GWIV owner thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 4091 Old 10-06-2004, 07:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes - I just got around to it. I had previously ordered a new hdmi cable and was waiting for it to arrive so I could use one of the other 2 component Monster Cables I own. The hdmi cable arrived when I got home from work, and I swapped them out.

The Red Menace is now banished forever (and Star Wars Episode IV looks incredible.)

Thank you for the suggestion - keep 'em comming.

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 4091 Old 10-06-2004, 09:20 PM

glad it was just the cables... strange... i think monster cables are all snake oil, but i never thought that they built something of LESSER quality than the off brands. glad i build all mine out of canare rg6 now!
post #183 of 4091 Old 10-06-2004, 09:33 PM

For those who are interested, I measured the size of the base of the 55WF655. It is approx. 39-1/4" wide and 18" deep. A 40" wide stand would certainly work.

After installing the set, yesterday, we connected the cable line. The set took about 50 minutes (!) to scan the cable and find all of the analog and digital channels. At each digital channel, it must pause for a period of time and collect MPEG PID (program ID) values. It has then populated the channel table and those analog and digital channels are available.

The primary digital feed for some of tha local OTA channels (NBC/CBS/FOX/PBS) are available on the cable. I don't know why ABC is not included? (or maybe I just haven't found it yet.) There is also a number of other digital channels which I have found, including several HBO channels. (Although someone told me today that he had seen advertisements that HBO was free only this week as a promotion, so I don't know if this is permanent.) I do not yet have the CableCARD, and have not purchased the digital package from Comcast, so there is some number of digital channels which are available with the basic cable package. The digital channels appear at various places in the spectrum. The lowest is channel 15, the highest channel 115. So, this is good news that you can get some digital channels, without paying an additional digital cable package.

The set also found numerous digital audio channels. This is nice, but I don't think I will waste my bulb life on listening to music. What is really needed here is a way to turn off the bulb, while still outputing the audio.
That is certainly technically possible since everything in electronics today is controlled by software. Maybe there is a secret remote control sequence for turning off the bulb??

I also tried last night hooking up a small antenna to try and receiving the OTA channels. I had some success with this, but because some of the OTA channels are already on cable, and there is a learning curve with this television, I haven't messed with that again.

I am very happy with the PQ. The NTSC PQ is very good. I haven't noticed any visible problems that I could attribute to the set. The NTSC quality has much more to do with the quality of the signal your cable company provides -- this can be highly variable.

The SD PQ is also very good. The display is consistent. Any quality issues here depend much more upon the quality of the compression source.

The HD PQ appears to be excellent. The Tonight Show looks superb in HD.

The display is bright. Colors seem lifelike. The off axis viewing is also very good. The room we have this in has southern exposure. I feel like the brightness of the set will be suffcient, even when the room is bathed in sunlight. I experimented a bit last night with the power saving mode, but couldn't detect any visible difference. I suspect that I will run in power saving mode most of the time. I haven't noticed any issues with the black level, but I don't necessarily have the golden eyes to comment.

My only nitpick about the set so far have to do with i.) remote control is too small, with many tiny buttons, placement of channel and volume controls is awkward. ii.) needs an easier way to turn closed captioning on and off. (We have two small kids and they seem to make noise during important dialog. With CC, we can read the dialog the kids have obscured.) iii.) Remote control seems weak and has to be aimed carefully at the set (or I need new batteries!)

I was a bit nervous buying it without ever seeing one in the store. But at this point we are tickled with everything about this set.
post #184 of 4091 Old 10-06-2004, 11:36 PM

I'd have the agree the remote does feel poor. I have to aim it at the television to actually get it to pick up sometimes. Guess it gives me agood reason to get a JP1 enabled remote ^_^
post #185 of 4091 Old 10-07-2004, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've read about more then a few folks having picture problems with Monster Cable components. Don't waste your cash. Glad you got it figured out though.

Quote:
Originally posted by rmullin
Forget the "Red Push" issue.

I replaced the Monster Cable component cables with others to my DVD player, and the picture is excellent now. Guess it was just some defective cables.

post #186 of 4091 Old 10-07-2004, 05:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What are some other brands of cables out there (in the B&M stores) I can buy instead of Monster. I've had my share of problems with Monster Cables, but they seem to be the only brand I can find (at CC & BB anyway).
Thanks,
Tim
post #187 of 4091 Old 10-07-2004, 06:23 AM

BB also carries Acoustic Research cables (AR) that are really very good and about 1/3 to 1/4 the price of the Monsters. I started off with Monster and am now using A/R. I had a hard time justifying spending more money for cables to hook up my DVD player than the DVD player was worth, especially w/o seeing any noticeable picture difference.
post #188 of 4091 Old 10-07-2004, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've been using a few sets that I found at Lowes (yes, the home improvement store). They are very well built and appear to be a quality cable believe it or not...and a 1m set runs about $18. If you MUST have a name brand I'd try AR as suggested above.

