HLP5063 Synch Issues - HELP!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 08-28-2004, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Folks,

I've had the HLP5063 for about a week and have noticed a/v synch issues. I'd like to start this thread so other can chime in if they've had the same situation and what they have done to fix it (if it can be fixed). Here is how I have my audio and video setup.

1) Cable runs to the time warner cable box
2) I run a component hook-up from the cable box to my marantz a/v receiver.
3) I run a component hook-up from the HLP5063 to the marantz a/v receiver.
4) I run a digital audio line from the cable box to the marantz a/v receiver.
5) From the cable menu options I have the display settings set at '720p'.
6) I have tried setting the dnie on/off and still get synch issues either way. I prefer to keep this setting on as I like the picture better.
7) I have synch issues on some hd channels such as tnt, nbc and sometimes non-hd channels.

Finally, any comments would be appreciated. I love this tv but I can't live with this issue and will be forced to return it unless I can fix it. Thanks in advance.

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 08-28-2004, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Just let me further add, that it seems to be off by mere nano-seconds with the audio ahead of the video but still very annonying .
post #3 of 28 Old 08-28-2004, 05:07 PM

I've been read/only here for quite a while (this is my First Post!).

I guess more info is needed,

Can you play audio through both your receiver and TV at the same time? I'll bet the receiver audio output is ahead of the TV.

We have the HLP6163 model and have noticed some audio sync issues when playing DVD (non progressive) through the A/V receiver. Audio output to the TV is fine though.

The audio sync through the receiver hasn't really been bad enough to notice (Moulin Rouge was an exception). I figure a progressive player will clear up any audio issues.

Good article here:
www dot audioholics dot com/techtips/specsformats/AV_lip_sync_delay.html
post #4 of 28 Old 08-28-2004, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, the receiver audio output is ahead of the tv. No, I do not run any audio output to the tv. Everything routes to my a/v receiver first. The cable box to the receiver and the tv to the receiver. So the a/v receiver acts as a "switcher" for all components.

I haven't noticed any synch issues with my dvd player (progressive scan player), but then i have only watched one movie so far.

Scott
post #5 of 28 Old 08-28-2004, 05:26 PM

Not owning any of this fancy equipment, I would think you have to take the audio feed from the TV and put that into your receiver. Considering all the video processing being done in the TV, I would expect an audio lag.
post #6 of 28 Old 08-28-2004, 05:55 PM

Me too...

HLP5063 + SIR-TS360...

Seems the HLNs have the same problem too --> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=295677

Annoying to say the least.

My STB goes direct to the HLP via DVI able and RCA for the audio.

Sometimes I notice it, sometimes I don't. It does not seem to be related to content, format or channel. I also notice if I am watching OTA on 2 TVs (one is the HLP) in the house it ALWAYS sounds like there is an echo as the 2 audio sources are NOT in sync.

-- Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left.
post #7 of 28 Old 08-28-2004, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Have you tried routing the video directly from the cable box to the TV with the audio going to the receiver?

Does the receiver have a speaker delay or distance setting to offset any lag?

Is the lag apparent on all stations all the time, or just some stations some of the time? If the latter, it could be a source problem and not the set.

FWIW, with a DVI connection from cable box to set and digital coax from the cable box to my receiver, I get no lag.
post #8 of 28 Old 08-28-2004, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys so far for the responses, I would like to keep this thread going. Based so far, it seems like a good idea to at least try to route the video connections directly from the cable box to the TV. Although, some comments suggest that this will still not work.

Honestly, is this something everyone feels they can live with if it continues to even be a sporadic problem? I am very curious if this is something you eventually get used to.

Anyone contact Samsung to see what their reaction has been? For what it is worth I know the HLN had all kinds of issues with sync problems (an interesting side note, I used to have the HLN5065 and never had any synch issues with the same exact setup I have now).

Scott
post #9 of 28 Old 08-28-2004, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Wittangamo, some further info. I just checked and from what I can tell, there isn't an audio lag setup with my receiver. Also, the issue is very sporadic. It appears to happen more with high def stations and digital stations but not all the time. In fact, I am watching the Nascar Race in high def right now and the audio is off for the commentary but when they go to commercials there is no sync issue. Hmmmmmm

Scott
post #10 of 28 Old 08-28-2004, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

One thing to keep in mind is that almost everyone who pays close attention will see lip-synch problems occasionally because it's a widespread issue among broadcasters and cable and satellite providers.

I've seen it on my old 32" direct-view set. It's just easier to see on a big screen.

Also, the issue with delay due to deinterlacing and scaling video is shared by all HDTVs, not confined to DLPs.

Try a direct video connection to the set and let us know if it makes a difference.
post #11 of 28 Old 08-28-2004, 06:44 PM

Scott, just call Samsung technical service, the will get you in contact with your closest authorized tech in your area, they'll be able to go the service menu on the tv and set the delay of the SINCH. I saw them doing it.
If you do it by yourself, you'll be voiding your warranty.
post #12 of 28 Old 08-29-2004, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I decided to try a DVI hookup from the cable box directly to the TV, I will try this several days and see how it works and let everyone know. For what it is worth, an interesting point, I still have my component hookup as well. Once I hookup the DVI, I can't switch the input back to component. I must first power everything down and then unplug the DVI. Only then will the component work again. Anyways, I will see how my DVI connection works. Very frustrating, probably doesn't help that I am new to the technology.

Scott
post #13 of 28 Old 08-29-2004, 10:49 AM

I have the HLP5085.

I've noticed the same thing with a plain digital box. I'm watching the Olympics and it's different from scene to scene. It doesn't seem to matter whether the box is routed through my reciever or directly attached to the TV.

