Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 1470 Old 10-17-2004, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by gammadude
Is it possible for you to try an antenna for OTA HD using the internal tuner? If your local towers aren't too far a small antenna may work. That would be your best bet for HD until the cable upgrade. The other option is switching to satellite, but it may not be feasible for you (house vs. apartment, line of sight, etc).

Good luck.

Yes, I could try the antenna and it should work but the store really wants me to take it home and make a decision within a week on whether to keep it or upgrade to a 60". I really want to test it out thoroughly. I have looked into VOOM and may go that route. I wish I could talk to someone who has VOOM. Hopefully, the dealer can pull some strings and get me a box or cablecard. I know they have some of those stashed somewhere. In any event, I hope to get over this hump soon. I want my Hitachi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 1470 Old 10-18-2004, 08:38 AM

(Moved from a dedicated thread..)

Hitachi VX915 worth 20% premium over vs810?
I'm pulling the trigger on a 60" VS810 or VX915 in the next couple of days. I saw these sets in the same room today and did notice a significant improvement in glare with the vx915 over the vs810.. but.. the difference in price would be about $900 more for the VX915 vs. the VS810. That comes to about a 20% increase in price for the VX915.

The questions I have are.

a. Is the difference in price proportional to the MSRP
b. Is it worth it.

Thanks for the help.

Michael

PS.. Since price posting is not allowed, would someone mind pm-ing me with the level of discount, either $$ or % they were able to get off of MSRP?

Thanks again
post #303 of 1470 Old 10-18-2004, 08:44 AM

Although I have not seen the 915 series since there are NO DIRECTOR'S SERIES DEALERS IN WISCONSIN, I can't believe the price increase just to have a reasonable screen on it that doesn't act like a mirror. I say shame on Hitachi for putting out the 810 with such a reflective screen; shame on Hitachi for pricing the 915 for so much more; and shame on Hitachi for making it so damned hard to find the 915 series.

Sorry, I guess I'm a little bitter about the whole situation. Or maybe I'm just bitter that the TV I bought (JVC HD-61Z585) on September 6th probably isn't going to ship until sometime in November...
post #304 of 1470 Old 10-18-2004, 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by scmguru
(Moved from a dedicated thread..)

Hitachi VX915 worth 20% premium over vs810?
I'm pulling the trigger on a 60" VS810 or VX915 in the next couple of days. I saw these sets in the same room today and did notice a significant improvement in glare with the vx915 over the vs810.. but.. the difference in price would be about $900 more for the VX915 vs. the VS810. That comes to about a 20% increase in price for the VX915.

The questions I have are.

a. Is the difference in price proportional to the MSRP
b. Is it worth it.

Thanks for the help.

Michael

PS.. Since price posting is not allowed, would someone mind pm-ing me with the level of discount, either $$ or % they were able to get off of MSRP?

Thanks again

Check your pm. The following information is provided as a public service:

Best RPTV
Sony Electronics: SXRD 70-inch 1080p RPTV. This is Sony's version of LCOS, based on Sony's Silicon X-tal Reflective Display (SXRD) technology

introdUced about a year ago in the QUALIA 004 front projector. With the product, Sony jumped to the front of the pack, being the first to announce a 1080p LCOS-RPTV. SXRD microdisplays use a vertically aligned liquid crystal for a high device contrast ratio exceeding 3000:1 and optimal black level reproduction. An ultra-thin cell gap enables fast response times of less than 5 ms, avoiding any motion blur artifacts.

Expect to see this LCOS-RPTV in early 2005 with a price tag of less than $10K.

RPTV Runner-Up RPTV
Hitachi America Ltd.: Ultravision LCD-RPTV Cineform Director's Series VX915 RPTV. The Hitachi RPTVs feature a novel two-stage lens design, along with a special screen. This combination reduces the height of the picture above the table top, while also reducing the cabinet volume over 20% from Hitachi's previous model.
http://www.insightmedia.info/emailbl...IABestBuzz.htm
post #305 of 1470 Old 10-18-2004, 09:39 AM

Reference page #14 of this thread for my first submission of this TV then read on.
I received my second 810 and it does not display the same green tinge that was barely noticeable on my previous 810 in the bottom L/R corners.
But I hate to report that yet again I have pixels stuck.
2 green pixels 2 inch's apart on the upper right side of the set.
I'm going to try once more for the store to replace it (they don't have a problem with this) but either way I will indefinately be keeping this set even if the new one again has 1 or 2 pixels stuck. This set is an absolute dream and I really don't want to take my $$ back to get any other LCD mocel, it would be like buying a mercedes then trading down to a Hyundai, this set is that good. (note: CRT's are too big and heavy for me and I need the TVstand for my component stacking, don't have enough room in the apartment for a seperate rack)
I will report back again in a few weeks when the 3rd set comes in. I certainly don't have the $$$ to upgrade to a 50" Plasma, which would be my only option for which I'm not sure that would really be an upgrade either way.

