Mitsubishi WD XX725 owners thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 7433 Old 09-21-2004, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
bgriffis: I think buried somewhere in the "2004-2005 Mitsubishi DLP's!" megathread is a picture of a setup with a center channel balancing precariously on top of a xx525. The poster was asked about it and he said it is no problem because he doesn't have kids to knock it around.

I do have a kid that will knock it around, so I plan on cutting a wedge out of a styrofoam packing block and securing it by velcro to the back of the tv as a support for the center channel. Won't get my 62725 to try it out until October, though.

The stand is so low to the ground that it seems the center channel would be too low and removed from the screen there. Any comment from owners?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 7433 Old 09-21-2004, 10:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 27
2left: Sounds like a very good, and workable, solution.

By the way: what height stand are people using with their Mits 62" dlp. As I calculate it, if one wants the mid-point of the screen to be at eye level (38 to 40" from the floor), the stand should be only 14 to 15" high. Is that right?
post #93 of 7433 Old 09-21-2004, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

The matching stand for my 52" 525 is around 15" high.
post #94 of 7433 Old 09-21-2004, 10:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

So the stand for a 62" model should be even lower, right?
post #95 of 7433 Old 09-21-2004, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by millerwill
So the stand for a 62" model should be even lower, right?

I suspect it's exactly the same. Would seem to me that viewing height depends on things like how far back you'll be seated and at what height. The angles will matter more than an absolute measurement of height. No?

DC

DC
-----
Every post is IMHO, AFAIK, YMMV :)
post #96 of 7433 Old 09-21-2004, 11:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

DCinDC: Sure, if one sits far enough back the precise height will matter less--it is the viewing angle that matters, as you say. Still, one may not wish to sit so far back, and my understanding is that the optimum height is for the center of the screen (vertically) to be at eye level.
post #97 of 7433 Old 09-21-2004, 11:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

On stand height for the 62" Mits:

I calculate that the vertical midpoint of the 62" set is 26.4" from the bottom of the set, so that a stand height of 12.5" would put the midpoint at 39" above the floor. This is consistent with UMD Terp's comment above that the Mits stand for the 52" set is 15" high: for assuming that the speaker dimension is the same for the 52" and 62", the midpoint of the 62" will be 2.5" higher than that of the 52", meaning that the stand for the 62" should be 2.5" lower (and 15" - 2.5" = 12.5").
post #98 of 7433 Old 09-21-2004, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Just took the leap and purchased a 62525 today at BB. Got 10% off with their current promotion. Delivery is tomorrow. This will be replacing a WS-65807 that is 5 years old. I'm donating it to my nephew.
post #99 of 7433 Old 09-21-2004, 01:44 PM

52725 delivered and setup from Ultimate Electronics on Friday.

Unit has the 1/2" ccw tilt others have observed on xx525. I called UE Sat, they were going to talk to Mits rep and get back to me. Spoke to UE today, and they said there was an issue with mirror getting displaced due to change of shipment packaging. Instructed me to "twist" the cabinet and mirror should drop in place. He said Mits rep demonstrated the same technique with in-store display units they just set up. Will try this tonight when I get home; I've read in other threads about "twisting" the display. This kind of fix doesn't give me a warm feeling...

I'm driving this mostly with HD DirecTivo unit via HDMI @ 1080i. I've noticed that after shutting off the TV at night and then turning on in the morning that the only way I can get the TV to display is by cycling through the different formats of the HDTivo. Maybe this is discussed in other threads related to the HDTivo unit - been reading too many other posts lately to remember.
post #100 of 7433 Old 09-21-2004, 02:59 PM

millerwill: I hope an actual owner will post the accurate height, but when I did a "quick and dirty" measurement with a ruler several weeks ago, I came out with 13-3/4" as the height for 62" stand. I ordered the stand because its lines match perfectly with the tv, it needs to be pretty low, and it was surprisingly reasonable in price.

btw - when estimating the center point of the screen, I think the speakers on the bottom of the tv set need to be considered. I think the center point of the screen sits higher than 26.4". Again - any acual owners?
post #101 of 7433 Old 09-21-2004, 03:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

2left: Thanks for the post. Yes, I too am hoping that some persons who already have a 62525 (which is the same dimensions as the 62725 I believe) will chime in with actual measurements.
post #102 of 7433 Old 09-21-2004, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
1) What is the AVIA disk for color alignment? Where do you get? How important do you think it is to setting the TV properly.

hyperdoc,

AVIA is a calibration disc used to calibrate both video and audio. There is also the DVE (Digital Video Essentials) disc as well. Both help in adjusting your set to NTSC standards. In my opinion having either one of these discs is an essential part of a home theater setup. I try and recalibrate my audio and video setups monthly.

