**Official** Panasonic X54 series TWEAKS & TROUBLESHOOTING Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 387 Old 09-15-2006, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingroach View Post

what is the proper way to get into service mode in PT-53TW53 tv. In panny.tv site it says:

set mode to cable
set sleep to 30
press action twice to exit the menu
go to channel 124
set volume to 0 and press volume down

problem is I cant exit menu by hitting action twice. I need to press channel up button to exit the menu. And the service menu doesnt show up. Is there any other way to get the service menu in 53TW53 tv?

Except for the funky instruction about exiting the service menu the only part that may give you a problem is to set the volume to 0 using the remote then press the volume down (left button) on the panny, not the remote. Look at the earlier post by nohjy of 9-29-04. Instead of exiting the menu using the funky instruction, exit as you normally would Action->ChUP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 387 Old 09-17-2006, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingroach View Post

what is the proper way to get into service mode in PT-53TW53 tv. In panny.tv site it says:

set mode to cable
set sleep to 30
press action twice to exit the menu
go to channel 124
set volume to 0 and press volume down

problem is I cant exit menu by hitting action twice. I need to press channel up button to exit the menu. And the service menu doesnt show up. Is there any other way to get the service menu in 53TW53 tv?

are you pressing volume down on the set itself (ie not the remote)? it's ok to use up to exit the menu, it'll still work. i have a 53tw53 as well, so trust me on this one

Westinghouse 42w2 1.00 | TiVo HD 1TB | Sony DVP-NS70H | Panasonic SA-XR55 | Paradigm Monitor 9 & CC-350 v1 | Harmony 676 | Vista MCE HTPC
post #363 of 387 Old 10-18-2006, 05:44 PM

Hi guys,

I have the panny 53" it's a little over 3 yrs old I think. It's hooked up to a panny RP82 player with component cable and I run it in progressive mode. I am very comfortable getting into the service mode and have done coarse and fine convergence 3 or 4 times since I've had the set. I've also done the manual and electronic focusing. The only problem I think I have that's keeps the picture from being perfect are some artifacts that look a bit like ghosting you might see on standard def tv. I'm hoping you can see the attached pic. If you look between the yellow and blue bars, on the blue side, you can see the faint "ghost'. I don't know if this has any other term. Also between the green and magenta, on the magenta side, you can see 3 of these lines. I wouldn't worry about this so much, but these things appear during movies that are supposed to have excellent transfers such as Lord of the Rings. Most of these appear along straight lines. It really bothers me in shots of blue sky along the top of the picture where it meets the black bar. I can take a photo of that if I need to. Any clues how to make these disappear or am I just gonna have to live with them? Thanks.
LL
post #364 of 387 Old 10-22-2006, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetty View Post

Hi guys,

I have the panny 53" it's a little over 3 yrs old I think. It's hooked up to a panny RP82 player with component cable and I run it in progressive mode. I am very comfortable getting into the service mode and have done coarse and fine convergence 3 or 4 times since I've had the set. I've also done the manual and electronic focusing. The only problem I think I have that's keeps the picture from being perfect are some artifacts that look a bit like ghosting you might see on standard def tv. I'm hoping you can see the attached pic. If you look between the yellow and blue bars, on the blue side, you can see the faint "ghost'. I don't know if this has any other term. Also between the green and magenta, on the magenta side, you can see 3 of these lines. I wouldn't worry about this so much, but these things appear during movies that are supposed to have excellent transfers such as Lord of the Rings. Most of these appear along straight lines. It really bothers me in shots of blue sky along the top of the picture where it meets the black bar. I can take a photo of that if I need to. Any clues how to make these disappear or am I just gonna have to live with them? Thanks.

this looks like a ringing issue - make sure you have VSM turned off and sharpness adjusted appropriately. At least one calibrator has suggested turning *ON* the noise reduction circuitry for these sets, which is counterintuitive to what we generally hear about less processing being better. I forget the explanation, but it helps to reduce ringing artifacts somehow. other than that, i'm out of ideas...

