DLP owners who once got headaches/rainbows - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 10-25-2004, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I saw the LG 44" set yesterday at CC and didn't know it was a DLP at first because they are also releasing a 44" LCD. The cabinet was great, price was sweet and the PQ was awesome. I was staring at it for a good 10 minutes. I was intrigued. It looked better then the Sammy next to it. I didn't want to look at the Sammy for long because I see rainbows and get headaches from DLPs. So after thinking I love this set, I started feeling a tightness in my shoulders. Then, I thought, this is an LCD right? So I checked and saw the DLP emblem on the set. Then I left sad and very curious about the set and also began to feel a slight tightness in my neck and shoulders and tired sensation behind my eyes.

I'm normally an anti-DLP (mostly due to bitterness I can't enjoy it) and want to ask something.

Are there any current DLP owners who did at first get headaches from DLPs but that went away?

I'd almost give it a shot because the LG was that nice. I recently got new glasses and had tremendous headaches and returned them. The optometrist said they would go away in a day or so-just my eyes adjusting. So, did any current DLP owners have headaches only to have them subside and currently have no further issues with DLPs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 10-25-2004, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

The first week I had my Mits 52725, I would get severe headaches after about 1 hour of watching. Everyday at work I would think about calling Tweeter to come and pick up the set, but just got bogged down and would postpone the call till the next day.

Over the course of the week, I increased the ambient lighting (before watching int the dark) and also calibrated the set. Now I really have no headaches at all.

I am not sure if the solution was calibration and having some ambient lighting on, or if my brain just got used to it. I am clearly loving this set now.
post #3 of 19 Old 10-25-2004, 09:25 AM

With my Sammy, I was getting slight headaches and eystrain the first week. After that, they went away. I also think turning down the contrast helped. FWIW, that week I also watched the tv exclusively in the dark until I moved it from the basement to the living room.
post #4 of 19 Old 10-25-2004, 10:14 AM

I was getting headaches for the first week or so after getting my 52525. I don't know if it was the big screen size or the DLP. Now I have no problem what so ever.
post #5 of 19 Old 10-25-2004, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So 3 people who did at one time get headaches and eye strain from DLPs were able to have the headaches subside. One thing is a couple of you mention this associated with watching in a dark room. I get the headaches watching at CC in a sun-bright room. So, I wonder if they would increase if i watched in low light conditions. At least there is some positive news. My other concern would be my 3yr old daughter getting headaches (she watches cartoons a few hours a day), or friends and family.
post #6 of 19 Old 10-25-2004, 11:12 AM

I had headaches for about a week or so but I think it was due to the large screen size and brightness, something I wasn't used to. Rainbows were a huge problem for me initially. I could see them in practically in all content under any condition. It took about a month before I made the decision to quit looking for them and, sure enough, they disappeared. Now I have a hard time spotting them even if I try.
post #7 of 19 Old 10-25-2004, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I don't think I ever got headaches, but I did/do see rainbows, but for some reason I don't see them as much now, rarely in fact. I saw them in almost every dark scene before. My mind got used to it somehow.

Matt
post #8 of 19 Old 10-25-2004, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Interesting on the eye strain + headaches. I have also had eyestrain and headaches w/ new glasses/contacts prescriptions (glasses more so than contacts)

I get eye fatigue from sitting in front of a couple of monitors most of the day so I don't use my computer at home much. I also backlight my existing CRT TV to reduce eyestrain. I use a recessed directional (eyeball) lamp to light the wall behind the TV while the rest of the room is lights out.

As far as kids getting headaches and eyestrain I'm not sure they can tell. I'm mean if I watched a 32" TV from 1' away like my 2.5 year old son will attempt to do I'd get a headache in less than 1 min.

Flatpanel LCDs and Plasma is what really gives me headaches though.

But I haven't noticed eyestrain or headaches when looking at DLPs.

CCourtney
post #9 of 19 Old 10-25-2004, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My 3yr used to watch from that distance but now she sits in the sweet spot on the couch which is about 10'. I think if she got a headache she would just stop watching tv and not want to watch it because of them. Just tempted by the LG, but wanted to know if current owners WERE previous sufferers.
post #10 of 19 Old 10-26-2004, 01:28 AM

I am four days into the purchase of my Mits 52725 (DLP) and am seeing rainbows everywhere ... I really love everything else about the set and have about a month to return it ... am I to understand then that those who are afflicted w/ rainbows initially, do in fact become desensitised over time? ... if so, I might hold off on returning the set and wait out the full month.

