
post #8074 of 8198 Old 11-22-2010, 10:19 AM

My 3-year old 65HM167 (bulb replaced 1 year ago) now has 4 small grey/blueish rectangular bars (2 on top of the screen, 2 on bottom), as well as a long series of white dots along both the right and left sides of the screen. In fact, the whole thing looks oddly symmetrical.

The television is still watchable, but it's quite a distraction.

From what I gather, it's the light engine which needs to be replaced. So, I have a few questions:

1. Can anyone confirm if this description does fit with a light engine malfunction?
2. If so, is replacement the only option?
3. The problem is now a week old and has not deteriorated. But from what I've read (about the white dots), it will get worse. Is this true?
4. If it is the light engine, is it worth spending the $600+ for replacement and installation, or is this just throwing 'good money after bad.'

Appreciate any advise on this issue. I guess if I do have to replace the set, this is a good week to shop, given the anticipated deals on Black Friday.
post #8075 of 8198 Old 11-22-2010, 04:35 PM

I think the lamp has died today. We're going to a store tomorrow to pick one up.

Right now it's a 90 lb radio with no picture (just black) but it has sound. The TV cycles to try to correct the problem like the manual suggests then both green and red lights blink, only to have you turn the power on again to repeat over and over.

If the lamp replacement doesn't fix the issue (I'm like 95% sure it's the case now) what else could it be and how much money could the part be?

Trying to gauge if it's time to junk the set and get with more modern times
post #8076 of 8198 Old 11-22-2010, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Could be the ballast, I have one on ebay for cheap right now, but normally they are under $100 or you might be able to repair yours.
post #8077 of 8198 Old 11-23-2010, 02:40 PM

Thank goodness.

New bulb installed. TV works like new. Old bulb was completely shattered. Does anyone usually have an issue with blacks having a greenish tint? If so any way to correct that?
post #8078 of 8198 Old 11-24-2010, 04:09 PM
WQ1

I have a Toshiba 52" DLP Projection HDTV (52HM85) from early 2006.

Was for some time making a buzzing noise when turned on (and noise would go away), now it will not turn on (no picture); it tries multiple times to re-start itself without success.

Bulb is good; has been replaced several times.

Boards suggest light engine and/or color wheel could be the problem? Are these the same thing or different?

What to do? Estimated cost?

Thks.
post #8079 of 8198 Old 11-24-2010, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member

cactuar, try turning down the brightness and/or contrast. Maybe go to low on the bulb setting.
post #8080 of 8198 Old 11-24-2010, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member

color wheel is a replaceable part in the light engine. You need to determine where the buzzing noise is coming from. Should be either the ballast or color wheel.

ballast is less than $100 used. Color wheel - depends on whether it is available by itself or if they want you to get a refurb light engine.
post #8081 of 8198 Old 11-25-2010, 05:24 PM
WQ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacofortacos View Post

color wheel is a replaceable part in the light engine. You need to determine where the buzzing noise is coming from. Should be either the ballast or color wheel.

ballast is less than $100 used. Color wheel - depends on whether it is available by itself or if they want you to get a refurb light engine.

Expect it is the color wheel and am told I can get one (to confirm when Toshiba opens up again)

pacofortacos (or anyone else) - do you know if this is a user replaceable module that I could replace myself (reasonably handy but no soldering)?

Thks
post #8082 of 8198 Old 11-25-2010, 10:47 PM
Advanced Member

The color wheel?
Yes it is and it depends on what you get.
After you remove the 1-2 covers on the light engine then :
The whole assembly is held in by 3-4 screws (depending on model), then there is the ribbon cable and another cable. Unplug at the board, not at the color wheel.

So if you get the assembly - wheel and rpm board - it is as above.
If just the wheel comes, then it will need to be unscrewed from the assembly.

The ribbon cable spins the color wheel, the other cable goes to the rpm board.
post #8083 of 8198 Old 11-27-2010, 03:07 PM

Just wanted to post my issue to see if people feel it is the LAMP that needs to be replaced. I have the 56HM195 model. I've had it since 11/05 and never had to replace the bulb. I haven't had any major issues with it up until this past week when I started to notice the screen dimming and brightening very sightly. It's really noticed on brighter colors, such as white. It doesn't do it right off the bat when TV is first turned on. It does it after it has been on a while.

Another issue I have noticed within the last couple months is that occasionally on some TV shows, people's faces might have a splotch of green or yellow tint. Not their whole face, just parts of the face. This may be due it needing to be dusted out.

I know the TV probably needs a good dusting out as I've never done it in the past 5 years.

Thoughts on if I should replace the bulb or not. I've been looking online for the Toshiba brand bulb and appears to run about $160ish.

