? - Component & Composite Cable Color Codes & Interchangeability - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-26-2004, 05:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Please forgive the proverbial "new guy" stupid question, but are component and composite cables interchangeable?

My TV has one set of component cable inputs, as well as an s-video input. But, my Direct Sat receiver only has the composite cable and s-video outputs. I wanted to use the component cables for my TV since I've heard they were better than the s-video input. Is it possible to use the component cables and plug them into the composite outputs on the sat receiver? Or, should I just use the s-video input for the TV, and use the component cable on my DVD player which does have the component outputs.

Thanks for your input and advice.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-26-2004, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Sounds like your working with a SD receiver, S-video is your best option, you can't hook composite outputs to component inputs.

Matt
Please don't PM me with technical questions that should be posted in the forum.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-26-2004, 05:55 AM

There's no difference in each physical cable bewteen component and composite - just 1 cable versus 3.

If you use the component input, you're using the comb filter in your sat receiver (if they even have one, the Y/C separation could be done by the sat company before transmission)

If you use the composite input, you're using the comb filter (which separates the color from the intensity - which is combined in the composite - which is why they call it composite) in your tv.

Use whichever looks best.
post #4 of 6 Old 08-26-2004, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Right, so if the original question is about whether or not there's something magical about the component cable itself, it's as lel4866 points out, other than perhaps a little extra shielding, it's the same. The picture quality advantage (when used as a component cable) is because the signal is being sent with more total bandwidth and with better separation of the elements of the video.

You should use the component cable with your DVD player, or if you have a spare component cable and are short on composite cables, you could use it as a substitute for a yellow/red/white composite video + analog audio cable.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-26-2004, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
The original question was can he use a component cable to hook his composite out on the D* box to his TV, I got a little confused and though he wanted to hook his composite out to the component in's somehow when I believe he was just asking if the component cables will work as composite. The cable can be used to hook the composite out from the receiver to a composite in on the TV, just you'll have two extra unused cables. S-video would be better to use as it's a step up from composite.

Matt
Please don't PM me with technical questions that should be posted in the forum.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-26-2004, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

"I got a little confused and thought he wanted to hook his composite out to the component in's somehow"

Matt - That's actually what I was asking. After I read everyone's replies, I realized that it's the component and composite ins & outs that are different and not so much the cables themselves. I'm so new at this that I wasn't really sure how to ask my question. In any case, you guys have been a big help. I'll just continue to use my s-video on the TV, and the component cable on my DVD players. Thanks again for your input.

Slordak & lel4866 - Thanks very much for your input.

Mark
Closed Thread Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page