Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 4091 Old 09-27-2004, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here's a conjecture about the GWIII compared to the GWIV:

This is a guess that we should try to confirm:

I bet the KF-50WE610 and KDF-50WE655 have similar PQ.
But, the KDF-55WF655 will likely have some improvements in PQ. At least we know the screen size is 55" vs. 50".
The KDF-55WF655 should be at Sears byOct. 4 according to some previous postings.

Does anyone have any first hand experience to confirm or refute the information above? Or do you have any additional information? Any information is appreciated!

Alan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 4091 Old 09-27-2004, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I don't kow that anyone has presented any reliable information that would suggest PQ differences between the WE655 and WF655...although I believe the XS models are expected to be more in line with the current XBR series.
post #93 of 4091 Old 09-27-2004, 01:08 PM

TH3,

This might be true, but with a 132W lamp vs the older 100w, I think you'd see a definite difference in brightness and maybe contrast between the older 60WE610 and the new 60WF655 set. Wouldn't you agree? Also, the WF series will have the power saver low light setting for night time viewing that could yield better blacks, maybe, well I'm hoping anyway.

Jeff
post #94 of 4091 Old 09-27-2004, 01:11 PM

I stopped by my local Sears in Torrance, CA yesterday... they have a Sony KDF-50WE655 on display, priced at the MSRP.

I asked a salesperson for some info like, what's the major difference between the new model and the older 610 model besides HDMI and a built in HD tuner.

He had to stop a manager for an answer and the manager said... "no difference between the 2 models except "cosmetics" and the new model still didn't have a HD tuner built in."

...and with an answer like that I said thank you very much for your time and got the hell out of there

Why can't these people just say the don't know the new details and specs yet but I'd be happy to find out and let you know... or something like that.

Otherwise, the 50WE655 looked pretty good, the cabinet is all silver and looks very clean... I couldn't tell about the PQ because they have an awful HD source and nodoby could figure out how to switch to a SD source.

Oh Well

2 weeks ago I was going to buy the 50WE610 from Sears because of a great sales price and no interest/no payments/no deferred interest thru Sears but the salesperson told me they had none left in stock and couldn't get anymore. I asked if I could order it online still because before going to the store I checked online and Sears still had them listed. He told me no because their inventory and the online inventory are the same so if he can't get one then I can't get one online. Well, 2 weeks later and Sears still shows the 50WE610 online at a discounted price. Does that mean I should be able to order online or was the salesperson actually right (which would be a first) and no stock for him means no online stock as well?

sorry about the long questions and such but I've been researching for a new TV for months now... thought about the 50WE610 and then the HLP 50 Sammy, then the JVC 52 DILA... and I finally found this forum! This forum is great but the more I read and answer some questions the more new doubts and issues I find with certain models, etc...

So, thanks to all of you that take the time to research, test, compare, and post your reviews and experiences. It's been very helpful!

Baddog
post #95 of 4091 Old 09-27-2004, 01:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I saw 42655 at sonystyle store, believe me, for whatever PQ looked better than XBR955 60 inch, right next to it?

Why

Bright, better contrast, less SDE, because of size? dont know?

But I want XS series
post #96 of 4091 Old 09-27-2004, 01:55 PM

huh?
post #97 of 4091 Old 09-27-2004, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by zoro
I saw 42655 at sonystyle store, believe me, for whatever PQ looked better than XBR955 60 inch, right next to it?

Why

Bright, better contrast, less SDE, because of size? dont know?

Yes, because of size.
post #98 of 4091 Old 09-27-2004, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The lamp might make some difference...especially in the larger set, but my 42WE655 is way bright with the smaller bulb. I've got the brightness set around 35% and it's plenty. Could even be bumped down in dark viewing conditions so the "power saver" thing could be useful.

Quote:

Originally posted by JeffZX9R
TH3,

This might be true, but with a 132W lamp vs the older 100w, I think you'd see a definite difference in brightness and maybe contrast between the older 60WE610 and the new 60WF655 set. Wouldn't you agree? Also, the WF series will have the power saver low light setting for night time viewing that could yield better blacks, maybe, well I'm hoping anyway.

Jeff

post #99 of 4091 Old 09-28-2004, 11:59 AM

Someone explain the built-in HDTV Tuner to me please. I want to see if buying the new model isworth it over the older model.