Thanks for help!
post #8084 of 8198 Old 11-29-2010, 06:11 PM

We have both sets, built about a year apart. Side by side, and fed the same signal via HDMI, the 46" is significantly superior even when the lamp is swapped. That's so even after partial disassembly, internal cleaning (including the lens), etc. Settings are optimized (hopefully) on both.

Considering the smaller area, I would expect the 46" to be slightly better (same wattage and pixels), but the difference goes beyond expectations.

???
post #8085 of 8198 Old 12-01-2010, 12:27 PM

Question regarding Toshiba 52HM95 DLP. It appears I'm going to need my 6th light engine in six years. Does Toshiba even make the parts for this model anymore? The few parts places I've called say no and that it's a "remanufactured" component? Does anyone make the electronic components for the light engine if Toshiba has discontinued the model?
We purchased the service contract when we got the unit so everything is covered but does it make sense for the company to keep repairing it if the parts are no longer made?
post #8086 of 8198 Old 12-01-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WQ1 View Post

I have a Toshiba 52" DLP Projection HDTV (52HM85) from early 2006.

Was for some time making a buzzing noise when turned on (and noise would go away), now it will not turn on (no picture); it tries multiple times to re-start itself without success.

Bulb is good; has been replaced several times.

Boards suggest light engine and/or color wheel could be the problem? Are these the same thing or different?

What to do? Estimated cost?

Thks.

I've had the same problem, multiple times with my set. I have multiple receipts for light engine repair and replacement. The piece itself costs anywhere from $600-$700 dollars and the labor had been about $180.
Fortunately, we had purchased the service agreement and none of it has been out of pocket, except the $300 for the initial service agreement.
All in all, it cost the dealer about $4,000 to keep the set running to this point. I just wonder when they'll cut their losses.

I've received multiple answers on the question if the components are available and if the unit is fixable. Whether or not it's worth it is up to the end-user.
post #8087 of 8198 Old 12-07-2010, 06:32 PM

I am parting with a perfectly working 56HM195, remote and matching stand. Probably try craigslist.

Obviously can't ship it but reading through all the posts, wondering if I should take out the light engine assembly and power board/audio assemby and sell it for parts vs the whole thing. Those are the two main items inside each on its own tray. I replaced the light engine myself about 3 years ago when Sears shipped it under warranty and never showed up to do it, so I did it myself. Wasn't hard, took about 40 mins.

Is there a market for these assemblies?
post #8088 of 8198 Old 12-07-2010, 06:59 PM

I would buy that set for a fair price if (1) it uses the TB25-LMP and (2) it's not too far away.

Where are you?
post #8089 of 8198 Old 12-07-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennelli View Post

I would buy that set for a fair price if (1) it uses the TB25-LMP and (2) it's not too far away.

Where are you?

Different Lamp, uses the D95 model.
I'm in S. Fla.
post #8090 of 8198 Old 12-07-2010, 09:35 PM

Pity. I like these sets - have two of them and would like to get one more for my daughter as we have a stockpile of lamps and some ballast knowledge.

You should be able to sell it locally via craigslist, and if that fails part it out via eBay. Good luck!
post #8091 of 8198 Old 12-11-2010, 07:15 AM

I have a 62HM195 that was here when I bought the house about a year and a half ago. It has always made a humming noise that has been constant since I've had it. It stays even after the TV is turned off, then it shuts down and sounds like a jet engine powering off.

Lately, there has been an increase in a grinding sound and the occasional picture flickering (mostly when the TV starts up) accompanies the grinding.

Very rarely the picture will go completely out and will return once the tv is powered on/off. Other, than that there is really no effect on the picture.

I took a video of the problem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eFGHe9eZpE
post #8092 of 8198 Old 12-12-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spmurph View Post

I have a 62HM195 that was here when I bought the house about a year and a half ago. It has always made a humming noise that has been constant since I've had it. It stays even after the TV is turned off, then it shuts down and sounds like a jet engine powering off.

Lately, there has been an increase in a grinding sound and the occasional picture flickering (mostly when the TV starts up) accompanies the grinding.

Very rarely the picture will go completely out and will return once the tv is powered on/off. Other, than that there is really no effect on the picture.

I took a video of the problem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eFGHe9eZpE

Its either the color wheel or the cooling fan for the bulb.
The cooling fan stays on 4-5 mins after you shut down to cool down the bulb.

If you feel adventurous, take the back cover off and carefully stop the cooling fan while its running. But do it briefly or the TV will shut down.
If when you stop the fan, the noise is gone, you've found it.

If when you stop the fan its still making the noise its the color wheel and there's little you can do about that, but get a new light engine.

