Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 8197 Old 09-08-2004, 06:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 173
DLP Type R

Can you post a jpg of an image that contains a full range of colors including a flesh tone.

I've seen the Toshiba DLP twice at the local best buy and both times they were running an animated cartoon. Impossible to see just how well it handles real people.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 8197 Old 09-08-2004, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by phoenxhwk
I sit around 12 feet from my 53HM84 and see this often (around 5 times per half hour show). I have Comcast digital cable. My DVD player is getting up there in age, at ~2 years old - it's one of the slim silver Pannys (can't for the life of me remember the model number at the moment). If my problem is the signal from Comcast, is there anything I can do about it?

Another possible reason could be the decoding speed of your stb. What cablebox are you using. I use MOT6200 with firmware 7.15 from comcast, and have not noticed any pixalation problem even with very fast moving scence. You mentioned that your DVD player is old, is it a progressive scan player, can you try on a newer or better dvd player? I think the combination of poor signal and decoding speed will cause those effects. Maybe you can call your cable company and see if they can upgrade the cables into your house.
post #93 of 8197 Old 09-08-2004, 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by JimP
DLP Type R

Can you post a jpg of an image that contains a full range of colors including a flesh tone.

I've seen the Toshiba DLP twice at the local best buy and both times they were running an animated cartoon. Impossible to see just how well it handles real people.

Check out my thread called "My 52HM84 Has arrived" There are some SD pictures attached with flesh tones.

My 52HM84 has arrived !
post #94 of 8197 Old 09-08-2004, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by teamills
Just thought I would add that I received my 52HM84 on Saturday (thanks TVA and Seiko) and its picture quality is superb. I watched The Last Samarai and I was blown away by the pic. Just beautiful.

As for the HTPC application, I have run component and am running it at a custom resolution of 1776 x 1000 via an ATI X800 XT Pro w/ Catalyst 4.9 and it works great via XP MCE. The desktop fits perfectly (very light underscan) and with large fonts the text is quite crisp but can run pretty small on certain websites (set your text size in IE to largest). For what it is worth, I know it is not 1:1, BUT I will say that the text/fonts look VERY sharp and are better than on my std. comp. monitor.

That being said, I tried 1280 x 720 via component and I've gotten HUGE overscan (no start bar; the left row of icons on the desktop are sliced in half). I am going to start experimenting with DVI - HDMI as I now have my tech support guru on hand to help me out . In any event, this will certainly work just fine for me as a computer monitor 'as is' at the above resolution, but I will certainly work to get the appropriate 'correct' resolution.

UPDATE -- I have set Optmization 'on' for 720p in the Displays portion of Catalyst Drive Component video edit menu. By doing so, the card 'autofit' my resolution to my screen and I basically have something akin to a 1280 x 720 resolution (the actual resolution is 1152 x 648). It works very well to fill up the screen AND I can now use 'normal' size text, instead of 'large'.

I did notice something odd, when I used the TheaterWide option on the TV to zoom in on 4:3 resolutions I noticed that the left side of the screen is titled ever so slightly (meaning I have a small triangle on the left hand side of the screen). I haven't called anyone yet on that one, but I wanted to play with different sources (everything I have tried is rolling through my HTPC right now) before I sound the alarm.

In any event, a beautiful TV that just needs a little tweaking!

Welcome teamills!

I am interested in comparing the relative quality of component vs DVI. I will
post some closeup photos that show text using a DVI to HDMI cable from
my Nvidia Ti4600. Hope you can do same with you component connection.

BTW kenhdtv has done an excellent piece of work on home-brew DLP
calibration here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=442256

From my tentative investigation into the 52hm84 service menu it looks like
we may be able to adapt kenhdtv's work for the Toshiba DLP.
post #95 of 8197 Old 09-08-2004, 03:30 PM

I've now had my Toshiba 52HM84 for a couple of weeks and I've had a chance to play with it. Overall I have to say that I'm very happy with this TV. I had a Samsung 5063 previously and I have no regrets trading it for the Toshiba. Trust me, for $3000 if I was not THRILLED I would return it. I've had zero problems so far-- no lip synch issues, color problems, rainbows, Xbox lag, etc. The only minor disappointment is I would not have chosen gray pillars for 4:3 material.

