Mitsubishi WD XX725 owners thread - Page 237 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7081 of 7433 Old 07-01-2010, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That is what I was thinking too.

It looks like we will be getting the new TV. I talked to Mitsubishi and they would not credit me the $169 we have already paid (sort of understandable since that fee was paid to a 3rd party), but the place where we purchased the TV and had it serviced (ABT Electronics) said they will credit us that fee! So we will be getting a new 60738 in about 2 weeks once the order comes in.

Even though the diagnostic fee was higher at ABT (about $60 more than the places Mitsubishi recommended), I'm really glad we went with them, it made this process a little easier.
Also if anyone else is going through this same process, give Mitsubishi a call if you do not get a call back with an offer in a few days. The phone number showed up as "800 number" or "unknown number" on our caller ID, and they do not leave a message, so we missed their call the first time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7082 of 7433 Old 07-08-2010, 06:55 AM

I've been a long time lurker on this thread, and have found it extremely helpful over the years. Especially, when it came to cleaning the mirrors, and the problems with the component inputs.

Just this week my 62725 died and I have the BGLOD, just 4 months after the extended warranty failed. I will be calling Mits today to get the whole process started. However, I was wondering if anybody had any tips on how to deal with Mits. I am not interested in having the set rebuilt, but if they are willing to make an offer on a new set, like I have seen in previous threads I would be interested.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff
post #7083 of 7433 Old 07-08-2010, 11:24 AM

When you first call Mitsubishi, explain your problem. They then asked for my zip code, and used that to find the 2 closest authorized Mitsubishi repair centers. Both where the ones that travel anywhere, so they came up as closest. You do not have to go with these places, you only need to have the set diagnosed by an authorized Mitsubishi center. Once the diagnosis is complete, you will need to fax the detailed repair to the number they give you, and then Mitsubishi will give you a call in the next couple of days with an offer.

When they give you a call, they will probably initially offer to pay 1/2 of the repair cost (~$250 in my case). I asked if they could do anything better, since 6 months ago Mitsubishi would pay for rebuilt chassis (~$300 I think) and the customer would pay the labor (the lady we dealt with at the repair place told us this).
Mitsubishi then said that they would evaluate it and call us back. When they called back, they offered us a WD-60738 for $498.25 (including tax).

We decided to go with the place we purchased the TV at (ABT Electronics) instead of the 2 places Mitsubishi gave us, because they have always treated us well and it turned out to be worth it in the end.

Our neighbors have the exact model we do (WD-52725) and they also got offered a new 60738 for the same price.

I would find out which service center will diagnose the TV for the lowest cost, because if you choose to get the new set, Mitsubishi will not refund the cost for the service call. A new set will then cost you $500 + whatever the diagnostic was, so the less the diagnostic costs, the better.
post #7084 of 7433 Old 07-08-2010, 02:11 PM

Thanks, I really appreciate the help.
post #7085 of 7433 Old 07-10-2010, 07:58 AM

I have a mitts WD62725 DLP. 2 problems, I installed a bulb cassette and the timer never reset, still have the solid yellow led. I also have what looks like static on the screen all the time, very noticeable on dark colors.

Any tips, I have had the set apart before 2x to clean mirrors so am pretty familiar.
Thanx, for any replys.
post #7086 of 7433 Old 07-11-2010, 07:12 PM

Okay, so my TV has started getting the green blinking light of death (just sounds better to say it out loud) after about 5 years of having the set. I have no extended warranty but hearing you all talk about it - it seems that I can still have Mits do something about it and possibly get another TV out of the deal? Is that correct?

As of now, I just unplug the set for 30 minutes or so and then the TV will stop blinking and power up but I know it's just a matter of time before it's completely dead.

Do I wait for it to die completely or can I go ahead and call now?

Kevin
post #7087 of 7433 Old 07-12-2010, 08:36 PM

Call now and get it recorded.
post #7088 of 7433 Old 07-13-2010, 09:42 PM

pacofortacos you have a PM

A couple of things if you are into fixing your tv yourself.
tvrepairworld.com has nice instructions but the caps are only $5-10 and can be had at buy-capacitors.com

then I find out it is the ballast board!
I have found them for fairly cheaps as well.