I just sold my 56HIM195 but if it is the cooling fan, I'd be surprised if its not the same one I used and I have an extra from mine. Its about 5" or 6" square and has "AFB1212L" as the part number. If you need it, PM me.
post #8093 of 8198 Old 12-14-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NR4P View Post

Its either the color wheel or the cooling fan for the bulb.
The cooling fan stays on 4-5 mins after you shut down to cool down the bulb.

If you feel adventurous, take the back cover off and carefully stop the cooling fan while its running. But do it briefly or the TV will shut down.
If when you stop the fan, the noise is gone, you've found it.

If when you stop the fan its still making the noise its the color wheel and there's little you can do about that, but get a new light engine.

I just sold my 56HIM195 but if it is the cooling fan, I'd be surprised if its not the same one I used and I have an extra from mine. Its about 5" or 6" square and has "AFB1212L" as the part number. If you need it, PM me.

I was planning on trying to stop the cooling fan this weekend since the grinding noise had subsided. However my lamp just blew so I'm thinking the cooling fan was the problem. Anything I should check before I replace the lamp? I guess I should go ahead and replace the fan too?
post #8094 of 8198 Old 12-20-2010, 07:48 PM

I'm amazed this thread is still active, and with problems similar to mine, no less...

We are the second owner of a 62HM94, have had it for about a year now. Worked with no issues up until late May, when the bulb blew with a loud bang. We replaced the bulb (we believe it to be at least the third bulb installed in this TV) a couple weeks later and the TV returned to normal functioning until about three weeks ago, when it began to have difficulty turning the lamp on (solid red indicator, flashing green indicator just before a retry), though sound still works and I can still change the input source blind. At first it only took a couple of retries to bring the TV to life, but now the problem has degenerated into taking half an hour or more of retries to get a picture, if at all.

From what I'm reading above, and by the fact the TV does still turn on properly occasionally (and it works great when it does, until it's turned off), it sounds like the lamp ballast might have gone bad. What exactly is involved in trying to repair these ballasts, and where would I find one online? The cheapest I've found them online is $165 on eBay, which is honestly a little more than I'm willing to pay when I'm not sure if the TV will last another half a year without developing some other problem.

Any help is appreciated!
post #8095 of 8198 Old 12-21-2010, 10:05 AM

My 65HM167 has developed a strange problem and I haven't found anything on the web to help so I figured I'd see if anyone else has had this happen...

Every couple of hours of viewing is suddenly interrupted by the television randomly dialing the number 5, which after a couple of seconds brings it to the antenna channel 5 and a screen of static.

I've looked around to see if perhaps it was one of my remotes, assuming at first that I or one of my animals accidentally hit 5 on the remote....but that was quickly debunked because it happens frequently. I tried removing batteries from all of my remotes, but it still randomly does it.

The only thing that I can think of that may be the cause of the problem is the router that I hooked up recently...but I've never heard of one doing anything like that. Has anyone ever had a problem like this, and is it likely my TV or an external source that is the problem?
post #8096 of 8198 Old 12-21-2010, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

mcwaters, maybe someone is sitting outside with a remote and just screwing with you

Wouldn't that be a riot LOL

Hopefully it is getting a signal from somewhere and it isn't internal.
post #8097 of 8198 Old 12-21-2010, 06:04 PM

Hi all,

Replaced the bulb in my 62HM15 with bulb from discount-merchant.com about two months ago. Yesterday my TV started acting up again. It now turns off after about a half-hour of viewing and both the green and red lights blink. According to the manual that indicates a lamp problem.

Discount-merchant.com's tech rep tells me that it might be the ballast as opposed to the lamp and that if I return the lamp and they determine the lamp isn't defective they'll charge me $20. He also informed me that they'll only replace a lamp once under warranty. So if this lamp is defective and they replace it by sending me another lamp that turns out to be defective, I'm just SOL. Nice policy. Not.

So any thoughts on whether or not to send this lamp back or is there a way to troubleshoot to determine if it's the lamp or ballast that is causing the TV to turn off?

Thanks!!
post #8098 of 8198 Old 12-21-2010, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Could be either, are you using Low or High power? Switch to the other and see if the problem continues.

Check your lamp door also to make sure the switch is made and not going open after the set warms up.
post #8099 of 8198 Old 12-22-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacofortacos View Post

Could be either, are you using Low or High power? Switch to the other and see if the problem continues.

Check your lamp door also to make sure the switch is made and not going open after the set warms up.

Thanks for the idea! I switched it from low power to high power and the TV has now been on for about 5 hours without an issue. So that's good for now but would that imply that the problem I saw before was due to a bad lamp or something else? Still trying to figure out if I should send the lamp back for replacement under warranty or not....

Thanks!
post #8100 of 8198 Old 12-26-2010, 06:41 PM

When high power is viewable but low power isn't, it's time to get a new bulb.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page