I've adjusted the picture using DVE and my favorite shows/DVDs. The following settings are my own personal taste and I would be interested in seeing how others are adjusting their sets.

HDMI w/Samsung HD841 DVD:
Contrast=50
Brightness=56
Color=38
Tint=0
Sharpness=30
Color Temp=Medium

Component 1 w/SA8000HD DVR:
Contrast=58
Brightness=50
Color=48
Tint=0
Sharpness=40
Color Temp=Medium

Component 2 w/Xbox
Contrast=100
Brightness=50
Color=50
Tint=0
Sharpness=50
Color Temp=Cool

S-Video 1 w/TiVo (standard)
Contrast=55
Brightness=50
Color=50
Tint=0
Sharpness=20
Color Temp=Medium

I really like the colors on the 52MH84; everything looks balanced. SD programs definitely look better through Tivo then the HD cablebox. HD of course looks incredible.
LL
post #96 of 8197 Old 09-08-2004, 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by TheGrub
I use Dish and sit at about 12 to 13 feet from my 52HM84.

It does not happen everytime the camera is panning. But it is very visible on some scenes.

But i agree with you with the source quality. I can't see this problem when i use my LG7832/DVB318 HD DVD player.

I'll try to take a picture tonight and post it so you guys se what we are talking about.

Ok, i tried taking pictures again... here is what i could get... it was pretty hard to take nice pictures that realy shows what's going on.... But here it is.

It was easy to reproduce while playing an xbox racing game. Turning around and around and around was doing it.

1st shot is a shot of the car going straight. Check out the trees, grass and road. Remeber that the car is moving forward pretty fast. So IMO the definition of the trees and everything is pretty good.

http://www.creationspapillonbleu.com...4/straight.jpg

2nd picture is at the same spot but i was doing circles so the whole screen is panning to the right. Look at the trees and grass and road again, it look all grainy.

http://www.creationspapillonbleu.com/52HM84/pan.jpg

i think it's dithering but i could be wrong. If it is then this tv seems to have dithering problems when the camera is panning alot.

Is this what i think ???

I will try taking better pictures.. but these are a start.
post #97 of 8197 Old 09-08-2004, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Grub, what shutter speed were those taken with your camera? Not trying to deny what you're seeing, but with my photo experience the pictures could describe motion blur caused by several frames being captured due to the camera's shutter speed not being fast enough. Most games run at 30-60 frames per second, so you'd have to have a shutter speed of a minimum of about 1/100 of a second to avoid motion blur in a fast paced game. If the pictures are describing what you're seeing, then gaming etc would be annoying with a fast paced game on the Toshiba dlp.
post #98 of 8197 Old 09-08-2004, 06:11 PM

As requested, FLESH tones
LL
post #99 of 8197 Old 09-08-2004, 07:24 PM

for those of your who gor your set with the matching stand, where do you put your center channel (if you have one)?
post #100 of 8197 Old 09-08-2004, 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by David Scott
Grub, what shutter speed were those taken with your camera? Not trying to deny what you're seeing, but with my photo experience the pictures could describe motion blur caused by several frames being captured due to the camera's shutter speed not being fast enough. Most games run at 30-60 frames per second, so you'd have to have a shutter speed of a minimum of about 1/100 of a second to avoid motion blur in a fast paced game. If the pictures are describing what you're seeing, then gaming etc would be annoying with a fast paced game on the Toshiba dlp.

The shutter speed is 1/125 on these shots. You get both on the photo, motion blur and a bit of what i see.

I just realised that if i look at the top left corner of the TV and move my head real fast to the bottom right, i see the same thing !!!...

I did some searches on the net for this... and i think i found what it is. It's called "Temporal Dithering". Its when the picture kinda breaks apart into tiny small dots when there is motion in the picture or when the camera pans.