I have Adelphia cable and will get their HDTV package. The package comes with 8 channels:

CBS HDTV
NBC HDTV
FOX HDTV
ABC HDTV
Showtime HDTV
HBO HDTV
Discovery HDTV
ESPN HDTV

By having the HDTV tuner built-in the new Sony TV's, will I be able to get more channels? Do I still need to add an antenna to get reception through the built-in tuner? I am in Los Angeles at the moment and do have some tall buildings around me. I wonder if this will cause a problem with reception.

Please help. Thanks!
post #100 of 4091 Old 09-28-2004, 02:32 PM

Just pre-ordered my 55WF655 using the Agoraquest.com groupbuy. Got 10% off, no shipping, no tax from ABT Electronics... Haven't heard a delivery date yet... I just hope Sony ships these suckers soon! And praying to the RPTV Gods for no lamp problems!
post #101 of 4091 Old 09-28-2004, 03:17 PM

marcelval,

How reliable is Agoraquest.com?
post #102 of 4091 Old 09-28-2004, 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by marcelval
Just pre-ordered my 55WF655 using the Agoraquest.com groupbuy. Got 10% off, no shipping, no tax from ABT Electronics... Haven't heard a delivery date yet... I just hope Sony ships these suckers soon! And praying to the RPTV Gods for no lamp problems!

Thanks for the link, was debating between this tv and the 50" hitachi 810.

5" bigger screen with less SSE(hopefully), for $700 less including white glove delivery, sorry hitachi
post #103 of 4091 Old 09-28-2004, 06:50 PM

hdiesel, This is the first time I am ordering anything through that site. Agoraquest is a "Sony enthusiast" site with forums, reviews, etc. The groupbuys are done through ABT Electronics which has a store in Chicago, and sells over the internet. ABT has a very good rating on Bizrate (96% positive with over 25,000 ratings). The discount (10%) is no better than what you can get at BB or CC, but since they don't charge sales tax (to most states) it's another 8.25% (California) off! Also they give free white glove shipping which is a great deal, and seem to have a good return policy.

When the deal goes through and I receive the TV I'll post my experience...
post #104 of 4091 Old 09-28-2004, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Go to antennaweb.com and use the antenna selector. You will provide your address and answer a few questions and it will return a list of DTV stations broadcasting in your area. These are what you can reasonable expect to get with an OTA antenna and the integrated tuner. Looks like your cable company has a decent line-up already with the 4 major networks. Here in Norfolk Cox only has CBS-HD plus the other cable-only channels so the OTA DTV is great for me...I get all 4 major networks plus WB, UPN, and PBS. Now because the GWIV has a built-in tuner AND cablecard slot you could not bother renting the STB from the cable company and get a cablecard instead...save $10-15/month. The cable card provides all the information the Sony needs to decode whatever channels you subscribe to from cable. However, first-generation carbecards are only on-way communication so you lose any interactive program guide and pay-per-view/On-Demand features that you would otherwise have with a STB from the cable company.

Quote:

Originally posted by km23
Someone explain the built-in HDTV Tuner to me please. I want to see if buying the new model isworth it over the older model.

I have Adelphia cable and will get their HDTV package. The package comes with 8 channels:

CBS HDTV
NBC HDTV
FOX HDTV
ABC HDTV
Showtime HDTV
HBO HDTV
Discovery HDTV
ESPN HDTV

By having the HDTV tuner built-in the new Sony TV's, will I be able to get more channels? Do I still need to add an antenna to get reception through the built-in tuner? I am in Los Angeles at the moment and do have some tall buildings around me. I wonder if this will cause a problem with reception.

Please help. Thanks!

post #105 of 4091 Old 09-28-2004, 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by marcelval
hdiesel, This is the first time I am ordering anything through that site. Agoraquest is a "Sony enthusiast" site with forums, reviews, etc. The groupbuys are done through ABT Electronics which has a store in Chicago, and sells over the internet. ABT has a very good rating on Bizrate (96% positive with over 25,000 ratings). The discount (10%) is no better than what you can get at BB or CC, but since they don't charge sales tax (to most states) it's another 8.25% (California) off! Also they give free white glove shipping which is a great deal, and seem to have a good return policy.

When the deal goes through and I receive the TV I'll post my experience...

Abt is one of the more respected places around here. If it weren't for the tax being tacked on I'd probably jump on the deal. Since these are just being released you probably won't find much better with white glove shipping free. Since it is a reputable place at a good price it isn't a bad way to go.
Now if anyone finds a place that has the 50we655 or the 55xs955 from a reputable authorized dealer at as good or better price for us IL folks let me know.
Also, who sets up power buys on this site. Seems to me that with all the interest here we'd probably be able to get a better deal through someone they've used in the past like TV Authority. Any chances on this?