Quote:

Originally posted by timick1
What are some other brands of cables out there (in the B&M stores) I can buy instead of Monster. I've had my share of problems with Monster Cables, but they seem to be the only brand I can find (at CC & BB anyway).
Thanks,
Tim

post #189 of 4091 Old 10-07-2004, 07:41 AM

I wont wast time with the AR cables from BB. Go to ac4l dot com. They have the better AR PROII cables and it's also cheaper.

BTW, can someone help me out with my trapezoidal issues? For those that have the 55 GWIV, can you measure the width of the top and bottom portion of your sidebars? Mine is 1/4 inch wider on top. Do I risk returning the set and getting one with a dead pixel?
post #190 of 4091 Old 10-07-2004, 07:44 AM

Got my 42 on Tuesday & I love it. BB had it on the floor to look at & that persuaded my brother and I to get it (His is being delivered today.)
Was more than I wanted to spend on a TV, but it was worth it. 55 is nice obviosly, but didn't want to spend 1k more.
Anyway, everything is great - blacks, brightness, color, DVDs, HD, audio!

Here's a pic of my new TV & new stand.
LL
post #191 of 4091 Old 10-07-2004, 08:33 AM

wayde,
Nice tv! Do you have any info on that stand?(dimensions, model, price).
Where did you get it?

Thanks
post #192 of 4091 Old 10-07-2004, 08:47 AM

Thanks. We bought the TV and the stands at Best Buy (we both thought this stand looked the best for the price). I can't remember the brand off the top of my head but I will look when I get home tonight.
If you have a BB nearby I would recommend walking through to see if it's at your location. Originally, the guy told us that stand was discontinued... but he went in the back to check and there were 3 left - we took 2 of em.

Stands are freakin expensive - the Sony stand was 499 - this one was 299 which was still alot but since we were buying 2 they gave us a deal on them.

Which tv do you have?
post #193 of 4091 Old 10-07-2004, 09:49 AM

I just purchased the 55WF655 on Tuesday, and it gets delivered on Sunday. I ordered a stand but it only has one shelf and the one you have looks like it has similar dimensions as the stand I purchased. I hear you on the Sony stands, the are pretty expensive.

Now that you mentioned best buy, I think that I saw that stand there about 2 weeks ago and liked the price and style, however when I went back yesterday, the display set was gone, so I figured they were out. I guess I might try some of the others in town. If you get a chance could you please PM me the model # info, that way I can call around knowing what I'm looking for and save gas. And Thanks for the reply.
post #194 of 4091 Old 10-07-2004, 10:14 AM

Would someone who has a 55WF655 please let me know the depth of the top of the screen when they get a chance? I have a center channel speaker that is 5 3/4" deep, and I'm wondering if it will fit. Thanks!
post #195 of 4091 Old 10-07-2004, 10:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 17
sony stands are way too, over priced
post #196 of 4091 Old 10-07-2004, 10:48 AM

See if Tech Craft ( www.techcraft.net ) has what you need. They make the stands for the WE610 series. These are their SWE42, SWE50, and SWE600 models. You should ask them about stands for the new WF655 models. Tech Craft stands are availalbe online and places like Sears. Check out their web site and call or email them.
I have an SWE50 stand that I managed to buy for less than $300. It matches my 50" GWIII perfectly. Nice unit!
post #197 of 4091 Old 10-07-2004, 10:56 AM

I got my 55WF655 yesterday & since it's my first big TV, I am pretty blown away by it all. HD looks incredible (CSI in HD rocks!) & PQ of SD is good. DVD (component) PQ is pretty good OOTB but after tweaks with the THX video test, it is better. Any recommendation on a good video calibration DVD? Or just wait for Sony to release the service codes & umr to supply the magic numbers?

With regards to the TV stand, I'm using a Klubbo table/tv bench from Ikea. It costs 40, has a max load of 154 lbs and it's almost a perfect fit for the TV base. The delivery guy asked did I order it specially for the TV.

Cheers!
post #198 of 4091 Old 10-07-2004, 11:07 AM

CC had the TechCraft stand for the Sony & it does blend in well with the design of the set. We decided to get the one from BB cuz of the added space and what we thought was a "cooler" look (imho - to each his own).
The one we bought looks similar to their Monaco series... I'll let you know once I'm home and look at the booklet that came with it. Normal price on the one I bought is 299$ (which is the same price the TechCraft one is that blends in to the sony).

darrh - curious, how far from your tv do you sit? (I'm about 6-7 feet away with my 42")
post #199 of 4091 Old 10-07-2004, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

I love this forum! I've been following this thread for awhile, and . . .