It's a DLP or single chip display problem. Some say it can be minimized with software etc.. So i guess the Toshiba doesn't do a great job to minimize the Temporal Dithering.
post #101 of 8197 Old 09-08-2004, 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by aaron20832
for those of your who gor your set with the matching stand, where do you put your center channel (if you have one)?

I mounted a shelf on the wall behind the TV.

Click here for picture
post #102 of 8197 Old 09-08-2004, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Grub,
The mounted shelf behind the tv looks really good. Your set-up as a whole looks great. I currently have my center speaker on a stand in front of my current tv which means I had to get a IR repeater to enable my remote to work. I think your method looks much better.
post #103 of 8197 Old 09-09-2004, 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Victor Nowik
Welcome teamills!

I am interested in comparing the relative quality of component vs DVI. I will
post some closeup photos that show text using a DVI to HDMI cable from
my Nvidia Ti4600. Hope you can do same with you component connection.

BTW kenhdtv has done an excellent piece of work on home-brew DLP
calibration here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=442256

From my tentative investigation into the 52hm84 service menu it looks like
we may be able to adapt kenhdtv's work for the Toshiba DLP.

Thanks for the welcome Victor. I am in the middle of a whole house wiring project so my ability to "play" with the TV is limited, however, I will try and help out where I am able. I will say that kenhdtv's project is way outside my comfort zone. That said, I can try and send pix of component up close when I get this rolling a bit better.

An interesting thing that I am getting is a 'right shift' of my image when run through the HTPC. It is not huge, but I am losing about a 1/2" to an 1 inch on the left side of the screen. This is not a problem with the set as it works fine with a direct input from satellite. Anyway, I am trying to work an adjustment to get it centered properly. Btw, any thoughts as to whether adjustments can be made on this TV for that? Otherwise I can just play with the catalyst drives as well.
post #104 of 8197 Old 09-09-2004, 09:41 AM

One good way to scrutinize the "dithering" problem is to push the freeze button located on the lower portion of the tv's remote.

I still am not convinced, though, that this is the TV's problem. If it were, the problem should be evident during similarly fast-motioned scenes on different channels, but this doesn't seem to be the case. I've only seen it on 2 channels.

Since owners' experiences with the Toshiba seem to differ so much, I am starting to think that performance is based mainly on feed, connections, and other equipment. For example, I get noticeable audio/video sync problems nearly half of the time, while others say they've never noticed it. I can't believe that some of the tvs are better than others.
post #105 of 8197 Old 09-09-2004, 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by TheGrub
I mounted a shelf on the wall behind the TV.

Click here for picture

Very nice. This is probably the ideal solution for these tv's.

I guess I might have to put it under the monitor on the top shelf.
post #106 of 8197 Old 09-09-2004, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by teamills
Thanks for the welcome Victor. I am in the middle of a whole house wiring project so my ability to "play" with the TV is limited, however, I will try and help out where I am able. I will say that kenhdtv's project is way outside my comfort zone. That said, I can try and send pix of component up close when I get this rolling a bit better.

An interesting thing that I am getting is a 'right shift' of my image when run through the HTPC. It is not huge, but I am losing about a 1/2" to an 1 inch on the left side of the screen. This is not a problem with the set as it works fine with a direct input from satellite. Anyway, I am trying to work an adjustment to get it centered properly. Btw, any thoughts as to whether adjustments can be made on this TV for that? Otherwise I can just play with the catalyst drives as well.

Before I found the "leaked" nvidia drivers that fixed all my DVI screen
centering issues I was playing around with powerstrip and found that
"front porch" and "back porch" sync adjustments shift the picture right/left.
Try thease if your ATI driver allows this kind of adjustment else try powerstrip.