They can be purchased online at various places and at amazon.com. Since I just broke my AVIA disk this afternoon I ordered DVE from Onecall.com. It will be here Friday.
post #103 of 7433 Old 09-21-2004, 08:52 PM

How wide is the shelf on the Mitsu stand? Can you get two components side by side? At least 35" wide?

FL
post #104 of 7433 Old 09-22-2004, 09:37 AM

No you can only fit one component wide.

Thanks Kevin Barduca (A-1)
post #105 of 7433 Old 09-22-2004, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

One hour and 38 minutes until my 62525 arrives!
post #106 of 7433 Old 09-22-2004, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I cant wait to get an idea of others calibration settings as you get your sets. I have been playing since saturday with them and keep going back abd forth on the seperate color settings. I think I am going back to all the defaults for now.
post #107 of 7433 Old 09-22-2004, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
i had a 52725 on order but now it's been cancelled for reasons i'm still not sure about. so now i'm left shopping again. thinking of the panasonic 50 incher. i don't need the cable card option or the built in tuner. anyone want to convince me to stick with the mits?
post #108 of 7433 Old 09-22-2004, 12:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:

Originally posted by scott brown
i had a 52725 on order but now it's been cancelled for reasons i'm still not sure about.

Which dealer cancelled your order?

post #109 of 7433 Old 09-22-2004, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Received my 62525 at 3 PM. I just ordered it yesterday afternoon! Pretty good service from Best Buy, I must admit. I've spent the last 3 hours trying to figure it out. I finally got the demonstration thing off the screen everytime I turned it on, providing I could get IT TURNED ON! Just parked myself in the toilet, together with the manual and discovered the "remove the glare screen" page, and promptly took a credit card and ripped it off. much better picturenow. But I'll have to wait until tonight to see 720p HD for my first time. my initial reaction is the picture is on par with the WS65807 I am giving my nephew. Stay tuned for more.
post #110 of 7433 Old 09-22-2004, 04:53 PM

Quote:

i had a 52725 on order but now it's been cancelled for reasons i'm still not sure about. so now i'm left shopping again. thinking of the panasonic 50 incher. i don't need the cable card option or the built in tuner. anyone want to convince me to stick with the mits?

I work at a local retail store in the New Orleans area. I have the mitsu, toshiba dlp, panasonic and sony on are sales floor. BY FAR the mitsu beats everybody hands down. The detail, contrast and accurate reds. Hope you choose the mitsu, it is worth the wait.

Thanks Kevin Barduca (A-1)
post #111 of 7433 Old 09-22-2004, 05:04 PM

I'm looking for a little advice from all of you Mits owners. I have had tunnel vision for the past month, waiting for the Samsung hlp 5674 to be released. I have 51 inches of space to fit my next tv and the 5674 is 50 inches. I have expanded my vision and noticed all the rave reviews with the Mits. The WD 52725 is 50 inches in width so it would work out perfect in my space. Here are my questions.

1) Is this tv a CRT DLP? and is that different than the samsung dlp?

2) Will playstation work better with the Mits? (all i've read is that it sucks on a samsung)

3) what happens to the PQ when the anti glare screen is removed?

4) is there a possibility of burn-in?

I know that one drawback is that there is no DVI slot, and I use Direct tv with an hd tivo receiver. Hopefully i can connect my dvd to the hdmi and the tivo to component and still have great pq with both. Thanks for all of your input.
Garrett
post #112 of 7433 Old 09-22-2004, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
just saw the panasonic next to a mits and i didn't think the mits killed it. i saved athousand bucks and got the panasonic. it'll be delivered friday
post #113 of 7433 Old 09-22-2004, 05:58 PM

Quote:

just saw the panasonic next to a mits and i didn't think the mits killed it. i saved athousand bucks and got the panasonic. it'll be delivered friday

Scott- Congrats on the Panny. Now maybe we can have our thread back and get back to the regularly scheduled programming!

Are any of the Forum Sponsors Mits Dealers?

I am stuck way out in the middle of nowhere and my only local Mits guy wont deal below retail on what he calls a "Special Order!" I want the 62725 now I just have to figure out where to buy it. If anyone has a dealer in AZ, NV or CA who has dealt or will deal please PM me.

Thank you,

Gypsy

Enjoying the civilian life, HOOAH!
post #114 of 7433 Old 09-22-2004, 06:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:

Originally posted by GHorne
1) Is this tv a CRT DLP? and is that different than the samsung dlp?

DLP is a micro chip display. There are no CRT tubes involved. Both Samsung and Mitsubishi also make CRT based RPTV sets.