Westinghouse 42w2 1.00 | TiVo HD 1TB | Sony DVP-NS70H | Panasonic SA-XR55 | Paradigm Monitor 9 & CC-350 v1 | Harmony 676 | Vista MCE HTPC
post #365 of 387 Old 01-09-2007, 06:22 AM

I completely screwed up my geometry and convergence. Does anybody know what the factory default HREF, HPOS, PCC, TRAP, BTMG, TPMG, etc are for a pt47x54??? Also, is there any way to RESET everything back to the way the set looked when it shipped to me??? I'm desperate here. Any help is greatly appreciated.
post #366 of 387 Old 01-09-2007, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

mikea posted this about a year ago earlier in this thread, hope it helps.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post7118430
post #367 of 387 Old 02-25-2007, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Does anyone know where exactly the IR sensor is located?
post #368 of 387 Old 03-31-2007, 07:06 PM

I would be forever grateful for advice! I have a Panasonic CT-34WX54. I also just got an Apple TV, which is connected via HDMI. The Apple TV has made it apparent that I have a problem with overscan.

First I played a ripped movie on the Apple TV, and noticed that I wasn't seeing quite a bit of the picture. I would have just lived with this, however... I next tried to play a video that has burned-in subtitles, and 2/3 of the bottom line of the subtitling is not visible. Watching it and trying to figure out what the subtitles said made my head hurt.

I am new to all this, so it took me a while to learn that this cropping is called overscan, that it is normal, etc. etc. I took the time to read almost all of this thread, and I even printed out how to get to the service menu and went to the service menu, but then I was terrified so I exited out.

Anyway, my question is, can someone please tell me what specific parameter it is that I need to adjust in the service menu to get a few more lines at the bottom of the screen?
post #369 of 387 Old 03-31-2007, 07:39 PM

Hello all, I Need some Help with My Panny PT-47wx53. Powers On . But Just as the screen Starts to apear it Shuts Down and the Red Light Flashes 3 times. I Have a Idea Maybe My 1 Year old Grandson Touched the Buttons in front when i was out of the Room, Any Help would Be Great.
post #370 of 387 Old 04-01-2007, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Try pulling the plug for a few minutes and then plug it back in and try to power up. Hope that works.
post #371 of 387 Old 04-03-2007, 06:53 PM

Thanks.
Got it to reset .Now the Convergence Is Way Off . The Blue. Sounds Like i Need a Tech out for some repairs. Any More help would be Great.
Thanks Again
post #372 of 387 Old 11-06-2007, 05:53 AM

Hello,

I realize that this is an old thread, but I have a 53X54 and in my efforts to fix up the fine convergence, I messed up all the rest of the geometry settings, specifically, the screen height and various "stretches" I cannot seem to get back to a perfect circle with my Avia disc... Can anyone tell me what the default settings for my model are... I found them in this thread, but the numbers are not even close to my unit. I do not have settings this high on my tv. the highest they go is 3f... I also need to know how to set the V-S and horizontal Width and stretch... Should I be doing this in 4:3 mode with the Avia disk, or do I use the widescreen enhanced avia test patterns and set the tv to full?

Not achievable on my set below...
vamp 9B
vc 88

The model # on my set is PT-53WX54 and I do not have an auto-convergence feature

Thanks in advance!

Richard
post #373 of 387 Old 11-10-2007, 08:46 AM

I lost the picture on my 47X54. If I leave it up unplugged for a few minutes and plug it back in the power LED comes on for 2-3 seconds then flashes. Any way I can troubleshoot further? The Panasonic rep said this was possibly a blown bulb. Is that a do it yourself job?
post #374 of 387 Old 01-13-2008, 11:24 AM

thank to this great thread i was able to determine that our pt-53wx54j is throwing red all over

the tv was working good just watching dish network few hours a day and then this...

is this a convergence problem that can be fixed in the 'fine' service mode?
i tried pushing the lines around with the 'mute' button etc, but it wouldnt pull the red boxes straight... so i stopped to take pictures before i really destroyed it..

can anyone give me some pointers? since it happened for no reason how do i know if its a convergence issure or component failure?

cheers.

post #375 of 387 Old 01-13-2008, 02:01 PM

meh sounds like a blown circuit from my further research...

http://www.***************.com/fusio...hp?tid/137821/

grrr...

and diy for 10$ woohoo

http://cmpalmer.blogspot.com/2006/11...v-part-ii.html
post #376 of 387 Old 01-13-2008, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrduplos View Post

meh sounds like a blown circuit from my further research...

My pt47x54 has a similar-looking problem, sometimes. So far, it's been enough to turn it off then on, and it comes back with convergence looking ok. It's happened several times after the set has been turned off for a while. Also, perhaps related, the picture looks washed out for a half hour or so after it's turned on. I've just stopped turning it off -- instead, at the end of watching, I turn "picture" and "brightness" controls all the way down, to save the screen.