But now I am checking craigslist locally for other broken sets with different symptoms to make one working set from 2 since the set is cheaper than the parts in it!
post #7089 of 7433 Old 07-13-2010, 10:42 PM

Oh so my story. i bought the 62725 in early 06 as the floor model. got it for 2200 taxes delivered and all and thought "score" and it worked great, but a couple of months ago it finally died and i knew it was not the bulb (replaced those before) Now at 2200/4+ years=$500/year that is pretty pricey by todays standards. Like buying a decent size flat panel every year!

Well I finally got around to looking to fix it and did a lot of searching, unfortunately found this forum last lol I should have known there is a forum for everything these days.

I will get 20 years out of the SOB if i have to replace every cap in it

Tearing it down was a good experience though and seeing the dust collected on the mirror would have left me with a poor picture, so I look at it like some good learning.

I may snag a broken one for $100 and fix it well worth it.
post #7090 of 7433 Old 07-14-2010, 03:30 PM

Stroker396

What did you use to clean the mirror?
post #7091 of 7433 Old 07-14-2010, 08:29 PM

Now your going to make me embarrass myself.

I tore the tv down every single screw. When I looked at the mirror it was dusty as hell from a 4yr build up. First I hit it with the compressed air but that was not enough. Then i looked away for a second and the kids were admiring their breath on the big mirror how it caused condensation. I almost lost it. GET!

so finally I figured well it is bugging me I wiped it with my dirty t-shirt (it had to be better than as it was). Anyways I figure before I finally put it back together I will clean it properly.

When I get to it (after the ballast arrives and i make sure it is all working again) The way I will/would do it is this.

With a lint free cloth and rubbing alcohol. It does not leave any residue or streaks. It removes any oils, fingerprints, you name it.

Be careful not to choose a fingernail polish that has added crap in it, but a straight ??? (forgot the name starts with an A, paint thinner) would do the trick as well.
post #7092 of 7433 Old 07-20-2010, 07:16 PM

Wow I almost lost it! I got the new ballast board today poped it in and fired it up. Sound came on and I made an premature prediction "Let there be light"

Ya I got the lamp light (Red). After two more tries, I see what looks like sparks coming from the ballast. So I removed the metal cover to better see what it was and fired it up again, only this time We've got liftoff! yes it is finally fixed!

Now to reassemble the details and clean the screen.

hint: never leave the screen within a mile of your kids.
post #7093 of 7433 Old 07-22-2010, 11:51 AM

Just thought I would update everyone on my experience with Mits. My WD62725 died a few months after the 5 year warranty expired. As suggested on this site I called Mitsubishi and explained the problem. They had me call a service center, so they could run the diagnostics test on the set, and confirm what I all ready knew.

The test cost me $85 dollars, which compared to some other posts on this thread, didn't seem like too bad a deal.

Once everything was sent in, Mits offered to pay half of the repair cost or let me purchase a 65638 for $500 dollars. I really don't like the silver on the 638 models and find the 738s much more appealing. Now they are sending my request to a review board and I should hear back from them tomorrow. I'll let you know if I get the 738.

I have to admit that with all of the problems everyone seems to be having with the 525, 725, and 825 series, it's hard to believe some lawyer hasn't started a class action lawsuit. Although, I am sure the only ones who would benefit would be the lawyers.
post #7094 of 7433 Old 07-23-2010, 09:09 AM

I have had a 62525 for about 5.5 years now and I have started to have a lot of the problems that I have seen posted on this thread. I have cleaned the mirrors periodically but nothing more than that.

I definitely have the green and purple wavy lines which I understand means I need to replace caps.

Then yesterday morning the picture got "static" and then just went to blue screen. I turned it off and figured I would check it after work. After work it had no picture and I got the red light for lamp needing to be replaced. No previous lamp warnings as in past.