Do most who see rainbows at first stop seeing them eventually, or just a few are so blessed? Is there consensus opinion on this issue?
post #11 of 19 Old 10-26-2004, 06:21 AM

I saw rainbows at first mainly because of this forum and going looking for them. Then they went away. They have come back in the past few weeks but I think thats from being tired from very little sleep watching the sox kick ass!
post #12 of 19 Old 10-26-2004, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Rainbows were a problem for me and one of my sons on a HLN567, now neither of us see them on our HLP6163.

Joe V.
post #13 of 19 Old 10-26-2004, 08:34 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally posted by Metagroboliser
I am four days into the purchase of my Mits 52725 (DLP) and am seeing rainbows everywhere ... I really love everything else about the set and have about a month to return it ... am I to understand then that those who are afflicted w/ rainbows initially, do in fact become desensitised over time? ... if so, I might hold off on returning the set and wait out the full month.

Do most who see rainbows at first stop seeing them eventually, or just a few are so blessed? Is there consensus opinion on this issue?
You're going to have to return your DLP do to rainbows. Those rainbows are not going to go away, you will continue you to see them even beyond your 30 day return period.
post #14 of 19 Old 10-26-2004, 10:36 AM

My wife also suffered headaches and eye strain in the first couple of weeks after I bought my DLP. The solution for her was to move the sofa back a couple of feet (it's probably 16' away from the screen now!).

She never saw rainbows and I only saw them when moving my eyes quickly from one side of the screen to the other. I still occassionally see them in high contrast scenes, but it's so infrequent that it doesn't bother me.
post #15 of 19 Old 10-26-2004, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Auditor55
You're going to have to return your DLP do to rainbows. Those rainbows are not going to go away, you will continue you to see them even beyond your 30 day return period.
A number of people just stated that they did in fact go away, myself included. Who knows, he may have the same experience.
post #16 of 19 Old 10-26-2004, 03:10 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Bob
A number of people just stated that they did in fact go away, myself included. Who knows, he may have the same experience.

hopefully so, but at over 4k for a set, its too risky.
post #17 of 19 Old 10-26-2004, 05:12 PM

My experience parallels several people in that I saw rainbows a lot during the first week I owned the Samsung DLP. However after a month or so they faded and I hardly see them any more. I have had a Samsung DLP for almost two years, and rainbows are not an issue. My wife and two sons never saw them. Headaches and eye strain were never an issue for anyone in my family.
post #18 of 19 Old 10-26-2004, 06:20 PM

Have a 50" Sammy HLP. Ditto on the headaches and eye strain for the first few weeks. Both have since gone away completely. In my case, I think it was an adjustment to size/brightness of TV (previously primarily watched non-HD on a 36" CRT). The fact that I had very high amounts of viewing of the Sammy (esp. the amazing HD channels) in the first few weeks probably added to some of the initial eye strain/headache issues as well. Once I became accustomed to the Sammy, have had no issues since.
post #19 of 19 Old 10-26-2004, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MATTZS
I was getting headaches for the first week or so after getting my 52525. I don't know if it was the big screen size or the DLP. Now I have no problem what so ever.
Wow, so I didn't have a tumor after all! The first week I had my set, I only had regular ol' NTSC coming in. With all of the baseball goings on, I was forced to watch on "narrow" mode (4x3). The green fields contrasted greatly, and the pixalation was horrible. That, and I was playing mad scientist getting all of the new hardware hooked up and making sure I was getting the most from my 52" DLP. Here is what I have done since owning the set. Now, no headaches.

-Turned down the sharpness (about 15)
-Bumped up each other color setting a tad.
-Kept the ambient light more moderate (not too high, not too low)
-Got a Set Top box (softer color transitions than NTSC) with High Def' !
-Dumped my girl friend (i.e. even more TV watching time...)
-Watch movies from the further back sofa.
Closed Thread Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page