Thanks!
post #106 of 4091 Old 09-28-2004, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I ordered my 40XBR800 from Shopsunshine.com last year and had great service. Their prices are very good and they are indeed an authorized Sony dealer...I called Sony to confirm and even used my warranty coverage to have the set replaced with my new 42WE655 when the tube went bad. They have a very good feedback rating on eBay if you want to read up on their service.
post #107 of 4091 Old 09-28-2004, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm sorry to report that UMR's tweaks can not be applied to the GWIV WE655. I sat down to run through the whole process as described in the "UMR does GWIII" thread and when I got to the service menu I found that none of the categories are the same. Even worse, almost none of the items under any of the categories match the ones that UMR adjusted in the GWII/III. the only item I could find was SHOF (under 2 categories) with a factory setting of 0. I tried different input types and formats to see if the categories would change based on format but they remained the same. My 42WE655 has 34 categories as follows:

TELETEXT
MSP SIZE
MSPMO
MSPSEL
MSPFNC
MSP3714G
CCPS 1
CCPS 2
CCPS 3
CCPS 4
CCPS 5
CCPS 6
CCPS 7
CCPS 8
CCPS 10 (CORRECT..."CCPS 9" DOES NOT EXIST)
CCPS 11
DELAY 1
DELAY 2
OSD
CC M
CC S
CC T
ID
OPB GA
OP GA
OP VS
VERSION
CXA2209Q
AP
DLBY
BUSSW
CXA2103
CXA2163
2D COMB

I guess we're out of luck as far as SM tweaks go until someone translates the new categories/items. I think I remember UMR saying something about the new GWIV service manual he has being rather useless and mentioning that tweaking the GW may be over as we know it. I hope he's wrong...I'm not completely satisfied with my UM adjustments.
post #108 of 4091 Old 09-29-2004, 12:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 189
TH3_FRB

You're making the presumption that the new sets need the same tweaks. It may not.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #109 of 4091 Old 09-29-2004, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Not a presumption at all...I've owned the set for over a week now and it certainly needs tweaks IMHO. I have optimized the user menu settings and I'm not satisfied with the PQ. You'll see my review earlier in this thread...my 2 main issues still stand...soft picture and bright blacks that lack detail. I can live withit for now but only because my plan has alwasy been to replace this set with a Tosh DLP after the holidays. If I had bought this set to be my permanent display I'd probably not keep it. The picture is nice and it handles SD very well, but lacks impact with all material in general.

Quote:

Originally posted by JimP
TH3_FRB

You're making the presumption that the new sets need the same tweaks. It may not.

post #110 of 4091 Old 09-29-2004, 06:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 189
What I'm trying to get across is that what you are seeing may not be the same as what UMR was correcting with the GWIII. Therefore, his tweaks may not crossover to your set. Not that it doesn't need some tweaking, just that they may need to be different tweaks.

On the GWIII that I have, I never could get the kind of look out of pro mode that I think you're also looking for. Looked flat with no punch.

What I wound up doing, was using Vivid mode with neutral color temperature. Still had to use Avia and DVE to adjust user settings. In addition to this, I did change a setting in the service menu that affects how blacks are affected (in terms of crushing/enhancing the last few blocks)
That setting is what give me more detail in the shadows. I'll dig around and see if I can find what it was and PM you with it.

Try Vivid mode on neutral color temp as your starting point and see if that doesn't work better for you.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #111 of 4091 Old 09-29-2004, 01:15 PM

Does anyone know about PCmall.com? They seem to have a pretty good price on the WF and XS.
post #112 of 4091 Old 09-29-2004, 08:21 PM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally posted by TH3_FRB
I'm sorry to report that UMR's tweaks can not be applied to the GWIV WE655. I sat down to run through the whole process as described in the "UMR does GWIII" thread and when I got to the service menu I found that none of the categories are the same. Even worse, almost none of the items under any of the categories match the ones that UMR adjusted in the GWII/III. the only item I could find was SHOF (under 2 categories) with a factory setting of 0. I tried different input types and formats to see if the categories would change based on format but they remained the same. My 42WE655 has 34 categories as follows:

TELETEXT
MSP SIZE
MSPMO
MSPSEL
MSPFNC
MSP3714G
CCPS 1
CCPS 2
CCPS 3
CCPS 4
CCPS 5
CCPS 6
CCPS 7
CCPS 8
CCPS 10 (CORRECT..."CCPS 9" DOES NOT EXIST)
CCPS 11
DELAY 1
DELAY 2
OSD
CC M
CC S
CC T
ID
OPB GA
OP GA
OP VS
VERSION
CXA2209Q
AP
DLBY
BUSSW
CXA2103
CXA2163
2D COMB

I guess we're out of luck as far as SM tweaks go until someone translates the new categories/items. I think I remember UMR saying something about the new GWIV service manual he has being rather useless and mentioning that tweaking the GW may be over as we know it. I hope he's wrong...I'm not completely satisfied with my UM adjustments.

That list does look totally different. I did get a copy of the service manual and it is worthless with respect to listing the codes. Reading the manual it looks like Sony moving toward eliminating tweaking the service menu. That is a shame unless the sets are setup properly from the factory.
post #113 of 4091 Old 09-29-2004, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Do you think the XS will be any better at being able to tweak or adjust PQ?

2 Definitive Technology ST-L Fronts, CS-8080HD center channel, Gem XL rears, SuperCube 8000 subwoofer, Marantz SR-7008 , and Sony KDL-55w900a
post #114 of 4091 Old 09-29-2004, 09:55 PM

Sorry for the lame ? Is the KDF-42WE655 a GW III or IV??
post #115 of 4091 Old 09-30-2004, 04:21 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally posted by papaduxx
Do you think the XS will be any better at being able to tweak or adjust PQ?

Don't know yet. There is no service manual available for that set at this time.
post #116 of 4091 Old 09-30-2004, 04:21 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally posted by indianajns
Sorry for the lame ? Is the KDF-42WE655 a GW III or IV??

IV
post #117 of 4091 Old 09-30-2004, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If true, that would imply that professional calibration will no longer be possible on newer sets either...unless there is some method I'm not aware of to tweak settings o otherwise adjust picture properties. Seems like a bad move by Sony.

Quote:
Originally posted by umr
That list does look totally different. I did get a copy of the service manual and it is worthless with respect to listing the codes. Reading the manual it looks like Sony moving toward eliminating tweaking the service menu. That is a shame unless the sets are setup properly from the factory.

post #118 of 4091 Old 10-02-2004, 11:59 AM

Just got the 42WE655!!!

I dont have the cable to hook up my camera to the computer right now but, when I do ill try to upload the pictures.

Out of the box i was pretty dissapointed by the 1080i pictures with my OTA antenna. But im actually kind of surprised I got so many digital channels, now i just need a better antenna to get a sharper picture. I was VERY impressed by the 720p picture from our local public station KOCE or something like that. I dont get good CBS reception but the college footbal game for some reason is broadcasted in 4:3 1080i? It says 16:9 but its a 4:3 picture.

Only problem with delivery is theres a scratch on it so im going to exchange it for another one cant really complain for the price i got it ^_^

Are there any tweaks out right now? Im going to exchange this set so i want to do some tinkering ^_^
post #119 of 4091 Old 10-02-2004, 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by xlent
Just got the 42WE655!!!

But im actually kind of surprised I got so many digital channels, now i just need a better antenna to get a sharper picture.

Another antenna won't give you a sharper picture on digital stations. It might help with dropouts or pixelization.

Dick
post #120 of 4091 Old 10-02-2004, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Correct. If the tuner locks in then that's as good as the picture gets...as far as reception goes anyway. Start by running through the THX optimizer on any THX-certified DVD to set the picture and balance properly. I actually ended up with my picture setting maxed out and brighntess around 25-30. I actually prefer the standard mode opposed to vivid or pro. Pro is too soft and gloomy and vivid is too enhanced overall. You need to be sure you know what type of material you're looking at. 4:3 1080i is that standard format for OTA DTV broadcasts of unconverted 4:3 material...I call it pseudo-hidef because it's really SD. 720p is the real deal as is any 1080i that is in full 16:9 aspect (not talking about added sidebars like ESPN often does on the ESPN-HD channel when they show SD stuff. Also, all stations are ot created equal and individual shows on each may vary considerably. Mu local Fox station has brand new state of the art gear while several of the other locals that got into the HD/DTV game early still have their original equipment from 4-5 years back.

Quote:

Originally posted by Dick Kalagher
Another antenna won't give you a sharper picture on digital stations. It might help with dropouts or pixelization.

Dick

Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page