I have a feeling that it is more than a lamp issue but wanted to get opinions on that before I order a new one.

Is it really worth it to pay someone to look at it and then try to negotiate with Mitsubishi? It seems like from what I've read that even if Mitsubishi offers me a deal then total cost to replace (including service check) will end up being in the $600-$700 range.

If it makes sense to buy a new tv, does anyone have any suggestions on a tv in the 60" range for under $1,000 (even if not Mitsubishi)?

Thanks in advance for your help.
post #7095 of 7433 Old 07-23-2010, 11:31 PM

The 2009 Mits DLP 60"/65"/73" is frequently on sale. For around $800, $900, and $1200 respectively.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=18951467

Set up an alert at slickdeals and fatwallet with the keyword "DLP".
http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2141988
post #7096 of 7433 Old 07-24-2010, 09:46 AM

In my mind at least. there is no way it makes any sense to pay any money toward a repair. Just look at the number of posts where someone either fixed it themselves or paid a repairman to basically authorize a replacement board from Mits then a few weeks after the repair, they are back right where they started. Also note the down time involved and then compare that the the prices fareal mentioned.

When faced with this same decision, I concluded that the most logical ($ vs. size) thing to do was to repalce my 62 inch w/ a 65 inch Mits DLP. I then went out and purchased a 65inch Panny 3D plasma. My actions don't always follow logic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreidel23 View Post

I have had a 62525 for about 5.5 years now and I have started to have a lot of the problems that I have seen posted on this thread. I have cleaned the mirrors periodically but nothing more than that.

I definitely have the green and purple wavy lines which I understand means I need to replace caps.

Then yesterday morning the picture got "static" and then just went to blue screen. I turned it off and figured I would check it after work. After work it had no picture and I got the red light for lamp needing to be replaced. No previous lamp warnings as in past.

I have a feeling that it is more than a lamp issue but wanted to get opinions on that before I order a new one.

Is it really worth it to pay someone to look at it and then try to negotiate with Mitsubishi? It seems like from what I've read that even if Mitsubishi offers me a deal then total cost to replace (including service check) will end up being in the $600-$700 range.

If it makes sense to buy a new tv, does anyone have any suggestions on a tv in the 60" range for under $1,000 (even if not Mitsubishi)?

Thanks in advance for your help.

post #7097 of 7433 Old 07-24-2010, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
For those of you that got replacements or discounts on your newer model, why did mits do this for you all? Did you still have a valid warranty? What number did you call? Great customer service either way.
post #7098 of 7433 Old 07-25-2010, 08:44 PM

Just a quick update.

While the TV is working again and it really turned out to be the ballast board (I am still only getting 315V to it). I have a feeling I am due for some more repairs as. 1. The picture still takes a long time to come on. Also I am not sure what I did and I will investigate it but the remote control is not working very well, it only seems to work at close range from a 30* angle with a long button hold!

I will enjoy it while it lasts, but I went to buy a broken 62525 for parts and the seller mentioned the newer 65" Mitsu for $900. Not an option for me but for those who want out of the V26 chassis something to think about.
post #7099 of 7433 Old 07-25-2010, 11:17 PM

@Curtis

I am one of them that got a replacement. I ended up with the 65838? The top of the line DLP from 2010....

I paid about $400 or $500 for it and it has an awesome picture. Much better than the 62525 I had before.

Mits did this while it was out of warranty due to the number of complaintes they have recieved about these. I always tell everyone to call Mits before trying to repair themselves... They should at least pay for the repair. I had a choice of getting replacement for price of repair or getting repair... Either way, I felt like this was the final time they would do anything for it...
post #7100 of 7433 Old 07-26-2010, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by aevans0001 View Post

@Curtis

I am one of them that got a replacement. I ended up with the 65838? The top of the line DLP from 2010....

I paid about $400 or $500 for it and it has an awesome picture. Much better than the 62525 I had before.