3) what happens to the PQ when the anti glare screen is removed?

The 525 screen is protection only. The 725 screen reduces reflections from direct and ambient light but does not eliminate it.

Once either protective screen is removed the set looks like the Panasonic and Samsung screens. You can't see any reflections and a bright light will just make part of the screen a bit lighter than it does if you turn off the light.

Removing the screen is not difficult if you follow the instructions in the user's manual. The down side is that the screen can be damaged and the front of the set is not as attractive with out the screen. Mitsubishi is supposed to be coming out with a kit to improve the looks of a set with the screen removed.

4) is there a possibility of burn-in?

No.

I know that one drawback is that there is no DVI slot,

There is a HDMI connection which is the same thing only it can do more things. There are cables with DVI on one end and HDMI on the other for situations where the input device is DVI and the TV is HDMI.

post #115 of 7433 Old 09-22-2004, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Scott Brown

I actually had a Panny PT52DL52 and it was a nightmare. After 6 months of pain Panny actually did the right thing and returned my money. It flickered, wouldn't start after 2-3 months and swore I would never buy another one. Panny new it was a lemon and hope they fixed these problems in this next generation. Notice the had LCD's last year. I wouldnt own one and think you are making a huge mistake.

But good luck anyway! Its not too late to change your mind....
post #116 of 7433 Old 09-22-2004, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Could someone please post a pic of their computer desktop displayed with a 1280x720p@60hz through HDMI/DVO or VGA on one of these sets? Or their internet browser maximized?

I want to see how much overscan there is.

Thanks!

Low Roller
post #117 of 7433 Old 09-22-2004, 07:51 PM

UE from Woodbury MN. delivered our new, September manuf., 52725 yesterday and all I can say is that it was worth the waiting and reading of the forums. I had already purchased the stand and was just waiting to get the word that they started shipping.
The delivery guys were very helpful when they looked at my "rats nest" in back of the tv and asked if I wanted them to connect it up. They even knew by looking at the mess how all the stuff was running from the Denon reciever. They seemed to enjoy the challenge. And I relented and said YES.
The SW version of the set is ....... V26 004.02
I have not seen any "tilt" issue at all, so that must have gotten fixed with the XX725.
I have noticed that the PQ on local digital is better with the Dish-811 than with the 725's tuner. I still have what seems to be a very dark picture, but this may be fixed with a good calibration. I plan to have that done shortly.
The screen reflectivity issue seems what I expected, and am pleased with the results.
I think the remote that comes with the TV is just adaquate. It has the ability to turn on components, but not to tweak the major settings for them. Maybe I need to study the manual more and get to the meat of the settings.
Keep this forum going, as I have had a great time reading and learning from the "Pro's"
Will keep posting as more experiences happen.
Lyle
post #118 of 7433 Old 09-22-2004, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
err...I meant 1280x720....thanks

I edited my post above
post #119 of 7433 Old 09-22-2004, 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by parlyle
UE from Woodbury MN. delivered our new, September manuf., 52725 yesterday and all I can say is that it was worth the waiting and reading of the forums. I had already purchased the stand and was just waiting to get the word that they started shipping.
The delivery guys were very helpful when they looked at my "rats nest" in back of the tv and asked if I wanted them to connect it up. They even knew by looking at the mess how all the stuff was running from the Denon reciever. They seemed to enjoy the challenge. And I relented and said YES.
The SW version of the set is ....... V26 004.02
I have not seen any "tilt" issue at all, so that must have gotten fixed with the XX725.
I have noticed that the PQ on local digital is better with the Dish-811 than with the 725's tuner. I still have what seems to be a very dark picture, but this may be fixed with a good calibration. I plan to have that done shortly.
The screen reflectivity issue seems what I expected, and am pleased with the results.
I think the remote that comes with the TV is just adaquate. It has the ability to turn on components, but not to tweak the major settings for them. Maybe I need to study the manual more and get to the meat of the settings.
Keep this forum going, as I have had a great time reading and learning from the "Pro's"
Will keep posting as more experiences happen.
Lyle

I checked out the 52725 today at UE and ended up buying one myself. I was quite pleased with the PQ and minimal glare. If only they would build a decent stand for it, I'd be a happy camper. BTW, I also bought UE's extended warranty that now actually covers the bulb replacement. Sales guy said they changed their policy a couple weeks ago. It was news to me.

MELONHEAD
post #120 of 7433 Old 09-22-2004, 09:21 PM

htwaits - As we used to say in the Navy "Bravo Zulu". Nice to see that someone with your experience is willing to answer even the most basic questions. Probably takes you not much more time than those who type something in that winds up with, "go search for it." Even though it was not my question, thanks!

Kim Viner
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page