Greg Lee
post #377 of 387 Old 03-19-2008, 05:58 PM

I have the 53x54 and whites flicker. It seems to flicker between color temps, blue/red maybe but I'm not sure. I'm seeing this on the HDMI, Antenna, and Component inputs so it does not seem to be the source as each sourse is different. Does anyone have any ideas on where to start troubleshooting?

Panny 53x54
JBL HLS Center , JBL HLS 820's
JBL in the rear, Velodyne DPS-10
post #378 of 387 Old 07-05-2008, 08:01 PM

there is a black box on the screen that just came on and i don't know what caused it...i don't think i touched the remote

manual says change closed captioning to text mode

can anyone tell me how to turn on the closed caption? when i go to menu/setup, i can not access the "cc on mute, cc mode", because they are greyed out

i know this thread might be dead but hopefully somebody can help me
post #379 of 387 Old 07-05-2008, 08:24 PM

never mind...i rebooted my dvr and everything is back to normal
post #380 of 387 Old 09-09-2008, 09:09 PM

hi ... I've seen this problem in pay tech sites from a number of people so I'm thinking its a common problem. Wanted to check a forum first, before going to a pay site.
My pt47wx53 will run perfect for various lengths of time then shut down...
the shut down seems to be most often durning high volume explosive scenes on the video. [might be coincedental].
the led then flashes once for about half a second every 3 and a half seconds.
if I unplug then re plug I can start it up again
it runs for less time but normally long enough to finish watching whatever movie I'm watching.
turning it off before it turns itself off seems to let it cool sufficiently to run a few hours later for a couple of hours then it shuts down again.
[I suspect something is overheating]

am wondering if a cooling fan might help somewhere though I don't really want the extra noise.

any help will be appreciated.
post #381 of 387 Old 11-20-2008, 03:22 PM

HELP!

So the overscan on my TV has gotten pretty darn bad... I can get into the service menu, but I have no idea where I am supposed to go for the overscan fix options.

If a kindly soul would guide an absolute (and scared) noob for modifying the position settings, I would super greatly appreciate it. Let me send my thanx in advance!

-jonny
post #382 of 387 Old 12-19-2008, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfjonny View Post

HELP!

So the overscan on my TV has gotten pretty darn bad... I can get into the service menu, but I have no idea where I am supposed to go for the overscan fix options.

If a kindly soul would guide an absolute (and scared) noob for modifying the position settings, I would super greatly appreciate it. Let me send my thanx in advance!

-jonny

I'm having the same issue with mine.
post #383 of 387 Old 01-11-2010, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
If you attempt to adjust for overscan, you will throw off your convergence. So you have to know enough about these things to readjust your set's convergence after adjusting the overscan.

Go back to posts #218 & #236 in this thread for more info.

Otherwise this response is a bump to a Good Ol' Thread about a nice CRT - RPTV of yesteryear.
post #384 of 387 Old 02-03-2010, 09:13 AM

i agree ive had my 53x54 for 5 years pic is still stunning (with the right sources 1080i blu ray) ive seen this set surpass lcd s and some plasmas that are way past its price piont.

marantz sr 6005, marantz ,cd5003 yamaha,c6761sacd pioneer pls50 turntable w / sure m97 xe cart rotel rq 970bx phono amp audioquest type 4 speaker cables ,audioquest g snake interconnects kefq300 ,mains on 28 '' vti stands, mission center,and mission mi 730 surrounds. svs pb10 sub
post #385 of 387 Old 02-03-2010, 09:30 AM

by color adjustments im guessing you are refering to tint, brightness,picture etc if so find a good refrence source ie a dvd or blu ray with shadow and darkness and lots of color,try gladiator.then adjustfrom the middle of each setting plus or minus to get each one looking its best.

marantz sr 6005, marantz ,cd5003 yamaha,c6761sacd pioneer pls50 turntable w / sure m97 xe cart rotel rq 970bx phono amp audioquest type 4 speaker cables ,audioquest g snake interconnects kefq300 ,mains on 28 '' vti stands, mission center,and mission mi 730 surrounds. svs pb10 sub
post #386 of 387 Old 02-04-2010, 06:26 AM

i also have this set bought it 4 years ago and it still rocks

post #387 of 387 Old 02-04-2010, 06:38 AM

were do i find a service manual for this set

Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page