Mits did this while it was out of warranty due to the number of complaintes they have recieved about these. I always tell everyone to call Mits before trying to repair themselves... They should at least pay for the repair. I had a choice of getting replacement for price of repair or getting repair... Either way, I felt like this was the final time they would do anything for it...

Did you have to dispose of your old tV or did they hall it away?
I have a CRT type and am having issues but it is only 6 years old and warranty ran out last year.
post #7101 of 7433 Old 07-26-2010, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
They took my old DLP with them.
post #7102 of 7433 Old 07-26-2010, 05:43 PM

They were *Suppose* to take mine.... I guess they forgot it so I fixed it for $50...
post #7103 of 7433 Old 07-26-2010, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by aevans0001 View Post

they were *suppose* to take mine.... I guess they forgot it so i fixed it for $50...

sweet:d
post #7104 of 7433 Old 08-03-2010, 03:41 PM

well like many i have read here i bought mine on the spring of 2005.

And then the fun began, the screen was crooked, the took it in and centered it. 6 months later bulb goes out. under warranty i ask tech why did this happen, "Reply was you know these electronics they do that some times".
Okay I was a master technician for automotive for over 20 years, i get that electronics go out sometimes so no big deal .right?

9 months later bulb goes out, replaced under extended warranty this time.

Must have been a power surge he said, i have a $350 line cleaner surge protector and battery back up, it and all the AV units plug into.

This started in Boise ID, Move to Minnesota 3 year ago on a job transfer,
6 months later bulb goes . They replace the bulb again.

A short time later about 1 month before the warranty runs out I get the bulb warning light is going bad on the tv.
Then it stops working all together the next day.

they come out inspect it , order a whole new chassis...which amounts to pretty much everything but the speakers and mirrors and the Case...lol

takes 1 week.... tech gets it running reprograms it it's up and running.

6 months later bulb burns out, I pay for new bulb, replace it

Yesterday 15 months after a whole new chassis i am watching golf and the picture turns green and then off. Red light flashes system shuts off.

I wait and restart it , it sounds like it threw a rod bearing,bang bang bang real fast then it shut down again. I recycled the start and reset pulled the bulb box out,(bypassed the trigger) and i can feel the optical motor banging for a few seconds before it shuts off.
I spent $2500 at Best Buy for this plus the warranty of $350 and cable and etc, $3300 i think was the total. oh and the bulb i bought at $115,

$3415 dived by 5 years = $683 a year, wow and now it needs at least $500-750 in repairs, to last how long? 6 months , a year?

After seeing this many people the same problems i am Amazed they even make DLP TVs at all anymore.

In an automotive world that would be a lemon law buyback by the manufacturer .
I tried the email given back a few pages it did'nt work.

Anyone have aphone number or email that has worked recently for Mitsubishi?

thanks
Gary
post #7105 of 7433 Old 08-03-2010, 04:47 PM

@Gary

So you read this thread? There are stories starting about 5 pages ago. I had mine and had problems with it, called mits, mits replaced Tv with newer one for nominal fee. Call Mitz before fixing... If they send tech out make them pay for it, When tech gets there ask him to right bid for somewhere in the 400-500 dollar range. He knows they are just going to replace it, so he may be willing to. I got mine for $454 I believe. Have them pay shipping and tax or get the upgrade to the 738? or the 838?
post #7106 of 7433 Old 08-04-2010, 01:14 PM

Talked to the rep gave my info said they would help after a tech inspects the tv. Got 2 numbers to call for tech to come out give an estimate and then fax that and my proof of purchase to them. And then they will definelty help me out she said.

I didn't push that i new too much,went over the light staying on the bang bang of the optical engine , it appears. Told her the history and that i never had a tv go bad, let alone have one with this many problems even after they replaced the whole chassis.

We are leaving for vacation so this may have to wait til we get back , but it looks like form what i have seen on this forum they have treated people fairly, although paying any money out of pocket for a 5 year old $3k tv after major repairs is questionable at best.
So are those of you who got help happy ?

How much $$$

What did they do for you???