I am working on wiring as well. Gigabit Ethernet from the HTPC in the
living room to a Terabyte disk server in a bedroom. I have been in the
IT profession for a while now and it tickles me that for a few hundred dollars
I am able to create an infrastructure that a decade ago would cost a mint.
post #107 of 8197 Old 09-09-2004, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Has anyone figured out how to change the bars from gray to black when viewing 4:3 material? I'm either getting the Toshiba or the Pansonic and I don't want to get stuck with the gray bars.
post #108 of 8197 Old 09-09-2004, 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Victor Nowik
Before I found the "leaked" nvidia drivers that fixed all my DVI screen
centering issues I was playing around with powerstrip and found that
"front porch" and "back porch" sync adjustments shift the picture right/left.
Try thease if your ATI driver allows this kind of adjustment else try powerstrip.

I am working on wiring as well. Gigabit Ethernet from the HTPC in the
living room to a Terabyte disk server in a bedroom. I have been in the
IT profession for a while now and it tickles me that for a few hundred dollars
I am able to create an infrastructure that a decade ago would cost a mint.

Great. Thanks for the advice. I am working on component and going to try and use the adjustments in the Customized Timings section of the Catalyst driver set. Any thoughts as to adjustments that can be made to the TV?

When I start messing with DVI, I will give the PowerStrip adjustments a whack.

Btw and a bit off topic (sorry), you are pretty much working on the same infrastructure wiring that I am playing with right now. I, not being an IT professional, am having to pay a "mint" to get this done! Btw, I am in the East Bay, but come to work in Mountain View. It looks like you are right around the corner in S.C. Very cool. More tweaking to be done tonight.
post #109 of 8197 Old 09-09-2004, 12:46 PM

I hope someone has a simple answer to this one.

My 52HM84 is connected to a Comcast STB with a DVI-HDMI cable. In the owner's manual it says that you should turn on the TV before you turn on the HDMI source (and turn the source off first) to give the HDMI/DVI device a chance to reset. I do this, but often I don't get a connection. If I turn off and turn on both a second time, everything works fine. Any thoughts on what I may be doing wrong - or is it a problem with either the TV or the Comcast box?

Other than this, great picture and no other problems.
post #110 of 8197 Old 09-09-2004, 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ress
I hope someone has a simple answer to this one.

My 52HM84 is connected to a Comcast STB with a DVI-HDMI cable. In the owner's manual it says that you should turn on the TV before you turn on the HDMI source (and turn the source off first) to give the HDMI/DVI device a chance to reset. I do this, but often I don't get a connection. If I turn off and turn on both a second time, everything works fine. Any thoughts on what I may be doing wrong - or is it a problem with either the TV or the Comcast box?

In addition to my other issues, I have this one as well. I haven't found a cure yet, except to turn it on and off until I get picture.
post #111 of 8197 Old 09-10-2004, 09:31 AM

Toshiba has posted three new press releases related to their HM/HMX models on their web site. If you're interested, they can be found here:

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/news/new...asp?newsid=154

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/news/new...asp?newsid=160

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/news/new...asp?newsid=161

Mostly, they contain information/specs already known about the current TVs...nothing really groundbreaking. The only item of note that I'm personally glad to see is that they're saying some of the models (including the 52HMX84) are available "now".

Hopefully that means my pre-ordered 52HMX84 is slowly making it's way from Toshiba to my house.
post #112 of 8197 Old 09-10-2004, 05:31 PM

Where did you pre-order your 52HMX84?

I just got off the phone with my local BB and they said that they weren't going to be carrying the HMX84 in it's lineup but will be receiving the HM94.
post #113 of 8197 Old 09-10-2004, 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Anthonyg
Where did you pre-order your 52HMX84?

I just got off the phone with my local BB and they said that they weren't going to be carrying the HMX84 in it's lineup but will be receiving the HM94.

YOU CAN PRE ORDER IT AT VIDEO ONLY- DUBLIN STORE..
OR email at @malayvaghela@yahoo.com

malayvaghela
post #114 of 8197 Old 09-11-2004, 12:51 PM

I preordered mine from Video Only in Dublin, CA (the store mentioned above by Malay). You can go to the Video Only website to see if there are any stores in your vacinity that might be able to work with you - the Dublin store, so far, has been good with me. They might also be able to ship to you...but I don't know what their policy is on shipping.