Spend Spend Spend
post #306 of 1470 Old 10-18-2004, 09:43 AM
YAZ

Hi,

I just pulled the trigger this morning - returned the 500 for the 810. Was wondering, does anyone have any suggestions for settings on this unit? At first glance I must say what a nice LCD however I'm somewhat concerned with awful reflection from the screen.

Yaz.
post #307 of 1470 Old 10-18-2004, 12:13 PM
BBH

Quote:

Originally posted by dsierra

Expect to see this LCOS-RPTV in early 2005 with a price tag of less than $10K.

[/url] [/b]

I expect it on the order of $9999.
post #308 of 1470 Old 10-18-2004, 02:34 PM

Quote:

Yes, I could try the antenna and it should work but the store really wants me to take it home and make a decision within a week on whether to keep it or upgrade to a 60". I really want to test it out thoroughly. I have looked into VOOM and may go that route. I wish I could talk to someone who has VOOM. Hopefully, the dealer can pull some strings and get me a box or cablecard. I know they have some of those stashed somewhere. In any event, I hope to get over this hump soon. I want my Hitachi!

I have VOOM if you have any questions.
post #309 of 1470 Old 10-18-2004, 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by YAZ
Hi,

I just pulled the trigger this morning - returned the 500 for the 810. Was wondering, does anyone have any suggestions for settings on this unit? At first glance I must say what a nice LCD however I'm somewhat concerned with awful reflection from the screen.

Yaz.

Congrats. Take a look at page 10 of this thread. I posted my settings, which are based on AVIA and which seem to be very close to settings that others have used. As I noted in my post, I bumped the contrast and brightness about 5-8% above what AVIA suggested. This seems to have helped reduce SSE effect, although I probably am just getting used to it. I've also since gone into the color decoder and dropped the green level to about 35%.

I still have a green push/bleed problem on my set, but hopefully the Hitachi tech coming Saturday can either fix it or I'll get a new set. If he recommends any changes to the settings, I'll post them here.
post #310 of 1470 Old 10-18-2004, 02:59 PM

Squeaky wheel gets the grease. TW found a HD box for me. So, delivery of the 915 is now scheduled for Tuesday between 2-4. Yee Haw.

Gammadude said:
"I have VOOM if you have any questions."
My biggest question is whether or not you are happy with VOOM? And, if the pic quality is good, the number of HD channels is for real and not hype, and whether you would recommend it? Even though I got a box from TW, I am still considering VOOM.
post #311 of 1470 Old 10-18-2004, 03:25 PM

I have been pretty happy with VOOM so far. There are some problems with the STB locking-up periodically when changing channels but there should be a STB w/DVR soon. I lease my STB so I am not committed to an expensive hardware purchase. There are 10 commercial free cinema channels that will be themed soon by genre (Pixel for kids, Kung-fu, etc.) There are also original content channels with auctions, fashion, music (plenty of HD PBS Soundstage concerts), and animation. All the premium channels are available in HD with ESPN, TNT, Discovery, Bravo (lots of repeats) also available. Most of the VOOM original channels tend to repeat programming but that should decrease as more content is added. The STB has a DVI out so a digital connection to the vx915 or vs810 should be possible via a DVI-HDMI cable. The SD content is good, but Food network and HGTV is missing (if you require). There is always debate over the PQ. I think it is fine but occasional pixellation is seen due to bandwidth limitations. Since you got a cable STB, try it and keep VOOM as an option if you're unhappy. Regardless of any issues with VOOM it is a strange feeling having more than 2-3 HD channels to surf through.

I am currently on the fence between the 60vs810 and the 60vx915. I am very interested in your impressions and pics (please post pics!!) of the 915. I have a CRT RPTV with terrible glare but it is a hard decision considering the price difference between the two models.