Thanks for all the help this forum has supplied no matter what happens
Evewn if i do have to solder in new parts....
Gary
post #7107 of 7433 Old 08-04-2010, 01:50 PM

So I got a 65738 with a stand for 650. I think I posted this before but my 65725 had two major issues in the past two years. One was luckily under warranty and the recent was a bad light engine. I have to say, I didn't have to bitch too much before they offered me a deal. It was Mitsubishi will pay for the part and I would have to pay labor. I was looking at about 250 in labor to fix a 6 year old set. I took the new 65738. Mitsubishi worked with my local dealer and they called me and brought it out and I gave them a check. I need to call them and see if I can buy an extended warranty.
post #7108 of 7433 Old 08-04-2010, 04:22 PM

Just thought I'd tell the forum of our experience.

We bought a WD-52725 in 2005 for $2999.99. We replaced the light in 2007 and 2008.
In May of 2009, we experinced the Blinking Green Light of Death, necessitating a no charge chasis replacement from Mitsubishi.

Fast forward to July 2010----the BGLOD again ! Mitsubishi replaced our (2005)52725 with a (2010)60738, and also replaced the stand due to the upgraded size. This was all done at NO CHARGE !!! (exclusive of the $107.00 we paid for the diagnostic service call from an out of town company - which was expected)
No replacement charge, No tax charge, No delivery charge !!!!
And---all within a 3 week time period !

We are happy with Mitsubishi and were very treated fairly.

I note some on the forum have been charged replacement charges, and I wonder why--------we were never even asked to pay anything additional.
post #7109 of 7433 Old 08-05-2010, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbromley View Post

Just thought I would update everyone on my experience with Mits. My WD62725 died a few months after the 5 year warranty expired. As suggested on this site I called Mitsubishi and explained the problem. They had me call a service center, so they could run the diagnostics test on the set, and confirm what I all ready knew.

The test cost me $85 dollars, which compared to some other posts on this thread, didn't seem like too bad a deal.

Once everything was sent in, Mits offered to pay half of the repair cost or let me purchase a 65638 for $500 dollars. I really don't like the silver on the 638 models and find the 738s much more appealing. Now they are sending my request to a review board and I should hear back from them tomorrow. I'll let you know if I get the 738.

I have to admit that with all of the problems everyone seems to be having with the 525, 725, and 825 series, it's hard to believe some lawyer hasn't started a class action lawsuit. Although, I am sure the only ones who would benefit would be the lawyers.

Just a quick update to my previous post. Mitusbishi did give me the 65738, as I had requested. I was able to purchase it at the same place where I bought my 62725. The price ended up being 500.00 plus tax. The store did offer me the extended warrantly, so I purchased that too. If I don't use the warranty during the 5 years, I get half my money back, so I ended up getting the extended warranty too. They also took the old set with them when they dropped the new one off.

Thanks everyone for all the help over the last several years. It has been appreciated.
post #7110 of 7433 Old 08-05-2010, 07:11 AM

@Cljm: WOW! You must have gotten in on this before the flood came this year.

My Story:
March 2005: Purchased 62525 TV, Had Tech out to just adjust TV.
2006-2007: Had same tech out, VGA port was fuzzy, Tech replaced a board
2007-2008: Same tech, Said color wheel bad, Mits had him replace bulb instead
2009: BGLOD, Same Tech, Chasis Rebuild, Out of Tv for 1 month
2010: BGLOD, Same Tech, Out of Warranty, No charge, Estimate for $457 to repair, Mits offered Repair for free, or replacement for $457 for 65737, Got 65837 for same price, Delivered, Enjoy Tv

I really enjoy the new TV, Was suppose to have old one taken, but Tech must have forgotten . Fixed old Tv for $50 (Bad power board), Got a WS-55859 from freecycle, Ordered parts for it for $14.67 (10 Compacitors + Shiping). Replaced 7 Compacitors and everything works! So now I have 1 65" DLP, 1 62" DLP, and 1 55" Rear Projection TV, all capable of at least 1080I HDTv, For a total of $515 (This Year).... Total would be $3515 or so...
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page