It doesn't appear to happen with DVDs.

I'm getting an HD box so I'll try everything again on Wed when it arrives.
post #14 of 28 Old 08-29-2004, 02:20 PM

I have my STB (TS360) going direct to my HLP5063 via DVI.

I too have the sync issue. It varies by content and does not seem to be tied to any format or channel. Perhaps it is the way the audio and video are encoded?

My thought is, unless the "timing adjust" is based on difference sources and content, you will just move the problem around.

I was going to try switching the output of the 360 to be 720p so perhaps the 5063 has "less work" to do. When I did this however, the picture from the 360 no longer filled the screen and I did not feel like messing with it at the time. Maybe one of the "native" settings would be even better?

If going through an AV receiver would solve it, I would speed up the purchase of one (the other stuff is barely a month old and I'm not up for more research).

Eric

-- Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left.
post #15 of 28 Old 08-29-2004, 02:59 PM

While fiddling around with the HLP6163 I did notice that enabling "Film Mode" (reverse pulldown I guess?) appears to introduce more of a video delay and thus more of an out of sync external audio. Enabling/disabling the digital noise and DNIe filters didn't seem to change the delay.

Pretty unscientific methods used for this - listening to the amount of echo between the A/V receiver sound and TV sound while playing a DVD.
post #16 of 28 Old 08-29-2004, 05:03 PM

I noticed watching tonite that the sync problem on the Olympic broadcasts has disappeared.

I wonder if it has to do with where and how the feeds are delivered?
post #17 of 28 Old 08-29-2004, 08:10 PM

I just purchased a Mitsubishi 62525 and it has the same sporadic audio sync problem. It can be very annoying. So far, I notice it mostly on the local NBC feed. When I change to another channel, audio and video are in sync. Is this problem unique to DLPs?
post #18 of 28 Old 08-29-2004, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

If it only happens sometimes on some channels, it most likely the source and not the set. It is NOT a problem unique to DLPs.
post #19 of 28 Old 08-30-2004, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter

Further update, I notice a trend with the sync issues (right now at least). It is happening on the high def channels, NBC, ABC, TNT with live broadcast commentary. I don't seem to notice it during a commercial during the same broadcast for example. Doesn't matter if I feed the video directly from the cable box to the tv or route first thru the receiver.

Is this something that samsung tech support can even address? I would be curious to know the folks with the HLN model, their experiences in addressing this as well.

Scott
post #20 of 28 Old 08-30-2004, 06:41 AM

Scott
Is this something that samsung tech support can even address? I would be curious to know the folks with the HLN model, their experiences in addressing this as well

I had a HLN437W for 11 months and Samsung just picked it up and gave me a full refund. I bought a HLP4663 and it has the same issues but a little nicer picture. I guess there is no getting around it for now. Just for the record, I am returning it and settling on the HLP5663 this week. I also just tried the Sony plasma and the same thing happened.
post #21 of 28 Old 08-30-2004, 06:47 PM

I'm currently on the hunt for a new TV and have been taking a close look at DLPs. I have been following these lip synch threads with great interest. I would like to point out one thing though: I see the Moulin Rouge DVD mentioned often. The problem there is the DVD, not your hardware.

The DTS soundtrack on the Moulin Rouge DVD has serious lip sych issues. Here is some more info:

http://forums.dvdfile.com/interactiv...t=moulin+rouge
post #22 of 28 Old 08-31-2004, 04:35 AM

>> The DTS soundtrack on the Moulin Rouge DVD has serious lip sych issues.

Thanks for the info. We never noticed the DTS sync issue before with the video going to a standard TV. I think the slight video delay introduced by the HLP6163 with a DVD @ 480i and "film mode ON" made the lip sync problem much more obvious.
post #23 of 28 Old 09-02-2004, 05:46 AM

I have a HLP5063 and have also been tracking these audio sync issues closely. I've also seen people with plasma and direct view tv report these same problems. I seriously doubt it's the HLP's problem. Why would some channels be perfect (ESPNHD, OTA HD, HDNet coverage of the Rep. Convention) while others are consistently bad (DiscoveryHD)? Directv recently added Bravo HD+ and audio for the US Open is slightly off. New channel, new audio problem.

I have DirecTV to a HD Tivo STB. It seems those on this thread have the problem with a cable box...I can only guess that it's a signal delivery issue at the head end. Hopefully the problem will be fixed in time.
post #24 of 28 Old 09-08-2004, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, further update, not sure what else to try but to call Samsung Tech support as I still experience a/v sync issues whether connecting directly to the tv or av receiver. The other day it was horrible on high def abc, way out of sync. Basic standard def channels appear all right.

For what it is worth, I had an HLN5065 and never had a sync issue. Not sure what else to try, I do appreciate everyone's input. Thanks.

Scott
post #25 of 28 Old 09-08-2004, 01:59 PM

Let us know what the Tech finds. Good luck.
post #26 of 28 Old 09-08-2004, 02:15 PM

Just had to offer my $.02. From everything I've read, this is not a problem with the TV, it's a problem with the source. So why would you bother calling Samsung. That's like calling BMW because there's a pothole in your street that you hit every other day.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Going to church doesn't make a man a Christian, any more than going to a garage makes him an automobile.
-- Billy Sunday
post #27 of 28 Old 09-09-2004, 05:48 AM

Geckotek, in 99% of the cases I agree with you. I blame the source. But his HLN with the exact same setup had no sync issues. Now the HLP does. That one is hard to explain.
post #28 of 28 Old 09-09-2004, 07:34 AM

Good point

Going to church doesn't make a man a Christian, any more than going to a garage makes him an automobile.
-- Billy Sunday
Closed Thread Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page