Toshiba's website also has a lookup feature that will let you look for local dealers that carry the Cinema Series televisions...all of the HMX models are "Cinema Series" and are only carried by selected retailers (BB, CC, etc. typically don't get to carry these as they're 'higher end').

Some people on the boards have also noted that they've ordered with OneCall.com. If you go to their site, they offer pre-ordering on the HMX model. I can't vouch for them, though...never done any business with them.

Hope that helps.
post #115 of 8197 Old 09-11-2004, 10:29 PM

I can vouch for onecall.com .... bought my 52HM84 from them for 2800 shipped and financed it on their credit card for 6 months no interest.... TV came in no time without a hitch, even got a call making sure everything went smooth. Great customer service, great price, and the product came as expected. Two thumbs up.
post #116 of 8197 Old 09-12-2004, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

I also got my 52hm84 from onecall (for 2843). My first big internet
purchase. Shipped same day All went as expected. Delighted with my toshiba. No
other connection with onecall except as a satisfied customer.
post #117 of 8197 Old 09-12-2004, 09:52 PM

I really liked the PQ of the 52hm84 when i went to best buy today compared to all other dlp sets I saw. The only thing that really bothers me is that this set does not officially support a pc which is the only reason why I haven't yet bought this set.

Has anyone noticed any problems with the tv when hooking up their pc which was not correctable?

And will toshiba be shipping any other dlp's which will support a pc?

Has anyone been able to get 1:1 pixel ratio with their pc and this set?
post #118 of 8197 Old 09-12-2004, 10:20 PM

Did anyone else notice this quote from the Toshiba press release?
"All of the DLP TVs feature the stylish cabinet design that is synonymous with Toshiba. The TheaterWide DLP units are graced with a silver cabinet with a grey bezel and the Cinema Series units are silver with a black bezel, an acrylic cover and an aluminum panel."

I wonder what the "acrylic cover" is? Could it be the dreaded Mits DLP Glare Screen returned?
post #119 of 8197 Old 09-13-2004, 08:08 AM

There seems to be some confusion on the 'acrylic' cover issue as different press releases list it as either an 'acrylic cover' or an 'acrylic bezel cover'.

Even if it is an entirely acrylic screen cover, the Toshiba website notes that previous Cinema Series lines have had an acrylic screen cover - but that it's got a non-glare coating.

Here are the marketing blurbs on the two types of screens - the first (TheaterFine) is what the current HM models have...the second (TheaterShield) *may* be what the HMX models have...but none of the marketing for the HMXs has mentioned TheaterShield specifically...so I'm thinking they still have the TheaterFine screen...but have an extra acrylic coating on the black bezel itself to protect it. (?)

TheaterFine DFP (Digital Fine Pitch) Screen with Anti-Glare Coating : Toshiba DLP Projection TVs utilize a Digital Fine Pitch Screen. This screen helps create crisp HD resolution with its super fine screen pitch. It also has an Anti-Glare Coating to reduce unwanted reflections from ambient room light, which helps increase contrast for deeper blacks.

TheaterShield Plus : TheaterShield is an acrylic shield that protects the screen. Unlike some standard shields, the TheaterShield incorporates a special hard coat to resist scratching. TheaterShield Plus adds a new anti-reflective layer on the surfaces of the shield. This layer reduces reflectivity by over 50% and allows the shield to create higher contrast. On all Integrated HDTV and HDTV-Compatible Cinema SeriesĀ® HD models, the result is a shield that provides peerless image quality in all room conditions.

Hard to say exactly what the final story is on the HMXs (unless someone's been to CEDIA and taken some up-close shots of one)...but I think they're anti-glare either way.
post #120 of 8197 Old 09-13-2004, 08:12 AM

I have my 52HM84 for a week and really like the PQ of it. One thing bothering me is the delay time when i turn it on. It sometimes takes 1-2 minutes to have the picture shown. Wonder if anyone has this problem ?

Note that I am using QUICK START mode.

Thanks.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page