Have fun tomorrow.
post #312 of 1470 Old 10-18-2004, 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by gammadude
I have been pretty happy with VOOM so far. There are some problems with the STB locking-up periodically when changing channels but there should be a STB w/DVR soon. I lease my STB so I am not committed to an expensive hardware purchase. There are 10 commercial free cinema channels that will be themed soon by genre (Pixel for kids, Kung-fu, etc.) There are also original content channels with auctions, fashion, music (plenty of HD PBS Soundstage concerts), and animation. All the premium channels are available in HD with ESPN, TNT, Discovery, Bravo (lots of repeats) also available. Most of the VOOM original channels tend to repeat programming but that should decrease as more content is added. The STB has a DVI out so a digital connection to the vx915 or vs810 should be possible via a DVI-HDMI cable. The SD content is good, but Food network and HGTV is missing (if you require). There is always debate over the PQ. I think it is fine but occasional pixellation is seen due to bandwidth limitations. Since you got a cable STB, try it and keep VOOM as an option if you're unhappy. Regardless of any issues with VOOM it is a strange feeling having more than 2-3 HD channels to surf through.

I am currently on the fence between the 60vs810 and the 60vx915. I am very interested in your impressions and pics (please post pics!!) of the 915. I have a CRT RPTV with terrible glare but it is a hard decision considering the price difference between the two models.

Have fun tomorrow.

Hey Dude, thanks for the info. Regarding your fence sitting between the 60vs810 vs the 60vx915, let me say this. I paid $38xx for the 50vx915, and the dealer wants another $650 for the 60". Circuit City has the 60vs810 on their website for $46xx. Of course your dealer may not want to sell the 60vx915 to you for that but he can if wants to and still make money. Decisions, decisions. I will post pics and give my impressions as soon as possible. I will at least post something tomorrow evening.

Thanks again for the info.
post #313 of 1470 Old 10-19-2004, 04:48 PM

It's in the house. Hooked up and looking good. This TV is killer. Haven't had much time to play yet. The screen is really good and dark but true test on reflections will come tomorrow. I am sitting 8' away from 50" and it looks great with an absolutely fantastic picture. Looks like a keeper.
post #314 of 1470 Old 10-20-2004, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member

Okay,

Hitachi says their LCD displays aren't for use as PC displays via the HDMI inputs.

But this thread (or a different one?) mentions that they can display an image from a computer (a powerbook).

But the question is: is it a 1:1 image direct to screen, or is it scaled/streched. I'd be interested to find out what resolutions seem to work from a computer.

At the moment, I'm really tempted to go for a 70VX915 (the VS series seems to have way too much glare problems (or is the lack-of-glare-screen on the VS series removable?).

But the Samsung DLPs have better PC/Mac input support. Of course, the samsungs don't have a 70" and their 60" is only the lower quality model (so far).
post #315 of 1470 Old 10-20-2004, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a question about the color adjustments within the 50VS810. Over the weekend we were auditioning the 50V500(?) and the dealer showed some menus that allowed you to adjust the colors. The first menu, the Color Decoding menu, allows you to adjust Red, Green and Blue levels plus the Tint scale. The second menu, the Color Management menu, allows you to adjust the Magenta, Yellow, Cyan, Red, Green and Blue levels.

Reading the 50VS810 Owner's manual, I noticed it has the same options. My question is this: Why is Red, Green, and Blue in two separate menus? It appears to be a redundancy to me, or is it?

Michael
post #316 of 1470 Old 10-21-2004, 07:35 AM

I have updated my thread here with a few sample clips of the problem that I have been experiencing.

Quote:

Originally posted by ad10ad
I saw in your initial post that the problems seems to occur when there is a scene shift (i.e., dark to light). Can you give a few examples of movies/scenes that seemed to have triggered the sync problem?

post #317 of 1470 Old 10-21-2004, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's in the house. Hooked up and looking good. This TV is killer. Haven't had much time to play yet. The screen is really good and dark but true test on reflections will come tomorrow. I am sitting 8' away from 50" and it looks great with an absolutely fantastic picture. Looks like a keeper.

How is the reflection on the vx915 and how do you like the tv overall? Have you had any problems like zeagles?
Thanks
Matt
post #318 of 1470 Old 10-21-2004, 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mattburk
How is the reflection on the vx915 and how do you like the tv overall? Have you had any problems like zeagles?
Thanks
Matt

Well, the TW HD box worked for one (1) day and it died. They are sending a guy out in the morning. He better bring a new box or there is gonna be fireworks. Needless to say, I am depressed. But back to the tv. I watched HD programming until 3 am that first day before the box died. The picture is absolutey spectacular. I have not played with the settings. DVDs look good, I watched Master & Commander and it was almost like being at the movies. I will be able to give more info when I get a new box. The biggest surprise is the sound. The best, by far, that I have ever heard from a TV. It is really good.