I'm contemplating the purchase of a 50WF655, but I have a question for anyone who owns one about viewing distance:

My max distance from screen to seating position is around 8 feet. Is this too large a screen for this distance? I am familiar with the 2.5X rule, but have been told that is for SD, and that these displays allow closer viewing.

Thanks!

yb
post #200 of 4091 Old 10-07-2004, 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by yobob
I love this forum! I've been following this thread for awhile, and . . .

I'm contemplating the purchase of a 50WF655, but I have a question for anyone who owns one about viewing distance:

My max distance from screen to seating position is around 8 feet. Is this too large a screen for this distance? I am familiar with the 2.5X rule, but have been told that is for SD, and that these displays allow closer viewing.

Thanks!

yb

You're probably cutting it a little close, but....

The manual for the 55WF quotes 6.6" as the minimum necessary distance from TV to viewing position, you will probably find lots of post on this forum from guys who sit 7 feet away from their 65" CRTs and wish they had a 70", and you'll most likely never regret buying up in size. My .02
post #201 of 4091 Old 10-07-2004, 11:41 AM

Finally bought 55WF655 from Sears this afternoon. It will be delivered on 10/11. Not seen the TV yet but I was getting good deal so took the risk.
post #202 of 4091 Old 10-07-2004, 11:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 17
man u guys have great gutts to buy a huge set without looking and then returning if not like it..lol
post #203 of 4091 Old 10-07-2004, 11:55 AM

I believe the stand I'm getting is a tech craft Monaco. I was kind going between the 2 shelf and single shelf model and went with the single shelf b/c it is lower and I don't want to mess up my viewing angle from my coach. I looks good, but the one the wayde posted is a double shelf and it looks like it is maybe an inch or so taller than the one I chose. It also looks pretty cool and would go well with the 55wf colorwise too.
post #204 of 4091 Old 10-07-2004, 12:10 PM

zoro:
I was weary of that. The sales person told me that he had the TV in stock but couldn't put it out just yet. I told the him I was not buying till I saw it, that's why I have to wait till Sunday to get man b/c they were backed-up. They got it on tuesday and I went forward. It was next to a samsung "Kirk" model and while there was a difference in the picture, the kirk did not look any better then the 55wf.

It's also weird b/c at Hi Fi buys(tweeter) I ask when they were getting displays and he said that most of the tv's that were coming in were already sold, so he could tell me when a display would be up. I guess ppl trust Sony.

munu:
Just curious, how good of a deal did you get on the from sears?
post #205 of 4091 Old 10-07-2004, 12:10 PM

yobob, i have the 42" which is the same model as the 50" except smaller (WE model, not the WF that the 55 and 60 are).

I sit ~7 feet away and find it perfect. People are life size. On standard channels you can see some grainy-ness but HD/digital/DVDs are crystal clear. I think I could go up to 50" if I wanted to, but my wall space won't allow it and since I watch alot of normal TV I went with the 42.
post #206 of 4091 Old 10-07-2004, 12:26 PM

hdiesel1977

Its around 21% off MSRP
post #207 of 4091 Old 10-07-2004, 12:53 PM

munu,
That's pretty good, didn't think sears would go that low, I got about that much off at brandsmart myself.
post #208 of 4091 Old 10-07-2004, 01:57 PM

hdiesel1977 - let me know how the Tech Craft Monaco (PTV 58b?) works for you.

Even better, post a pic if you can!
post #209 of 4091 Old 10-07-2004, 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by wayde
Got my 42 on Tuesday & I love it. BB had it on the floor to look at & that persuaded my brother and I to get it (His is being delivered today.)
Was more than I wanted to spend on a TV, but it was worth it. 55 is nice obviosly, but didn't want to spend 1k more.
Anyway, everything is great - blacks, brightness, color, DVDs, HD, audio!

Here's a pic of my new TV & new stand.

The stand looks quite a bit like the Bush VS74377-03, which I bought for my KF-50WE610.

http://www.bush-furniture-online.com...S74377-03.html
post #210 of 4091 Old 10-07-2004, 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by wayde
darrh - curious, how far from your tv do you sit? (I'm about 6-7 feet away with my 42")

I'm sitting about 8.5 feet away & it actually feels kinda comfortable. I was worried before it arrived that I'll be too close. However, I can move the TV towards the wall to make it 9 feet which I'll most likely be doing.

Cheers!
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page