As for reflections, it has been cloudy until this afternoon. My TV faces south and there are two (2) large windows facing it and three (3) smaller windows on the east side. When the sun came out late, I opened the blinds and I could see a noticeable reflection from one of the windows. However, it pretty much disappeared when I played Nemo.

All in all, I am highly pleased with this TV. I still have some things to get right on the connections. I had to move my components to the new stand and I screwed something up as the TV was not playing through the receiver and the DVD had no sound unless through the receiver. I have a book for the TV, a book for the receiver, a book for the cable box, a book for the DVD and they all have different hook-ups for everything. But no sense in trying to hook the stuff up until I get the new box. Oh yeah, did I mention that there were gonna be fireworks if the TW guy doesn't get me a HD signal in the morning?

More later.
post #319 of 1470 Old 10-21-2004, 07:52 PM

Hey dsierra,
congrats on your new TV,I also have just got the 50vx915 last Sat. As this is my first rptv,So there is a lot to learn but I tell ya the pic. is amazing.

I too have TW and getting my cablecard next sat. When I got my tv I was setting up the channels,It first went threw the analog channels then it starting to check for digital channels,it found 6 channels 2 of them were TNT,NBC both were in 1080i,16x9 and 5.1 sound.I don't know if this happend to anybody else,it seemed wierd as I only have basic cable.Any Input would be helpful,Thanks...........
post #320 of 1470 Old 10-21-2004, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

JimWCB, the computer image is not scaled nor stretched as long as you output the proper resolution. I had to play with this a bit to get as close a match to the native resolution as possible, and it still spills beyond the screen a bit, but I hope to find a way to resolve that issue soon.
post #321 of 1470 Old 10-21-2004, 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by wupshaw
JimWCB, the computer image is not scaled nor stretched as long as you output the proper resolution. I had to play with this a bit to get as close a match to the native resolution as possible, and it still spills beyond the screen a bit, but I hope to find a way to resolve that issue soon.

wupshaw, do you have a VX915? 810? what size? also, are you pushing the PC Video through the HDMI port with a DVI-HDMI adapter? Using powerstrip around 1280x720?
Sorry for the flurry of questions but PC connectivity is a big one on my list of wishes for a new HDTV.

Thanks
post #322 of 1470 Old 10-22-2004, 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Hoss 315
Hey dsierra,
congrats on your new TV,I also have just got the 50vx915 last Sat. As this is my first rptv,So there is a lot to learn but I tell ya the pic. is amazing.

I too have TW and getting my cablecard next sat. When I got my tv I was setting up the channels,It first went threw the analog channels then it starting to check for digital channels,it found 6 channels 2 of them were TNT,NBC both were in 1080i,16x9 and 5.1 sound.I don't know if this happend to anybody else,it seemed wierd as I only have basic cable.Any Input would be helpful,Thanks...........

I am curious about this as well. Hopefully someone will enlighten us.
post #323 of 1470 Old 10-22-2004, 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Hoss 315
Hey dsierra,

Hey Hoss, congratualtions to you. This is also my first rptv. Do you have an antenna to get those digital channels? If so what kind do you have? By the way, I agree there is a lot to learn. TW here is claiming that they are having issues with the cablecards. Huh? They are the largest cable company in the country and they are having problems in Memphis? BS. I have read that Memphis is the best wired (fiber optical) city in the US. I know, hard to believe but Memphis spent a bundle on wiring this town. So it is hard to believe they are having issues unless $1.75 for the cablecard vs. $8.25 for a converter box is an issue. LOL!

TW guy is here right now. The old box worked for an hour this morning then froze. Well, he left. The good news is I have a working box. The bad news is that the box is Scientific Atlanta and is not as good as the Pace box. There is no provision for pass through. Plus, when I hit the guide or info button, I lose the picture. So I now have an outdated box with problems. TW is starting to really piss me off. I called in and requested to be put on a list for a new box.

Maybe I can at least get everything set up. More to come.
post #324 of 1470 Old 10-22-2004, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by 71intheworks
wupshaw, do you have a VX915? 810? what size? also, are you pushing the PC Video through the HDMI port with a DVI-HDMI adapter? Using powerstrip around 1280x720?
Sorry for the flurry of questions but PC connectivity is a big one on my list of wishes for a new HDTV.

Thanks

I have a 50VS810.

I'm using an Apple Powerbook, which is one of the VERY few notebooks with DVI out. The video card is a ATI Radeon 9700, which allows me to set a seperate resolution for an external monitor. Its currently set for 1280x720, but there is still spillage. I'm using a DVI/HDMI cable.

To my knowledge, Powerstrip doesn't run on OSX. If anyone knows of a substitution, please enlighten me.

I posted some screenshots of iTunes and web browsing somewhere earlier in the forum.

*edit* - Here it is http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...89#post4427789
post #325 of 1470 Old 10-22-2004, 11:20 AM

Wupshaw,

Try Switchres. Don't know if it's as powerful as Powerstrip, but it's supposed to accomplish some of the same things.

Here: http://www.madrau.com/html/SRX/About.html

Bob
post #326 of 1470 Old 10-22-2004, 01:23 PM

Is 10 feet (viewing distance) too close for a 60VS810? CC has a 5 hour sale and I'm about to jump on it...
post #327 of 1470 Old 10-22-2004, 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by scmguru
Is 10 feet (viewing distance) too close for a 60VS810? CC has a 5 hour sale and I'm about to jump on it...

I am 8' from a 50". All is well. Go for it. If it is too big, you have 30 days to swap it for a 50".
post #328 of 1470 Old 10-22-2004, 01:47 PM

Wow.. I did it.. ordered the 60" w/ stand.. both were/are 10% off at the CC website.. Can't wait!! Thanks for your help everyone. I wanted the VX915 but in the end.. couldn't justify the extra 700$ for a darker screen. I'll give this one a try.. if the glare is too bad, I'll return and the get vx.
post #329 of 1470 Old 10-22-2004, 02:18 PM

Quote:

Hey Hoss, congratualtions to you. This is also my first rptv. Do you have an antenna to get those digital channels? If so what kind do you have? By the way, I agree there is a lot to learn. TW here is claiming that they are having issues with the cablecards. Huh? They are the largest cable company in the country and they are having problems in Memphis? BS. I have read that Memphis is the best wired (fiber optical) city in the US. I know, hard to believe but Memphis spent a bundle on wiring this town. So it is hard to believe they are having issues unless $1.75 for the cablecard vs. $8.25 for a converter box is an issue. LOL!

TW guy is here right now. The old box worked for an hour this morning then froze. Well, he left. The good news is I have a working box. The bad news is that the box is Scientific Atlanta and is not as good as the Pace box. There is no provision for pass through. Plus, when I hit the guide or info button, I lose the picture. So I now have an outdated box with problems. TW is starting to really piss me off. I called in and requested to be put on a list for a new box.

Maybe I can at least get everything set up. More to come.

No I have no antenna,in the tv's setup when you auto scan for the channels, it first goes threw the anolog chan. then it will pause for min. then it will start to scan for digital chann. it came up with 6 digital -TNT chann.#80-300 at 1080i,#80-4 was PBS at 480i,102 was CBS at 1080i,#445 was jewelry tv at 480i,#528 was disney at480i,#80-3 was PBS you at 480i,these were the only channel I got in digital.the 2 channels in 1080i were nice because they were in 16x9 and 5.1 sound.the others in 480i were in 4.3 and no 5.1 sound.No issues here with cable cards, only problem was i had to wait 3 weeks for TW to install it,good thing i called early
post #330 of 1470 Old 10-22-2004, 02:44 PM

No I have no antenna,in the tv's setup when you auto scan for the channels, it first goes threw the anolog chan. then it will pause for min. then it will start to scan for digital chann. it came up with 6 digital -TNT chann.#80-300 at 1080i,#80-4 was PBS at 480i,102 was CBS at 1080i,#445 was jewelry tv at 480i,#528 was disney at480i,#80-3 was PBS you at 480i,these were the only channel I got in digital.the 2 channels in 1080i were nice because they were in 16x9 and 5.1 sound.the others in 480i were in 4.3 and no 5.1 sound.No issues here with cable cards, only problem was i had to wait 3 weeks for TW to install it,good thing i called early

Hey Hoss, do you have you cable going in on Ant A or Ant B? Because my cable goes in on Video 1 input. When I scan, I get nothing.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page